PDA

View Full Version : SPCA tries to be more like PETA

Ajamil
27th August 09, 12:46 PM
And by that, I mean the actions of their high ranking members aren't doing their image any favors. (http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/116/2009/august/26/va-spca-execs-dog-dies-after-4-hours-in-hot-car.html)

Va. SPCA exec's dog dies after 4 hours in hot car

TEXT SIZE http://media.phillyburbs.com/template/images/plus.gif http://media.phillyburbs.com/template/images/minus.gif
The Associated Press

An executive for an anti-animal cruelty group says her 16-year-old blind and deaf dog died after she accidentally left him in her hot car for four hours.
Robin Starr, the CEO of the Richmond Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, says she didn't realize "Louie" was in the car until noon. Starr's husband, Ed, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch he put the dog in her car as she got ready for work Aug. 19. She often took the dog to work with her.
Robin Starr took the dog to two clinics, but he died of kidney failure.

Saw this in the local paper, here's a concise blurb on it. I'm not going to disregard the SPCA or what they've done because of this, but I can imagine people doing something like that. I hope there's a public apology or something from this person other than "I didn't know he was in there."

Keeping animals safe from harm is your life, AND this was a special needs animal. Major mess-up here. It says the husband put the dog in the car, and if they drive an Expedition or some other whale of a vehicle, I suppose I could see not knowing/hearing Louie. However (and this might just be me since I can be forgetful), I always do a quick scan of a vehicle before getting out or starting to drive.

What's really interesting is that Louie didn't die while in the car, but later from kidney failure. How do you determine that this was a direct result of the time in the car?

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/dogiscool.jpg

Aww, that one's not from the SPCA, but they do have a whole webpage on it (http://www.spca.com/petcare/item/139). People in VA should litter her car with the flyer they have for printing.

Spade: The Real Snake
27th August 09, 01:03 PM
Fucks sake man.
At least SKIN the fucking beast before roasting it.

partyboy
27th August 09, 01:09 PM
Fucks sake man.
At least SKIN the fucking beast before roasting it.

no, no... just take the hair off it. leaving the skin on seals in the juices.

Ajamil
27th August 09, 01:17 PM
Come on people! This is like the Treasury Secretary not doing his taxes right, and you wouldn't stand for that.

27th August 09, 01:19 PM
Come on people! This is like the Treasury Secretary not doing his taxes right, and you wouldn't stand for that.

What sort of moron would allow the Trea.......nevermind.

downinit
27th August 09, 03:02 PM
Meh, it seems pretty clear that it was a freak accident. It's not like they were running a dog fighting ring.

WarPhalange
27th August 09, 09:26 PM
I'm not going to disregard the SPCA or what they've done because of this, but I can imagine people doing something like that.

People do this to their kids, too. Also with fatal results. Parent just forgets the kid in the car, goes to work, comes back to beef jerky.

Ka-Bar
27th August 09, 09:36 PM

It's like a draft dodger starting two wars. Oh, wait...

AAAhmed46
27th August 09, 10:06 PM
Anyone here ever actually ate domesticated animals?

Harpy
27th August 09, 10:24 PM
Arjuna - read this yesterday and was really peeved off for that poor pup's sake. I say its time to put the guy naked and trussed up in a Volvo with hot leather seats and no air and drop him in the Gobi desert.

Ka-Bar
27th August 09, 10:25 PM

Horse meat in Quebec.

AAAhmed46
27th August 09, 10:30 PM
Was it good? Or too grainy?

Ka-Bar
27th August 09, 10:38 PM
Was it good? Or too grainy?

I thought it was delicious. Rich, like game meat, without being gamey.

AAAhmed46
27th August 09, 10:39 PM
Ah yes.

Anyone try camel meat? I never did, but everyone i talked to who has told me it's really really rich. THeir milk tastes really foul, though it's good for you.

socratic
28th August 09, 05:37 AM

Cow, sheep. I ate at some scungy places in China, so maybe some cat (although I don't remember eating lamb, which is generally what cat is used in place of).

I've eaten a few different kinds of game meat, which requires semi-domestication depending on the animal. Kangaroos used for meat are farmed, not hunted, whereas say wild boar meat is exactly that.

honesty
28th August 09, 05:42 AM
Horse meat is rather nice. Colt steak with lemon squeezed over it, with some chips. Lovely.

socratic
28th August 09, 05:53 AM
Horse meat is rather nice. Colt steak with lemon squeezed over it, with some chips. Lovely.

I heard horse sashimi (uma sashimi) is really nice.

socratic
28th August 09, 05:54 AM
Game meat in Japan includes bears. They eat motherfucking BEARS. No wonder they're so far ahead of us...

billy sol hurok
28th August 09, 08:55 AM
It's like a draft dodger starting two wars. Oh, wait...
Um, no. (http://www.bernardgoldberg.com/content/2009/08/25/a-lost-fact-in-the-rathergate-mess-part-1/)

["60 Minutes" producer Mary] Mapes had information prior to the airing of the September 8 [2004] Segment that President Bush, while in the TexANG [Texas Air National Guard] did volunteer for service in Vietnam but was turned down in favor of more experienced pilots. For example, a flight instructor who served in the TexANG with Lieutenant Bush advised Mapes in 1999 that Lieutenant Bush “did want to go to Vietnam but others went first.” Similarly, several others advised Mapes in 1999, and again in 2004 before September 8, that Lieutenant Bush had volunteered to go to Vietnam but did not have enough flight hours to qualify.

Ajamil
28th August 09, 09:02 AM
Is there enough room in Japan for bears? Don't they have those cute little red panda bear thingies?

28th August 09, 11:23 AM
Seconds on the Poodle chops plox

Ajamil
28th August 09, 11:50 PM
You would eat poodle? The big ones? They seem awfully scrawny. Chow puppies are good, I hear puppy meat is quite sweet.

socratic
29th August 09, 03:06 AM
Is there enough room in Japan for bears? Don't they have those cute little red panda bear thingies?

That's China, duderino. Japan has mustelids like raccoon-dogs [tanuki] if that's what you're referencing.

Kiko
29th August 09, 06:14 AM
What happened to that dog is horrible, but seems to have been unintentional. There's no comparison of the SPCA to PETA for this incident at all. Shelters do good things without terrorizing animals or people.

Now go volunteer, donate or adopt a critter!

Why are you still reading this.. go do it NOW!

Ka-Bar
29th August 09, 09:25 AM
Um, no. (http://www.bernardgoldberg.com/content/2009/08/25/a-lost-fact-in-the-rathergate-mess-part-1/)

Did you actually read your link?

Ajamil
29th August 09, 09:40 AM
That's China, duderino. Japan has mustelids like raccoon-dogs [tanuki] if that's what you're referencing.

I just want to know where they're getting bears to eat, and why Stephen Colbert hasn't applauded them for it yet.

billy sol hurok
29th August 09, 10:37 AM
Did you actually read your link?
Well, yes.

Cliffs: Shortly before the 2004 election, Dan Rather (and producer Mary Mapes) tried to swing public opinion by casting Bush as a slacker and/or a draft-dodger, relying almost entirely on documents of dubious origin, which were patent forgeries. People noticed, a shitstorm ensued. CBS hired an independent panel to look into the matter: the panel concluded that Mapes/Rather had not verified the "smoking memos" that they'd relied upon.

In the process, the panel also found that before airing the hit piece, Mapes knew of numerous witnesses who maintained that Bush had in fact volunteered for service in Vietnam, but Mapes decided not to mention it.

Epilogue: Its reputation as the Tiffany Network forever tarnished, CBS threw both the meatheads under the bus, firing Mapes and kicking Rather downstairs. Rather quit, and is now suing for breach of contract.

For the record: George W. Bush has always maintained that he joined the National Guard not to avoid service in Vietnam but because he wanted to be a fighter pilot. He has openly acknowledged that he did not want to be drafted and serve in the infantry, and says he signed up for the Guard knowing full well he would have to spend almost two years in flight training and another four years in part-time service.

It is also true, however, that in his 1968 application to join the Texas Air National Guard Bush was asked if he wanted to go overseas and he checked the box that said “do not volunteer.” But as the Washington Post reported on July 28, 1999: “Bush said in an interview that he did not recall checking the box. Two weeks later, his office provided a statement from a former, state-level Air Guard personnel officer, asserting that since Bush ‘was applying for a specific position with the 147th Fighter Group, it would have been inappropriate for him to have volunteered for an overseas assignment and he probably was so advised by the military personnel clerk assisting him in completing the form.’” He later told the Post: “Had my unit been called up, I’d have gone . . . to Vietnam. I was prepared to go.”

However the complexities and seeming contradictions are interpreted, if Bush at any point had volunteered to fly combat missions in Vietnam – as the CBS investigation unequivocally states — how then could he have been a slacker? The clear answer is that he could not – unless, of course, he volunteered to go to Vietnam knowing full well he wouldn’t be taken. But if that was the case Mapes would have had an obligation to report both that he volunteered and then produce a credible witness to say it was a sham. She did neither.

Mapes, a well-known liberal at CBS News, has always contended that she had no agenda, that she was not out to get President Bush. But if she knew that George Bush had volunteered for service in Vietnam – as the CBS outside panel clearly concludes — she obviously had an obligation to share that with her viewers.
So, what's your point?

resolve
2nd September 09, 10:19 PM

Yes.

I asked the chinese guys I work with to make me some traditional cuisine. I ate it, tasted great. Then I asked what it was and they said "dog meat". Now I know that dog meat is a huge delicacy in China and isn't given out to just anyone. So I was like "no seriously what is it?" Then they pulled out the dog bones they were butchering the meat from.

I thanked them for their kindness (it actually was a huge gesture to give a gwei-lo dog meat) and then politely threw up later out of view.

It was freaking delicious though. Sometimes when I'm playing with my puppy dog I'll tease him by going "I'm gonna eat you!" like moms do with their kids sometimes when they say "I'm gonna eat all your cuteness!" (yes I've seen plenty of moms playing with their kids at church) and he gets scared... wonder why... I think he knows...

Ajamil
2nd September 09, 11:12 PM
Did you throw up from the idea of eating a domesticated animal?

resolve
2nd September 09, 11:42 PM
Did you throw up from the idea of eating a domesticated animal?

No I just kept imagining my precious puppy dog the whole time :(

I mean seriously... could you seriously EAT THIS!??

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/137/59/149701234/n149701234_30603826_4860.jpg

I know it was probably still some mangy mutt they bought off someone with the express purpose of butchering and eating it but still...

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/137/59/149701234/n149701234_30603827_5107.jpg

socratic
3rd September 09, 03:41 AM
I just want to know where they're getting bears to eat, and why Stephen Colbert hasn't applauded them for it yet.Something like 70% of Japan's landmass is mountains. Plenty of wilderness outside of the cities.

Yes.

I asked the chinese guys I work with to make me some traditional cuisine. I ate it, tasted great. Then I asked what it was and they said "dog meat". Now I know that dog meat is a huge delicacy in China and isn't given out to just anyone. So I was like "no seriously what is it?" Then they pulled out the dog bones they were butchering the meat from. I heard Dog tastes like ass, literally.

Yo broski, why did Gee Dub sign up with the National Guard rather than the regular Air Force and actually serve in Vietnam? It seems awfully convenient he chose the 'stay at home' crowd. I'm surprised someone with that much Legacy would have gone and done the whole 'fight where they could get hurt' thing.

Also why did he get a choice if he was being drafted? Or wasn't he drafted?

billy sol hurok
3rd September 09, 07:54 AM
Yo broski, why did Gee Dub sign up with the National Guard rather than the regular Air Force and actually serve in Vietnam? It seems awfully convenient he chose the 'stay at home' crowd. I'm surprised someone with that much Legacy would have gone and done the whole 'fight where they could get hurt' thing.
Hell, I dunno. A more sure career path to fighter jock status (LIEK DADDY!!1!) due to big-frog-small-pond syndrome? Seems like he hadn't scored very well on the aptitude tests -- and the TXANG was the best slot his dad's influence could get him (vis-a-vis jet fighter piloting).

Also why did he get a choice if he was being drafted? Or wasn't he drafted?
No, the idea would be to enlist (with a shot at picking your situation) as a way of pre-empting the draft (you go where they tell you, shmuck).

Does that make him a war hero? No. Nor does it make him a draft-dodger, (http://www.1stcavmedic.com/bill-clinton-draft.htm) IMO. (CAUTION: That link leads to some serious Slick Willie vitriol -- but it does have an interesting timeline if you can get past the intro.) One could speculate that Bush's volunteering for Vietnam was not sincere, but at the very least it would have been a calculated risk: they certainly were using F-102s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-102_Delta_Dagger) there at the time.

resolve
3rd September 09, 11:15 AM
I heard Dog tastes like ass, literally.

It tasted like spicy beef. Of course it could've been the way they cooked it as well.