PDA

View Full Version : head gasket: Worth the money?

3moose1
31st July 09, 09:32 PM
Alright, so papa moosey's car decided to over heat, and blow the head gasket.

That bad boy overheated, due to not having any coolant fluid. I suck with cars, btw.

Anyway, I was in the "boonies" and it got towed to a repair shop out there. The mechanic talked about how great shape the rest of the car was, but it just blew the head gasket.

He said it'd be very expensive to fix, and I'd be better off scrapping it. A little bit later, his friend with a mullet came and offered to buy it off me.

I said I'd think about it, and went home. Talking to one of the people I live with, he informs me I can get new parts fairly cheaply through a junkyard, and he knows someone who'd do the work rather cheaply...

So, should I sell the car I paid 1800 for, which is in otherwise PERFECT condition, that retails for over 2000, to a mullet-head for 500, or would it be worth the time and expense to try and fix the damned thing?

I know jack shit about cars, halp plox

nihilist
31st July 09, 11:15 PM
Never question the wisdom of the mullet, son.

[spits chew-juice on the ground]

Neildo
1st August 09, 03:49 AM
i seriously doubt you could change a head gasket. what kind of car is it out of curiosity?

nihilist
1st August 09, 08:46 AM
All he needs is a service manual and tools.

That could cost $300 right there.

Spade: The Real Snake
1st August 09, 10:26 AM
UR GONNA GIT RAYPD

jvjim
1st August 09, 10:37 AM
See if you can get a better deal at another junkyard. Ask around. Don't bother saving the car if it's going to cost you anymore than around 600.

3moose1
1st August 09, 04:01 PM
i seriously doubt you could change a head gasket. what kind of car is it out of curiosity?

its a '96 contour, 4 cylinder. Its in great shape, aside from the head gasket.

And I couldn't do it myself, hell no. I'd have someone else do it.

Neildo
1st August 09, 04:17 PM
not worth it.

1st August 09, 04:40 PM
But don't sell it to the mechanic's buddy for $500, either.

First, get someone to help you tow it to another mechanic for 2nd opinion and price. The first mechanic, unless you know the guy, might not be telling you the whole truth.

If the second one gives you a price close to the first (WITHOUT YOU TELLING HIM THE FIRST GUY'S PRICE), then you know he was at least shooting straight.

If you don't want the car and have the time, part it out.
If you want the car, Craigslist a mechanic, buy the part yourself from a Pick-A-Part and help the guy fix it.
If you want to wash your hands of the subject, sell it to the buddy.

You won't NEED a car while in Basic, but when you get stationed, and if the promotion is still going on, you might be able to trade the Contour in on something more reliable.

3moose1
1st August 09, 05:43 PM
I'm doing reserves, so having a car is going to be a necessity when I get back from basic. Unless I don't want to get to school/training.

Neildo, why do you say its not worth it? I was told I could get the part I needed for less then $150 dollars, and a buddy of ours can do the work, for free. He rebuilds hot rods and the like, from the ground up. I don't know anything about cars, and am not sure if anything else would be wrong.

This was the first time it has overheated, as its coolant fluid was quite low. I haven't really checked it since I bought the car, and do recall being told it was low at one point.

WarPhalange
1st August 09, 06:31 PM
All he needs is a service manual and tools.

That could cost $300 right there.

Honestly, how fucking complicated is that? This isn't magic. You can find the car manual online no doubt, and if your daddy is a real man, he'll have some tools in his garage.

Fuck, my dad bought me a cheap set of tools when I moved out, even though he knew I'd be living in a rented apartment and have nowhere to do anything to my car. It's the principle of the matter. If you don't have any tools, you're helpless if anything happens.

3moose1
1st August 09, 07:12 PM
Are you saying I should try to fix it myself?

WarPhalange
1st August 09, 07:26 PM
If it's not something that requires special tools or an ungodly amount of time to fix, then I'll always say yes. This doesn't just go for cars. You'll learn a lot and hence will be able to deal with broken shit in general, and you'll save a lot of money over time.

nihilist
2nd August 09, 12:14 AM
You can always rent a torque wrench so that you don't have to buy one.

I doubt there are any online manuals, but you can get one at the library...

Another option is date a lesbian.

WarPhalange
2nd August 09, 12:19 AM
Fuck that. A real man would just use a normal wrench in some contrived setup that had him calculate the torque being applied based on the length of the wrench and the weights attached to it.

He'd also make the wrench himself out of forks and nails.

nihilist
2nd August 09, 12:22 AM
And then he would proceed to turn the lesbian into a cock-craving whore.

3moose1
2nd August 09, 02:06 AM
Oh dear.

I'm going to help my friend fix my car, so hopefully I can learn something.

Tom Kagan
2nd August 09, 09:01 AM
Anyone who says 'it's not worth it' is subconsciously allowing for spending even more money for a replacement vehicle. Pay up front or pay as you go - there are no other choices when it comes to a car.

Cullion
2nd August 09, 09:17 AM
sell it to the mullet and then steal it back when he's fixed it.

nihilist
2nd August 09, 09:52 AM
Sell it to the mullet and pay the lesbian to kill and steal the car back to you that way you keep your hands clean.

FickleFingerOfFate
2nd August 09, 12:03 PM
Oh dear.

I'm going to help my friend fix my car, so hopefully I can learn something.

This approach is doomed to failure....

3moose1
2nd August 09, 12:15 PM
Do you know anything about cars?

FickleFingerOfFate
2nd August 09, 12:40 PM
Do you know anything about cars?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/Camaro4.jpg

3moose1
2nd August 09, 01:01 PM
Purple.

Also, alright, you clearly know more about cars then I do. What do you think I should do?

FickleFingerOfFate
2nd August 09, 01:08 PM
Fix it,

but make sure that whoever is helping you is familiar with that type of motor.

Not every motor is like a Small-block Chevy.

billy sol hurok
2nd August 09, 01:18 PM
This approach is doomed to failure....
I may not have a bitchin purple camero, but will respectfully disagree anyway.

Sounds like Moose's friend knows his way around cars, and any amount of knowledge that rubs off is a good thing. As someone else pointed out earlier: the more you know, the better the likelihood of fixing a problem in the field. (This is why I do as much work on my house as possible, within the bounds of reason/safety.*)

Even if you don't go on to do your own mechanical work, it's good to have a nodding acquaintance with the innards of a car. That will help make you a smarter consumer of car repair services.

Also, when deciding whether or not it's worth fixing a car, don't compare the cost to the blue book value of the car; compare it to the cost(s) of replacing the car. (Viz., with another cheapish car with an unknown history, compared to the cheapish car that you know something about. The devil you know, and all that.)

------------
*Speaking of which, I don't suggest doing your own brake work.

2nd August 09, 01:21 PM
What do you think I should do?
Fellate FFF and he might help you fix it.

FickleFingerOfFate
2nd August 09, 01:28 PM
I may not have a bitchin purple camero, but will respectfully disagree anyway.

Unfortunately, unless you know weather or not this particular ford 4 cylinder is one of the ones that tends to warp the head when it overheats, leading to a never-ending stream of blown head gaskets until the head is re-decked, or if the head bolts are a one time stretch or re-torquable, you can pour a lot of money down the drain with nothing to show for your trouble but more trouble. (Both of the previously mentioned conditions existed on Ford 4 cyl. motors at some point.)

------------
*Speaking of which, I don't suggest doing your own brake work.

This goes without saying.

billy sol hurok
2nd August 09, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately, unless you know weather or not this particular ford 4 cylinder is one of the ones that tends to warp the head when it overheats, leading to a never-ending stream of blown head gaskets until the head is re-decked, or if the head bolts are a one time stretch or re-torquable, you can pour a lot of money down the drain with nothing to show for your trouble but more trouble. (Both of the previously mentioned conditions existed on Ford 4 cyl. motors at some point.)

Fair point. One way to find out! (Okay, mebbe two . . .)

This goes without saying.

Izzat rite? Years ago -- just around Moose's age -- I got a de facto lesson in the finer points of brake bleeding that proved otherwise. (Didn't hit anything, but probably took a couple years off the tranny in my effort to regain control.)

FickleFingerOfFate
2nd August 09, 01:44 PM
Izzat rite? Years ago -- just around Moose's age -- I got a de facto lesson in the finer points of brake bleeding that proved otherwise. (Didn't hit anything, but probably took a couple years off the tranny in my effort to regain control.)

OK, I was mistaken.

Some people, apparently, DO need it said.

2nd August 09, 01:47 PM
LOL
I participated in a similar escapade.

JohnnyCache
2nd August 09, 02:28 PM
Fix it,

but make sure that whoever is helping you is familiar with that type of motor.

Not every motor is like a Small-block Chevy.

yeah for real. Small block chevys are the duplos of learning to put together engine parts.

Neildo
2nd August 09, 09:08 PM
i didn't know about getting a friend to fix it for nothing. do that.

the courteous thing to do is supply beer and pizza, but don't break out the beer too early.

3moose1
3rd August 09, 01:49 PM
Well obviously.

But beer and pizza is cheaper then 1500 bucks!

FickleFingerOfFate
3rd August 09, 02:27 PM
That will depend on how much your friend likes beer.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/HomerOkayBrainTalk.png

Big Dozer
5th August 09, 01:02 AM
Headgaskets are pretty easy to replace. But its a real son of a bitch to get to them. I really wish I could bring you to the shop and see it just to see the look on your face at what a head gaskety is. But they are expensive to replace due to all the labor. It cost me $1400 to replace mine. Also check into this mechanic. I am saddened that not everyone in my profession is honest. Lots of douchebaggery about. If you love your ride fix it.

3moose1
19th August 09, 05:03 PM
I don't love my ride, though. I sold it.

I'm going to buy a brand spankin' new sexmachine after I get back. I'm thinking of one of those new Camaros...:)

jvjim
19th August 09, 05:13 PM
If I were to purpose a sound investment scheme, would that convince you to buy a dependable used car instead?

FickleFingerOfFate
19th August 09, 06:34 PM
I don't love my ride, though. I sold it.

I'm going to buy a brand spankin' new sexmachine after I get back. I'm thinking of one of those new Camaros...:)

* Checks insurance rates for 20-something guys on a new Camaro *

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

3moose1
19th August 09, 09:53 PM
Yeah, FFF is right. Even for a new mustang, my insurance would be over 1k a month. I'd have to see how it'd be if it went through my dad and such, but still...

Alright guys, considering I'd have to buy a GOOD used car, somewhere in the 5000-15000 range, what should I get? Yes, I want to finance.

It has to be dependable, and last me for a long, long time.

20th August 09, 08:18 AM
Yeah, FFF is right. Even for a new mustang, my insurance would be over 1k a month. I'd have to see how it'd be if it went through my dad and such, but still...

Alright guys, considering I'd have to buy a GOOD used car, somewhere in the 5000-15000 range, what should I get? Yes, I want to finance.

It has to be dependable, and last me for a long, long time.

you lazy, lazy, vapid cunt.

Sirc has a WHOLE FUCKING THREAD DEVOTED to this very topic.

3moose1
20th August 09, 08:41 AM
Really?

Link Plz?

Ajamil
20th August 09, 10:18 AM
An offering! (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52545&highlight=post+price+range) Now we can be friends.

20th August 09, 10:22 AM
you lazy, lazy, vapid cunt.

Sirc has a WHOLE FUCKING THREAD DEVOTED to this very topic.

Really?

Link Plz?

/facepalm

FickleFingerOfFate
20th August 09, 10:39 AM
Oh, yeah.

This kid is going to go far in the military....

*cough KP cough latrineduty cough *

3moose1
20th August 09, 10:41 PM
haha

Sirc
25th August 09, 02:48 PM
If it's not something that requires special tools or an ungodly amount of time to fix, then I'll always say yes. This doesn't just go for cars. You'll learn a lot and hence will be able to deal with broken shit in general, and you'll save a lot of money over time.

This does take a long time to do correctly.

It's cheap, headgaskets, even high performance ones are barely $100. My metal oversized gaskets for my impreza were $85.

It does however take time if you don't have a bench or the right tools (i.e. manual and torque wrench, 12 point sockets, etc.). since it overheated and the headgasket melted, you'll want to get the head milled to make sure the head hasn't warped and have leaks.

Honestly it'd take me about 6 hours to do a transversely mounted headgasket replacement. But i've been doing this for years and years and years. I don't know how long it'll take you if you haven't done it before.