PDA

View Full Version : Last surviving British veteran of WWI passes on.

Cullion
26th July 09, 11:19 AM
We don't really do 'badass of the month' here on Sociocide, but I think this obituary is really touching. There's no glorification of war here, and I have to admit that my eyes watered a little bit on reading the 5th paragraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/army-obituaries/5911814/Private-Harry-Patch.html

Lebell
26th July 09, 11:37 AM
i don't believe WW1 really took place.
well, it did, but not how they tell us now.

Truculent Sheep
26th July 09, 11:56 AM
How the fuck would you know? You're Dutch.

WarPhalange
26th July 09, 11:58 AM
How the fuck would you know? You're Dutch.

LOL what the fuck?

Cullion
26th July 09, 12:09 PM
You mean you don't believe the generally cited cause ?

Are you talking about the this?

kQhhrzHKMhI

Truculent Sheep
26th July 09, 12:17 PM
LOL what the fuck?

The Dutch did not even fight in WW1. Their main contribution was providing the last refuge of the Kaiser after he was forced to abdicate and die in exile.

Of course, their neutrality in the long run did not save them.

Lebell
26th July 09, 02:14 PM
yes it did.

Ajamil
26th July 09, 02:21 PM
Good man. Risky maneuver with the leg shooting, but I'm glad it worked for him.

WarPhalange
26th July 09, 02:23 PM
The Dutch did not even fight in WW1. Their main contribution was providing the last refuge of the Kaiser after he was forced to abdicate and die in exile.

Of course, their neutrality in the long run did not save them.

God I suck at history.

Good for them for not fighting, though. Was there an actual goal to be attained by either side? The way I heard it, is people were pissed at each other and decided to slaughter each other.

resolve
26th July 09, 02:39 PM
"People"

It was actually the result of bungled political machinations. The people actually fighting the war really had no reason to do so outside of nationalistic pride and Europe's ridiculously bloody history still fresh in people's minds (ie: the status quo... but lo they didn't realize what industry would bring to war).

In fact, there's several instances where, both sides being christian and in some cases when the Americans joined in - relatives (1st, 2nd generation immigrants), they severely objected against fighting once on the battlefield but were made to anyways. The Christmas one was actually pretty hard for me to read... after both sides of the trenches joined in to celebrate Christmas together they refused to start fighting again... until they were made to by their superiors.

To me, it was like God calling out to them... only to be backhanded once more. But I'm sure you'd come up with a different perspective of the incident.

Lebell
26th July 09, 02:57 PM
well nobody can organise a brutal war like teh europeans.

americans try but they are too weakhearted.

bob
26th July 09, 05:09 PM
When they reached the enemy’s second line, four Germans stood up, and one ran forward pointing his bayonet at Patch who, with only three rounds left in his revolver, wondered what to do. He then deliberately fired at the man above the ankle and again above the knee.

Goon and Keinhaar will be along shortly to call bullshido on this.

Harpy
26th July 09, 06:34 PM
Nice post Cullion.

Lest we forget.

TM
26th July 09, 07:31 PM
Christ will you just shut the fuck up! Thanks for fucking up a perfectly good thread. Asshole.

Keith
26th July 09, 07:40 PM
When they reached the enemy’s second line, four Germans stood up, and one ran forward pointing his bayonet at Patch who, with only three rounds left in his revolver, wondered what to do. He then deliberately fired at the man above the ankle and again above the knee.
Goon and Keinhaar will be along shortly to call bullshido on this.
At close range it's do-able, but I wouldn't recomend it as a means to stop a guy looking to gut you with a bayonet. Center mass is always your best bet.

Plasma
26th July 09, 07:41 PM

I guess Lebell doesn't consider it a real war unless his people try and eliminate the jews.

socratic
26th July 09, 10:33 PM
Wasn't a lot of WW1 (at least from the German side) about land-grabbing? If memory serves, the Germans felt they were encircled by powerful industrial and colonial bodies and felt that a) they were acting out of pre-emptive self defense [lololol, sound familiar?] and a need for territory and power. An utterly stupid, stupid war, anyway.

Patch was committed to an old-folks home at age 100. My God, that's impressive.

Also did you notice he's flipping you the bird under his medals?

DAYoung
27th July 09, 12:51 AM
Thanks, Cullion.

The paragraph had the same effect on me.

(Since having kids, I'm much more prone to crying, particularly over stories like that.)

resolve
27th July 09, 12:58 AM
I am amazed at you guys' restraint and honor in this thread. You didn't even mention that his name was Private Harry Patch. I'm impressed... oh wai... crap :(

Amazing story nonetheless.

Lebell
27th July 09, 04:02 AM
I guess Lebell doesn't consider it a real war unless his people try and eliminate the jews.

no, it's like...hm...something on the side.

we've been doing it since 1087 AD.
when the first crusade was called upon by the pope the northern contigents travelled through the ruhr area of germany towards constantinople and set fire to the jewish quarters and killing several thousands.

ever since it's like a good luck charm or something.

i don't like it neither but it seems that whenever a european power goes to war they wack some jews first.

with an exception of ww1 though.

TheMightyMcClaw
27th July 09, 09:38 AM
Wasn't a lot of WW1 (at least from the German side) about land-grabbing? If memory serves, the Germans felt they were encircled by powerful industrial and colonial bodies and felt that a) they were acting out of pre-emptive self defense [lololol, sound familiar?] and a need for territory and power. An utterly stupid, stupid war, anyway.

Patch was committed to an old-folks home at age 100. My God, that's impressive.

Also did you notice he's flipping you the bird under his medals?
Pretty much. In turned into a world-wide feeding frenzy on the corpses of the German, Austro-Hungarian, and Ottoman Empires. Observe this map:
http://img.tripatlas.com:8080/media/images/WWI-re.png
The gray are neutral countries. The orange are the Central Powers. The green is the Entente.
By 1918, it was one of the biggest clusterfucks in history.

Ajamil
27th July 09, 08:21 PM
One opinion I've heard on the motives of WW1 was the collapse of the British monarchy's influence over other national leaders. There was a lot of relation through marriage in those circles, and mommy the Queen was passing on. When that happened there was a lot of jostling of shoulders to get what was left.

socratic
28th July 09, 03:30 AM
One opinion I've heard on the motives of WW1 was the collapse of the British monarchy's influence over other national leaders. There was a lot of relation through marriage in those circles, and mommy the Queen was passing on. When that happened there was a lot of jostling of shoulders to get what was left.

The Tsarina was a cousin of the Kaizer; the British royal family ran most of Europe, even if it wasn't under a British banner.

Lebell
28th July 09, 04:46 AM
The Tsarina was a cousin of the Kaizer; the British royal family ran most of Europe, even if it wasn't under a British banner.

no they did not.
the royal houses just did what they have done for centuries, they marry amonst eachother.

having a sister or cousin married to a tsar or kaiser didnt mean you had any influence.

socratic
28th July 09, 07:21 AM
no they did not.
the royal houses just did what they have done for centuries, they marry amonst eachother.

having a sister or cousin married to a tsar or kaiser didnt mean you had any influence.

I didn't mean that they literally ran the show like some Illuminati, I meant 'ran' as in 'people of British royal descent [ie members of the British royal family, even the extended family] were in the highest authority positions of several states', due to what you just describe. If your cousins and whatnot were kings and leaders of most of the Old World, then your family could be said to be 'running the show'.

Lebell
28th July 09, 10:29 AM
I didn't mean that they literally ran the show like some Illuminati, I meant 'ran' as in 'people of British royal descent [ie members of the British royal family, even the extended family] were in the highest authority positions of several states', due to what you just describe. If your cousins and whatnot were kings and leaders of most of the Old World, then your family could be said to be 'running the show'.

hm.
same could be said for the russians and germans then.

it's one big breedingfest.

our future queen is an argentinian former partygirl.
it's going to be cool having a king again after like 3 queens.
our current queen is like 75 or something.
she'll abdicate soon.

jkdbuck76
28th July 09, 04:41 PM
Private Harry Patch.

If I pulled down my shorts, you'd see my private harry patch!

In any case, RIP, soldier!

socratic
29th July 09, 03:50 AM
Private Harry Patch.

If I pulled down my shorts, you'd see my private harry patch!

In any case, RIP, soldier!

Private Harry Patch will knock you down and whip you silly.

Lebell
29th July 09, 04:01 AM
hey guys its not cool nor funny to make fun of ww1 veterans, one specimen of that generation was tougher then you and us combined together.

little more respect please.

bob
29th July 09, 04:22 AM
Meh, I've reached my thirties. How many of them were tough enough to do that?

socratic
29th July 09, 07:27 AM
Meh, I've reached my thirties. How many of them were tough enough to do that?

No-where near enough, apparently.

danno
29th July 09, 07:33 AM
i know a vietnam vet who said that when people are dying in the field they often cry out for their mother. pretty heart-rending stuff.

Lebell
29th July 09, 09:22 AM
what would you expect danno?

your legs are ripped off or your guts are hanging out and you're pretty sure you're done for.
i can imagine i want to go back to a ' safe place' mentally.

in combat things go back into their raw essential basics, why wouldnt the same go for the mind?

i saw a kid die once, he jumped of a roof, landed, stood up for 2 seconds and collapsed.
the roof wasnt high enough to make him into a streetpizza but high enough to kill em within minutes.
people where standing around him and he was crying and also calling for his mom.

he died within some 2 minutes or so.

jkdbuck76
29th July 09, 11:57 AM
hey guys its not cool nor funny to make fun of ww1 veterans, one specimen of that generation was tougher then you and us combined together.

little more respect please.

Lebell, you don't even know what WWI is!

Sure, I respect him. But don't you think it is at least worth a chuckle that his name is "Private Harry Patch" ?

It would be like Richard Head. Or Harry Ball. Or some asian guy named Wun Hung Gai.

Lebell
29th July 09, 12:06 PM
im very dissapointed.

not angry...dissapointed.

Kein Haar
29th July 09, 05:10 PM
I heard an imported pygmy ran amok in Gloucestershiringhamadilly.

The effects rippled through time.

Dark Helmet
29th July 09, 05:40 PM
im very dissapointed.

not angry...dissapointed.
I heard the voices of my parents for a moment behind me.

bob
29th July 09, 08:41 PM
I heard the voices of my parents for a moment behind me.

Dark Helmet: What are you doing Dad?
Dad: Look son, no hands!

Dark Helmet
29th July 09, 10:04 PM
Yes! He was a great magician. You should have seen his coin trick, Bornsceptic, it was fun.

OZZ
29th July 09, 10:25 PM
no, it's like...hm...something on the side.

we've been doing it since 1087 AD.
when the first crusade was called upon by the pope the northern contigents travelled through the ruhr area of germany towards constantinople and set fire to the jewish quarters and killing several thousands.

ever since it's like a good luck charm or something.

i don't like it neither but it seems that whenever a european power goes to war they wack some jews first.

with an exception of ww1 though.

God, you are such an idiot..

Lebell
30th July 09, 04:37 AM
God, you are such an idiot..

stfu you canadian dick.

Dark Helmet
30th July 09, 04:18 PM
You better take that back Lebell, or will give your cuntry back to Germany.

Lebell
31st July 09, 01:18 PM
suits me just fine.
better with germany then with the kanadianz.