PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Wonderland 2010

resolve
15th August 09, 12:07 AM
oHIUtchQrHs

If you're an interbutts resident you've more than likely seen the pictures of this floating around. Here's an official trailer.

It looks like it could be alot of fun.

WarPhalange
15th August 09, 01:13 AM
Ugh, the entire concept of Alice in Wonderland makes me want to hurt something. It's like having a nightmare while running a high flu-induced fever, complete with clogged sinuses and an aching body.

socratic
15th August 09, 06:52 AM
Mate of mine went to college with the chick who plays Alice. She's almost a nobody (she did 1 film before this, an Aussie indie film called 'Suburban Mayhem', I never bothered watching it so I don'tk now how good it is. Good luck finding it outside Australia). No doubt she'll be big for a long time after this. Name's 'Mia' something something.

Something about people your age doing way way way more than you ever could in the same amount of time as you just makes you feel small. Anyone else have this shit happen to you? "Oh yeah, what'd you get up to? I went for a beach holiday." "I made a multi-million dollar block-buster film." "Oh."

partyboy
15th August 09, 08:46 AM
should have been a sequel ala mcgee's alice... fuck this remake stuff all the time

Ajamil
15th August 09, 11:02 AM
Or like when they did Return to Oz. That was a freaky movie and I think based on the seventh book or something.

resolve
15th August 09, 12:28 PM
Oooooh Return to Oz WAS freaky!

Shawarma
15th August 09, 01:50 PM
should have been a sequel ala mcgee's alice... fuck this remake stuff all the time
Seconded. American McGee's Alice was highly underrated and disturbing.

Ajamil
15th August 09, 02:15 PM
BTW, that version had as stars: Carol Channing, Sammy Davis Jr., Karl Maiden, Jack Warden, Telly Savalas, Ringo Starr, Jonathan Winters, Ernest Borgnine, Shelley Winters, Robert Morley, Pat Morita, Lloyd Bridges, Beau Bridges, Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Red Buttons, John Stamos, Scott Baio, Patrick Duffy, Sherman Hemsley, Steve Lawrence, Eydie Gorme, Anthony Newley, Steve Allen, Jayne Meadows, Roddy McDowall, Ann Jillian, Sally Struthers and Merv Griffin.

There's a lot of South Park name-dropping gags in that list.

socratic
16th August 09, 03:36 AM
Or like when they did Return to Oz. That was a freaky movie and I think based on the seventh book or something.
The plot for this works on the same principle. Alice is supposed to be mid-to-late teens in this one and is returning rather than going to Wonderland for the first time.

resolve
17th August 09, 10:03 AM
Seconded. American McGee's Alice was highly underrated and disturbing.

They are making a sequel to AMcG's Alice. It's already in production.

partyboy
17th August 09, 11:40 AM
The plot for this works on the same principle. Alice is supposed to be mid-to-late teens in this one and is returning rather than going to Wonderland for the first time.

Years after the events of the first film, Alice (Mia Wasikowska), now 19-years old attends a party at a Victorian estate only to find she is about to be proposed to in front of hundreds of snooty society types. She runs off, following the White Rabbit (Michael Sheen) into a hole and ending up back in Wonderland, a place she visited in a similar manner 10 years before, yet doesn't remember. Wonderland was a peaceful kingdom until the Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter) overthrew her sister, the White Queen (Anne Hathaway). The creatures of Wonderland, such as the Cheshire Cat (Stephen Fry), Tweedledee and Tweedledum (Matt Lucas) and the March Hare (Noah Taylor), ready to revolt, wait for Alice to help them. With the help of the White Queen, the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) and the Caterpillar (Alan Rickman), Alice starts seeing flashbacks of her original visit, back when she was nine.

ah... I stand corrected.

awesome.

carry on then.

Ajamil
20th July 10, 10:20 PM
So I finally saw this, pretty good. I liked the overall cartoony feel, and it didn't step on the toes of previous works.

Not sure why the director had such a fetish for hurting eyes, though. I think there were four or five scenes that involved someone's eye getting plucked out/stabbed.

The March Hare was my favorite character in this, though the Chesire Cat made a good show.

It feels flatter, but I'm glad that no one else has tried to add any satire or subtext commentary onto Alice like Carrol did.

partyboy
20th July 10, 11:09 PM
So I finally saw this, pretty good. I liked the overall cartoony feel, and it didn't step on the toes of previous works.

Not sure why the director had such a fetish for hurting eyes, though. I think there were four or five scenes that involved someone's eye getting plucked out/stabbed.

The March Hare was my favorite character in this, though the Chesire Cat made a good show.

It feels flatter, but I'm glad that no one else has tried to add any satire or subtext commentary onto Alice like Carrol did.

I think I didn't truly enjoy this movie because Alice looked way more stoned than I felt.

Harpy
20th July 10, 11:10 PM
Watched it 2 weeks ago (I think). Enjoyed parts of it (Johnny Depp's 'Hatter', Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen, the caterpillar). Some other lovely side characters (White Queen, Bayard, wish the Tweedles got more screen time).

Alice herself didn't 'feel' like Alice, she definitely didn't have that 'muchness' for me.

Arj - I can see why you'd like the March Hare

Ajamil
21st July 10, 04:30 AM
She kept insisting it was a dream. The real Alice was crazy enough to not care about the difference.

Conde Koma
21st July 10, 05:39 AM
Saw it last month, didn't make that much of an impression on me. Felt like a kid's movie, with so much action and very little actual story.

"We've got to get you ready to fight the Jabberwockee!"
"The what?"
"Help this person!"
"The what?"
"Go grab this sword!"
"The what?"
"Okay, go get 'em!"

Feryk
21st July 10, 04:46 PM
Hated this movie. Hate the premise, the underlying story. The effects were good, Johnny Depp was great in his role, and I wanted to light myself on fire halfway through.

Harpy
21st July 10, 05:38 PM
I was on my iPhone through small chunks of the movie. As you say, the Depp was great *sigh*

Stayne = Moleculo

Big Dozer
21st July 10, 06:32 PM
I think he is a great actor and all, but I am sick of Johnny Depp. I feel like Hollywood is Depp raping us.

Harpy
21st July 10, 07:31 PM
I loved him in Public Enemies.

Big Dozer
21st July 10, 08:28 PM
I am willing to see that one. But his goofy shit I dont like. I also think Burton is a Hack.

Harpy
21st July 10, 08:44 PM
Please watch it and then report back :)

His goofy stuff is some of his best (21 Jump Street...lol, Pirates, Edward Scissorhands, Gilbert Grap etc. )

Big Dozer
21st July 10, 09:32 PM
Please watch it and then report back :)

His goofy stuff is some of his best (21 Jump Street...lol, Pirates, Edward Scissorhands, Gilbert Grape etc. )

Those three I like. But now they have Depp raped it to death.

Ajamil
21st July 10, 09:35 PM
He was in Gilbert Grape? I should see that. I agree that Hollywood is overdosing on Depp though. He was OK in this, not great, but OK.

Saw it last month, didn't make that much of an impression on me. Felt like a kid's movie, with so much action and very little actual story.

"We've got to get you ready to fight the Jabberwockee!"
"The what?"
"Help this person!"
"The what?"
"Go grab this sword!"
"The what?"
"Okay, go get 'em!"

That's a lot like the books, really. Alice was always being tugged along into things that weren't explained and made no sense, and then were over. A good third of the words in the Jabberwock poem have no meaning to them.
Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe. "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood a while in thought.
And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
One two! One two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!