PDA

View Full Version : Arturo Gatti DEAD - Wife Prime Suspect

OZZ
13th July 09, 10:31 AM
Man..what a drag. Gatti was one of my favorite fighters..although his best days were long ago.
Phrost has already put up a thread in BS..merge?
My question is this : if he was strangled by his wife - (apparently by her purse string - how's that for irony !) how strong was this bitch? Coroner's report confirmed he was drunk.. he must have been passed right out in order for this chick to strangle him to death. Police in Brazil have her in custody..
I gotta get his trilogy with Mickey Ward on disc...I wonder where he will be buried?He's from Montreal, but had lived in NJ or most of the past decade.
A warrior in the ring dies a death like that..? That just seems wrong.

Sun Wukong
13th July 09, 03:13 PM
Yeah, this is fucking crazy. Strangled while in a drunken stupor.

Spade: The Real Snake
13th July 09, 03:22 PM
OZZ, you know the old school fighters.

You remember the Batamweight or Featherweight fighter who was working in the live sex shows in Times Square that ended up dying and being buried in Potter's Field in NYC about 15 yrs. ago?

WarPhalange
13th July 09, 03:26 PM
There you go, conclusive evidence that boxing doesn't work on the streets.

Zendetta
13th July 09, 05:39 PM
lol, RBSD wins again?

WarPhalange
13th July 09, 05:56 PM
All you fuckers better start wearing purses whenever you go out on the street, just in case you need to strangle a bitch.

OZZ
14th July 09, 12:26 AM
OZZ, you know the old school fighters.

You remember the Batamweight or Featherweight fighter who was working in the live sex shows in Times Square that ended up dying and being buried in Potter's Field in NYC about 15 yrs. ago?

No, who was that?

14th July 09, 08:49 AM
No, who was that?
LOL
I can't remember.
That's why I was asking you.

All I can recall is he was Puerto Rican.

Dark Helmet
14th July 09, 09:27 AM
Stereotype much?

14th July 09, 01:50 PM
Stereotype much?

What are you?
TELL ME YOUR ETHNICITY<!>

Dark Helmet
15th July 09, 10:13 AM
Ban pleaze! Wants to know my ethnicity so he can properly oppress me.

15th July 09, 10:15 AM
Ban pleaze! Wants to know my ethnicity so he can properly oppress me.
I oppress all men equally.

OZZ
19th July 09, 06:24 PM
Apparently, the late Arturo Gatti's Wife , Amanda rodrigues( an extremely high maintenance ex -stripper - incidentally) is still proclaiming her innocence and thinks she will be released and found not guilty..

The two also had a ten month old son together who is the care of the Rodrigues family.

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Arturo Gatti's wife, accused of strangling the champion boxer with her purse strap, proclaims her innocence and love for her dead husband in a letter given to The Associated Press on Wednesday.

While declining to be interviewed from her jail cell in the northeastern Brazilian city of Recife, Amanda Rodrigues did hand over a letter written on white, lined paper and penned in red ink.

"This is a pain that has become inexplicable and intolerable, this loss and this malicious accusation," Rodrigues wrote. "I lost my husband!"

The 23-year-old Rodrigues told investigators she awoke on Saturday about 6 a.m. to find her husband's body in the apartment they rented in Porto de Galinhas, a seaside resort in Pernambuco state.

She then called police.

However, investigators said she was the only suspect and they are certain she killed Gatti in the apartment where they and their 10-month-old son arrived for a second honeymoon last week. The boy was unhurt and was in the care of Rodrigues' family.

"I'm innocent and I know that this will be proven in a few days," Rodrigues wrote.

But those who knew Gatti and Rodrigues in the U.S. and Canada have said their relationship was rocky at best.

"She was yelling all the time, they were always fighting and she'd say 'I'm going to kill you!' when they fought," Gatti's mother, Ida, told the AP by phone from the family home in Montreal.

According to records at the Court of Quebec's criminal and penal division, Gatti was charged on April 16 for violating a restraining order that had been filed against him.

The records didn't indicate who filed the restraining order, but Gatti's mother confirmed that it was Rodrigues who had taken one out against him. She offered no other details.

Gatti's stepfather, Geraldo DiFrancesco, said the pair fought, but that he "was surprised" it went as far as Gatti's death. "You can never expect something like that to happen."

Chuck Zito, an actor and friend of Gatti who met the boxer 13 years ago and accompanied him to the ring for several of his most notable fights, said he knew the couple was having problems.

"Things were real rocky. They were rocky between them from the beginning," Zito said. "He said they were probably going to get a divorce."

Zito said Gatti met his wife at the strip club Scores in New York and that Gatti's friends tried to talk him out of marrying her.

Rodrigues, however, batted away the criticism in her letter.

"The people most important to my life, who know us, know the size of our love," she wrote. "What hurts me is knowing the suffering of my family and friends. What hurts me is to know that my husband will not be in my house waiting for my return."

An autopsy report on Gatti was due to be released within days.

Investigators said they had no new information to share, but remained steadfast in their theory that Rodrigues acted alone -- and that the alleged murder may have been premeditated, saying she may have encouraged him to drink excessively so she could overpower him later.

Police spokeswoman Milena Saraiva said Gatti was very drunk -- to the point of being incapacitated.

Rodrigues' lawyer, Celio Avelino, on Tuesday petitioned a court for her release pending the result of the investigation, but he said no action had been taken on the request as of late Wednesday.

Gatti's body was released to his brother on Tuesday and was in the process of being flown back to Montreal, where a funeral was expected to take place on Monday.

"It doesn't feel real yet," DiFrancesco said of Gatti's death. "I think it will feel real when we see the body."

In her letter, Rodrigues remained optimistic, writing to her son: "Junior -- soon mama will be at home!"

OZZ
19th July 09, 06:31 PM
Maybe Gatti's wife is innocent after all..
A new coroner's report is suggesting he may have committed suicide.

SAO PAULO (AP)—An autopsy indicates former boxing champion Arturo Gatti may have committed suicide, been accidentally killed or murdered, according to a Brazilian newspaper that said it obtained a copy of the coroner’s initial findings.

Police have said they are certain Gatti’s 23-year-old wife strangled the boxer with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept July 11, but the autopsy report raises some doubts.

Gatti was found dead in the apartment he was renting with wife Amanda Rodrigues in the Brazilian seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas in the northeastern state of Pernambuco.

In the state capital of Recife, the Jornal do Comercio newspaper reported Saturday that the autopsy findings it obtained stated Gatti’s body was “suspended and hanged, indicating he may have committed suicide.”

The autopsy report, according to the newspaper, also said that “murder or accidental death” could not be ruled out. There was no explanation for “accidental death.”

Paula Cysneiros, the spokeswoman for the medical examiners office that performed the autopsy, would not confirm the newspaper’s report.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police arrested Rodrigues on suspicion of murdering the former two-division champion. She maintains her innocence and is being held in a prison in Recife. She has not been charged—according to Brazilian law, police have until this Wednesday to hand over their findings to prosecutors, who will decide if charges are to be filed.

A visitation for Gatti is scheduled for Sunday at Maison Funeraire Magnus Poirier in his adopted hometown of Montreal, with a funeral on Monday at Notre Dame De La Defense.

Rodrigues told investigators she awoke July 11 and found her husband’s body about 9 a.m. She then called police.

Investigators said she was the only suspect and they are certain she killed Gatti in the apartment where they and their 10-month-old son arrived for a second honeymoon. The boy was unhurt and was in the care of Rodrigues’ family.

Investigators said there was no sign of forced entry and that the electronic locks on the apartment indicated only Gatti and his wife had entered it.

Police said Gatti had marks on his throat, indicating he was strangled.

Rodrigues’ sister, Flavia, told the newspaper Folha de S. Paulo earlier this week that there is “no way she could have strangled a man of that size.”

Rodrigues’ attorney, Celio Avelino, told The Associated Press that he agreed.

“She is fragile, young and skinny—how could she kill a boxing champion?” Avelino said. “When she awoke, she presumed he had committed suicide. But she had nothing to do with it.”

Police also said there was a knife wound in the back of Gatti’s head and displayed a small steak knife along with the bloodied, white purse strap—both found near his body.

Citing the results of the autopsy, the Jornal do Comercio newspaper said the wound “may have occurred when the body fell to the floor.”

Police have also said they think the crime scene had been altered before they arrived—indicating that Rodrigues could have tried to make it appear as if Gatti had committed suicide, police spokeswoman Milena Saraiva told the AP earlier this week.

Saraiva said the death may have been premeditated and Rodrigues may have encouraged Gatti to drink excessively so she would be able to overpower him later.

Rodrigues, in a letter given to the AP on Wednesday, said she didn’t commit the crime.

“I’m innocent and I know that this will be proven in a few days,” she wrote in the letter. She ended the note by addressing the couple’s infant son, writing: “Junior—soon mama will be at home!”

Associated Press Writer Bradley Brooks in Rio de Janeiro contributed to this report.

OZZ
30th July 09, 11:19 PM
The late Arturo Gatti's wife was released from custody today..
Police have ruled his death a suicide.But his family isn't convinced and may have his body exhumed for an independant autopsy.
Shit lot of good that will do...all they will be able to determine is that the cause of death was asphyxiation - just as the Brazilian authorities did. It was the INVESTIGATION ( and I use that term loosely) that gave the police the go ahead to rule it a suicide.
This isn't adding up..
Here's the latest article :
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Canadian boxer Arturo Gatti's death was ruled a suicide by police Thursday and his wife, once suspected of killing the former champion, was released from jail.

Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press authorities decided Gatti killed himself on July 11 while at a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.

When asked if police had determined the case was a suicide, Alberes said "yes." He offered no other details, though a judge -- in ordering the release of Gatti's wife -- cited the police investigation and wrote that "the victim took his own life, committing suicide by hanging."

Family and friends expressed disbelief that Gatti could have killed himself. His brother Joseph, speaking before a memorial Mass in northern New Jersey, said the family may try to have the body exhumed for an autopsy in Montreal.

But the boxer's wife, 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues, said in a phone interview as she walked out of jail she thinks Gatti may have killed himself because he was afraid she was going to leave him after the pair had a violent disagreement in public the night before his death.

"We had an argument in the street. Then he pushed me and I hurt myself. I believe that when we got home and he saw that he hurt me, he thought I would leave him, that I would tell him to just let me go, that I would separate from him," Rodrigues said. "He did that in a moment of weakness. He was drunk, maybe he didn't know what he was doing, maybe he thought I would leave him the next day."

A day after the 37-year-old Gatti was found dead, police said Rodrigues had strangled him with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.

But police began to back off the accusation about a week later after a coroner's report said Gatti may have killed himself as he was found "suspended and hanged." The autopsy report didn't exclude the possibility he was slain, but said he also could have died in an unexplained accident, or could have committed suicide.

"The police investigation concluded that Arturo killed himself," said Celio Avelino, Rodrigues' lawyer. "I've said before it would have been impossible for her to suspend and hang a man of that size."

Judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima ordered the immediate release of Rodrigues after receiving the police report. The judge wrote that police informed the court "the detention of the suspect was no longer needed" as the investigation "excludes the possibility of murder."

Rodrigues said her priority was to see the 10-month-old son she had with Gatti, grieve for her husband and clear her name in the case -- though some of Gatti's friends said they still suspect her.

"All of my plans and dreams involved Arturo. I haven't been able to think of anything beyond that," she said. "My plan now is to stay with my son, my father, mom and sister, nothing more than this."

Gatti's body was discovered in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the resort town of Porto de Galinhas. The pair had arrived there a few days before for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues' family in Brazil.

Those close to Gatti in his adopted hometown of Montreal denied he could have killed himself.

"As far as believing that he committed suicide -- honestly it's impossible," Ivano Scarpa, a close friend of Gatti's for the last 25 years, said Thursday.

"I can't believe that at all."

Scarpa said Gatti's family hired a private investigator and a lawyer last week to look into the case in Brazil. They hope to get some answers within a week.

Bernard Barre, Gatti's former trainer and a family friend, described the fighter as a man who had a lust for life.

"He always had a smile on his face," Barre said Thursday.

"I'm extremely surprised -- it's shocking. I can't accept this conclusion."

Barre also questioned the work of authorities in Brazil.

"I had confidence in them until today," he said.

From the accounts of others close to Gatti, his marriage with Rodrigues was tumultuous.

"She was yelling all the time, they were always fighting and she'd say 'I'm going to kill you!' when they fought," Gatti's mother, Ida, said from Montreal shortly after her son's death.

According to records at the Court of Quebec's criminal and penal division, Gatti was charged on April 16 for violating a restraining order that had been filed against him. The records didn't indicate who filed the restraining order, but Gatti's mother confirmed it was Rodrigues who had taken one out against him. She offered no other details.

Rodrigues stressed her innocence and defended her relationship with Gatti.

"There is no one who can doubt my love for Arturo or his for me. Arturo got married at 34 years of age, he was never married before, and this demonstrates the love that he had for me," Rodrigues said. "I was the only the wife of Arturo and I want my good name back. Not only just for me, but out of respect for my husband and my son."

Gatti, who captured two world titles in his 16-year pro career, retired in 2007 with a record of 40-9.

SoulMechanic
31st July 09, 03:55 PM
Is this the face of a killer?
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn392/dubrunner/Amanda-Rodrigues-Gatti-Photo.jpg

31st July 09, 04:20 PM
http://guanabee.com/?p=47952

Cullion
31st July 09, 05:36 PM
Is this the face of a killer?
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn392/dubrunner/Amanda-Rodrigues-Gatti-Photo.jpg

Heavens above. Who is she?

SoulMechanic
3rd August 09, 05:22 AM
That is the Late Gotti's widow. Half Latina, half Pakistani. What a combo or what mate?

Cullion
3rd August 09, 06:06 PM
he died, so that the rest of us could live. a-men.

OZZ
4th August 09, 03:59 PM
Here's the latest...
Nex coroner's report states that there was bruising to the body and other 'elemnts 'the Brazilian coroners failed to make note of.
Fishy, fishy, fishy...I still think that bitch paid someone to help her kill him.

Text Size
MONTREAL -- Bruising on the body of slain fighter Arturo Gatti was overlooked by the Brazilian authorities who conducted the initial autopsy, a celebrity pathologist hired by the ex-boxing champ's family said Saturday after a seven-hour forensic follow-up.

"There were some surprises," Dr. Michael Baden said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"The first surprise was that it was a partial autopsy, and not a full autopsy; the second was that there were some important findings, like the injuries that had not been identified."

Brazilian authorities said earlier this week that Gatti had committed suicide at a resort in the northeastern part of the country on July 11. His 23-year-old Brazilian wife, Amanda Rodrigues, was released Friday after being held for nearly three weeks on suspicion of murder.

Partial autopsies are unusual in suspected homicides, said Baden, who described the overlooked injuries as bruises that weren't cited in the initial forensic report.

Baden, who assisted in the autopsy at the family's request, said the Montreal medical examiners will perform further toxicology tests in Canada and are also awaiting more information on the scene of death from investigators in Brazil.

"There were definite injuries that had not been seen by Brazilian authorities," Baden said.

"But one needs all of the information -- including the toxicology, which is not available yet -- to be able to come to the conclusion as to whether it's homicide or suicide."

Second autopsies often take longer than the first but have the advantage of fresh information, he added. "We had a better idea of what to look for because of the issues that have been raised."

Baden will continue to share information with the Montreal medical examiners overseeing the latest investigation into Gatti'sdeath.

The two Canadian pathologists, described by Baden as "first-rate," will evaluate the additional information before releasing a report on the ex-boxer's death in the coming weeks.

Baden, a U.S. pathologist, is no stranger to high-profile cases. He's the host of the HBO cable TV show "Autopsy," a popular documentary series investigating mysterious and controversial deaths.

Baden has also testified for the defence or prosecution in a number of celebrity cases, including the criminal trials of O.J. Simpson and Phil Spector. He recently performed the second autopsy on the late Hollywood actor David Carradine.

Brazilian police said Friday that Gatti hanged himself with a bag strap that he tied around a wooden staircase column more than two metres off the ground, looping it around his neck before stepping off a stool.

That conclusion was rejected by Gatti's friends and family, who asked a Quebec coroner to exhume the body, which was buried July 20 in Montreal.

Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon said the government also formally asked Brazilian authorities for more information on the investigation into Gatti's death.

Gatti, a Montreal native who held two world titles in his 16-year pro career, retired in 2007 with a record of 40-9.

Ajamil
5th August 09, 02:44 PM
Sweet as the face is, she possibly killed a 40-9 ex-boxer. That, my friends, is a man-eater.

OZZ
13th August 09, 10:22 AM
It seems Gatti's Wife is going to be a rich woman..

MONTREAL -- Arturo Gatti's will was changed just three weeks before the ex-boxing champ died, his brother Fabrizio confirmed Sunday.

"It's the truth," he said when asked during a brief phone call for confirmation of reports the former fighter had bequeathed everything to his wife, Amanda Rodrigues.

Family friend and sports journalist Jeremy Filosa told The Canadian Press that on June 17, Gatti and Rodrigues changed the ex-boxer's will, leaving his full inheritance in her name.

"Everything that Arturo Gatti owns -- past, present and future -- goes to his wife. Nothing goes to his children or mother or brothers or sisters," said Filosa.

Gatti's widow was also named executor of his will and stands to receive $1 million from a life insurance policy, Filosa said, adding the family was made aware of the changes on Friday.

Brazilian police said Friday that Gatti's death was being ruled a suicide -- a conclusion rejected by Gatti's friends and family, who asked a Quebec coroner to re-examine the body, buried July 20 in Montreal.

Rodrigues was released Friday after having been held for nearly three weeks in a Brazilian jail on suspicion of murder.

Ajamil
13th August 09, 10:54 AM
Wow. That's...suspicious.