PDA

View Full Version : FOOD: Fuel vs Enjoyment

Steve
13th September 09, 06:04 AM
I have a sick fascination with food, it is a tool that should not be played with lightly.

But then there are those that like food, the "foodies," as I like to call them. Those that like to eat because of the taste. Consumer culture is to blame, of course, but what is to save us when every commercial is minus Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction or the Burger King showing up in your bed?

Point being, we are fed food everyday via the media and cable, the glorified idea of food being enjoyable is foreign to me. Am I the only one that considers how it effects me when I eat it over taste?

Kiko
13th September 09, 06:52 AM
But but but....
It's an art... it's a form of nurturing...and and ... CHOCOLATE!

Sorry, I just ate an Asiago cheese bagel, toasted, buttered with a schmear of cream cheese. NUMM!

So if you didn't have to eat to fuel your body you wouldn't? Do you eat stuff that's just bland and handy?

Wait, I've seen you post about hot sauce on pizza...

Steve
13th September 09, 07:06 AM
I put mustard on pizza too.

Kiko
13th September 09, 08:04 AM
So either you DO care about how it tastes...

Or you like to waste condiments, or like the colors!

danno
13th September 09, 08:04 AM
i'm kinda the same. but i do love oysters. and chocolate.

Truculent Sheep
13th September 09, 08:06 AM
Both extremes have their roots in evolution. Enjoying food (and so eating lots of it or focussing on its quality) allowed certain benefits in 'famine or feast' conditions. Whereas, not having much of an appetite and being selective about food granted an advantage in conditions where there was a lot of food available but not all of it was edible. Obviously the former is more lucrative than the latter from a food company's perspective, hence the saturation of 'EATEATEATEATEAT' messages transmitted through our media.

Steve
13th September 09, 08:22 AM
i'm kinda the same. but i do love oysters. and chocolate.

Cheese.

danno
13th September 09, 08:24 AM
yeah, good cheese can be pretty awesome.

socratic
13th September 09, 08:45 AM
I'm about 3/4ths taste and 1/4 efficiency. I know I should care more about what it does to me, but goddamnit it, I'm eating that fucking chicken schnitzel and chips for lunch and fuck the salad, 'cause it tastes like red-onion-ass.

I'd make a shit bodybuilder. Not because I don't have the work ethic, but because I couldn't restrict myself like that.

socratic
13th September 09, 08:55 AM
It sounds to me, STEEV, that it isn't that you don't care about taste, you've just habituated eating for efficiency/nutrition's sake. You still enjoy/desire good tasting food but you've ingrained into yourself eating 'properly'.

Kein Haar
13th September 09, 09:10 AM
Consumer culture is to blame for what now?

Eating is a survival mechanism.

People have always been kind of interested in it. Not unlike boning.

Truculent Sheep
13th September 09, 10:01 AM
It's not consumer culture that's to blame. It's human instinct.

Dark Helmet
13th September 09, 10:18 AM
I put mustard on pizza too.
I've spread BBQ on it. Really improves a tasteless pizza.

I've seen people put mayo on their pizza. I think those people are crazy.

Kiko
13th September 09, 10:23 AM
If your pizza is tasteless, you need to find a new pizzeria!

jnp
13th September 09, 10:32 AM
If I cook for myself, I make the minimal effort necessary to prepare the meal. This usually means I'll eat leftovers, or slap a sandwich together. In this case, for me, food is fuel.

If I'm cooking for my family, or others, I make much more of an effort. Unfortunately, I'm one of the slowest cooks on the planet. When I was a stay at home dad this meant I'd have to start cooking two hours before mealtime to whip up something semi-passable. Good times.

There are few things I enjoy more than a fine meal with good company however. Both the wife and I love going to friends houses who are good cooks, or going to restaurants that serve really good food, whether they are expensive or not.

Steve
13th September 09, 02:48 PM
To eat is to live for me, and since I'm dating a chef, I have to consider what I want to eat vs what I have to eat. Taste never enters into it outside of it being good tasting food. I think I would give it all up for a drip of nutrients that would allow me to gain muscle and drop weight if I could.

Cullion
13th September 09, 04:39 PM
I love food like it's an artform.

HappyOldGuy
13th September 09, 04:44 PM
Paying attention to your food and savoring it is the best way to eat healthy. The fatties are the ones shoving it barely tasted in their gaping maws.

Cullion
13th September 09, 04:48 PM
That seems to work for the French pretty well.

elipson
13th September 09, 08:20 PM
I love food. I'm always the slowest eater amongst my friends.

Steve, I feel an overwhelming sense of.... sadness... for you.

I'm going to go eat something tasty to cheer myself up now.

HappyOldGuy
13th September 09, 08:26 PM
The happyoldlady made a quichie kind of thing with queso fresco, anaheim peppers, onions, etc, and I have flank steak marinating in lime, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, and oil. Gonna grill that up and serve it with the quiche.

Cooking helps me pay attention to my food.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th September 09, 08:31 PM

i hate you fuckers. you're always only like halfway done by the time everyone else finishes and then we have to wait on your retarded ass so we can leave. why do you take so long? the food is just going to get cold.

bob
13th September 09, 08:45 PM
Oddly the experts say that, along with paying attention to your food, you should pay attention to the consequences of your eating. Fat people supposedly are good at ignoring dirty dishes and empty packets.

Harpy
13th September 09, 09:12 PM
*sits on empty chip bag*

Say what?

This thread is just Steve's way of telling us:

1. He's dating (gender unknown)

Toby Christensen
13th September 09, 09:14 PM
Steve,

As both a person with "manorexia" (55kg) and having spent some time as a fat twat, (110kg) let me say that even with Australian cuisine only really coming good private restaurant and franchise wise in the past 20 years...

FOOD IS GOOD.

VERY
VERY
GOOD

I can UNDERSTAND your blaise attitude to it; I had the problem when I was underweight.

But I mean even Macca's has an Angus Beef Burger now!

I'm medium weight now.

And the other posters are right. Even the humble meat pie or lamington is an artform. In my bro's restaurant, so is the ploughman's lunch, caulifower cheese or peppered beef.

Steve
13th September 09, 09:25 PM

Please don't. I enjoy good tasting food like the rest of humanity.

I just consider first how it will effect me before I delve into what is presented before me. As I'm sure you are aware, the portion sizes here in America are ridiculous. I can hardly finish my first helping but I feel bad about not going back for seconds when someone cooks good food.

resolve
13th September 09, 11:29 PM
When people cook good food for me here in the heartland I simply take the last half of the first helping and the second helping home with me.

It shows that you loved their food and can't wait to nuke that shit up tomorrow for lunch but also that you are truly concerned about your fatness.

HappyOldGuy
13th September 09, 11:44 PM
I just consider first how it will effect me before I delve into what is presented before me. As I'm sure you are aware, the portion sizes here in America are ridiculous. I can hardly finish my first helping but I feel bad about not going back for seconds when someone cooks good food.

Step 1: Buy reasonable portion sized dishes
Step 2: Cook
Step 3: Profit

resolve
14th September 09, 12:08 AM
One thing I've found ridiculous though... is that reasonably sized portion dishes are (as a rule of thumb) way more expensive than oversized portion dishes.

It just doesn't make sense to me... so I just stick to buying ingredients these days, getting the guys at the restaurant to make me chicken/shrimp fried rice or some kind of vegetable stir fry, and eating out only when I go out with friends and ordering smaller things like appetizers or splitting a dessert.

danno
14th September 09, 01:38 AM
i once saw this massively obese woman eating 3 meals to herself at a chinese restaurant.

with 1 can of diet coke.

Harpy
14th September 09, 01:44 AM
You told me you would keep it a secret!

danno
14th September 09, 01:51 AM
i had my fingers crossed behind my back at the time, rendering all promises null and void.

Neildo
14th September 09, 02:51 AM
i'm about to eat filipino sausages on rice. pretty basic, some might say bland. i'm going to savour every delicious bite. what might be fuel for some is enjoyment for others.

Steve
14th September 09, 02:59 AM
Neil, you proved my point exactly.

Kiko
14th September 09, 06:21 AM
i'm about to eat filipino sausages on rice. pretty basic, some might say bland. i'm going to savour every delicious bite. what might be fuel for some is enjoyment for others.

And it's not blended? Yaaay! Enjoy it!

socratic
14th September 09, 06:37 AM
i once saw this massively obese woman eating 3 meals to herself at a chinese restaurant.

with 1 can of diet coke.Few, good thing she was on diet, that extra sugar is a killer.

EuropIan
14th September 09, 07:40 AM
I have a sick fascination with food, it is a tool that should not be played with lightly.

But then there are those that like food, the "foodies," as I like to call them. Those that like to eat because of the taste. Consumer culture is to blame, of course, but what is to save us when every commercial is minus Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction or the Burger King showing up in your bed?

Point being, we are fed food everyday via the media and cable, the glorified idea of food being enjoyable is foreign to me. Am I the only one that considers how it effects me when I eat it over taste?
I'm never cooking for you again.. and the term foodies= gourmet?

MrGalt
14th September 09, 12:07 PM
I just consider how much time and money it takes to eat at all. If the Jetsons meal replacement pills were real, I'd buy a box and turn my kitchen into a walk-in closet.

Toby Christensen
14th September 09, 09:56 PM
I just consider how much time and money it takes to eat at all. If the Jetsons meal replacement pills were real, I'd buy a box and turn my kitchen into a walk-in closet.

I second this. Why can we NOT make food pills for 3rd world people and people with eating disorders, in the least?

"Oh no, lack of food culture" False. The women (and it predominantly women who cook in a lot of these cultures) would be able to survive, thrive and lactate to feed their babies and retaining numerous

"Stopgap measure!" Perhaps, but have you seen the physical and mental state of anorexics?
They are NOT interested in solids. They are MORE likely to pop a pill because the mental health system is very much a tablet culture anyway.

We wouldn't want to actually keep people ALIVE, after all.

resolve
15th September 09, 08:25 AM
I have seen so many obese people come into the restaurant, learn that we don't have buffet 24/7 and then raise a shitstorm of drama and bawww it's gotten beyond the point of reconciling with reason.

I also hate it when people who obviously have a serious problem come in and demand tons of food. Yes, they pay for it... but goddamn... NO you do NOT need 12 pieces of crab rangoon along with your large (2 adult portions) sized meal and endless refills of soda. Of course then they always leave a huge mess and never tip... cuz they have to save that money for more food and all.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Crappage/MOAR.jpg

^^^^
An actual patron, I'm sure.

Cullion
15th September 09, 03:46 PM
Sometimes the best meals are the simplest, but I never think as food purely in terms of fuel. If I want a simple chicken salad I still go and buy the ingredients seperately so I have fresh peppers and spring onions, real chicken breast, real french dressing, some fresh green herbs, a little shredded beetroot, som pine nuts etc.. in there.

Robot Jesus
13th April 10, 07:46 PM
(forgot about this thread, responding to first post)

you keep talking, but I I hear is "I've never met anyone who could cook".

bad food is the result of consumerist culture. good food is being killed every day by consumerist culture. you have things backwards. thxkby

Toby Christensen
13th April 10, 08:49 PM
I'm currently on a diet of steamed veggies, fish and water.

Good:

Very rapid loss of bloat etc
Clearer thinking
Cheap

Bad:

Low energy
Other drives not working so well.

This combined with walking helps a lot though.

Zendetta
13th April 10, 09:22 PM
"Bread and water can so easily become Tea and Toast"

Food, like Sex, should delight ALL of the senses. I suppose you could eat just for subsistence, just like you could (theoretically) just fuck to propagate the species.

But you'd be missing out.

Cullion
14th April 10, 05:18 AM
Steve, is it all really just fuel to you ? I thought you loved a good strong cheese ?

Ajamil
14th April 10, 09:32 AM
Cheese is neither food nor fuel, but curdled love juices of the gods.

Kiko
14th April 10, 09:37 AM
Don't forget Bacon!

Bacon can be an adventure!

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129139268144427420.jpg

Robot Jesus
14th April 10, 06:22 PM
hay STEEVE

take some beef neck cut into one inch cubes

sear it in a pan in some high smoke point oil. allways put less in the pan then will fit, cold things cool down hot things, and you want the pan hot.

put beef in roasting pan

add some onions to the pan and let brown on medium low for about 20 minuets. add a few generous pinches of flour, enough so that all the oil is sopped up, but not so much that there is a dough or any other non onion solids visible.

pour a bottle of cheap red wine in there and scrape up everything stuck to the bottom of the pan, throw in some demi glaze if you have it ( but I'm guessing you don't make it, am I right?). throw that in the roasting pan, also throw in some thyme, parsley and bay leaf tied up into a bundle in there. toss in a few roughly cut carrots. slap on the lid and cook at 200 for 4 hours. take off the lid and crack the head up to 350 for an hour.

enjoy with roasted potatoes, a decent bottle of red, and the knowledge that you simply don't understand food.

Now how was that consumerist?

Steve
14th April 10, 11:05 PM
RJ, my good man, I have been exposed to many styles of home cooked and upper end restaurant dishes, I can appreciate quality and flavor (hence my love of cheese). For example, a gf of mine was a professional chef (as I mentioned). She made chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese with home made mac n' cheese the first time she came to my apartment. It's just that I don't get excited at the thought of a "special" meal, in fact I often can only think of the wasted calories (that meal in particular, mentioned above, must have been close to 2000 cal).

I may not be an aficionado on the subject, but I do know what good food is.

/gump

Phrost
15th April 10, 02:20 PM
Saturday through Thursday, it's fuel.

Friday it's OMGFUCKYEAH GRAVY COVERED PIZZA NACHOS

Robot Jesus
15th April 10, 02:54 PM
your very close to the wonderment that is poutine.
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-01/poutine.jpg

beats nachos every time.

Robot Jesus
15th April 10, 02:56 PM
RJ, my good man, I have been exposed to many styles of home cooked and upper end restaurant dishes, I can appreciate quality and flavor (hence my love of cheese). For example, a gf of mine was a professional chef (as I mentioned). She made chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese with home made mac n' cheese the first time she came to my apartment. It's just that I don't get excited at the thought of a "special" meal, in fact I often can only think of the wasted calories (that meal in particular, mentioned above, must have been close to 2000 cal).

I may not be an aficionado on the subject, but I do know what good food is.

/gump

so you just can't relax enough to enjoy it?

Ajamil
15th April 10, 03:40 PM
I just try to work in nice restaurants. The I get gourmet food for half price. Enjoying my provolone grilled cheese with fries and a tomato basil soup right now. Mmmmm.

Steve
15th April 10, 04:26 PM
so you just can't relax enough to enjoy it?

Well I don't have a half bottle of vodka and a few beers each night to calm me down. Maybe I should look into that.

Steve
15th April 10, 04:30 PM
BTW, tonight I'll be joining a couple old friends for some sushi. I will enjoy the meal but that doesn't mean that I'm not considering it when deciding what I had for breakfast today and what I'm going to have for lunch. Gotta keep some room open for the large meal I'll be having tonight.

Toby Christensen
15th April 10, 04:37 PM
Poutin is very close to chips and gravy. But I find chips and gravy unsatisfying.

Robot Jesus
15th April 10, 05:03 PM
Well I don't have a half bottle of vodka and a few beers each night to calm me down. Maybe I should look into that.
a change in employment scheduling led me to less self destructive habits. odd that i didn't go though any withdraw.

and vodka is the low calorie intoxicant.

Cullion
15th April 10, 05:11 PM
It depends how long you sustained it for and whether it was truly every day. It's possible for some people to drink like that for a while without becoming a physically dependant alcoholic, but you probably made your liver cry nonetheless.

Toby Christensen
15th April 10, 05:18 PM
I used to lash out on 12 double whiskies or six glasses of beer every drinking day.

(There is anecdotal evidence to support improved balance co-ordination and other functions in people with CP)

Now unsurprisingly I hate alcohol.

Ajamil
15th April 10, 09:41 PM
Speaking of alcohol, I'm continuing my whiskey education with a Rare Eagle 10 yr old single barrel Kentucky whiskey. I like Glenfiddich better, but its nice.

Steve
16th April 10, 03:43 AM
SswoIpeKqPw

YOXw9tav3Qg

hpzgLKRCm3U

Robot Jesus
16th April 10, 03:07 PM
NgWn7zbgxZ4

TheMightyMcClaw
19th April 10, 04:38 PM
YOXw9tav3Qg

I think I just fell in love.