PDA

View Full Version : My greatest creation! (Image HEAVY)

TheMightyMcClaw
27th July 09, 12:20 AM
Alright, I vowed that if we got this forum, I'd post badass shit made out of metal.
So here's some badass shit made out of metal.
For the past eight months or so I've been working on-and-off on a chainmail shirt. I've put about forty or fifty man hours into it, most of them between December and April.
About a week ago, I finally finished the the scale mail shoulder pieces. This morning, my roommate took some photos of me in our side yard.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs48/300W/i/2009/207/b/3/Chainmail_shirt_by_MetalArtisan.jpg

While this photo isn't particularly good, it does show the shirt from the front pretty well.
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs49/300W/i/2009/207/a/9/Chainmail_Shirt___Back_by_MetalArtisan.jpg
A better photo of the shirt from the back. This gives a pretty good detailing of the way the shoulder pieces sit. The belt and side laces were both inspired by biker jackets; I wanted to make the shirt as tight fighting as possible, both to make it look better and to keep as much weight as possible from sitting on the shoulders. They make a substantial difference in terms of comfort and aiding in weight distribution.
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs47/300W/i/2009/207/6/d/Chainmail_shirt___side_closeup_by_MetalArtisan.jpg
A close up of the side laces. They also just make the shirt look nicer.
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs49/300W/i/2009/207/7/0/Armlet___Posing_by_MetalArtisan.jpg
I made this armlet recently as well; it's held on via elastic bands (hair ties, to be precise) running through the copper section on the end.
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs49/300W/i/2009/207/a/f/Heavy_metal_cornflakes_by_MetalArtisan.jpg
After taking photos, I had a bowl of cornflakes. My roommate, still bearing the camera, captured this moment.

I still have a few more plans for the shirt; I want to add spikes to the shoulders, for one, but this requires me to have access to a vice so I can drill holes in scales. I also plan on doing a design with brass rings on either the front or the back; possibly a Mjolnir, possibly something written in Manchu.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th July 09, 12:24 AM
Just don't wear it outside.

Harpy
27th July 09, 12:28 AM
McClaw - You're pretty

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th July 09, 12:30 AM
She says that to anyone that hasn't written her completely off yet

Steve
27th July 09, 12:31 AM
You are my hero.

Now go get a cape.

Ajamil
27th July 09, 12:55 AM
That's some really nice work. I've worn chain shirts, and hearing you try to keep some weight off the shoulders is a good thing. I've also never seen scale mail before - how much harder/easier was it to work over the links?

WarPhalange
27th July 09, 12:58 AM
I love how you are eating cereal in the last pic. Just the perfect end to a badass armor demo.

MJS: STFU. He made his own clothes. The fuck do you do? You buy your clothes.

TheMightyMcClaw
27th July 09, 01:03 AM
That's some really nice work. I've worn chain shirts, and hearing you try to keep some weight off the shoulders is a good thing. I've also never seen scale mail before - how much harder/easier was it to work over the links?
Scale mail is a bit more time consuming to work than chain, though not particularly more difficult.
The main thing is that it's more expense; I had to order the scales themselves from online. I'm hopefully going to take up metalworking this fall, and I'll be looking into making my own scales from sheet metal.

Harpy
27th July 09, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Poop Loops:
MJS: STFU. He made his own clothes. The fuck do you do? You buy your clothes

^^^^ exactly.

McClaw > MJS

By the way, how heavy is the chainmail vest?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th July 09, 01:06 AM
MJS: STFU. He made his own clothes. The fuck do you do? You buy your clothes.

I'm not saying he can't wear that stylish chainmail shirt around town but if he ends up on some blog post titled "Dorks on a Subway", I told him so. Save it for metal concerts.

WarPhalange
27th July 09, 01:11 AM
I'm not saying he can't wear that stylish chainmail shirt around town but if he ends up on some blog post titled "Dorks on a Subway", I told him so. Save it for metal concerts.

Right, because wearing a scarf in the middle of summer makes you less of a dork.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th July 09, 01:13 AM
What are you talking about?

resolve
27th July 09, 01:17 AM
Scale mail is a bit more time consuming to work than chain, though not particularly more difficult.
The main thing is that it's more expense; I had to order the scales themselves from online. I'm hopefully going to take up metalworking this fall, and I'll be looking into making my own scales from sheet metal.

Metalworking is a great class. Depending on who's teaching it though you might not get to do your project for the class. You will learn the knowledge you need to be able to make the scales though. For actual armor though you want to use a high grade steel. You won't be smelting that yourself :P Well, at least not unless you have a few acres of "really quiet" land and some access to thermite. And of course the results will be dicey without years of experience...

Sorry for the digression... Been reading some homegrown chemistry applications recently :P. Your best bet is, like you mentioned, to stick with sheet metal and to do it on your own time. I know my professor made one of the students take his chainmail shirt (he made sleeves and was working on leggings as well) as an outside project instead of something that would get graded due to the time involved. He still helped him out though.

The problem with sheet is how flexible it is. Typically it's not very high quality stuff. You will be spending a good deal of time hardening it but retaining its flexibility if you want a good armor piece.

If you're just going for looks cutting and molding them is pretty simple and not time-consuming at all. If you want some function too (why not? you know some asshole is gonna test your work if you wear that around) it's best to forge them yourself from thicker plates after cutting them.

Also... cutting steel is a major pain in the ass.

TheMightyMcClaw
27th July 09, 01:25 AM
I haven't weighed it, but I'd guess the shirt weighs somewhere between ten and twenty pounds.
Upon reflecting on how phallic Mjolnir's are, I think I'm going to try and inlay some Manchu on the front and/or back.
At the moment, I'm thinking either dain, "war;"
http://www.enenggi.com/GetImage.aspx?input=dain
Or asuri, the Manchu term for the Asura/the angry gods in Buddhism;
http://www.enenggi.com/GetImage.aspx?input=asuri (http://www.enenggi.com/GetImage.aspx?input=asuri)

Maybe I'll do one on the back and one on the front. I think it'd be pretty sweet because a) Manchu is a badass and spiky looking language to begin with, and b) plenty of people throw Chinese characters on stuff, but who the fuck else reads Manchu?

I need to get some 14 gauge bronze/brass/copper/otherwise different colored metal before I can start doing that, though.

By the way, the metal shop in the town I'm moving to also has classes on blacksmithing. You know I'm going to be on top of that.

Harpy
27th July 09, 01:27 AM
Inspiring work McClaw.

You've put thought into your work, it looks pretty damn functional to me.

Aphid Jones
27th July 09, 02:00 AM
Now go get a cape.
I second the cape.

socratic
27th July 09, 02:34 AM
Wicked.

I had no idea Manchu looked so much like Khalkha script. Huh, they are all mongolian after all I guess.

DAYoung
27th July 09, 02:38 AM
McClaw, you're full of it.

The 'it' in question being AWESOME, milked straight from the breasts of shieldmaidens in Valhalla.

EuropIan
27th July 09, 02:55 AM
McClaw do you often find yourself saying "I cast magic missle!"?

(good craftmanship, btw. Looks cool)

WarPhalange
27th July 09, 10:48 AM
What are you talking about?

Shut up, that's what.

jvjim
27th July 09, 11:29 AM
Cool. Very cool.

Spade: The Real Snake
27th July 09, 11:59 AM
Which member of Vixen were you, please circle.
http://i26.tinypic.com/29q1ve1.jpg

WarPhalange
27th July 09, 12:00 PM
Dude, no. His hair isn't styled at all and he's wearing CHAINMAIL not LEATHER HOOKER CLOTHES.

KhorneliusPraxx
27th July 09, 02:28 PM
TheMightyMcClaw, were you an extra during the filming of Role Models?

"BOW TO THE KING!"

Zendetta
27th July 09, 02:34 PM
Dayum nigga, waz up wit dem PANTS?

Ajamil
27th July 09, 08:28 PM
They look like hella comfy pajama pants. Did you just wake up?

Cullion
27th July 09, 08:42 PM
Alright, I vowed that if we got this forum, I'd post badass shit made out of metal.
So here's some badass shit made out of metal..

Oh my. I will read up on dark-ages bad-ass recipes for you and write them up in NOM NOM NOM.

p.s.

is that lipstick? if so, awesome.

Keith
27th July 09, 10:00 PM
Did you flatten the rings and rivet them?

TheMightyMcClaw
28th July 09, 12:23 AM
Dayum nigga, waz up wit dem PANTS?

They're wrap pants, which are pretty much all I wear in the summer. They're substantially lighter and cooler than jeans or cargo shorts or anything else I might wear in the hotter months.
They actually make terrible pajamas pants, as they tend to get all tangled up as I thrash about in bed.

Did you flatten the rings and rivet them?
No, I don't rivet or weld my mail. That would add a substantial time increase to an already substantially time consuming undertaking. Though it would cut down on long-term repair time in my various sword fights to the death.

is that lipstick? if so, awesome.
That is the natural color of my lips.

DAYoung
28th July 09, 12:29 AM
Are you an ARMA sort, McClaw? That is, will you be flailing in your mail?

Keith
28th July 09, 01:53 AM
No, I don't rivet or weld my mail. That would add a substantial time increase to an already substantially time consuming undertaking. Though it would cut down on long-term repair time in my various sword fights to the death.
Welding wouldn't be possible in traditional methods. Rivetting doesn't just cut down on repair time, it keeps the rings from spreading and splitting open when you get stabbed in one of your many sword duels to the death.

honesty
28th July 09, 03:06 AM
Very nice. I really like the scale shoulders. Where they premade scales or did you cut them yourself?

Looks like you've made that to fit to the body rather than over anything, so I guess the idea is not to use it in arma/sca/re-enactment then? (You'd really need to wear it over a gambeson for those)

Looks like split metal that you just twist back after joining, rather than riveting or welding. Those 12mm rings there? Whenever my mates have made chain before its usually made with 12mm sprung washers, though a friend did make his own rings with copper wire, and another made a set using 8mm washers. 8mm rings looks fantastic but really adds to the weight.

Lily, a full knee length chain vest with long sleeves is around 4 stone. I'd guess this is probably about 14lbs.

A belt was definitely a good idea!

SoulMechanic
28th July 09, 05:31 AM
MJs said "stylish chain mail shirt." . . . you fuckwit.

TheMightyMcClaw
28th July 09, 10:43 AM
Are you an ARMA sort, McClaw? That is, will you be flailing in your mail?

No, not really. I think I accidentally joined the SCA once, but that was a long time ago. This was made more-or-less as a costume/art project.

TheMightyMcClaw
28th July 09, 10:45 AM
Very nice. I really like the scale shoulders. Where they premade scales or did you cut them yourself?

Looks like you've made that to fit to the body rather than over anything, so I guess the idea is not to use it in arma/sca/re-enactment then? (You'd really need to wear it over a gambeson for those)

Looks like split metal that you just twist back after joining, rather than riveting or welding. Those 12mm rings there? Whenever my mates have made chain before its usually made with 12mm sprung washers, though a friend did make his own rings with copper wire, and another made a set using 8mm washers. 8mm rings looks fantastic but really adds to the weight.

Lily, a full knee length chain vest with long sleeves is around 4 stone. I'd guess this is probably about 14lbs.

A belt was definitely a good idea!

You know, I've never actually heard of people using washers.... I'll have to check that out. I made all of the rings myself out of 12 gauge steel fencing wire.

WarPhalange
28th July 09, 10:49 AM
I made all of the rings myself out of 12 gauge steel fencing wire.

Jesus Christ!

I have a friend who is into sewing/making all sorts of jewelry and shit and the chain pieces she's done have been out of pre-made chain link deelies that she just had to link together.

TheMightyMcClaw
28th July 09, 11:54 AM
Jesus Christ!

I have a friend who is into sewing/making all sorts of jewelry and shit and the chain pieces she's done have been out of pre-made chain link deelies that she just had to link together.

It would've saved me a lot of time to use pre-made rings, but it saved me even more money to make my own.

Ajamil
28th July 09, 12:37 PM
I think I accidentally joined the SCA once, but that was a long time ago.

LOL!!

Japuma
28th July 09, 12:51 PM
There was some thing missing from these pictures...

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/japuma630/Chainmail_shirt_by_MetalArtisanjpg.png

Ajamil
28th July 09, 01:13 PM
Throw some of those mana and health energy drinks on his belt.

honesty
28th July 09, 01:36 PM
You know, I've never actually heard of people using washers.... I'll have to check that out. I made all of the rings myself out of 12 gauge steel fencing wire.

Yeh, I've had friends make their own rings out of wire, but its actually pretty standard over here in the UK for re-enactors and LRPers to make their chain out of sprung/split steel washers like these:

http://www.nutsboltsandthings.co.uk/springwasher.jpg

Then all you need is 2 pairs of pliers and that's it.

Japuma
28th July 09, 02:11 PM
Updated picture, Now with 100% more Booty!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/japuma630/Chainmail_shirt_by_MetalArtisanj-1.png

Steve
28th July 09, 02:54 PM
Still needs a cape.

Japuma
28th July 09, 03:33 PM
Moved computers... don't have the PNG file here...

WarPhalange
28th July 09, 03:37 PM
Just download the one you posted and add a damn cape. Geez.

SoulMechanic
28th July 09, 03:54 PM
Im sorry but I do not find this cool at all unless it actually serves its intended function. So either A) you made this as some sort of new aged chastity belt? Or run with B) Have you had a friend wack you with a golf club or try to Ginsu knife your ass with that on yet? If so, did it protect you?

Japuma
28th July 09, 03:55 PM
It just makes it harder, using a bitmap image in a vector illustrator... But because I have nothing better to do....

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/japuma630/Chainmail_shirt_by_MetalArtisanj-2.png

TheMightyMcClaw
28th July 09, 04:04 PM
Im sorry but I do not find this cool at all unless it actually serves its intended function. So either A) you made this as some sort of new aged chastity belt? Or run with B) Have you had a friend wack you with a golf club or try to Ginsu knife your ass with that on yet? If so, did it protect you?

Oh, I did have my roommate hit me with a katana a couple of times. The shirt worked fine.

SoulMechanic
28th July 09, 04:14 PM
This is now cool.

SoulMechanic
28th July 09, 04:15 PM
But you, eh. . . Still a dork

jubei33
28th July 09, 04:23 PM
I disagree. I suggest making one of those giant codpieces next.

TheMightyMcClaw
28th July 09, 06:23 PM
I disagree. I suggest making one of those giant codpieces next.

I'm currently working on a scale mail miniskirt for a friend of mine. Once I'm done with that, I'll look into giant cod pieces.

Zendetta
28th July 09, 07:23 PM
I'm currently working on a scale mail miniskirt for a friend of mine.

Ya... we are going to need some pics of that one too.

TheMightyMcClaw
28th July 09, 07:43 PM
Ya... we are going to need some pics of that one too.

I'm not so sure about that. I've noticed that Bullshido tends to turn into a howling pit of autistic fourteen-year-olds the moment a woman is so much as mentioned, let alone has her image posted.

Zendetta
28th July 09, 07:48 PM
Maybe this time will be different.

Harpy
28th July 09, 08:15 PM
Zen - McClaw is half your age and twice as wise.

DAYoung
28th July 09, 08:18 PM
If McClaw wants to show of his crafts, he can PM the trustworthy people.

WarPhalange
29th July 09, 12:31 AM
And me.

Steve
29th July 09, 12:43 AM
I'm not so sure about that. I've noticed that Bullshido tends to turn into a howling pit of autistic fourteen-year-olds the moment a woman is so much as mentioned, let alone has her image posted.

Good thing you aren't posting on Bullshido.

TheMightyMcClaw
29th July 09, 12:44 AM
Good thing you aren't posting on Bullshido.

I'm sure Sociocide will be far better. We never have immature or inane posting here.

DAYoung
29th July 09, 01:05 AM
Stop being ironic and get back to your anachronistic dressmaking.

Steve
29th July 09, 01:15 AM
I'm sure Sociocide will be far better. We never have immature or inane posting here.

Sir, I detect sarcasm.

jubei33
29th July 09, 09:22 AM
all right then, skip the miniskirt and move on to a plate brassiere.

Zendetta
29th July 09, 02:57 PM
Zen - McClaw is half your age and twice as wise.

Neither of those things is much of an accomplishment.

LOVE the avatar though!

Steve
29th July 09, 03:03 PM
all right then, skip the miniskirt and move on to a plate brassiere.

Plate? Do you have any idea how much hotter a chain mail brassiere would be?

Turn in your man card, pls.

29th July 09, 04:24 PM
TheMightyMcClaw, lying awake at night, bedroom window open, awaiting the appearance of NOB dressed as He-Man.

29th July 09, 04:43 PM
She-ra? IS THAT YOU?!!!!
No.
RAM-MAN.

TheMightyMcClaw
30th July 09, 11:22 PM
Update: The Quickening is upon me.
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs46/300W/i/2009/207/7/6/Chainmail_Shirt___Sword_Pose_by_MetalArtisan.jpg

WarPhalange
30th July 09, 11:25 PM
Dude, you shave your armpits?

TheMightyMcClaw
30th July 09, 11:35 PM
Dude, you shave your armpits?

Yeah, You didn't hear about it on the armpit hair thread?
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53431

SoulMechanic
30th July 09, 11:37 PM
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs46/300W/i/2009/207/7/6/Chainmail_Shirt___Sword_Pose_by_MetalArtisan.jpg
Just want to say a quick thank you for cropping out a kneeling 3moose "mouth sheathing your longsword."

Do they put something in the fucking water in Michigan that makes a man get all creepy or what?

EDIT: Weren't you in Dokken?

TheMightyMcClaw
31st July 09, 12:11 AM
Weren't you in Dokken?

In a past life.

31st July 09, 11:23 AM

Moose's nickname is "the Quickening"?

not surprising.

DAYoung
1st August 09, 05:12 PM
Just use one of those lopping saws, McClaw. Seriously. No gardener uses longswords anymore.

(It screams 'amateur'.)

WarPhalange
1st August 09, 11:33 PM
Gardener? Do you not see the fucking trees behind him? When's the last time you had a tree in your garden? No, my friend, this is much more hardcore than trimming your momma's plants.

You might understand if you weren't an academic elitist... uhhh... godless atheist!

For shame.

DAYoung
2nd August 09, 02:35 AM
Sorry. I just-

No, there's no excuse.

I apologise to you unreservedly, O Loops.

JohnnyCache
2nd August 09, 01:56 PM
Just the other day I was wondering

what if marylin manson tried out for basketball in high school and ended up listening to metal WAY less ironically?

now I know (half the battle)

also best possible compromise on the skirt is to take faceless close ups.

JohnnyCache
2nd August 09, 01:57 PM
Yeh, I've had friends make their own rings out of wire, but its actually pretty standard over here in the UK for re-enactors and LRPers to make their chain out of sprung/split steel washers like these:

http://www.nutsboltsandthings.co.uk/springwasher.jpg

Then all you need is 2 pairs of pliers and that's it.

wow this seems both an easy and economical way to be a huge fucking dork

I may try it.

TheMightyMcClaw
2nd August 09, 07:40 PM
Just the other day I was wondering

what if marylin manson tried out for basketball in high school and ended up listening to metal WAY less ironically?

now I know (half the battle)

also best possible compromise on the skirt is to take faceless close ups.

I may do that. If it turns out well, I might try selling the skirts on commission.

2nd August 09, 10:53 PM
I may do that. If it turns out well, I might try selling the skirts on commission.
We both know once you make a skirt they would need to pry it out of your cold, dead, well-manicured and nail-painted hands.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th August 09, 09:01 PM
fuck your chain mail!
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/BullshidoTrail/norimitsu_odachi.jpg
!!!!

TheMightyMcClaw
6th August 09, 01:25 AM
I've got the scale mail skirt about 85-90% done. Unfortunately, I ran out of scales, and the supplier doesn't have any in stock at the moment, so it'll be a while until I can get the last 10-15% done.

6th August 09, 08:14 AM
No, you can't pull off a micro-mini

TheMightyMcClaw
6th August 09, 11:46 AM
No, you can't pull off a micro-mini

Of course I can't.
The girl I'm making it for, on the other hand, can.

6th August 09, 11:54 AM
UR MOMZ

UpaLumpa
6th August 09, 04:37 PM
Sometimes I realize that I really don't belong here.

6th August 09, 04:56 PM
Sometimes I realize that I really don't belong here.

We think you could pull off the micro-mini, fear not.