PDA

View Full Version : Avatar - not the airbender

Marrt
20th August 09, 10:38 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

Apple's exclusive preview of Cameron's new movie is up. Looks pretty good, but not worth the noise that everyone is making - will full 3D make the difference? I say ... Yes - new 3D will make this movie beyond awesome.

Robot Jesus
20th August 09, 10:48 PM
LSD will make this movie beyond awesome.

Steve
20th August 09, 10:49 PM
I'd watch it.

partyboy
20th August 09, 10:53 PM
I'd hit it.

(the blue alien, of course)

Neildo
21st August 09, 02:50 AM
youtube version

_0f8XGLqGJE

Marrt
21st August 09, 06:37 AM
youtube version

_0f8XGLqGJE

wow, Quicktime really does have better picture quality

Ajamil
21st August 09, 10:10 AM
Sigourney Weaver is in this. There better be killing things. With fire.

RickTheCritic
21st August 09, 11:59 AM
This movie looks very gay I hopes its good. Official trailer (http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/avatar-official-first-trailer)

Speaking of avatar trailers
5hSLzO0mHH4&feature=related

3h--oOthwuQ&feature=related

Ajamil
26th December 09, 01:43 AM
Sigourney Weaver is in this. There better be killing things. With fire.
There was only one flamethrower scene, but plenty of killing by fire.

No thread reviewing this yet?

Kiko
26th December 09, 09:59 AM
Going to see it today. I'll try to compose some sort of review when we get back.

TheMightyMcClaw
26th December 09, 10:10 AM
I saw it last weekend, and I wasn't terribly impressed. It sort of ended up being an action movie version of Fern Gully.
Did you know that everything is connected? Because apparently, everything is connected. To everything.

Ajamil
26th December 09, 11:56 AM
The big meanie colonel was a great acting part. I'll wait for the other thread for the rest, but I mostly agree with McClaw.

Phrost
26th December 09, 02:39 PM
South Park nailed it yet again: "Dances with Smurfs".

Vieux Normand
26th December 09, 03:44 PM
They can cross light years--but they still use bullets.

Um yeah, and WWII was fought with slingshots...

Ajamil
26th December 09, 04:08 PM
Nerd rage: how can gravity be so light as to let giant rocks float, but still induce water to form waterfalls? Was it supposed to be magnetic? In which case why wasn't there an effect on steel hulls?

I would've liked to see more exhibits of "single mistake will kill you." Why not some pretty flies that melt your skin or plants that explode?

I'm having trouble imagining an evolutionary track that would encourage different species to have a way to mind-meld. Still, I think Cameron should've devoted more time to envisioning a world where there really is some bond through all life instead of just making the basic animistic superstition template.

Also, since there's little reason to believe that the convergent evolution of the humans and Navi would extend to procreation, the proper way for the sex scene to go:

"Oh John Smith Jake Sulley, let us be mated."
"Aww yeah, time for some blue-hot tail."
"My womb lance has protruded for you, are your seminal tubes filled?"
"Wait, what?"
"Now move your heart so I can safely pierce your chest and suck out the semen."
"AARRGGHH!!"

DAYoung
26th December 09, 04:36 PM
Nicely put, Arjuna.

The womb lance was a nice touch.

Vieux Normand
26th December 09, 05:00 PM
Nerd rage: how can gravity be so light as to let giant rocks float, but still induce water to form waterfalls? Was it supposed to be magnetic?

Uh, sure. Magnetic.

In which case why wasn't there an effect on steel hulls?

Hulls were composite of "cocainium" and "totallackofbrainium". Those aren't affected by magnetism, except on alternate Thursdays.

I would've liked to see more exhibits of "single mistake will kill you." Why not some pretty flies that melt your skin or plants that explode?

They're all on Pandora's other continent...the floating-upside-down one.

I'm having trouble imagining an evolutionary track that would encourage different species to have a way to mind-meld.

They're all descended from the same species of shroom and link via slimy rhyzomes.

Still, I think Cameron should've devoted more time to envisioning a world where there really is some bond through all life instead of just making the basic animistic superstition template.

That would have required something called "original ideas". Remember who the film-maker is here.

Also, since there's little reason to believe that the convergent evolution of the humans and Navi would extend to procreation, the proper way for the sex scene to go:

"Oh John Smith Jake Sulley, let us be mated."
"Aww yeah, time for some blue-hot tail."
"My womb lance has protruded for you, are your seminal tubes filled?"
"Wait, what?"
"Now move your heart so I can safely pierce your chest and suck out the semen."
"AARRGGHH!!"

...which is exactly how it went. Cameron wanted the film to remain family-friendly, so the explicit stuff was saved for the blu-ray.

Kiko
26th December 09, 05:03 PM
Oh, to hell with you all! It was great fun, a moving, if predictable ride. The shamanistic stuff struck chords, I hated the Duke Nukem Col., & the Corporate Jerk as I was supposed to, and rooted for the blue folks and their planet even though I'm NOT a tree hugger.

I see you. :P

Artful Dentures
26th December 09, 05:34 PM
I enjoyed it but as I was telling my 12 year old, everything good in it was done better in Aliens still my favorite Cameron movie.

JohnnyCache
26th December 09, 06:22 PM
Oh, to hell with you all! It was great fun, a moving, if predictable ride. The shamanistic stuff struck chords, I hated the Duke Nukem Col., & the Corporate Jerk as I was supposed to, and rooted for the blue folks and their planet even though I'm NOT a tree hugger.

This, exactly.

elipson
26th December 09, 11:57 PM
I'm with Cache and Kiko.

It was Fern Gully meets Dance with Wolves, and I totally enjoyed watching it.

It wasn't "the best movie ever made!" like I've heard some people say, but it was totally worth the price of admission.

Sigorney Weaver did a great job, but her character needed more lines, and so did the evil Colonel. There was a bad guy who was also cool. I liked it.

TheMightyMcClaw
27th December 09, 01:18 AM

Interestingly, I am a tree-hugger and the movie didn't affect me. It's not that I'm opposed to messages of environmentalism and the like, it's that I'm opposed to shallow, cliched messages of anything.
Seriously, that bullshit about "we all just barrow energy from Eywa" sounded like something out of a new-age Crystal Healing & Aikido seminar. Mr. Cameron is a very talented director, and I'm sure he could've made a much better movie if he had bothered to ask himself "is what I'm about to create totally played-out tripe?" a few times throughout the course of the film.

Ajamil
27th December 09, 01:25 AM
Darn, can't find the Far Side with "Didn't Like Dances with Wolves."

It wasn't "the best movie ever made!" like I've heard some people say, but it was totally worth the price of admission.

Sigorney Weaver did a great job, but her character needed more lines, and so did the evil Colonel. There was a bad guy who was also cool. I liked it.I agree.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6486/navicatcaptiond.jpg

meataxe
27th December 09, 01:54 AM
The story wasn't really anything that hasn't been done beter before. I don't really think it was about the story, though. It was the visuals. This movie was tailor made for mind-altering chemicals. At that level, it was truly outstanding--a future classic.

I don't think a tranditional movie review will do it justice. It is more of an experience thing (I saw it in 3D IMAX). Imagine being transformed into a super-body in an amazing world with neon trees, flying, ponytail sex and no fat people.

...oh and I assumed it was the magic mineral they were after that made the mountains float.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th December 09, 05:04 AM
the mountains floated because it was an lien planet that doesn't quite work like Earth does.

Do you expect all alien life forms to be carbon-based and humanoid too?

Steve
27th December 09, 05:24 AM
Well, those that are intelligent and can be visible to the human eye without hurting us, yes.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th December 09, 05:28 AM
i'm not knocking humanoid science fiction aliens, because if we didn't base our aliens off of something they'd just be uninspired blobs. I just think it's silly to ask why mountains can float and not why an alien planet is populated by dinosaurs and giant blue humans. It's just an excuse to bitch or show off what you learned about science this week.

Steve
27th December 09, 05:37 AM
Well, that is the thing, if it was too weird it wouldn't have a chance to be main stream. The film is obviously targeted towards the masses, and that's not a bad thing, but that doesn't mean it can't be a decent movie.

btw, haven't seen it yet (going with about 5 or 6 friends after the rush has died down), but my love of bizarre and extreme movies has piqued it on my radar.

Kiko
27th December 09, 08:29 AM
Most of it was NOT very original. Plenty of plot elements recognized from various books/series that I enjoyed or possibly slogged through depending on the writing styles. The effects made it bearable. Find IMAX if you can and go early to get good seats. We were in the second row and it was still neat.

I kept wondering when they were going to realise that the magic metal didn't retain its properties either off the planet or once they'd killed the Great Tree.

partyboy
27th December 09, 09:17 AM
what did the magic metal even supposedly do? did they ever explain why it was so awesome (besides being rare)?

also, where do the american indians stand on this? all the talk about dances with wolves aside, those natives were fucking natives. right down to the bows and arrows and mohawks.

TheMightyMcClaw
27th December 09, 11:39 AM
I am still sort of blown away that they actually called the magic metal "Unobtainium."

Vieux Normand
27th December 09, 12:40 PM

I'll see your "I see you" and raise you a "Not if I see you first".

Nerd-rage is serious business.

We still have some neighbours arguing and throwing plates at each other about the size of the Enterprise (or nacelles or something) in last year's J.J. Abrams flick.

We aren't laughing at them. Honest.

Anyway, the Avatar's pint-sized corporate creep was an anti-semitic propagandist's wet dream...

EuropIan
27th December 09, 01:31 PM

Everyone has said this and it is true. Hell, even I said that.

It does, however, need 3d glasses to justify its incredibly expensive price tag.

Ajamil
27th December 09, 02:34 PM
I just think it's silly to ask why mountains can float and not why an alien planet is populated by dinosaurs and giant blue humans. It's just an excuse to bitch or show off what you learned about science this week.
Because it's nerd rage. Evolution is freaky and highly complex - plenty of ways life could form up through the years to look very similar and yet be very different.

Physics usually plays the same throughout the universe.

This doesn't make the movie bad, in fact it gives us something to talk about after the movie is gone. Like time travel in the Terminator series - their ideas are way messed up and not nearly as coherent as in Back to the Future, but that doesn't lessen the coolness of the...well, of the first two terminators.

elipson
27th December 09, 02:38 PM
I'll bet the same people saying "but why were the mountains floating!" are the same ones who never really stopped and asked "so how.exactly DOES warp drive work?"

If that's what you remember from the movie then you were paying attention to the wrong things. No one cares why the mountains flew. It's science fiction.

Ajamil
27th December 09, 02:58 PM
It's much worse than that. I don't really care why the mountains flew. I care that mountains flew and the water didn't.

And warp drive wasn't a focal point of the movie, floating mountains were.

How bout this then - single grenade attack on a prop/thruster took down a shuttle that big? Who needs to get flogged for designing that craft's redundant systems?

EuropIan
27th December 09, 03:00 PM
Because it's nerd rage. Evolution is freaky and highly complex - plenty of ways life could form up through the years to look very similar and yet be very different.

Physics usually plays the same throughout the universe.

This doesn't make the movie bad, in fact it gives us something to talk about after the movie is gone. Like time travel in the Terminator series - their ideas are way messed up and not nearly as coherent as in Back to the Future, but that doesn't lessen the coolness of the...well, of the first two terminators.
the floating mountains could be caused by the flux combined with mcguffinium errrr I mean Unobtainium

Ajamil
27th December 09, 03:17 PM
So unobtanium is some sort of magnetic monopole that only repels itself? This is all I needed. Not even a minute of dialogue and I could've walked away happy.

EuropIan
27th December 09, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah, sure, I just love "as you already know, bob" explainers.

EuropIan
27th December 09, 03:19 PM
this is where science = magic is an acceptable movie trope.

Ajamil
27th December 09, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, sure, I just love "as you already know, bob" explainers.
Good point. That would have been worse than not knowing and making it up for myself.

Edit: No it wouldn't because they already did that fifty times in the movie! This is our mind-meld. All Navi must do this. This is our tree of life. This is our chief and voo-doo woman, they mate for life. This is our mecha. This is why we're on this planet. This is why we chose a cripple. This is why we're fighting the Navi.

It went on and on, why not add one more to explain unobtanium? And anyway, they didn't say the unobtanium was in the floating mountains. They said the largest deposit was under the big ol tree.

EuropIan
27th December 09, 03:30 PM
the battle scenes were awesome and the mechs were cool.

And for some reason, I fond Michelle Rodriguez hot. that scene where she does her heroic thing and she's running through the hallway in a white tank top...hawt..

And she's not particularly hot... because of her weird brow/forehead.

Ajamil
27th December 09, 03:38 PM
I think she's hot, it's all in her lips.

Do you think the scruffy Asian Indian dude that helped out got court-martialed or something? Or was he one of the ones that stayed?

EuropIan
27th December 09, 03:41 PM
he definately stayed.

No seriously, Michelle Rodriguez has this neanderthal brow thing going on..

Ajamil
27th December 09, 03:50 PM
That's just her "mean face" scowl.
http://www.insidesocal.com/hollywoodjoe/.michelle.jpghttp://poponthepop.com/images/gallery/michelle-rodriguez.jpg

Besides, who's looking at her face?
http://bsaidso.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/micheller.jpg

EuropIan
27th December 09, 03:54 PM
she has nice jublies

elipson
27th December 09, 03:56 PM
We'd all do her and you know it.

EuropIan
27th December 09, 04:00 PM
she needs to scowl less.

She is horrible at it.

Artful Dentures
27th December 09, 04:06 PM
As I was watching this movie I kept thinking how awesome Cameron could do Larry Niven's "Integral Trees" Which floating trees and forests, giant humans and strange creatures but makes a lot more sense.

Keith
27th December 09, 05:57 PM
As I was watching this movie I kept thinking how awesome Cameron could do Larry Niven's "Integral Trees" Which floating trees and forests, giant humans and strange creatures but makes a lot more sense.

It could either be very good or very bad. My guess would be very bad.

Kiko
27th December 09, 07:17 PM
It's sci-fi/fantasy. Don't you know how to suspend your disbelief and simply immerse? Step into the Roger Dean painting, would'ja!

Ajamil
27th December 09, 07:43 PM
Immersion is over once the movie ends. And they weren't making it easy with all the cliched lines. I might have been a lot more joyed with the product if I saw it in 3-D, but then I'd be fawning over the cameramen and the techies, not Cameron or his script.

taijiamn
27th December 09, 08:04 PM
Immersion is over once the movie ends. And they weren't making it easy with all the cliched lines. I might have been a lot more joyed with the product if I saw it in 3-D, but then I'd be fawning over the cameramen and the techies, not Cameron or his script.

This was sorta the point of most of it though, hasn't Cameron had this script forever but not made it till now entirely because of the visuals?

partyboy
27th December 09, 08:42 PM
just for the record - sigourney's lines for the first 1/2 to 2/3's of the movie were horrendous

EuropIan
27th December 09, 08:45 PM
just for the record - sigourney's lines for the first 1/2 to 2/3's of the movie were horrendous
Also, her avatar looked weird/wrong

partyboy
27th December 09, 08:57 PM

bad/wrong?

....badong?

EuropIan
27th December 09, 09:10 PM
For a 60 year old, she's still got it.

(her Avatar model is the least convincing)

Ajamil
27th December 09, 09:15 PM
I think her avatar was intentionally wrong. They had a human nose on it. I can see developers thinking that a mix of the species would allow the Navi to get more comfortable looking at humans. However, I don't think it would work - like the creepy factor in robots.

EuropIan
27th December 09, 09:26 PM
You are referring, of course, to the concept of the uncanny valley, no?

I think they sidestepped it nicely by having computer animated anthropomorphic aliens rather than computer animated humans..

Ajamil
27th December 09, 10:03 PM
That's what I was referring to, yes, but I meant for the Navi. Rather than a good avatar for diplomacy, I could imagine Weaver's simply looking grotesque to the aliens.

meataxe
27th December 09, 11:18 PM

Yes, it was sort of Shrek-like.

partyboy
28th December 09, 09:01 AM
but the "kids" loved it...

speaking of which.. those kids were about 4-5 ft tall right? ...uh oh. NOB's gunna have a field day with this one.

Kiko
28th December 09, 12:54 PM
NoB will have a field day with either their tails or the feathery thing in the end of their braided hair....

EuropIan
28th December 09, 12:58 PM
The Nav'ii also tentacle rape all the animals and plants.

Vieux Normand
28th December 09, 03:54 PM
I think her avatar was intentionally wrong. They had a human nose on it. I can see developers thinking that a mix of the species would allow the Navi to get more comfortable looking at humans. However, I don't think it would work - like the creepy factor in robots.

Aw c'mon.

If advanced-tech crustaceans arrive and try the same thing on Earth, who wouldn't want some quality time with a giant shrimp which has grafted-on triple-Ds?

ROWR!

Ajamil
29th December 09, 01:19 PM
Don't prawns have like twenty pairs of legs? Imagine the handjobs.

Vieux Normand
29th December 09, 03:05 PM
Don't prawns have like twenty pairs of legs? Imagine the handjobs.

Request: forty sharp-pincer-jobs for Arjuna.

Ajamil
29th December 09, 04:08 PM
Like getting bitten on the shoulder. A little bit of pain can heighten the sensation.

AAAhmed46
29th December 09, 08:49 PM
So did i.

Kiko
3rd January 10, 04:27 PM
http://www.cdn.actiontrip.com/images/comics/at_comic360.jpg

OZZ
3rd January 10, 05:04 PM
I just got home from the theatre..I thought it would be overrated, but I have to admit I was impressed witht he effects. Most of that CGI stuff seems very flat, this was different, and not just due to the 3D.
Storyline was nothing special, but an amazing specatacle of a film.
Nice form of escapism for 3 hours.

partyboy
4th January 10, 12:21 PM
speaking of storyline =

SPOILERS! - tee hee

http://i.imgur.com/JmRmb.jpg

Ajamil
4th January 10, 01:28 PM
I'd almost respect Cameron more if he just came out and called it a futuristic retelling of the Pocahontas legend.

Phrost
4th January 10, 04:14 PM
Why does Shiva have Reagan's head in your avatar?

partyboy
4th January 10, 05:00 PM
and why is he flipping us off? (shiva, not the man-lady in phrost's pic)

OZZ
4th January 10, 09:05 PM
I have never seen Pocohontas or read any of the tellings of the legend so I never knew there was a connection.
But I figured since it was a James Cameron film he had to have borrowed a lot of it from somewhere.

Ajamil
5th January 10, 01:21 AM
Why does Shiva have Reagan's head in your avatar?I'm convincing NoB hes a Saivite by showing Reagen as a recent avatar of the Lord of Destruction. He tore down a wall, you know. And a lot of regulatory govt.

NoB should get a strap-on lingam for his wife to use, and carve Reagen's name on it.
http://crystalheartbooks.com/images/ShivaLingamLarge.jpg

Leon S Kennedy
5th January 10, 04:07 AM
I thought Avatar's story had more similarities to that one movie, Ferngully. Main character comes from some nature killing company, turns into one of the people, they learn the truth about where he's from, they hate him, he fights alongside, and then everyone's happy.

EvilSteve
5th January 10, 10:36 AM
I've heard about the Ferngully similarities as well, although given how formulaic Hollywood movies are, I bet there are a lot of films out there you could mad-lib into Avatar.

resolve
5th January 10, 02:02 PM

Main Plot: Ferngully/Pocahontas
Dragon side plot: Dragonriders of Pern
Space scenes: 2001 A Space Odyssey
Mechs: Obvious enough, Battletech/Heavy Gear/Japan (amongst others)
Sentient Planet: Solaris, Oa, Mogo, and a dash of Neopaganism with a sci-fi twist
Biological "Avatars": Nothing direct, but has leanings of similar mind-body transfers common throughout sci-fi (See: Ghost in the Shell).

EvilSteve
5th January 10, 02:03 PM
Sentient Planet: Solaris, Oa, Mogo, and a dash of Neopaganism with a sci-fi twist

Not to mention Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, which is actually where Pandora is located.

KO'd N DOA
5th January 10, 04:55 PM
You GUIZ Suck...

It is because you are killing mother earth. THat is why you are immune to the eternal message in this and other messages from mother earth.

I do not see you.

KO'd N DOA
Tree Hugger by Resolution

meataxe
5th January 10, 05:44 PM

Main Plot: Ferngully/Pocahontas
Dragon side plot: Dragonriders of Pern
Space scenes: 2001 A Space Odyssey
Mechs: Obvious enough, Battletech/Heavy Gear/Japan (amongst others)
Biological "Avatars": Nothing direct, but has leanings of similar mind-body transfers common throughout sci-fi (See: Ghost in the Shell).

Add a dose of Hayao Miyazaki...

Vieux Normand
5th January 10, 06:12 PM
An attack of originality, on Cameron's part, would have had these 150-years-in-the-future jarheads pulverizing Pandora from orbit, then picking up the unobtainium from the resulting asteroid belt.

resolve
5th January 10, 06:37 PM
Actually, while I adored the movie shamelessly... I felt it should have ended at that one part where he goes:

"But sometimes you have to wake up."

It felt like the movie should have closed there timing-wise and also have really driven the point home that sometimes you just can't correct your mistakes but you have to live with them, regardless.

partyboy
5th January 10, 08:53 PM
i already predicted that "Avatar 2" would have the corporation coming back with some ships to bomb the shit out of those blue-skinned bastards from orbit. that was one of my main letdowns for this.

ok, you have FTL spaceships obviously capable of at least carrying mass weapons, just release that shit from a distance while at FTL and arrive in time to pick up the pieces

KO'd N DOA
6th January 10, 10:54 AM
i already predicted that "Avatar 2" would have the corporation coming back with some ships to bomb the shit out of those blue-skinned bastards from orbit. that was one of my main letdowns for this.

ok, you have FTL spaceships obviously capable of at least carrying mass weapons, just release that shit from a distance while at FTL and arrive in time to pick up the pieces

The problem with that is everything is interconnected. Except Humans who killed their mother (Gaia).

If they did that, another entity of the cosmos would come to right the balance.

Interconnectedness > bullets from FTL

danno
19th January 10, 07:57 AM
finally saw this at the cinema tonight.

don't even try to see science in this. there is no science. don't talk about physics, don't talk about evolution or about the possible appearance of aliens. there are so many holes in this shit, i won't even start to explain.

you have to let go of that to get anything out of this movie.

the storyline was a very old, overused formula. the technical execution was amazing. and i do think that some aspects of the film have artistic merit.

this really isn't about aliens. it's about american indians, african tribes people, australian aborigines (the infallible, beautiful, spiritually interconnected, noble savage), and arabs (who live on top of oil and so draw the attention of the outsiders). the navi are equal parts of all the above. the humans are the west. unobtanium (worst fucking name ever) is the token natural resource (like oil).

this film takes advantage of many more obvious cliches which are ingrained in the western collective psyche.

to sum up - a very formulaic film, beautifully executed. i really enjoyed it.

but not nearly as good as district 9.

Vieux Normand
19th January 10, 08:59 AM
Don't even try to see science in this.

Was any 'science' intended?

One gets the impression that, in incorporating a term like "unobtainium," Cameron is making it obvious that Avatar is intended to be fantasy, nothing more.

KO'd N DOA
19th January 10, 10:21 AM
Like every good director of special effects movies, James wanted to explode peoples heads. And it worked.

Tue Jan 19, 1:35 AM

TAIPEI (AFP) - A 42-year-old Taiwanese man with a history of high blood pressure has died of a stroke likely triggered by over-excitement from watching the blockbuster "Avatar" in 3D, a doctor said Tuesday.

The man, identified only by his surname Kuo, started to feel unwell during the screening earlier this month in the northern city of Hsinchu and was taken to hospital.

Kuo, who suffered from hypertension, was unconscious when he arrived at the Nan Men General Hospital and a scan showed that his brain was haemorrhaging, emergency room doctor Peng Chin-chih said.

"It's likely that the over-excitement from watching the movie triggered his symptoms," he told AFP.

Kuo died 11 days later from the brain haemorrhage, and the China Times newspaper said it was the first death linked to watching James Cameron's science-fiction epic "Avatar".

Film blogging sites have reported complaints of headaches, dizziness, nausea and blurry eyesight from viewers of "Avatar" and other movies rich in 3D imagery.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/100119/entertainment/entertainment_film_health_avatar_taiwan

partyboy
19th January 10, 10:45 AM
Like every good director of special effects movies, James wanted to explode peoples heads. And it worked.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/100119/entertainment/entertainment_film_health_avatar_taiwan

Avatar leaves audience depressed. James Cameron’s 3D sci-fi epic may have been a little too real for some fans, who say they’ve experienced depression –even had suicidal thoughts– after watching the movie Avatar. Thousands of Avatar fans are complaining that they are uncomfortable with the state of reality after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of Pandora, the enticing utopia featured in the movie, CNN reported this week.

http://www.popcrunch.com/avatar-depression/

Ajamil
19th January 10, 11:53 AM
Wow. These people need to get a Second Life or something.

EvilSteve
19th January 10, 12:03 PM
I see what you did there.

Kiko
19th January 10, 12:34 PM
They need to get one of these...
http://engrishfunny.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/engrish-funny-cleaning-king.jpg

danno
19th January 10, 05:56 PM
Was any 'science' intended?

One gets the impression that, in incorporating a term like "unobtainium," Cameron is making it obvious that Avatar is intended to be fantasy, nothing more.

well that's what I mean. To enjoy this film you have to forget any science you know.

Dark Helmet
7th February 10, 11:46 PM
:Bump:

Spoiler

Could it not have been a lot easier for the company ,RDA? To just dig deep into the ground and hence avoid battleting the creatures on the surface everydamnday? Wouldn't it be less expensive then hireing mercenaries to fight the Navii?

Also, why send an entire squadrom of helicopters to destroy the Tree of Homes and a single PLANT KILLING ENZYME COULD HAVE KILLED THE FUCKING TREE THUS AVOIDING THE WHOLE MELODRAMA OF 2 FUCKING HOURS?

Still enjoyed watching it in 3D.

Spade: The Real Snake
8th February 10, 09:19 PM
to sum up - a very formulaic film, beautifully executed.
agreed.

i really enjoyed it.

Not so much......it was like a really expensive episode of Captain Planet.

but not nearly as good as district 9.
OK.
we're back to agreement, again.

danno
9th February 10, 07:39 AM
Not so much......it was like a really expensive episode of Captain Planet.

it was. i understand perfectly if you didn't like it.

Spade: The Real Snake
9th February 10, 07:52 AM
it was. i understand perfectly if you didn't like it.

If it was less ham-handed and overtly preachy, it would have been more enjoyable.

I want to know who stole James Cameron's nuts, he went from:

Aliens
to
Terminator 2
to
The Abyss
to
Titanic
to