PDA

View Full Version : Veggies!

Kiko
12th August 09, 05:20 PM
What are your favorites? Best recipes?

I'm eating green beans stir-fried/saute'd with leeks & garlic. Never really tried leeks before, they're nummy!

MSphinx
12th August 09, 05:22 PM
America's favourite vegetable is Terry Schiavo.

edit: "was"

Kiko
12th August 09, 05:24 PM
But we'd have talked about her in Ground Zero. This is NOM NOM NOM!

Btw this is NOT a vegetarian/vegan thread!

Steve
12th August 09, 05:32 PM
Spinach!! Especially with bacon and swiss, cooked in an omelette, scrummy!!

Ajamil
13th August 09, 12:16 AM
Easier to say what vegetable I don't like.

Cooked carrots. Seriously, that's it.

Harpy
13th August 09, 12:20 AM
Arjuna, with you on that one. However, the one vegetable I will not eat on pain of death is CELERY!!!!!!

WarPhalange
13th August 09, 12:22 AM
Man, I thought this thread would be about veggies of the hospital variety. =/

Steve
13th August 09, 12:55 AM
In NOM NOM NOM? You sick fuck.

Cullion
13th August 09, 01:47 AM
Courgettes sliced up thick and grilled, or roasted in the last 20 minutes around a chicken.

Beetroot grated up in a salad.

Buttered corn on the cob.

Roast potatoes.

Dauphinoise Potatoes.

Harpy
13th August 09, 01:53 AM
^ all unacceptable

Cullion
13th August 09, 01:59 AM
Why?

Cullion
13th August 09, 02:01 AM
French beans cooked in lemon and garlic.

Ratatouile.

Cauliflower bhuna.

socratic
13th August 09, 05:51 AM
I had the best beans once [the stalk kind] in Beijing; they were a side for Peking Duck and the sauce on them was amazing. Generally speaking vegetables cooked Chinese style pwn the shit out of any pathetic notion of cooked vegetables us decadent Westerners have come up with. Tempura's nice too. Okonomiyaki just wouldn't be the same without cabbage.

Baked/roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots [How can you not like cooked carrots, Arjuna? Seriously.] and pumpkin. Sometimes roast beetroot if I can be bothered. So simple [cut up and fry/cut up and put in oven] yet so delicious. Add gravy if you're too much of a weakling.

I'm finding it increasingly hard to enjoy stir-fry veggies; I've been eating that shit non-stop for like 10 years. That said a good red/green curry is never complete without a few potatoes and such. Never could get behind salads beyond Chicken Caesar.

I'd eat celery raw though, especially with PB.

Ajamil
13th August 09, 09:30 AM
I like carrots raw, I like `em shredded and cut up and even lightly, lightly steamed. I'll go through a bag of baby carrots like it was crack. But cooking carrots makes them limp, soggy, and gag-worthy according to my tongue.

Also a fan of asparagus, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, mashed yams, baked sweet potatoes (those greenish gray looking ones), fried eggplant, and shredded beets.

A friend's dad also used to be able to make a meal out of spiced and sauteed tomato slices. Never figured out what he used, but shit was soo cash.

Spade: The Real Snake
13th August 09, 11:54 AM
Steamed Artichokes.

Steve
13th August 09, 01:05 PM
Okra! Pretty much any way that it's cooked.

MSphinx
13th August 09, 01:25 PM
Celery and cottage cheese... mm, mm.

Harpy
13th August 09, 06:00 PM
French beans cooked in lemon and garlic.

This is one of my absolute favourites though I like to add a little fresh ginger on top to serve. What oil would you use to cook that? (I'm testing you here)

Doritosaurus Chex
13th August 09, 07:04 PM
I'm gonna take the Arjuna route and mention the one vegetable I hate: Rapini. I can't find a way to cook it and like it.

socratic
13th August 09, 07:34 PM
I like carrots raw, I like `em shredded and cut up and even lightly, lightly steamed. I'll go through a bag of baby carrots like it was crack. But cooking carrots makes them limp, soggy, and gag-worthy according to my tongue.

Baked/roasted carrots are the Krishna-conciousness of the vegetable world. You're missing out, dude.

Also, the most delicious carrots I ever tasted were honey-roasted or something. Sweet, savoury, carrot-y, goddamn.

bob
13th August 09, 08:11 PM
Fresh steamed broccoli.

Sugar snap peas.

Spinach.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.

Brown paper packages tied up with string.

Harpy
13th August 09, 08:21 PM
Put on this red wig....

Sugar snap peas rock but one can OD on them I find.

Virus
13th August 09, 08:34 PM
Broccoli, Brussels sprouts.

Harpy
13th August 09, 08:41 PM
Red cabbage

Ajamil
13th August 09, 10:59 PM
Baked/roasted carrots are the Krishna-conciousness of the vegetable world. You're missing out, dude.

Coincidentally, we would serve cooked carrots at the temple and I could wolf those down. They knew how to cook them without getting rid of the crispness that I like in a carrot.

Cullion
14th August 09, 04:43 AM
This is one of my absolute favourites though I like to add a little fresh ginger on top to serve. What oil would you use to cook that? (I'm testing you here)

I'd steam them with the garlic or saute them in extra virgin olive oil.

Cullion
14th August 09, 04:44 AM
Red cabbage

Gotta be cooked with apples, honey and a little balsamic.

honesty
14th August 09, 04:58 AM
My grandma used to do the best battered courgette flowers.

Kiko
14th August 09, 06:45 AM
Ooooh! Zucchini! Yeah, I had an aunt who made those... with parmesan. Nummy!

Soon it'll be eggplant season! Just another month or so...

Cullion
14th August 09, 06:46 AM
I must eat courgettes at least 4 times a week these days.

Kiko
14th August 09, 06:48 AM
Oh, where are my manners... AUBERGINE season.

It's a half-day ritual to prepare it right..

honesty
14th August 09, 06:51 AM
I must eat courgettes at least 4 times a week these days.

So must I at the moment, my courgette plants are growing like mad.

Japuma
14th August 09, 09:39 AM
Ramps!!!! I love these things, but I have issues when I eat them.

14th August 09, 10:13 AM
Spaghetti Squash

Cullion
14th August 09, 01:42 PM
Oh, where are my manners... AUBERGINE season.

It's a half-day ritual to prepare it right..

Keep calling vegetables what you call them in the US. Most of the time we're both English speakers trying to make up our minds whether the French or the Italians have it right and siding with the ones we live nearest.

Adouglasmhor
14th August 09, 01:48 PM
Asparagus steamed and with a little garlic butter.
Sweet and sour courgette slices.
Dougie's veggie burger, large field or paris mushroom, slice of onion, slice of aubergine, grill on a grill pan or barbeque them with a little olive oil, stick it on a nice roll (foccacia or sourdough is good), have some chopped fresh chives or parsley on top.
Bubble and squeak (yesterdays mashed spud and cooked cabbage mixed together and fried in a pan till it goes brown).

Adouglasmhor
14th August 09, 02:01 PM
Keep calling vegetables what you call them in the US. Most of the time we're both English speakers trying to make up our minds whether the French or the Italians have it right and siding with the ones we live nearest.

I sort of got used to Indian names for some things because Weedgies don't eat veg and you get used to the best greengrocers being Indo-Pak ones.

Baigan = Aubergine (also means white Aubergine - I guess that's how they came to be called eggplants as well)

Bhindi = Okra/Ladyfinger

Dhania = Coriander

Methi = Fenugrek

Kerrela = bitter gourd ( A Gurkha asked me what we called these and found it hillarious I used the same word as Nepalis).

Cullion
14th August 09, 02:04 PM
I knew all of those names (except bitter gourd) from my days as a borderline curry addict living in Birmingham, but it's been so long since I used them.

I'm going out now to get something spicey and satisfying...

HappyOldGuy
14th August 09, 02:08 PM
Sauteed spinach with garlic, pine nuts, and currants
Grilled eggplant with balsamic vinegar
Chinese style dry braised string beans
Sweet potato chips with allspice and chile powder
Steamed artichokes served with pepper and butter.

14th August 09, 04:24 PM
Hey I already called steamed artis

HappyOldGuy
14th August 09, 04:27 PM
Hey I already called steamed artis

You forgot the pepper!

14th August 09, 04:29 PM
You forgot the pepper!

Castroville snob.

Ajamil
15th August 09, 02:07 AM
Bitter melon (or gourd or whatever) is nice, but only as a supplement to something else. I couldn't imagine eating them as a side unto themselves.

15th August 09, 10:04 AM
Yellow Organic Watermelon

Yeah, not a veggie but who cares.

Ajamil
15th August 09, 11:09 AM
Is that the star watermelons? With the dark purple rind and yellow inside? Those look so cool!

15th August 09, 11:56 AM
The ones I always had were normal green on the outside but a sweet, juicy (albeit urine looking) inside.

Adouglasmhor
15th August 09, 04:14 PM
Bitter melon (or gourd or whatever) is nice, but only as a supplement to something else. I couldn't imagine eating them as a side unto themselves.

Stuffed with dhal and roasted = Sikh style.

Stuffed with minced spiced lamb and roasted = Muslim style.

EuropIan
15th August 09, 04:18 PM
Artichokes marinated in olive, lemon and various spices.

grilled egg plant.

Almost anything pickled.

I do like green beans an awfull lot.

Virus
18th August 09, 05:59 AM
I might have to try Bitter Melon. Bitter is my favorite flavor.

resolve
18th August 09, 12:37 PM
I like cooked carrots (for some reason uncooked gives me an allergic reaction wtf!?) with ginger/cinnamon and poppy seeds.

Umm, I also like tomatoes (I don't care if they say it's a fruit or not dammit!) in various forms but best on a sandwich.

Bell Peppers in a stir fry.

Every vegetable in vegetable soup cooked the Italian way. Delicious delicious delicious!

Ajamil
18th August 09, 01:54 PM
I like cooked carrots (for some reason uncooked gives me an allergic reaction wtf!?) with ginger/cinnamon and poppy seeds.
I would assume some nutrient is the responsible party and is getting cooked out.

Umm, I also like tomatoes (I don't care if they say it's a fruit or not dammit!)

If you go by plant physiology, the seed-bearing part is the fruit; roots, stems, and leaves are vegetables.

If you go by nutritional definition, I think it requires fructose to be present for it to be a fruit.

If you go by slang, a man who likes to have sex with other men is a fruit.

Cullion
18th August 09, 04:29 PM
Any kind of edible mushroom lightly fried in olive oil or butter.

resolve
18th August 09, 08:06 PM
Fungus is not vegetables! Although I do love edible mushrooms myself. Great in spaghetti type dishes!

I also like to say that I love asparagus with a vinagrette, but it's often too expensive to get.

Harpy
18th August 09, 10:54 PM
I might have to try Bitter Melon. Bitter is my favorite flavor.
Avoid like the plague. I can't stand that stuff.

By the way, looks like a Tibetan prayer flag in your avatar. Don't tell me you've found God?!

Ajamil
18th August 09, 11:15 PM
If he did, they threw down and Virus obviously won. Do I have to start offering oblations to Virus in the fires, now?

Harpy
18th August 09, 11:39 PM
Yes and don't forget to make tahini stew to hand out to worshippers after prayer.

Ajamil
19th August 09, 01:16 AM
Swaha.