PDA

View Full Version : Deep Fried Butter or Texans seceding through death

Ajamil
7th September 09, 02:30 PM
Thank you, NPR. (http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/09/fair_explores_new_frontier_in.html)

http://media.npr.org/assets/blogs/health/images/2009/09/friedbutter.jpg?s=12

New Frontier In Fatty Food: Deep-Fried Butter

5:05 var am_pm = 'PM'; var am_pm_lower = am_pm.toLowerCase(); document.write(' ' + am_pm_lower); pm
September 4, 2009

By Scott Hensley

Deep-fried butter. Just writing those words gives us a warm feeling in our stomach and more viscous blood in our arteries.

Crazy as it sounds, the stuff's for real. If you're brave enough, you can can sample some in a couple of weeks at the State Fair of Texas. The Dallas fair lays claim to being the birthplace of the corn dog (http://www.fsafood.com/fsacom/About+Us/Distribution+Areas/Branch+Locations/Portland/History+of+Corn+Dogs.html) and is also known as the "Fried Food Capital of Texas."

Those butter bombs, which we can't get out of mind, are finalists in a contest held over Labor Day weekend (http://www.bigtex.com/foodlocator/) each year to pick foods that will be featured at the fair, starting Sept. 25.

Creator Abel Gonzales concedes the idea of deep-fried butter disgusts most people when they first hear about it. "But I'm not actually taking a hunk of butter and just putting in a fryer," he told NBC News. "That would be kind of gross."

Instead, he wraps a dollop of frozen, whipped butter inside sweetened dough and quickly fries it. The result supposedly tastes like the most buttery bread you've ever had.

In the fried-food wars, Gonzalez has a tough act to follow--himself. At fairs past, he's trotted out fried peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwiches; fried cookie dough and fried Coke. The editorial page of the Dallas Morning News speculated (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/editorials/stories/DN-friedbutter_0905edi.State.Edition1.2dc92d2.html), with a greasy tongue in cheek we think, that his next act may be fried fistful of Crisco.

Last year's winners were fried banana split for creativity and chicken-fried bacon (http://www.bigtex.com/foodlocator/ChoiceAwards.asp), served with ranch dressing or honey mustard sauce, for best taste. Gonzalez had to settle for finalist, with his entry Fire and Ice, a deep-fried, battered pineapple ring adorned with whipped cream frozen solid with liquid nitrogen.

This time around the competition includes Green Goblins, deep-fried cherry peppers filled with shredded chicken and guacamole; deep-fried peaches and cream; and Texas-fried pecan pie, just to name a few. Mmmm.
Not sure what else to say to this. I'd like to try (or even know how he does it) deep fried Coke). Green Goblins also sound bangin. There's a video of the man at work on the webpage.

Steve
7th September 09, 03:39 PM
I had a mild heart attack just reading that.

Kid Miracleman
7th September 09, 05:24 PM
I live in the DFW area and already made plans to attend the State Fair with my family... this is just icing (er, butter?) on the cake.

I'm seriously tempted to bring a video camera along to chronicle my inevitable hospitalization.

Kid Miracleman
7th September 09, 05:27 PM
Oh, and here's more info on Fried Coke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke

Ajamil
7th September 09, 05:33 PM
Not at all the same as getting fried on coke.

socratic
7th September 09, 06:32 PM
I've had deep-fried mars bars. That shit is serially delicious.

Cullion
7th September 09, 06:46 PM
For shame.

Harpy
7th September 09, 09:17 PM
Reading that made me feel ill.

Long live America.

resolve
7th September 09, 11:11 PM
wat

jnp
7th September 09, 11:19 PM
I grew up in Dallas. The horror stories I used to hear about recycled grease at the state fair put me off eating there for good. Although, there's a good chance they were more urban myth than reality.

Still, there were plenty of rats to be seen at the state fair if you looked hard enough. It's not out of the realm of possibility for one to fall in the grease vat at night and not be noticed the next morning when the cook fires it up.

How about a little deep fried rat flavor with that corndog?

Ajamil
7th September 09, 11:24 PM
I'd say good for you for reducing the rat population. It's not like you'd eat the rat, and the deep fryer must keep the bacterial spread to a minimum.

resolve
7th September 09, 11:44 PM
How can... people... eat that?

I remember hearing about deep fried oreos coming out of Texas a few years back and hearing it with disbelief.

Man it just takes a little more work to avoid all the crappy food and then people go out of their way to make even crappier food for you.

I've literally started to become ill to things with preservatives and massive amounts of corn syrup in them. And then I look around at all the people getting more and more obese and I think "how can they do that to their bodies? Your body is your temple for Christ's sake! It's all you really physically have in this life that's truly yours and you can't take care of it?" I mean I feel terrible when I get Ice Cream more than a few times per week. I don't know how people can do this fried everything stuff. The closest I can get is a couple of Krispy Kremes and even then I feel ill (although the ridiculous sugar rush helps).

socratic
8th September 09, 07:48 AM
When you see things like this and go "How can you eat that?" you have to remember that fat and sugar are some of the most powerful sources of tastiness in food. Anything cooked in ghee will guaranteed taste a shitload better than if it were cooked in extra virgin olive oil, as a silly example.

Take something tasty, multiply its tastiness by 5 million, and you've got this kind of stuff right here.

Shawarma
8th September 09, 07:55 AM
I recently read somebody arguing that health care reform was sorely needed in the US, citing the low life expectancy of Americans as proof.

Shit like this has more to do with Americans dying early than the health care system IMO.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th September 09, 08:03 AM
blah blah blah i'm better than fat people

i think eating for them is a habit. I've hung out with fat people. I mean FAT people, the kind you see at Hometown Buffet, and they're always eating. Walking from one class to another and they'll stop to get some chips, or they'll make a sandwich or two while playing a video game and they always have to make up some popcorn when watching a movie. I think the difference between the chubby and the morbidly obese is whether it's one bag of chips or four.

I've always been one of those guys that can appear to eat everything in sight faster than you thought food could fit into a mouth and not gain a pound. The secret is that I just spent all day not eating and being thin and now I'm fucking hungry.

resolve
11th September 09, 09:48 AM
Just wait until you turn 23-25 or so when metabolism decides to railroad your ass.

That's exactly what happened to me, I got "husky" very quickly (remember the Fat Club thread?) and then I decided I needed to do something about it.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th September 09, 09:51 AM
not gonna happen

resolve
11th September 09, 10:00 AM
That's what I said :-/

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th September 09, 10:03 AM
all the men in the family have been slim throughout their life, except for my dad who eats all the damn time.

They're also tall so I like to pretend that I'm not done growing.

Cullion
12th September 09, 07:29 PM
You just made Texas sound like a hot, dry version of Scotland.

EuropIan
12th September 09, 08:20 PM
You just made Texas sound like a hot, dry version of Scotland.
Texas is anything but dry...the humidity KILLS

Ajamil
12th September 09, 11:53 PM
Which part? Though I loathe to say it - Texas is big.

EuropIan
12th September 09, 11:56 PM
I remember disembarking from a plane in Dallas and have the humidity hit me like a wall.

Kid Miracleman
13th September 09, 12:02 AM
I remember disembarking from a plane in Dallas and have the humidity hit me like a wall.Be thankful you didn't disembark in Houston.

Kid Miracleman
1st October 09, 01:30 AM
So I went to the State Fair of Texas this past Saturday. I indulged in the following:

Grilled Gator
Deep Fried Peaches & Cream
Chicken Fried Bacon
Corn Dog
Fried Snickers
Fried Coke
Fried Pork Chips
Fried Pecan Pie
Fried Twinkie
Green Goblins (green peppers stuffed with chicken, deep fried, and smothered with cheese)
Deep Fried Butter

I'm getting ready to turn in for the night, so I'll go into more detail and give my impressions on each item tomorrow. This was my first time eating genuine "fair food," so it was an interesting experience to say the least.

Also, I regret nothing.

Zendetta
1st October 09, 01:34 AM
Sweet Jebus. I puked so hard it shot out my nose.

The Green Goblins sound awesome though.

Zendetta
1st October 09, 01:40 AM
I recently read somebody arguing that health care reform was sorely needed in the US, citing the low life expectancy of Americans as proof.

Shit like this has more to do with Americans dying early than the health care system IMO.

Wow, you make a great point.

When the bleeding hearts out here start with their "health care is a human right!" bullshit, I'm going to tell them that, as if deep-fried twinkies and breaded refried bacon wasn't enough, Texans are deep-frying butter.

That ought to sober 'em up a bit.

Then again...

Kimbo Slice just lost to a redneck with a HUGE gut! Survival of the Fattest!!!!

Zendetta
1st October 09, 01:42 AM
Also, I regret nothing.

Heheheh. Lets see if you talk so proud after tomorrows "morning constitutional".

Kid Miracleman
1st October 09, 01:47 AM
Heheheh. Lets see if you talk so proud after tomorrows "morning constitutional".This all happened last Saturday. I felt pretty crappy by the end of the day (no surprise), but Sunday?

Felt fantastic, and no ass-explosions (assplosions?).

A.D.D
1st October 09, 08:08 AM
Kimbo Slice just lost to a redneck with a HUGE gut! Survival of the Fattest!!!!

This is hilarious that I ran into this here when I was avoiding Bullshido not to see it.

Can't say I'm surprised at all.

Kid Miracleman
1st October 09, 01:57 PM
So anyway!

To reiterate, I went to the State Fair of Texas (http://www.bigtex.com) this past Saturday with family. Going in, I was mainly interested in tasting all of the crazy fried foods that were on sale, as I had never before indulged in such culinary excesses. Forget ferris wheels and games and concerts and parades... I was there to eat.

I'm not a large man by any means... at 5'11" and 175 pounds, I'm a healthy twenty-something in fairly good physical shape. However, I do have a ridiculous appetite (and fairly low standards about what I consume, apparently), so I was curious to see how much obscenely unhealthy food I could eat before collapsing into a grease-and-powdered-sugar-covered heap in the middle of Dallas.

(Note: Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera that day, but if you want to see what some of the fried foods look like, visit www.statefairpublications.com (http://www.statefairpublications.com) and download the PDF brochure.)

I started my journey at 3:00 p.m. with what was arguably the healthiest thing I ate that day: grilled gator. Served on a skewer with grilled veggies, it had a nice tang and didn't weigh me down afterward. Eating gator meat is akin to eating very firm fish... a tad rubbery, but it goes down nice.

Next up was Fernie's Deep Fried Peaches & Cream (official title). Unlike the grilled gator stand, I had to wait in line for a few minutes to make my order. This was due to the fact that the fried peaches and cream had won the "Best Tasting" honor in the 2009 Big Tex Choice Awards. Consisting of four to five battered and deep fried peach slices and served with a dollop of whipped cream and a side of light cream (for dipping), I thought it was... good. Not as savory and indulgent as I thought it would be, but still sweet and tangy and easy on the taste buds.

After polishing off this item, I picked up a map/info guide so I could plot my next course in this godforsaken artery-hardening frontier. Flipping through the guide, one page caught my eye... a checklist featuring the eight Big Tex Choice Awards finalists with the words "Are You Up to the Challenge?"

"Hell yes I am, Info Guide!" I said to myself. How could I not pass up an opportunity to test my mettle against an octet of fry fiends? To complete the challenge, I had to gorge myself on the following:

Fernie's Deep Fried Peaches & Cream
Deep Fried Butter
Country Fried Pork Chips
Fried Peanut Butter Cup Macaroon
Green Goblins
Sweet Jalapeno Corn Dog Shrimp
Texas Fried Pecan Pie
Twisted Yam on a Stick

After completing the challenge, I could purchase a special t-shirt at the souvenir store. Talk about incentive! I had already finished off the peaches & cream, so I only had seven more foodstuffs to go. No problem, right?

Right...

TO BE CONTINUED!

Spade: The Real Snake
1st October 09, 02:37 PM
The line at these fried confectionery stands is surpassed only by the line at the "Honey Buckets (http://www.honeybucket.com/)"

Ajamil
1st October 09, 03:23 PM
Twisted yam on a stick sounds delic.

Kid Miracleman
2nd October 09, 12:52 AM
Part II: In Which Our Protagonist Ingurgitates Ample Quantities of Pork

Information guide in hand, I headed over to the next closest food stand to feature a Big Tex Choice Award finalist. Among a row of vendors nestled directly in front of the Cotton Bowl lay a stand serving the object of my desire: Country Fried Pork Chips. As I waited in line, I perused the overhead menu board to see what else these lovely pig-mongers had to offer. Something else caught my eye.

Bacon. Chicken-Fried Bacon.

The temptation was too great. I had to order both. After handing over my food tickets and receiving two fistfuls of greasy non-Kosher goodness, I found the nearest table and dug in. The pork chips were exactly as I had imagined: a heaping of thin-cut pork slices roughly the size and shape of potato crisps (only more substantial, of course. This is meat we're talkin' 'bout). Salty but not too salty, greasy but not too greasy, the chips had just the right balance of crunchiness and chewiness. Good stuff.

But the chicken-fried bacon? Not so great. Like its namesake, the dish was covered with seasoned flour and deep-fried. Although the bacon itself was crispy and well done, the dish overall was greasier than the pork chips and had much more breading than I would have liked. Too much breading on fried food irks me. Eating the chicken-fried bacon was... irksome.

Still, my hopes were up. There was plenty more fried food to sample, and I had only just begun my foolish and obscenely unhealthy quest. Before leaving I checked fried peaches & cream and pork chips off my challenge checklist and wrote "chicken fried bacon" and "grilled gator" in the page margins, just to keep track. Walking further along towards the game area, I came across a stand selling that old carnival and county fair favorite: corny dogs! I couldn't justify going to the State Fair of Texas and NOT eating a corn dog, so I thought "what the hell."

What can one say about a corn dog? Not much... it's a hot dog (or wiener or frankfurter or what-have-you). A hot dog skewered on a stick. A hot dog skewered on a stick and covered with cornbread batter and deep-fried. Pretty simple. Drizzled with mustard and ketchup it was pretty darn good. I practically inhaled mine in less than a minute.

However, the corn dog stand was not the reason I came to this area of the park. Directly across from where I stood was a vendor offering the next item I needed to fulfill my quest: fried peanut butter cup macaroons. I sauntered up and brandished my tickets.

"Hey, hows it going? I'll have one fried peanut butter cup macaroon."

"Sorry, we're out right now," the man at the counter replied. "We'll have some more ready in about 20 minutes if you wanna wait."

My heart sunk. Well, this wouldn't do... this wouldn't do at all! "Oh well," I thought, "I guess I'll go find something else on the list and come back later."

My eyes drifted upward to the menu board. What was this? Snickers? Oreos? Fried Snickers and Oreos?

Madness. I had to have one... but only one.

Upon brief deliberation I decided to give the Snickers a go. Battered and deep fried, the piping-hot confectionery looked absolutely stunning. Intimidating, even. After forking over my tickets and receiving my prize, I couldn't wait to wrap my greedy lips around it. Upon my first bite I felt an explosion of warm gooey goodness fill my gaping mouth. And the nuts... oh, the nuts! The mixture of sweet and salty flavors was intoxicating.

To put it mildly, the fried Snickers bar was absolutely fabulous. If there's one thing I love, it's a mouthful of nuts and a hot sticky load of gooey, creamy goodness!

Hey, waitaminit...

To Be Continued!

Ajamil
2nd October 09, 06:14 AM
The HAM CHIPS were exactly as I had imagined: a heaping of thin-cut pork slices roughly the size and shape of potato crisps (only more substantial, of course. This is meat we're talkin' 'bout). Salty but not too salty, greasy but not too greasy, the chips had just the right balance of crunchiness and chewiness. Good stuff.

Dammit!! We could've gotten in on the ground floor, people! Hopefully next time I have a crazy idea everyone remembers this and just starts throwing money at me.