PDA

View Full Version : Funny people is well...Funny!

boondock lee
1st August 09, 02:53 PM
I caught this film yesterday but I was too lazy to write up a review.

Let me just say that this is Sandler's best film in years.

If you haven't caught the trailer, the film revolves around George Simmons(Adam Sandler) who plays a successful comedian/legend who finds out that he is dying and he spends the film dealing with it with Seth Rogen, a struggling comedian who becomes his assistant.

So before I continue, I will remind you that this is a Judd Apatow film, so if you are not a fan of his films ( The 40 year old virgin, Knocked up, Superbad, etc.) then I doubt that you will dig this film.

For the rest of us who have a sense of humor, I found the film very enjoyable. There was some great jokes and the chemistry between the two main characters are freaking hilarious. The celebrity cameoes were done well (Eminem vs Ray Romano!) and the supporting cast were really good.

The main problem with the film was that it became unfocused towards the last hour. The film felt like a satire of Sandler and comedians but the story takes a totally different turn with Simmon's tries to rekindle a romance with his old flame played by Leslie Mann. Not to say it was inferior but it took on a different tone compared to the first half of the film.

Now what separates Apatow films is that its a film about dick and heart, meaning that he balances raunchy humor with emotional depth/sentimentality. Funny people deals with death, regret, loneliness and betrayal in a way that doesn't bum you out in the end.

The film does run at a 2 and half hour length and the last part sort of drags on a bit but I would give it a 7 out of 10. Or by Spill standards, A FULL PRICE.

Dark Helmet
2nd August 09, 10:03 PM
I promised myself I would never watch another Sandler movie after Zohan. If this movie turns-out to be just as bad I will slit my wrists.

Virus
5th August 09, 06:51 AM
I've never heard of this movie but I can tell it sucks because it has Adam Sandler in it.

Doritosaurus Chex
5th August 09, 07:45 AM
Adam Sandler: If his character is similar to the one he played in The Wedding Singer, then the movie has a chance. If he's trying to be Billy Madison again at this day and age, then the movie is going to suck.

Ajamil
5th August 09, 11:28 AM
What about people that don't like Seth Rogan - would you recommend the film anyway? Sandler can be funny.

resolve
6th August 09, 11:15 AM
Sandler did an awesome job in Punch Drunk Love.

Anger Management was a different type character from his 'norm' as well.

Steve
6th August 09, 03:27 PM
I still pray that they will make The Waterboy 2.

Seriously, how could they not?

Spade: The Real Snake
6th August 09, 03:43 PM

They should get right on that.
After "Big Nicky" wraps.

boondock lee
6th August 09, 07:31 PM
Adam Sandler: If his character is similar to the one he played in The Wedding Singer, then the movie has a chance. If he's trying to be Billy Madison again at this day and age, then the movie is going to suck. Didn't see The Wedding Singer, but his performance was similar to the one he gave in spanglish, he had that dramatic/comedic thing going on but with more douche in it. He is not like Billy Madison at all.

What about people that don't like Seth Rogan - would you recommend the film anyway? Sandler can be funny.
He is the second most important person in the film. So I doubt you will enjoy too much if you don't like Rogen. ( Err, Why do you like Seth Rogen?)

Ok, since most people seem to be unaware of this film, here is the trailer.
24VVnvrjI8w

Ajamil
7th August 09, 02:09 AM
Oversaturation perhaps. It's a bad habit in comedic actors that all their parts seem to meld into "the Seth Rogan guy." Adam Sandler had the same thing going with Billy MAdison, Big Daddy, Happy Gilmore, and so on. They were no longer separate parts but, "the Adam Sandler guy."

I liked Seth Rogan in Zack and Miri, and Pineapple Express was tolerable and had a few laughs, but other than that I just find his humor to be bad duo interp with the throw in of awkward tension and a leaning towards bodily function jokes.

AAAhmed46
23rd August 09, 04:03 PM

Same here.

Ajamil
23rd August 09, 09:39 PM
He'll be fading coach mentoring new kid who shows he's still got it at some point.

If new kid is good enough I'll watch.

Dark Helmet
23rd August 09, 09:45 PM
Only anti-semite holocaust deniers don't like Zohan. That movie was hilarious.
This opinion and most of your , eh hem!, comedy threads disallows you to tell me whats I find funny.

Ajamil
27th August 09, 01:01 PM
Finally saw this. I liked it. Still don't like Seth Rogan, but plenty of other funny people in it to overshadow that. The plot was actually really good too, but Seth...he's like someone who tries to be funny but isn't and so I laugh because he flubbed it, but then he keeps going for an hour and a half and I'm like, "dude, you're not funny, stop trying."

I also realized I have the same sideburns as him, so now I have to shave mine into a different shape.