PDA

View Full Version : Hot Sauce. How hard can you take it?

Virus
29th July 09, 01:44 AM
I'm not talking about the stuff you get at the supermarket isle. That's your grandmother's hot sauce. I'm talking about the r34l shit that makes you beat the floor with tears streaming down your face. Stuff that comes with warning labels.

At the moment I've got a couple of bottles of Blair's Beyond Death. It's a limited edition item. That should last a while because a small dollop in a bowl of pasta will make it extremely hot. (But I've built up a tolerance.)

http://www.hotsauce.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Blairs-Beyond-Death-4-Pack-2T.jpg

The first hot sauce I got started on was Blair's Mega Death. It actually tastes a little better than Beyond Death and I find the heat hits you more suddenly whereas Beyond Death is a creeper. Once I finished a meal with Beyond Death and I had to run my mouth under running water for a few minutes. My eyes were watering and red. It was awesome.

http://hotfoods.tijuanaflats.com/store/pc/catalog/Blairs%20Mega%20Death%20300.jpg

You can get stuff that's hotter but it's pure capsicain crystals.

Steve
29th July 09, 01:58 AM
You need to list the capsaicin ratings for those if I'm even going to make a serious attempt at showing you how much I love hot sauce.

WarPhalange
29th July 09, 02:13 AM
I don't know why, but in the past two years my tolerance for hot sauce has gone down, despite me consuming it at more less the same quantity and frequency (how often I eat it).

Though I never was that hardcore. I could barely get through a jalapeno.

honesty
29th July 09, 02:14 AM
I shared a house with a guy who really loved his hot sauce when I lived in Troy, NY. We'd pretty regularly go to the Ale House to have chicken wings and he'd get the extra hots with extra hot sauce. Anyway, he bought some of this stuff:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mlm7298_2061_10152504

At 2000000 scovilles its pretty damn mental!

Steve
29th July 09, 02:17 AM
I still wish I bought the $90 2-3oz bottle of hot sauce at this hot sauce shop up north here. You have to be 18 to buy it and it comes in a locked case (that you take with you).

That would be the stuff that is nearly pure, one dip of a toothpick in a large crock pot of chili would make it too hot to eat.

Virus
29th July 09, 02:45 AM
Mega Death is 550,000 Scoville units according to this site. Which means I'm going to have to try and score some of the sauces listed above it.

http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

PS: By comparison, Tobasco is ~2000.

Steve
29th July 09, 02:54 AM
I have some Spontaneous Combustion sauce (http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp) in my fridge, it rates just under Mega Death.

DAYoung
29th July 09, 04:00 AM
What on earth do you DO with it? Put a drop on your tongue and meditate on the pain? Do practical jokes with cotton buds and condoms?

How do you cook with it?

bob
29th July 09, 04:03 AM
I got over my addiction to very hot food. It was a tough rehab but I just kept thinking about how much happier my arsehole would be.

DAYoung
29th July 09, 04:04 AM
And my stomach.

bob
29th July 09, 04:05 AM
What has your stomach got to do with me eating chilli?

DAYoung
29th July 09, 04:06 AM
Wormholes.

Duh.

Steve
29th July 09, 04:13 AM
What on earth do you DO with it? Put a drop on your tongue and meditate on the pain? Do practical jokes with cotton buds and condoms?

How do you cook with it?

You'd be surprised what you can do with REALLY hot sauce. A drop on a cracker is a bonding experience.

Cooking, not so much. I've ruined my fair share of dishes with too much heat.

bob
29th July 09, 04:15 AM
Who here has done the 'cooking with chilli, stop for a toilet break and forget you were cooking with chilli' dance routine?

DAYoung
29th July 09, 04:19 AM
You'd be surprised what you can do with REALLY hot sauce. A drop on a cracker is a bonding experience.

Cooking, not so much. I've ruined my fair share of dishes with too much heat.

I once cooked for a girlfriend's parents.

With chillies. WAY too many chillies.

The dad was very cool about it. But the mum was crying in pain.

A great way to reward a couple for giving me their daughter for the night.

(I mean it, they really were great girlfriend-parents.)

DAYoung
29th July 09, 04:26 AM
Who here has done the 'cooking with chilli, stop for a toilet break and forget you were cooking with chilli' dance routine?

Absolutely. And I didn't learn the first time.

Virus
29th July 09, 05:29 AM
How do you cook with it?

The usual practice is to add it to food while you're making it.

DAYoung
29th July 09, 06:01 AM
The usual practice is to add it to food while you're making it.

I find it hard to believe it adds more to a meal than, say, pepper or chilli.

Japuma
29th July 09, 08:41 AM
I maybe a pussy for saying this, but I prefer a hot sauce that has a good taste rather then ungodly heat. I put Frank's Red Hot Sauce on everything (with a little white pepper ground it first)

Ajamil
29th July 09, 10:21 AM
Not me, I am traitor to the SW and rarely go above Medium. That's Pace Medium, too. I can take hot food, but I really don't like it.

HappyOldGuy
29th July 09, 10:31 AM
Virus, you do know you're not supposed to use water, right?

Milk, or hard spirits.

WarPhalange
29th July 09, 10:35 AM
I maybe a pussy for saying this, but I prefer a hot sauce that has a good taste rather then ungodly heat. I put Frank's Red Hot Sauce on everything (with a little white pepper ground it first)

I actually like hot sauce that doesn't have much in the way of flavor, but just makes the food I'm already eating spicy. That way, everything I eat doesn't taste like salsa or something.

Steve
29th July 09, 10:36 AM
Virus, you do know you're not supposed to use water, right?

Milk, or hard spirits.

Oh, he knows.

Just that he prefers cream in his mouth.

Steve
29th July 09, 11:49 AM
Reverse eating is also acceptable.

jkdbuck76
29th July 09, 11:52 AM
Virus,

Let me know how "lava-like" it is when you shat this Beyond Death Sauce.

I just might have to order some.

DerAuslander108
29th July 09, 12:50 PM
There's a reason I'm known as Fire Dick.

Japuma
29th July 09, 12:55 PM
Is it Herpes?

Steve
29th July 09, 01:34 PM
That or a really lame anal sex joke.

Robot Jesus
29th July 09, 02:11 PM
i resent hot sauce on wings that don't have a decent vinegar flavour.

when I make hot wings I chop garlic ad add it to the butter while its melting. then I use Louisiana sauce as the base, by it's self it has the vinegar and chili flavours down; i lack in heat. I use Dave's insanity to bring up the heat, and then Tabasco to soften the now overpowering chili flavour.

a pub I like makes there hotwings on a BBQ sauce base, something I've never been able to pull off.

Cullion
29th July 09, 05:39 PM
I'm out of touch with seriously hot food. Vindaloo or the Thai dishes that use a lot of fresh chili and galangal are enough for me now (and I want them well made so I can taste real food), and I need a cold beer to hand with them.

But I understand what you guys are doing, it's about the endorphins.

Steve
29th July 09, 05:55 PM
Yes, it is about the endorphins.

Not that the majority of us don't get punched for the fun of it too.

Until you have tasted something REALLY hot, I'd try and stay away from making assumptions.

Cullion
29th July 09, 05:59 PM
I think the hottest meal I've ever eaten was a chicken phaal.

Zendetta
29th July 09, 06:02 PM
When the pain overcomes the taste, its too much imo.

But ditto on the endorphins. Good spicey food should get you high.

Quikfeet509
29th July 09, 06:14 PM
The problem with eating spicy wings is that you cannot enjoy a good beer while eating them...which is why I usually switch to PBR at that point.

This thread has made me want to start using specialty hot sauce again.

Luckily in the OR, everyone is wearing masks and if the patient isn't wearing a mask, they are anesthetized.

Nobody will know...they will have their suspicions, but they will not know for sure. It will be glorious.

nihilist
29th July 09, 10:10 PM
I like a lot of heat as long as it is balanced with flavor.

Ajamil
29th July 09, 11:05 PM
Spicy chili also makes you sweat, which helps cool you off. Ever notice how many cultures known for spicy food lie near the equator?

Harpy
29th July 09, 11:48 PM
I believe Americans are obsessed with hot sauce as its the only way they can mask their horrible food.

If you cook well you do not need to pile hot sauce onto a well cooked dish. Its not that hard to familiarise yourself with various fresh and dried seasoning to excite your taste buds, not kill them with hot sauce.

HappyOldGuy
30th July 09, 12:11 AM
How many restaurants have you been to in america lily?

nihilist
30th July 09, 12:18 AM
I believe Americans are obsessed with hot sauce as its the only way they can mask their horrible food.

If you cook well you do not need to pile hot sauce onto a well cooked dish. Its not that hard to familiarise yourself with various fresh and dried seasoning to excite your taste buds, not kill them with hot sauce.
Dear gabacha, a steady diet of hot peppers or salsa helps digestion, fights heart disease, prevents tumors from spreading, acts as a calorie burner.

The last item on the list should be of particular interest to you.

Harpy
30th July 09, 01:51 AM
Dear gabacha, a steady diet of hot peppers or salsa helps digestion, fights heart disease, prevents tumors from spreading, acts as a calorie burner.

The last item on the list should be of particular interest to you.

:)

Cullion
30th July 09, 04:51 PM
Spicy chili also makes you sweat, which helps cool you off. Ever notice how many cultures known for spicy food lie near the equator?

I think it's more to do with covering up the taste of spoilage when you've got no refrigeration in a hot climate. If the weather's hot enough that you need to sweat to cool down, you'll sweat without chili.

Also, chili peppers don't grow wild in climates like Northern Europe, the hottest spice you'll likely be able to get out of a simple garden or small-holding is going to be horseradish.

Zendetta
30th July 09, 05:19 PM
They also tend to be anti-parasitical, which is obviously useful in warm places.

I think the "cooling" affect is true, though.

Quikfeet509
30th July 09, 05:28 PM
They also tend to be anti-parasitical, which is obviously useful in warm places.

I think the "cooling" affect is true, though.

Yup. Traditionally, lots of food and herb / spice recommendations were based off of a desire to prevent food-borne illness, not [necessarily] off of an aesthetic notion of food combining.

Diarrheal diseases killed 2.16 million people worldwide in 2004.

Zendetta
30th July 09, 05:31 PM
That's a shitty way to go.

(ducks for cover)

Quikfeet509
30th July 09, 06:49 PM
I hope your nostrils are filled with the stench of C. Diff for at least a week.

G-Off
30th July 09, 06:52 PM
Regarding the pure capsicum crystal stuff:

Isn't that basically pepper spray? What is it with you people? I never go past medium on the salsa scale, because as you go hotter the flavor tends to disappear in favor of spicyness.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
30th July 09, 06:56 PM
Sriracha called
it wanted to let you know how delicious it is

DAYoung
1st August 09, 05:19 PM
G-Off has wasabefied the correct.

SFGOON
1st August 09, 05:52 PM
I know that SCUs are a measurement of how many gallons of water are required to dilute an ounce of hot substance until humans can no longer feel the heat.

I also know that 500,000 SCU is equivalent to about .075% capsaicin.

Your body is quite sensitive to it, but it can't really hurt you.

SFGOON
1st August 09, 06:34 PM
Regarding the pure capsicum crystal stuff:

Isn't that basically pepper spray? What is it with you people? I never go past medium on the salsa scale, because as you go hotter the flavor tends to disappear in favor of spicyness.

Nope! Capsiacin crystals, water, and ethylene glycol as an emulsifier are the three most common ingredients in pepper spray. Capsiacin resembles the vanilla molecule, except it has a long chain fatty acid which helps it cross the cellular membrane.

Cheap pepper spray capsiacin is made by soaking mashed up hot peppers in ethanol then boiling the ethanol away. The remaining poo is called "oleoresin capsicum" Latin for "pepper resin." It is then mixed with the above to produce 5% or even as high as 10% (oh noes!) OC.

The remaining poo/oleoresin capsicum is roughly .5% Capsiacin - a ligand which modifies the TPRV-1 receptor. TPRV-1 lives on your skin sense strong acids and temperatures above 50 degrees Celsius. Capsiacin modifies it so it screams about high heat at just a hair below body temperature.

Capsiacin is soluble in both oil and alcohol, and is water-insoluble. The best treatment for it (in your mouth,) is ice-cream followed by a stiff shot of your favorite liqueur.

If you are OC'd by cops or creeps, mineral oil followed RIGHT AWAY by alcohol wipes are your friend.

Toby Christensen
10th August 09, 07:31 PM
I have shamed myself.

I eat at Nando's occasionally and I only order Hot flavour with added Very Hot Sauce.

My ulcer or whatever the Hell it is in my gut thanks me, but my manliness doesn't.

Kiko
11th August 09, 05:26 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/parnsangel/2319213260_cc84752e58_o.jpg

Ajamil
11th August 09, 09:36 AM
That would be disturbing to find. I'd think aliens had landed...to rummage through our garbage.

Cullion
11th August 09, 11:51 AM
I have shamed myself.

I eat at Nando's occasionally and I only order Hot flavour with added Very Hot Sauce.

My ulcer or whatever the Hell it is in my gut thanks me, but my manliness doesn't.

I thought they were a UK only chain. Now I look on their site, it seems they're everywhere. I'm surprised it's spread so far.

Kiko
11th August 09, 01:52 PM
That would be disturbing to find. I'd think aliens had landed...to rummage through our garbage.

I thought the coconut crab was all over the intarwebs...

Ajamil
11th August 09, 01:56 PM
I actually saw that first in a children's book on animals. They still look freaky.

Kiko
11th August 09, 01:57 PM
Children's book? Who's trying to give their kids nightmares?

MOM!! It's under my bed! I just know it!!!

Ajamil
11th August 09, 02:01 PM
I think it was the jungle pop-up book. You could lift a palm frond and there it was.

Kiko
11th August 09, 02:03 PM
http://www.arkive.org/media/D0/D029B0AE-565E-4997-839E-3747F4D6BB7E/Presentation.Large/photo.jpg

LOOKOUT!!

gzk
20th August 09, 09:24 AM
These guys (http://www.thechillifactory.com/) are good; I have just about everything in the top end of their range, heatwise. I have extra jars of the habanero and naga jolokia paste at work to add as appropriate to lunches. I also have an outstanding order for seeds, powders, pastes and sauces from this guy (http://www.chilliseedbank.com.au) who has an impressive range. I get sambals of various kinds and chilli oil from the Asian grocer I pass on the way to work.

When I cook with really hot stuff (anything with decently concentrated habanero or jolokia peppers) I'll generally add about 1/2-2 tsp of it for a meal for 2 people that like hot food, assuming that there's other heat sources, like fresh or dried peppers, a slightly milder chilli sauce, curry paste, sambal, etc. More flavoursome (but still pretty hot) stuff like a hot sweet chilli sauce, sambal or chilli oil I'll tend to add a couple of tablespoons. Sometimes when I'm in the mood, I get a chicken burger from Nando's with extra hot sauce, add more extra hot sauce from the bottle, and bring habanero paste with me and add about half a teaspoon of that (maybe more - the mayonaise tends to calm it down a bit).

I'm trying to avoid going nuts with chilli and killing my taste buds to the point where I can't eat a nice lamb roast without mega-scoville jolokia sauce, but I just can't help it...

I think the hottest meal I've ever eaten was a chicken phaal.

Phaal is pretty fucking hardcore. Unfortunately no Indian restaurateurs in Australia seem to know what that is (yes, I know it's a British Indian specialty, but Internet, bitches), so the only phaal I've had was one I cooked following a fellow chilli head mate's recipe involving about 10 fresh birdseye chillis per half-kilo of meat. I might have added some jolokia paste as well.

resolve
6th September 09, 03:31 PM
Wasn't there a pepper so hot that when people were cutting into it for the very first time it started hurting the eyes and noses of everyone around for quite a few dozen feet?

Ajamil
6th September 09, 04:46 PM
There's a number that the harvesters can't collect without gloves because the capascin will get into their oils and mess them up.

resolve
7th September 09, 11:16 PM
That's just sick.

I do spicy. I don't do hot... unless I'm sick in the nasal area then I'll eat some kind of hot chili or other hot dish so that it helps clear out my nasal passages.

It's not good for other type of sick though, especially throwing up... throwing up acid AND capascin is one of the most terrible things you could do to your esophagus/nose/throat/mouth.

Ajamil
7th September 09, 11:22 PM
The relieving of capascin soaked food is bothersome no matter how you plan it.

Harpy
8th September 09, 12:24 AM
I used to have a friend in high school who ate raw chillis and honey to help her throw up. She was bulimic, then became anorexic, bulimic again and is a practicing doctor in Sydney.

Toby Christensen
8th September 09, 02:57 AM
I am going to experiment with curries as a mood lifter.

A really, really hot curry puts me in a better mood and helps inspire me (I've already read about lower rates of dementia in people who eat lotsa curry).

I have never understood the term "curry muncher" as a pejorative. I love the stuff.