PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a First Motorcycle

MSphinx
4th August 09, 05:17 AM
So I feel like getting myself a bike.

I'm going to use it for urban commuting, but I'd also like to go on bike trips around the country so I need something reliable that won't break down in Glencoe or something.

I like the look of classic British bikes. I've been looking into getting a Bonneville and I can definitely afford it. My main problem is the fact that this would be my first bike. Being inexperienced, 865cc may be a bit much for me. I may end up replacing the thing sooner than I'd like...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/bonneville_overview_main_2008.jpg

Another bike I've been looking at is the Royal Enfield Bullet 350. A lot cheaper and only a 350cc, but requires plenty of maintenance. I'm worried it may not be able to handle the Highlands.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008-RoyalEnfield-Bullet350b.jpg

So should I go for the more expensive, bigger, but more reliable option? Or should I go for the smaller one to start with, and learn how to take care of a bike with it?

Or do any bikers here have a specific model I could look into?

Thanks.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th August 09, 05:19 AM
TRIUMPH

Marlon Brando, James Dean, Steve McQueen, and Bob Dylan all drove one.

honesty
4th August 09, 05:22 AM
First bike my brother had was a Suzuki SV650s. Seemed a very good first bike, and the s version has a full fairing so good for long distance travel.

Neildo
4th August 09, 06:03 AM
i'm of the opinion that you should get a smaller less powerful bike first and get used to riding and fixing it, then upgrade later. even a 400cc can go fast enough to leave you rendered to a fine smear if you crash it.

honesty
4th August 09, 06:09 AM
The 2 bikes that usually get recommended over here as post test bikes are the Honda CB500 and the kwak E-R5. The SV650S though is a good choice, its not too powerful, its got a sports tourer setup rather than a straight sports (my brother drove to Italy and back on his), its cheap for what it is - 5000 new and currently you can get them on 0% APR, its also pretty cheap to insure.

MSphinx
4th August 09, 02:06 PM
First bike my brother had was a Suzuki SV650s. Seemed a very good first bike, and the s version has a full fairing so good for long distance travel.

The 2 bikes that usually get recommended over here as post test bikes are the Honda CB500 and the kwak E-R5. The SV650S though is a good choice, its not too powerful, its got a sports tourer setup rather than a straight sports (my brother drove to Italy and back on his), its cheap for what it is - 5000 new and currently you can get them on 0% APR, its also pretty cheap to insure.

Just googling your suggestions right now. I'm liking the Suzuki; I'll definitely be checking that one out. Thanks for your help.

i'm of the opinion that you should get a smaller less powerful bike first and get used to riding and fixing it, then upgrade later. even a 400cc can go fast enough to leave you rendered to a fine smear if you crash it.

Yeah, I know you're right. I'm trying to stop myself from shopping for anything over 500cc; you can train and take the test using a 500cc via Direct Access here. I wouldn't know anything about larger bikes.

But do want Bonneville. I'll probably get one as my next bike after I've gotten used to riding regularly.

TRIUMPH

Marlon Brando, James Dean, Steve McQueen, and Bob Dylan all drove one.

I would burn down an orphanage for a Triumph.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th August 09, 06:28 PM
Their classic models are hot. I'm going to be all over them when I have the money to burn on a bike.
p.s. you wear birkenstocks

OZZ
4th August 09, 06:33 PM
Whatever name you choose..I recommend getting at least 400cc for your first bike - maybe even 500.
Then go up to a 750 when you feel comfortable.
Triumphs rock..harder to get around here, but easier to acquire in your neck of the woods. Go 4 it!

honesty
5th August 09, 02:50 AM
I've always liked Nortons more than Triumphs, may have something to do with the fact my dad used to ride a Norton Commando 750, and the bike is in bits in the garage because my brother and I tried to restore it at one point.... Then new Norton commando looks rather nice:
http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/images/img-commando961.jpg

and its good to see another British bike brand being relaunched. Other than Nortons, I'd say Vincents, Velocettes and Ariels. Damn nice bike manufacturers.

Big Dozer
7th August 09, 06:53 PM
I do dirt bikes mainly, but a friend taught me how to ride a street bike. Most people wanna start out small like with a 250cc or a 350cc. DO NOT DO THAT! Eveyone I know who has has regreted it. You will get sick of that bike in a few months. You will want a 650cc or a 750cc. I started on a late '80s Vulcan. I fell A LOT and was glad I didnt go any bigger(That bike is a bitch to lift off your leg) I also wouldnt get anything nice. I am glad my buddy had planned on painting the Vulcan anyway. From me falling all the damn time I gave that bike a lot of road rash. So hit up craigslist and do your homework. Its good to bring a person who knows their bike to go look at them with you. I am trying to find a good used V-Star at the moment.

Phrost
7th August 09, 07:43 PM
Buy a V-Max, crank the throttle, leave it to me in your will.

Dark Helmet
7th August 09, 08:07 PM
So I feel like getting myself a bike.
It was nice knowing you.

Madgrenade
3rd September 09, 06:21 AM
But do want Bonneville. I'll probably get one as my next bike after I've gotten used to riding regularly.

I would burn down an orphanage for a Triumph.

Then you need to buy it, dont you? Don't go buy some piece of Jap crap just because you're worried you're gonna put it in a ravine. You can do that on any bike, so why not do it in style. Dont worry too much about engine size cos you also control the power through the throttle. Plus the torquey Bonnevillle will do better in the highlands than the Suzuki, which will be geared more toward top end power, something you wont be using on the twisties.

Live the dream mo fo.