PDA

View Full Version : Friday night feature with Stick & his girl... And Plasma: Harry Potter & the HBP

Stick
17th July 09, 07:07 PM
In about 10 minutes the lights will dim and the three of us will sit in happy judgment of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Here's hoping for good things.

Edit: Curse you, thread title character limit!

Plasma
17th July 09, 07:13 PM
I is here. Trailers are starting. Shhhhhhhh

Steve
17th July 09, 07:13 PM
Seeing it in 3-D, by chance? I'll be hittin' it up as soon as it does here..... In IMAX!

EuropIan
17th July 09, 07:15 PM
TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE, YOU FUCKERS!

Plasma
17th July 09, 10:26 PM
No worries we did, too bad retarded guy who answered his phone and had a conversation on it didn't. Anyway:

As a movie is was awesome, accurate enough to the book while be an entity of its own. Now I was disappointed that the epic Snape Battle and Monologue wasn't so epic. The death scene was fine, but I thought the best part was Harry goating Snape at the end up the book, and provoking him into a frenzy by calling him a coward. Its too bad cause Rickman had the acting skills to annihilate that scene.

socratic
18th July 09, 08:46 AM
Do this next time:

6pVQ9Q-AfRc

EuropIan
18th July 09, 08:48 AM
I love Californication and all the scuffles He gets into.

Spade: The Real Snake
18th July 09, 09:56 AM
Seeing it in 3-D, by chance? I'll be hittin' it up as soon as it does here..... In IMAX!

That doesn't come out until the 29th of July.

We saw Order of the Phoenix in IMAX 3-D (well only the Ministry of Magic part was in 3-D) and it was awesome.

Stick
18th July 09, 10:22 AM
Yeah, Plasma ?d I did the true and good thing and silenced our phones, but the guy in the next aisle over did not. He answered his phone about 15 minutes into the movie and spoke loud as you please.

"I'm in theater one... Watching the movie... In theater one... Where are you? ... I'm in the theater right now... Watching the movie."

It was around this point I was seriously starting to get pissed off. Then he finally turned off his phone, got up and lurched to the exitm the guy was clearly disabled in some way. Plasma wasn't joking about the guy being retarded, so I let it go and the guy didn't cause any more distractions.

Many, many changes were made in order to fit The Half-Blood Prince into 2.5 hours and the continuity created by the first five films. As I said to Plasma during a new scene in which death eaters destroy the Weasely home, "adaptation is adapted!"

That said, the film more or less hit on the books major points: wizard/teen romance, Voldemort's early life, and betrayal.

The romantic comedy aspects were kind of cute, but really that's all they could be. The relationship between Harry and Ginny felt somewhat tacked on and forced- no where near as built up, foreshadowed, and meaningful as their relationship in the books. The relationship between Ron & Hermione was better handled as they are obviously saving that kiss up for the last film.

We only got 2 scenes of Tom Riddle pre-Voldemort. Both were done well, but a lot of nuance was missing without further exposition from Dumbledore and all the additional scenes. For example, absolutely no explanation was given for Voldemort's ring. Had I not read the books, it would've meant nothing to me that the camera shifted to the ring on Riddle's finger when Slughirn said "is it not bad enough to contemplate one murder, but SEVEN".

I suppose that's really my biggest complaint: too much story to fit into 2.5 hours, it feels like so much is missing.

Now, regarding Snape, as Plasma said I think Rickman's really been reigned in here. It was great that in the astronomy tower scene things were changed so that Snape and Harry each knows the other's there and that Harry let's Snape go to Dumbledore under the very distinct impression he's there to save the day- I really, REALLY liked that change. But where in the book Snape seemed incredibly torn and emotional and on the ragged edge- especially when Harry calls him a coward- Rickman just seems dead. I suppose that's one way to go, but I did not like it. You could tell Snape was torn up by killing Dumbledor, but rather than getting more and more outwardly emotional, movie-Snape just shut down.

I enjoyed it, but it's kind of hard not to have problems with this movie.

Ajamil
18th July 09, 03:19 PM
Arrgh!! I did not like this movie at all. Even ignoring the horrible mess of cutting out book elements to make a movie, the movie doesn't stand on its own.

The very title of the installment (Half Blood Prince) was almost totally ignored save for one or two scenes and a pathetic reveal at the end.

I also felt they destroyed one of the most important aspects of the growing up/adult life themes: realizing that Dumbledore isn't a shining hero - he has faults and worries and makes mistakes. They completely glossed over those things and had him be the look-up-to, always trust idol for Harry just like he was when Harry was freaking 10.

Steve
18th July 09, 07:08 PM
That doesn't come out until the 29th of July.

We saw Order of the Phoenix in IMAX 3-D (well only the Ministry of Magic part was in 3-D) and it was awesome.

Ah, cool. I'm super stoked to see it since it will be the first 3-D movie I have ever seen (how ever much of it is).

Tom Kagan
18th July 09, 10:37 PM
Plasma didn't have a date?

WarPhalange
19th July 09, 01:55 AM
The teddy bear.

socratic
19th July 09, 03:21 AM
Arrgh!! I did not like this movie at all. Even ignoring the horrible mess of cutting out book elements to make a movie, the movie doesn't stand on its own.

The very title of the installment (Half Blood Prince) was almost totally ignored save for one or two scenes and a pathetic reveal at the end.

I also felt they destroyed one of the most important aspects of the growing up/adult life themes: realizing that Dumbledore isn't a shining hero - he has faults and worries and makes mistakes. They completely glossed over those things and had him be the look-up-to, always trust idol for Harry just like he was when Harry was freaking 10.

I haven't read the books, but I thought the whole point was that Dumbledore was this mythically powerful omni-father-figure to anyone who likes to wave sticks around and speak in faux latin?

Plasma
19th July 09, 04:47 AM

I am not seeing anyone, and my idea of a first date doesn't involve Stick or Harry Potter so I didn't ask anyone. I actually just wanted to see the movie and it so happen Mr and Mrs Stick wanted to as well, so I met up with them at the theater.

The teddy bear.

*Witty Retort*

Ajamil
19th July 09, 11:19 AM
I haven't read the books, but I thought the whole point was that Dumbledore was this mythically powerful omni-father-figure to anyone who likes to wave sticks around and speak in faux latin?

The one think I really like about Rowling is the fact that the books grow up with the child. The first is at an incredibly easy reading level, and the characters and reactions are as you'd expect for a child. As they books go on, they get more advanced in their reading, and more "real" or "adult" in dealing with topics, thus the darker aspects. Just as you learn when you grow up that your parents didn't know everything and are just people trying to raise a kid without a manual, Dumbledore also is revealed as a flawed and ordinary though very talented person/wizard.

The biggest thing I hated about this movie was that the book focused on Snape - who he was, what his reasons for hating Harry were, and why he's been skirting this agent/double agent/triple agent line. To leave out Harry's father harassing him, his infatuation with Harry's mother, and his anger at not being recognized for the incredibly talented wizard he is juust ruined everything I liked about the best part of the series.

Spade: The Real Snake
19th July 09, 01:09 PM
Technically he had TWO dates.

Ah, cool. I'm super stoked to see it since it will be the first 3-D movie I have ever seen (how ever much of it is).

For that 15/20 mins alone it was worth the increased ticket price and every time we watch the movie at home the missus comments "it isn't that same without the 3-D".

Which, oddly enough, she comments during coitus......