PDA

View Full Version : Practical shopping drills

JohnnyCache
2nd August 09, 02:54 PM
OK, I want to start doing some threads that assume you are in a circumstance and want to dress well for it. And we're not talking about, say, BEAR ATTACK, just nice normal scenarios.

For this first one, you are a fresh-faced new hire who is expected to wear a suit and tie 4 days a week. Friday is a business casual day where you can get away with something slightly less suity, but you are expected to be equally meh (no denim).

You don't make the big bucks™ yet. Let's say you have about 3000 bucks over two months to build a nice ten-day rotation. (which is not to say you spend 1500 bucks a month on clothing routinely, it is more like an expected initial kickstart)

It's a place where the nail that sticks out gets hammered down, not a place where the squeaky wheel gets greased.

You are in a major city so it can be assumed you can shop around a bit.

What do you wear? You personally, if suddenly in this situation. Post choices for your gender, age, etc. Don't feel like you have to post your sizes if you don't want to, but don't post stuff you would or could never wear, either. Actually shop online for examples and post them.

Also, please no social commentary about you, for some reason, are so awesome you'd never ever wear this kind of thing - either fill out the excercise or don't.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2nd August 09, 03:14 PM
i ran out of cash from shirts and suits alone
fucking retail prices man

Cullion
2nd August 09, 03:37 PM
OK, I want to start doing some threads that assume you are in a circumstance and want to dress well for it. And we're not talking about, say, BEAR ATTACK, just nice normal scenarios.

For this first one, you are a fresh-faced new hire who is expected to wear a suit and tie 4 days a week. Friday is a business casual day where you can get away with something slightly less suity, but you are expected to be equally meh (no denim).

You don't make the big bucks™ yet. Let's say you have about 3000 bucks over two months to build a nice ten-day rotation. (which is not to say you spend 1500 bucks a month on clothing routinely, it is more like an expected initial kickstart)

It's a place where the nail that sticks out gets hammered down, not a place where the squeaky wheel gets greased.

You are in a major city so it can be assumed you can shop around a bit.

What do you wear? You personally, if suddenly in this situation. Post choices for your gender, age, etc. Don't feel like you have to post your sizes if you don't want to, but don't post stuff you would or could never wear, either. Actually shop online for examples and post them.

Also, please no social commentary about you, for some reason, are so awesome you'd never ever wear this kind of thing - either fill out the excercise or don't.

I don't know if they're common in the US but in the UK there are tailors who measure you up and then send the measurements back to Asian countries, usually Hong Kong in our case, and then you get the suit made up there and posted back.

I'd ask around for a reputable one and then do that rather than buy off the peg, for about the same price. I think it's possible to buy 3 properly fitting suits a month for the kind of money you're talking about like that.

JohnnyCache
2nd August 09, 03:43 PM
Well, I did say that we're building a wardrobe and that that's not a routine budget but probably more like an annual one.

those run about 500 bucks a suit, but they tend to be VERY good suits for the money. That's probably what I would try to do, too - especially since my alternative is probably the men's warehouse given my sizes. Offhand, I think jantzen (NOT the swimsuit people), Chan, and raja all do traveling fittings. Also, I think it's very charming the way you say "posted."

What do you think about shoes and shirts and ties and things? You aren't going to get a cake mailed clear from hong kong only to frost it with shit are you?

WarPhalange
2nd August 09, 03:44 PM
Fact: The "nicer" your job has you dress, the more full of bullshit that the job is.

JohnnyCache
2nd August 09, 03:45 PM

Fact: The "nicer" your job has you dress, the more full of bullshit that the job is.

err I mean, disregard, I suck cocks.

Cullion
2nd August 09, 03:47 PM
What do you think about shoes and shirts and ties and things? You aren't going to get a cake mailed clear from hong kong only to frost it with shit are you?

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the shoes. I might get the shirts fitted, but I'm pretty sure I can get decent ties and leather shoes from the high street at a reasonable price in the UK. Suits and shirts are the main things that look bad if they don't fit quite right.

JohnnyCache
2nd August 09, 03:51 PM
shoes also last a long time if you take care of them.

But put some time into it. I'd like to see your choices en re color, composition, etc.

Cullion
2nd August 09, 04:00 PM
Simple stuff. Probably just a pair of black and a pair of brown to go with different suits. Like these typical british high street brands:-

http://www.clarks.co.uk/multiValueEpiDrivenLandingPage.aspx?key=EndUses-Department&value=smart-men&prefix=mens

http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/product-is-20333475

I don't think people would notice much more beyond 'is he wearing real leather shoes', 'are they clean' and 'do they have weird platform heels or stupidly pointed toes' in a business environment.

WarPhalange
2nd August 09, 04:04 PM
Pfft, Johnny, you think I read your tl;dr post? Hah!

JohnnyCache
2nd August 09, 04:08 PM
Pfft, Johnny, you think I read your tl;dr post? Hah!

See the idea is to do this routinely so you know how to dress in situations. Next week when it's "nice jeans and t-shirts- go!" are you going to be like, "FUCK YOU I AM A HUGE DOUCHE AND I ONLY WEAR SUITS?"

It's a game. An excercise. Do you not play metal gear because you would never really be a secret agent?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2nd August 09, 06:25 PM
I was thinking MTM like Cullion but at about 4 - 6 a suit three suits already ate half my budget. After 7 - 8 shirts (for variety) I had enough for a pair or two of shoes and that's it. I'm going to have to rethink my strategy to fit slacks, ties, etc. in there.

Japuma
2nd August 09, 07:12 PM
MJS posted some fucking hot classic dress shoes in his other thread. (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53465) Go with something ina classic design that has great construction but doesn't squeeze your foot like it a 2 day old pimple.