PDA

View Full Version : Dark City

resolve
19th September 09, 01:11 AM
Just watched this film. Got it from the bargain bin in Best Buy.

I have to say it is absolutely amazing and I keep wracking my brain to remember why I didn't watch this the first time around! It just totally flew under my radar.

Basically take a storyline like The Matrix (it's fairly transparent so no real spoilers there) and then:

Add:
1 part 10x better actors
1 part moodier feel due to a mish-mash of cultural eras and well, darkness
a little dash of a singing Jennifer Connelly
Stir in with a darker protagonist and much darker antagonists
garnish with a few not overly done but decent little plot twists

Take away:
Robots
Technobabble
Smoother hollywood transitions
Slick future technopunk atmosphere

That's it in a nutshell. I won't give away the ending (which was awesome!) but for me it just felt like a much more complete film than the Matrix even though it ended with almost as many questions. I only watched Matrix 1+2 (because I hated 2 so so very much I couldn't bear to watch another) so I never saw how 3 ended but everyone told me it sucked anyways.

I like how it takes a creative spin on the age-old philosophical problem of "this world is just an illusion".

I definitely recommend.

socratic
19th September 09, 01:33 AM
Dark City is an amazing flick. VERY good. It's no wonder the Wichowski brothers plagiarised from it. I say plagiarised because I can find a few scenes in the latter Matrix films that are more or less shot-for-shot for their Dark City predecessors.

For a better idea of the plot without spoilers, think "man wakes up in incriminating circumstances, has amnesia, seeks truth".

Ajamil
19th September 09, 01:38 AM
I didn't think Dark City was like The Matrix at all. And you forgot to mention the greatness that is Keifer Sutherland. I deem this review only half done.

Shut it down!!! Shut it down, FOREVER!!!

resolve
19th September 09, 02:03 AM
I actually had a hard time buying Kiefer as the good Dr at first until later in the film where it seems he made his acting alot better. It seemed at that halfway point he really nailed the character and all his affectations and such. But the first point I was kind of like "this doesn't seem like this character should be this way". Really, aside from some other little nitpicks it was my only complaint about the film. I will hand it to him though, the last few scenes of the Dr were really good and Kiefer really brought the magic out for that.

elipson
19th September 09, 05:07 AM
Ya its amazing how much the Matrix stole from this film alone.

partyboy
19th September 09, 06:58 AM
i hope you're talking about the director's cut

nihilist
19th September 09, 09:02 AM
Jennifer Connelly has the acting skills of a blind mollusk.

CoffeeFan
19th September 09, 09:47 AM
Dark City is an underrepresented film nior/ sci fi gem

Ajamil
19th September 09, 10:48 AM
Speaking of underrepresented, does City of Lost Children have it's own thread, or should we start one?

resolve
19th September 09, 11:29 AM
i hope you're talking about the director's cut

Yes.

Speaking of underrepresented, does City of Lost Children have it's own thread, or should we start one?

I've ordered it to watch for my French language class so when I watch it I'll make a review :) If you want to review it though, go right ahead! Nobody is stopping you! Unleash your creative ability to review someone else's creative ability!

boondock lee
19th September 09, 12:17 PM
I had just recently found out about this movie. I'm now going to have to find it and see it.

DAYoung
19th September 09, 06:20 PM
All that, and Melissa George's ebullient beauty.

GREAT film.

bob
19th September 09, 07:38 PM
* adds to chorus of approval *

partyboy
19th September 09, 11:06 PM
Jennifer Connelly has the acting skills of a blind mollusk.

and this matters...why?

http://www.realnipples.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/jennifer_connelly_nude_001.jpg

socratic
20th September 09, 04:00 AM
I didn't think Dark City was like The Matrix at all. And you forgot to mention the greatness that is Keifer Sutherland. I deem this review only half done. The several parts of the final fight scene in Dark City are copied shot-for-shot in the final fight in the final Matrix film.

Shut it down!!! Shut it down, FOREVER!!!Maybe one day, I'll work for you.

nihilist
20th September 09, 10:27 AM
and this matters...why?

http://www.realnipples.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/jennifer_connelly_nude_001.jpg

If I want bad acting, I'll watch pr0n.

WarPhalange
22nd September 09, 12:46 AM
I've seen the movies Darkman and Sin City. Does that count?

theotherserge
22nd September 09, 12:58 AM
Bladerunner, Strange Days and Dark City for the trifecta!

Connellingus sux but is good eye-candy. I didn't like the boffo-ending when the whole movie had been so subtle and complex. If dude really is awakening or whatever it was, why all the flying around and Scannerz-brain farting?

Keifer did a cool old school-Quasimoto-sort of send-up.

Still loved it, I haven't seen the director's cut though.

AAAhmed46
26th September 09, 07:43 PM
I enjoyed it, though it felt a bit rushed in how it ended with the super battle.

AAAhmed46
26th September 09, 07:43 PM
If I want bad acting, I'll watch pr0n.

What movie is that from? I must wank to it, better then pron.

socratic
27th September 09, 06:31 AM
I liked the final battle. So did the Wichowski brothers. So much that they copied it for the final battle in Matrix Revolutions.

EuropIan
27th September 09, 06:58 AM
*jumps on Dark City bandwagon*

Spade: The Real Snake
27th September 09, 12:18 PM
I have posted several times on Dark City and it's impact/influence on other notable sci-fi films.

The main thing that could have made Dark City better would have been replacing Rufus Sewell with....well, anyone. I hated Rufus Sewell in that movie.

As for Sutherland, it was his breathy stutter that made him hard to accept at first, until you got used to it and it made the character more sympathetic.

theotherserge
28th September 09, 12:06 AM
there seems to be a trend to these things: Keanu, Rufus, Wynona, Hammil, etc Shitty actors at the head of really kewl Sci-fi films.

Maybe they just have to "Make it so!"

http://whatitslikeontheinside.com/uploaded_images/Make-It-So-776665.jpg

AAAhmed46
28th September 09, 11:43 AM
I liked the final battle. So did the Wichowski brothers. So much that they copied it for the final battle in Matrix Revolutions.

It was cool no doubt, especially the time it was made. But still...felt rushed. Maybe they just didn't have the budget.

I know "The One' with jet li suffered from bugdet problems, according to director commentary.

28th September 09, 11:52 AM
I know "The One' with jet li suffered from bugdet problems, according to director commentary.

Morgan and Wong were X-Files writer and producers, they should know how to work within a smaller budget

mrblackmagic
28th September 09, 03:39 PM
there seems to be a trend to these things: Keanu, Rufus, Wynona, Hammil, etc Shitty actors at the head of really kewl Sci-fi films.

Maybe they just have to "Make it so!"

http://whatitslikeontheinside.com/uploaded_images/Make-It-So-776665.jpg

[Michael Bay]B and C list actors means more money for 'splosions.[/Michael Bay]

With the exception of A.I., a sci-fi movie isn't going to get an A-list director, one or more A-list actors, and digital city scoured by Aliens/Robots/Mutants that cost 500,000 per 15 seconds of film. At best with studio sci-fi, you get two, Aliens/Robots/Mutants and Will Smith/Shia Lebouf.

Most just opt for the special effects as that's what sinks or floats a good sci-fi movie these days.

AAAhmed46
6th October 09, 07:44 PM
Morgan and Wong were X-Files writer and producers, they should know how to work within a smaller budget

Good point. They were just making excuses then?

To be honest i just got the DVD to get to see the pu kua vs hsing i.

6th October 09, 10:17 PM
Good point. They were just making excuses then?
If they want to make excuses, they should make excuses for under-utilizing Jason Stratham and Delroy Lindo.

Overall The One wasn't bad, but not as good as it could have been.