PDA

View Full Version : Roo Rump

Cullion
5th September 09, 05:32 PM
I'm going to order some Kangaroo rump from a british online store Bornsceptic found for me soon. In this thread I will learn how to cook and serve it. Thnx.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th September 09, 05:47 PM
Hey! You got your peanut butter in my kangaroo butt!

socratic
5th September 09, 07:46 PM
Cook it like you would a rump steak. It can be as red as beef can and still be very edible.

danno
5th September 09, 07:54 PM
and pics please.

Ajamil
5th September 09, 10:57 PM
Is it like flank steak? My family had a kick-ass flank steak marinade recipe and we ate that all the time till other people found out how to cook it well and the price rose.

bob
6th September 09, 01:04 AM
Beware of the low fat content which means it dries out and gets tough easily. Most people recommend searing or browning meat all over first to lock in the juices. I would pan brown it before roasting.

Here are some cooking times
http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au/recipes/recipe_frame.htm

These guys suggest soaking it in oil first. never tried that but perhaps virgin olive oil wouldn't kill your health benefits too much.

socratic
6th September 09, 03:39 AM
I second BS's post. Whenever we make it as a chunky-ass-steak-made-of-yummy we seal it, then oven roast it.

Toby Christensen
11th September 09, 06:11 PM
(Upon my cousin saying I could be poisoned by parasites if I ate raw roo meat)

"How stupid do you think I am? Consuming RAW flesh?"

(Traditionally, the roo is eviscerated, then stuffed with herbs and spices, then the sweetbreads placed back in. Cook in a bark oven in intense heat and serve, with the sweetbreads going to sick people and guests")

FickleFingerOfFate
11th September 09, 06:54 PM
... with fava beans and a fine Chianti.

Toby Christensen
12th September 09, 01:35 AM
Yeah.

'cept I'm more a port man after dinner with cheese and biscuits.

Ajamil
12th September 09, 01:23 PM
When a roo hits you with its forelegs, is that considered a kick?

Cullion
12th September 09, 02:02 PM
They look pretty handy.

g_FVD0BR2Mc

How strong are kangaroos ? The rear legs look powerful, I suppose they'd have to be. Are they a danger to an unarmed human ?

Spade: The Real Snake
12th September 09, 02:14 PM
Tell the truth.
Either:

1) you aren't going to cook it

-or-

2) It isn't "Roo" but a latex Jenna Jameson "device"

Ajamil
12th September 09, 02:54 PM
I'd put their mass and foreleg kicking ability at around a mid to large deer. Back leg would be more like a horse, but how often do they buck and kick with their rear legs?

Oh just watched it, they do kick more, but they're a lot smaller than I thought, more like antelope sized or a big dog. That movement with the tail as a support is otherworldly. For a moment I was looking for strings on a marionette.

danno
12th September 09, 06:50 PM
they will kick the shit out of you. red kangaroos (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Red_kangaroo_-_melbourne_zoo.jpg) are the biggest, males can be 85kg and over 6 feet tall.

check out this poor pom:

8B66gFbN3sg

here's how they fight each other:

w5Ujf_VQXYo

man, my little youtube search returned some funny shit.

8oBO76U3dkE

h1b-sgsucts

http://www.break.com/index/one-crazy-kangaroo.html

btw, i had roo for dinner last night.

Cullion
12th September 09, 07:26 PM
And you let your government take your guns away whilst these creatures are around ?

Insanity.

danno
12th September 09, 07:30 PM
oh, i forgot to tell a story.

mum says that when she was a kid, her father decided that he wanted to kill a big roo with a knife. he had it trapped between himself and a dam. during the struggle, the roo tried to drown grandad by pulling him to the water and holding him under.

don't know if that's actually what happened, or if it just looked that way to her. perhaps the thing was just fighting for its life and climbing on top.

danno
12th September 09, 07:31 PM
And you let your government take your guns away whilst these creatures are around ?

Insanity.

the guns we're allowed to use deal with these savage beasts just fine.

Cullion
12th September 09, 07:50 PM
How intelligent are they ?

danno
12th September 09, 08:15 PM
hmm. i'd say they're pretty bright as far as grazing animals go, so smarter than sheep and cattle. maybe as smart as a horse (?), but not as smart as a dog.

haven't really seen people attempt to train them for any purpose, which might have been a good measuring stick.

they're social animals which usually means smarter. and i've seen a pet roo that liked to lie on the couch and watch TV.

bob
12th September 09, 09:14 PM
Skippy was one smart animal.

Emus scare me more than roos. There's something about those fuckers that just looks damn sinister.

danno
12th September 09, 09:21 PM
LOL

pQM_MyoIZ0c

the cassowary has killed people, too.

bob
12th September 09, 09:26 PM
Husband: *panicked running*
Wife: LOL

Outstanding.

Ajamil
13th September 09, 12:04 AM
I read in my youth that roos and deer can't be put in the same space because the way the roos hop looks like a challenge and threat to deer, and they'll counter-attack.

danno
21st September 09, 05:23 AM
got attacked by a vicious roo (http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6733/img0134ho.jpg) today.

Cullion
21st September 09, 04:27 PM
Did your ghost type that post? Because if that wasn't a stuffed roo you must be dead.

HappyOldGuy
21st September 09, 05:51 PM
As much fun as the reruns of "when animals attack" are. We're waiting to hear recipe results.

bob
23rd November 09, 04:09 PM
oh, i forgot to tell a story.

mum says that when she was a kid, her father decided that he wanted to kill a big roo with a knife. he had it trapped between himself and a dam. during the struggle, the roo tried to drown grandad by pulling him to the water and holding him under.

don't know if that's actually what happened, or if it just looked that way to her. perhaps the thing was just fighting for its life and climbing on top.

Get em afore they get you!

http://www.smh.com.au/national/rogue-roo-a-fearful-combatant-in-dam-attack-20091124-j91v.html

socratic
23rd November 09, 10:36 PM
How strong are kangaroos ? The rear legs look powerful, I suppose they'd have to be. Are they a danger to an unarmed human ?Yes.

Back leg would be more like a horse, but how often do they buck and kick with their rear legs? Often. Very often. They lean on their tails and kick with their hind legs. It's their cross in the jab-cross combo. That's their most dangerous attack. They have pointy claws.

Oh just watched it, they do kick more, but they're a lot smaller than I thought, more like antelope sized or a big dog. That movement with the tail as a support is otherworldly. For a moment I was looking for strings on a marionette.Depends on the type of kangaroo breed. Some kangaroos are as tall/taller than people as Danno noted.

Skippy was one smart animal.

Emus scare me more than roos. There's something about those fuckers that just looks damn sinister. Emus are creepy fucking things. There's something about a bird being as tall as I am and significantly faster that creeps me out.

Kein Haar
23rd November 09, 11:21 PM
Aren't you coloreds in tune with nature and things like emus and witchetty grubs?

socratic
24th November 09, 01:21 AM
I'm 31/32nds not in tune with nature. So one in 32 emus would just as quickly attack me as look at me.

That's a lot of emus, son.