PDA

View Full Version : How to use a Tazer to maximum effect - man on fire

Harpy
20th July 09, 10:00 PM
Western Australia, a known petrol sniffer is Tazed, catches on fire. Police officers go to his rescue:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/839881/man-catches-on-fire-after-use-of-taser

Nowhere in the report does it say that the person of interest attacked or posed a threat to police. Why the use of the TASER dammit? That is going overboard.

SFGOON
20th July 09, 10:15 PM
Under those circumstances, he's lucky he didn't get shot. Fucking glue-sniffing brain-rotted freak.

Harpy
20th July 09, 10:54 PM
Call me naive Goon, but can you explain why he was lucky to not get shot?

Isn't an old fashioned manual restraint (or a good clubbing with a baton around the knees and back) sufficient for a glue sniffer? In fact, are glue-sniffers induced into violent behaviour?

TheLordHumungus
20th July 09, 11:26 PM
Western Australia, a known petrol sniffer is Tazed, catches on fire. Police officers go to his rescue:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/839881/man-catches-on-fire-after-use-of-taser

Nowhere in the report does it say that the person of interest attacked or posed a threat to police. Why the use of the TASER dammit? That is going overboard.

The police can't be credited with rescuing a bloke they set on fire in the first place.

TheLordHumungus
20th July 09, 11:28 PM

Isn't an old fashioned manual restraint (or a good clubbing with a baton around the knees and back) sufficient for a glue sniffer? In fact, are glue-sniffers induced into violent behaviour?

To be fair to the pigs, if a dude was running at me with gas and a lighter, I'd probably get a little nervous too.

nihilist
21st July 09, 12:56 AM
Petrol sniffing is really hot right now.

WarPhalange
21st July 09, 01:12 AM
Looks like the motherfucker cranked that bitch up to 11

TheLordHumungus
21st July 09, 01:45 AM
Inexcusable, unless you're a member of Spinal Tap.

Cullion
21st July 09, 02:35 AM
I think the taser was the sensible option here. The fool was just unlucky he happened to be covered in petrol fumes, but that's nobody elses fault.

The cop used the least lethal tool he had which could keep himself safe and then helped the guy afterwards. That's exactly what I want them to do.

sochin101
21st July 09, 02:44 AM
Why the use of the TASER dammit?
No matches?
Couldn't be sure that a bullet would ignite the petrol?
Seems like the safe choice to me.

Good work, policemen.

sochin101
21st July 09, 03:00 AM
Petrol sniffing is really hot right now.
In Australia, they drink the petrol.
Seriously... in certain states, it's illegal to carry petrol in jerry cans, in case it's stolen, or you're peddling it to the petrol drinkers. Any petrol you own must be in a vehicle's petrol tank.

socratic
21st July 09, 04:07 AM
In Australia, they drink the petrol.
Seriously... in certain states, it's illegal to carry petrol in jerry cans, in case it's stolen, or you're peddling it to the petrol drinkers. Any petrol you own must be in a vehicle's petrol tank.

No one drinks petrol, they inhale the fumes, and only rednecks and backwater-folk do it. Thus, this happened in Western Australia, probably somewhere in the desert. Buncha fuckin' rednecks out there, and a bunch of them 'mysteriously' die in custody out there. That whole region is the reason why Australia has more human rights abuses than Moldavia.

Cullion
21st July 09, 05:00 AM
i) sochin101 was obviously joking, duh.

ii) It was an aborigine, not a redneck, you silly self-hating college whigger.

socratic
21st July 09, 06:27 AM
i) sochin101 was obviously joking, duh.

ii) It was an aborigine, not a redneck, you silly self-hating college whigger.

I used redneck to mean country fuckhead. There's a lot of stupid people in that goddamn desert.

And since when was I whigger? I have black relatives but they aren't the kind of black that you want to be when you're a whigger.

Also my funny bone is broken today.

SFGOON
21st July 09, 06:45 AM
We're actually trained, specifically, not to tase jackasses covered in gas, what your people call "petrol."

Either way, this was a clear cut lethal force circumstance. Let me ask you this, can a glue-sniffing freak with a can of gasoline and a lighter do more, less or equal damage to your person than said same with a flamethrower?

socratic
21st July 09, 07:08 AM
We're actually trained, specifically, not to tase jackasses covered in gas, what your people call "petrol."

Either way, this was a clear cut lethal force circumstance. Let me ask you this, can a glue-sniffing freak with a can of gasoline and a lighter do more, less or equal damage to your person than said same with a flamethrower?
If a dude came at me with a flammable liquid and a lighter I'm guessing he's gonna light me. So yeah, lethal force.

Just remember though that quite a few Aboriginals die out that way in police custody. Enough for the UN to notice, at least. I blame alcoholism, poor job opportunities, shitty lifestyles, domestic violence, and police callousness. I think all of these kinda interrelate.

nihilist
21st July 09, 09:11 AM
Those cops were heartless assholes. they should have at least had the common decency to piss on him to put him out.

Kein Haar
21st July 09, 09:32 AM
....or a good clubbing with a baton around the knees and back)

??

Have someone do both to you, and then reflect on that a little bit.

Doritosaurus Chex
21st July 09, 09:36 AM
I wonder if the gas sniffer did it to become a Transformer. Someone should tell him that some kid in China tried it:

http://en.rian.ru/strange/20090720/155566877.html

Kein Haar
21st July 09, 09:38 AM
the worried parents locked the vehicle away.

Because that addressess the root of the boy's problem; mere vehicle access.

lulz.

Cullion
21st July 09, 11:08 AM
That article amazes me. I thought petroleum was an organic solvent that would've given him a powerful burning sensation and serious internal damage straight away when he's drinking quantities like 'half a bottle'.

Ajamil
21st July 09, 11:19 AM
That website is a gold mine!

Cyclops born in India, Russian fisherman catch squeaking alien and eat it, ANOTHER child raised by dogs in Russia's far east.

Somehow, a Chinese toddler claiming to be world's youngest smoker is related news to the boy drinking petrol.

FriendlyFire
21st July 09, 11:22 AM

I guess you skipped the part where he was running at police with a lighter and a tank of gas, unless you do not consider that a threat. They are not even sure it was the taser, and not the lighter in his hand, that ignited him.

Cullion
21st July 09, 11:42 AM
Lily, how would you have stopped him?

sochin101
21st July 09, 04:17 PM
Nagging.
She'd have nagged him into submission.

Harpy
21st July 09, 05:19 PM
Lily, how would you have stopped him?

Physically restrain him with the help of my colleague (who would be on hand with the tazer if TWO people could not subdue the person of interest).

Cullion
21st July 09, 05:21 PM
So you want to wrestle with the guy holding a leaking bottle of fuel and a cigarette lighter? And you want the guy with the taser to wait until you're both wrapped around the guy struggling with him before he opens fire?

Kein Haar
21st July 09, 05:22 PM
I say we just let her think that.

Ok, Lily. That sounds reasonable.

Harpy
21st July 09, 05:27 PM
:) Cullion, you make it sound fun.

All I'm saying is that the police in this instance definitely messed up. Why not set some police dogs on him or use your basic training when it comes to restraining people?

Cullion
21st July 09, 05:27 PM
Isn't it obvious that the police should be issued with batarangs for situations just like this ?

http://dgmboomerangs.com/shop/images/BATARANG.jpg

Kein Haar
21st July 09, 05:30 PM
Multiple police dogs. That sounds reasonable, Lily. Yes. I agree.

Harpy
21st July 09, 05:46 PM
I'd personally let the dogs go at him and shepherd him down the nearest hill. I'd get in my police cruiser, release the handbrake and steamroll him.

Kein Haar
21st July 09, 05:52 PM
Uh-huh!

Cullion
21st July 09, 06:28 PM
You can't use dogs Lily, think how you'd feel if the dogs got burned!

Harpy
21st July 09, 06:35 PM
One wouldn't need to use a taser once the hounds are released. Seriously, I think I could take the guy down on my own.

Doritosaurus Chex
21st July 09, 07:21 PM
Lily, you should let kracker field these questions for you.

TheLordHumungus
21st July 09, 11:12 PM

Less, I'd imagine. The oil a flamethrower pus out clings and burns longer than the petrol alone.

What absolutely kills me is that Lily trolled me into making a remark defending the response of a pig.

That hurts.

Badly.

Harpy
21st July 09, 11:31 PM
What absolutely kills me is that Lily trolled me into making a remark defending the response of a pig.

That hurts.

Badly.

It actually proves that you are a rational adult capable of seeing different sides of an argument.

I did it for your own good :)

TheLordHumungus
21st July 09, 11:35 PM
But, but.....fuck da poleez? Amirite, anyone?!?!

Oh forget it, the magic has been taken out of it now.

Doritosaurus Chex
21st July 09, 11:48 PM
Those are exceptions, not rules.

What you need is a good ol' fashioned article of a loiterer getting tased to set things right again.

TheLordHumungus
22nd July 09, 12:01 AM
Those are exceptions, not rules.

What you need is a good ol' fashioned article of a loiterer getting tased to set things right again.

*Backs away from the ledge*

Phew, thanks man. I needed that. Shit just didn't make sense anymore. I'm sure a little assholery from officers will set me right as rain.

Harpy
22nd July 09, 12:08 AM
TLH - did you read about the case in New Mexico where a 14 year old girl was tazed?!

TheLordHumungus
22nd July 09, 01:41 AM
TLH - did you read about the case in New Mexico where a 14 year old girl was tazed?!

No. Details, plz. That should be just what the doctor ordered.

Harpy
22nd July 09, 01:44 AM
What does 'hit her in the head with a Tazer' mean? I don't think he fed her any volts.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/new-1364381-mexico-girl.html

TheLordHumungus
22nd July 09, 01:48 AM
Perfect. If you're such a mewling punk that you need a taser to take down a running 14 yr old girl, I have no problem considering you a worthless, power-hungry, bully.

Thanks guys.

sochin101
22nd July 09, 02:58 AM
LOL Mexico.
Police in the Third World have different methods.
He probably tried witchcraft first, and when that failed, used the ARCANE LIGHTNING STICK.

sochin101
22nd July 09, 03:04 AM
LOOK... A STORY WITH A POLICE DOG CALLED TASER
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25705398-3102,00.html

QUICK, LILY, BURN HIM... IMMOLATE HIM... SEND HIM INTO THE FIERY WRATH OF A PETROL-SNIFFING IDIOT.

THEN POST A THREAD WHERE PETA CONDEMN THE POLICE FOR USING DOGS IN DANGEROUS SITUATIONS.
PLEASE MAKE YOUR TONE BOTH UNQUALIFIED AND SUPERIOR.

Kein Haar
22nd July 09, 08:43 AM
The Taser hit the girl in the head and back. She fell and a stick got lodged in her face. She had to have surgery and now has staples in her head where the Taser hit her.

LOL at the Chief of police doing that!

Fearless Ukemi
22nd July 09, 09:43 AM

The article I read on AOL the other day said he was approaching the cops with a container of gasoline and refused to put it down.

Fearless Ukemi
22nd July 09, 09:44 AM

Ok, nevermind. You're trolling.

TheLordHumungus
22nd July 09, 10:45 AM
LOL Mexico.
Police in the Third World have different methods.
He probably tried witchcraft first, and when that failed, used the ARCANE LIGHTNING STICK.

Not Mexico, you daft limey. New Mexico. That's one of the states we yanks have established over here in the colonies.

The US economy is in shitty shape, but we're not 3rd world yet.

sochin101
22nd July 09, 02:52 PM
Not Mexico, you daft limey. New Mexico. That's one of the states we yanks have established over here in the colonies.
LOL...
New Mexico? LOL. As if.
*checks map*
OMG... Americans are always complaining about Mexicans, and yet you give them a whole state to live in?
How high are the fences? How do you stop them from getting into the real US?
Or, is it like what you guys did with Utah? Keeping the Mormons in by not asking questions about heir strange, fringe religious cult and allowing them to marry their 8 year old children?

The US economy is in shitty shape, but we're not 3rd world yet.
BET YOU WISH YOU'D KEPT THAT TEA INSTEAD OF THROWING IT AWAY, RIGHT?
BE WORTH A FRIGGIN' FORTUNE NOW, WOULDN'T IT?

Kein Haar
22nd July 09, 04:41 PM
Good points. All of them.

socratic
22nd July 09, 05:51 PM

Look man, I don't know how to tell you this... Whoo boy... Uh...

I wanna establish a Republic. We'll stay in the Commonwealth but we aren't bowing and scraping to that zombie crone of your any longer.

socratic
22nd July 09, 06:04 PM
Those cops were heartless assholes. they should have at least had the common decency to piss on him to put him out.

That's what model citizen Postal Dude would have done.

Harpy
22nd July 09, 06:16 PM
I wanna establish a Republic. We'll stay in the Commonwealth but we aren't bowing and scraping to that zombie crone of your any longer.

You are being charged with treason. Long live the Queen! (seriously, I LOVE her).

socratic
22nd July 09, 06:17 PM
You are being charged with treason. Long live the Queen! (seriously, I LOVE her).

Which is why you're fat, celibate and your coworkers hate you, whereas I am thin, svelte, and a real O.G.

Harpy
22nd July 09, 06:24 PM
Should a man be 'svelte'?

O.G. = Orange Gorilla? Oriental Girl?

Cullion
22nd July 09, 06:27 PM
We'll stay in the Commonwealth but we aren't bowing and scraping to that zombie crone of your any longer.

Because you're really under the thumb now.

Zendetta
22nd July 09, 06:38 PM
You soveriegn subjects will be singing a different fucking tune once your Warrior King takes the throne.

Harpy
22nd July 09, 06:43 PM
Are you referring to Prince William?

Zendetta
22nd July 09, 07:59 PM
Yes.

Incidentally, "William" is my name too.

Harpy
22nd July 09, 09:09 PM
You don't strike me as a Warrior of any kind. Unless aromatherapy massage oil and chanting have become weapons of mass destruction and I didn't get the memo.

Now pledge your loyalty to me.

TheLordHumungus
23rd July 09, 01:18 AM
LOL...
New Mexico? LOL. As if.
*checks map*
OMG... Americans are always complaining about Mexicans, and yet you give them a whole state to live in?
How high are the fences? How do you stop them from getting into the real US?
Or, is it like what you guys did with Utah? Keeping the Mormons in by not asking questions about heir strange, fringe religious cult and allowing them to marry their 8 year old children?

Turns out the Utah thing failed. This country is fricking littered with Mormons. My buddy joined the U.S.Marine Corps and in less than a year becomes a devout fucking Mormon. Utah's where we should have built the damn fence.

But keeping Mexicans out. They're the hardest working mofos we have in this country. Well except for us slavs. Some jobs are below even the unemployed Americans this economy has caused.

Was it Earl Grey? Because if so the anniversary of the Boston tea party shoul be a day of morning. Earl Grey was the only thing that made your Empire tolerable. Just ask the Falkland Islands.

sochin101
23rd July 09, 01:22 AM
"One will eat your braiiiinnnzzzzzz"

socratic
23rd July 09, 01:24 AM
"One will eat your braiiiinnnzzzzzz"When you guys pay her the allowance, is it in brains or dark rituals to keep her soul tied to her husk of a body?

Harpy
23rd July 09, 01:27 AM
Her Royal Highness is a benevolent and spry monarch. A fine example to us all to not allow ourselves to dwindle in old age.

sochin101
23rd July 09, 03:15 AM
When you guys pay her the allowance, is it in brains or dark rituals to keep her soul tied to her husk of a body?
Asylum seekers brains.

(not brown ones. Prince Phil would not approve)

socratic
23rd July 09, 06:53 PM
Because you're really under the thumb now.

It's about the principle, dear Cullion. I don't live in the 1300s and I don't want to live like I live in the 1300s, I don't need no friggin' queen.

Her Royal Highness is a benevolent and spry monarch. A fine example to us all to not allow ourselves to dwindle in old age.

She's pretty spry for an arcane cadaver, I'll give you that.

Asylum seekers brains.

(not brown ones. Prince Phil would not approve)

"We are Not Amused, Phillip. This is a Moslem Brain. I demahnd a bare minimum of French Brain."

Harpy
23rd July 09, 07:04 PM
She's pretty spry for an arcane cadaver, I'll give you that.

Socractic, don't you admire Queen Elizabeth II for her strength of will and ability to keep it together? Imagine having those children. Her utter commitment to the British throne is what keeps her powering on until one of her more capable grandchildren is ready to rule. She is amazing to me and displays a practicality that we could all use a little more of.

The Queen could do with a little more emotion in the public eye but that does not take away from her reign.

Zendetta
23rd July 09, 07:12 PM
You don't strike me as a Warrior of any kind. Unless aromatherapy massage oil and chanting have become weapons of mass destruction and I didn't get the memo.

Well, we've never sparred or spent time on the gunrange together. I got into massage therapy because of my interests in martial arts, by the way.

Now pledge your loyalty to me.

The only Royal I pay allegiance to is Earl Grey.

socratic
23rd July 09, 07:27 PM
Socractic, don't you admire Queen Elizabeth II for her strength of will and ability to keep it together? Imagine having those children. Her utter commitment to the British throne is what keeps her powering on until one of her more capable grandchildren is ready to rule. She is amazing to me and displays a practicality that we could all use a little more of.

The Queen could do with a little more emotion in the public eye but that does not take away from her reign.

She's also the highest paid person in the western fucking world, lives in a fucking palace, and is by birth the 'best' person in her entire country. Yeah, she has it really rough, getting given money, being incredibly rich, having to have all those beastly children she chose to have...

All she has to do is sign laws made by other people and shake hands, figuratively, with various colonial leaders every now and again.

And really... England would have been much better off if she'd died when her son was still middle aged. The whole 'monarchy' thing seems to work best when you can get fresh, intelligent blood into the system as quickly as possible, rather than some decaying hag remnant from WW2.

GuiltySpark
23rd July 09, 10:52 PM

Isn't an old fashioned manual restraint (or a good clubbing with a baton around the knees and back) sufficient for a glue sniffer? In fact, are glue-sniffers induced into violent behaviour? Oh God

You know what, Lily may have a point. WTF is wrong with the police. We shouldn't give police officers tasers OR come to think of it, hand guns.

We pay police a lot of money to get beat up stabbed and shot by criminals, those fuckers should start to earn their money.

Lily are you actually suggesting a police officer should wrestle with someone covered in gas and carrying a lighter?

Ajamil
24th July 09, 12:54 AM
Her utter commitment to the British throne is what keeps her powering on until one of her more capable grandchildren is ready to rule.[queen voice]I simply will not die until one of you can figure out how to do it right![/queen voice]

She could give back the Crown Jewels stolen from India. That'd be pretty cool.

DAYoung
24th July 09, 01:36 AM
Instead of, in the first instance, telling cops how go about their business, maybe we could ask them what the options were?

So, LEO/Village People Moustache types: what options would be available to you in this circumstance, what would you choose, and why? (I know: different states, countries - humour me.)

(THEN we can make fun of you for being t00ls of the fascist syst3m.)

nihilist
24th July 09, 01:49 AM
"To protect and serve" is just a suggestion.
People really only become cops to run the siren.

DAYoung
24th July 09, 01:54 AM
I want the Wutang Police.

'To protect yo neck, and swerve.'

SFGOON
24th July 09, 08:10 AM
The lighter and the gas or "petrol" (ha ha how colloquial!!) is a lethal weapon, and if Johnny shithead is running directly at you with a lethal weapon you have to assume he is trying to kill you and act as such.

So, how do we safely end the encounter? Lemme check my bat-belt...

Baton - great impact weapon, can break bones. However, the range on it is a little short to deal with the threat.

OC - worthless here. It takes a few seconds to kick in, and you can still fight hard, answer difficult questions, and use fine motor skills after the worst OCing you could imagine. I know because I have done so.

Taser - great if the guy wasn't covered in fumes at their flashpoint. Taser's training course SPECIFICALLY contraindicates zapping guys covered in gas, or around fumes. Mind you tasers don't always work, and you only get one shot.

Pistol - the guy dies BUT he may not stop fighting you for up to a minute after being lit up. SCARY SHIT!

Backing/running - I would have done this as I drew my pistol. It probably would not have worked, as Johnny Shithead can run forward a lot faster than I could run backwards, and I'm NOT turning my back on something like that. I'd be hoping he'd trip and fall, or come to his fucking senses, or be tackled by a family member who grasps the gravity of the situation. But, I'd say about 9 times out of 10 I'd still wind up shooting him.

Shooting him in the shoulder/leg/shooting the gas can out of his hand - no knave, not even cops have that degree of fine motor control during an adrenaline dump. All shots have to go to center mass or you'll very likely miss.

So there's your use of force matrix for this one. I don't have to say that the taser was a horrid choice. I would have tried to avoid gunning him down, but ultimately it would have been necessary.

Necessary has a specific definition for us Law and Order types, this is it;

"No reasonably effective alternative to the use of force appeared to exist, and the amount of force used was reasonable to achieve the lawful intended purpose."

Police have to make split-second tactical decisions, and confronting a man with a knife or other potentially lethal weapon is no time for detached reflection.

It's a tough job, actually.

TheLordHumungus
24th July 09, 11:56 AM
Earl Grey.

I think that's what this needs to be derailed into, a thread on the wonders of Earl Grey.

DAYoung
24th July 09, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Goon. That was the sort of thing I was after.

Harpy
24th July 09, 06:59 PM
hums *shorty call 9-1-1 there's a fire burning on the dance floor*

Aargh, I can't get the Sean Kingston song out of my head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkqnd2eIcZM

Harpy
24th July 09, 07:00 PM
Oh and goon, thank you, explains it.

GS - ;) you should know better by now

Doritosaurus Chex
24th July 09, 10:16 PM
Police have to make split-second tactical decisions, and confronting a man with a knife or other potentially lethal weapon is no time for detached reflection.

It's a tough job, actually.

The job is actually like being a quarterback in football. Armchair officers seem to know how to make the right decisions and do a better job than you.

GuiltySpark
24th July 09, 10:40 PM
Good post goon.

Lily, touche.

DAYoung
24th July 09, 10:53 PM
It was my question. Do I win a picnic hamper?

GuiltySpark
25th July 09, 12:43 AM
You win a signed by me copy of Uriel's Machine.

socratic
25th July 09, 01:03 AM
[queen voice]I simply will not die until one of you can figure out how to do it right![/queen voice]

She could give back the Crown Jewels stolen from India. That'd be pretty cool.
Right. Next you'll want them to put the Mughals back. <royal voice>India is a part of Britain.</roval voice>

<tentative royal voice> or was. </tentative royal voice>

sochin101
25th July 09, 02:39 AM
The IPL had 'Royal' in the names of two of their cricket teams.
Obviously, Queenie would probably have preferred Delhi's Colonial Fuzzy-Wuzzys, or The Queen's Bombay Subjects, but it was a nice gesture nevertheless.

socratic
25th July 09, 02:44 AM
The IPL had 'Royal' in the names of two of their cricket teams.
Obviously, Queenie would probably have preferred Delhi's Colonial Fuzzy-Wuzzys, or The Queen's Bombay Subjects, but it was a nice gesture nevertheless.

Our navy is Her Majesty's Australian Navy. Lots of the commonwealth are passive buttmonkeys to the zombie crone.

socratic
25th July 09, 02:46 AM
<royal voice> Oh deah, Chahles, we do not like those utterly hirsute brown people. </royal voice>

Kein Haar
25th July 09, 04:18 AM
I would encourage everyone to not forget Goons omfg n00bocity.

SFGOON
25th July 09, 08:23 AM
Oh don't worry, you'll never let them forget that!

Ajamil
25th July 09, 01:28 PM
I would encourage everyone to not forget Goons omfg n00bocity.

Doesn't that mean he's all bright-eyed and filled to the brim with textbook rules and regulations, though? It'll take years of disillusionment before he becomes gritty, bitter, and full of, "look, the book can say whatever it wants, on the teh str33tz we do things this way."