PDA

View Full Version : Who would you want back?

Japuma
13th July 09, 07:41 AM
If you could go back in time and prevent one musical legends death, who would it be and why?

I'd save John Lennon. To me Lennon had the most means to change music forever had he not been killed. Also, I think the Beatles would of reconnected at some point had he been around.

I know i'm missing a lot of people from list (Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Buddy Holly, ect. ect.) but the poll only allows 10 choices, so bite me.

OZZ
13th July 09, 10:18 AM
Hendrix - without a doubt. If he could have lived a few more years and got the partying out of his system, his playing would have returned to what it was in his early years and eventually surpassed even his level of talent through playing with other greats and continuing to inovate.
Died far too young..and he could STILL be making music. Damn shame..

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th July 09, 10:40 AM
his playing would have returned to what it was in his early years

So he would have gotten worse?

Ajamil
13th July 09, 11:15 AM
None. The universe is on a tight plan, and to mess with even a single musician would rip apart space-time and unravel existence itself.

Seriously, looking at that list, I can't imagine wanting any of them back that much. Are you saying any of their lives went unfinished? That they aren't greats? Why do you want more from them? Others will come - more greats, more virtuosos, and while I think due to the relative "speeding up" of the world, there will never be a mania for them as great as Elvis or the Beatles that doesn't mean we should pine for the past and ignore the present.

Spade: The Real Snake
13th July 09, 11:16 AM
I would want the correct spelling of "Cobain" back......

Kiko
13th July 09, 11:27 AM
And you made one of the ten MJ? Bleh!

I'm gonna have to agree with Arjuna on this... the results would be...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/funny-pictures-cat-upsets-your-gravity.jpg

Japuma
13th July 09, 11:37 AM
I would want the correct spelling of "Cobain" back......

Yeah, that's unfortunate...

mrblackmagic
13th July 09, 01:48 PM
I want Jim Morrison back just so I can see him fat, sober, and old on stage singing "Not to Touch the Earth" with 1/64 of the gusto he had at his "peak."

jnp
13th July 09, 02:24 PM
For me, it's a toss up between John Lennon, my musical hero, and Jimi Hendrix, a musical god among men.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard about Lennon's death. I also remember how much I overreacted.

jvjim
13th July 09, 02:28 PM
Hank Williams, everyone on that list (except Otis Redding) is meh.

13th July 09, 02:38 PM
For me, it's a toss up between John Lennon, my musical hero, and Jimi Hendrix, a musical god among men.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard about Lennon's death. I also remember how much I overreacted.

I'm telling Austin you didn't vote for SRV.

ALL OF AUSTIN.

Tom Kagan
13th July 09, 02:39 PM
Are these people really missing?

FickleFingerOfFate
13th July 09, 02:42 PM
Are these people really missing?

Don't give away the surprise ending!

[/CIA]

WarPhalange
13th July 09, 03:33 PM
Mercury. Jimi is great and all, but there's no way he'd stay alive. He'd just OD some other time.

Mercury was part of an incredible band and I'm sure they would have been even more innovative as time went by.

bob
13th July 09, 03:47 PM
Bon Scott.

13th July 09, 03:56 PM
Buck Naked

Japuma
13th July 09, 04:12 PM
Mercury was my very very close second for being the greatest live rock singer ever...

Japuma
13th July 09, 04:13 PM
Bon Scott.

You're required to say that by Aussie law aren't you?

Dagon Akujin
13th July 09, 04:16 PM
Only the most awesome rock-star ever to have existed could create the not just one, but 3 of the most played sports songs in existence, to complete jock-homophobic crowds, and STILL look this gay:

http://www.dailyredundancy.com/images/freddie_mercury.jpg
http://img.pinknet.cz/queen/gallery/f42.jpg
http://www.haisentito.it/img/_freddy_mercury-movie.jpg
http://static.richardyoungonline.com/photos/9030_large.jpg
http://www.old.uni-bayreuth.de/departments/didaktikchemie/umat/quecksilber/mercury_freddie.jpg
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/-/Queen---Freddie-Mercury-Photograph-C10102043.jpeg

That's just how hard he rocked. Also, this:

3fpupBCL6TE

Cullion
13th July 09, 04:31 PM
Freddie Mercury was the real hard gay for sure, but musically, out of that selection, it would be Jimi.

WarPhalange
13th July 09, 04:37 PM
Only the most awesome rock-star ever to have existed could create the not just one, but 3 of the most played sports songs in existence, to complete jock-homophobic crowds, and STILL look this gay:

Brian May wrote We Will Rock You. Freddy wrote We are the Champions. I'm not sure what this 3rd song is, but if it's Another One Bites the Dust, then that was written by John Deacon.

That's the best thing about Queen. ALL 4 members wrote songs that turned out to be hits. They ALL knew their shit.

13th July 09, 04:43 PM
Brian May wrote We Will Rock You. Freddy wrote We are the Champions. I'm not sure what this 3rd song is, but if it's Another One Bites the Dust, then that was written by John Deacon.

That's the best thing about Queen. ALL 4 members wrote songs that turned out to be hits. They ALL knew their shit.

Radio GaGa.

Dagon Akujin
13th July 09, 04:48 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^That settles it. August needs to be Queen month.

13th July 09, 04:49 PM
I though we already had 3moose1 Month?

WarPhalange
13th July 09, 05:16 PM
Fuck him and his numbers. Queen kicks his ass. I swear to God I will come down on you like Thor beating his wife if one of you assholes pulls another "lol it's insect month hurr hurr!". Queen month, dammit!

13th July 09, 05:20 PM
Fuck him and his numbers. Queen kicks his ass. I swear to God I will come down on you like Thor beating his wife if one of you assholes pulls another "lol it's insect month hurr hurr!". Queen month, dammit!

Thor is ghey.
And is the wife.
To Baldar.

WarPhalange
13th July 09, 05:28 PM
Freddy was gay too, so that would work quite well with the month's theme.

Japuma
13th July 09, 06:45 PM
I'd second a Queen month, that would be awesome.

elipson
13th July 09, 07:16 PM
I have to go with Cobain. I'm a grunge guy at heart. But like freddie, you just KNOW kurt was gonna off himself some other time...

I would like to have seen how his band evolved, even though it would have messed up the creation of the Foo Fighters, one of my favs.

Second vote would have been Hendrix.

Not a bit beattles fan. And Queen.... mmmm no. Some good stuff, but no.

danno
13th July 09, 07:34 PM
definitely john lennon for me.

i also think jeff buckley should have been added to that list.

Ajamil
13th July 09, 07:43 PM
Are we not limited to the list? Can we ask for Mozart back? He died before his time, and that kind of musical talent could easily adapt to modern sounds.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th July 09, 07:50 PM
how can a deaf guy adapt to modern sounds

danno
13th July 09, 08:11 PM
Are we not limited to the list?

you think i give a damn about your rules?

ain't nobody gunna tell me how to live.

Ajamil
13th July 09, 08:26 PM
how can a deaf guy adapt to modern sounds

That was Beethoven. Mozart was the pompous lush who wrote his scores without rough drafts.

elipson
13th July 09, 09:57 PM
How can a deaf guy make music period???

I think if he can envision music in his head, he can adapt to what he can see, assuming we gave him written music.

Toby Christensen
13th July 09, 10:17 PM
But I've already used my story about my sister-in-law's Dad knowing Freddy Mercury, being offered sodomy, refusing and then getting angry when I went to throw his son!

Where will I get new material?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th July 09, 11:00 PM
How can a deaf guy make music period???

I think if he can envision music in his head, he can adapt to what he can see, assuming we gave him written music.

I don't know. I'd think you'd have to hear something like a Gsus 13 to truly appreciate when to use it. Beethoven, if he was completely deaf, was still just working in the confines of what he was familiar with.

TheLordHumungus
13th July 09, 11:41 PM
Randy Rhoades.

Knave
13th July 09, 11:57 PM
I command your very souls you unbelievers!

P1j-6vRykFs

WarPhalange
14th July 09, 01:23 AM
I don't know. I'd think you'd have to hear something like a Gsus 13 to truly appreciate when to use it. Beethoven, if he was completely deaf, was still just working in the confines of what he was familiar with.

Exactly. The only way to let him know how an electric guitar sounds like would be to electrocute his balls.

danno
14th July 09, 11:53 PM
looks like no one here wants to save jacko? i'm surprised.

Toby Christensen
14th July 09, 11:58 PM
Exactly. The only way to let him know how an electric guitar sounds like would be to electrocute his balls.

Give him a bionic ear. And electrocute that.

Ajamil
15th July 09, 01:15 AM
We have oscilloscopes now. I bet he could've used that somehow. I mean, he wrote his last piece by sawing the legs off his piano and pounding on the keys to feel the vibration in the floor. Or was that an urban myth?

danno
15th July 09, 01:23 AM
i heard he would put a pencil in his mouth and press it against the piano so he could actually hear it.

Ajamil
15th July 09, 01:27 AM
To google!

In Wiki we trust:

Beethoven used a special rod attached to the soundboard on a piano that he could bite—the vibrations would then transfer from the piano to his jaw to increase his perception of the sound. A large collection of his hearing aids such as special ear horns can be viewed at the Beethoven House Museum in Bonn, Germany.

Makes more sense anyway. Jaw is a good sound transmitter.

OZZ
15th July 09, 02:37 PM
So he would have gotten worse?

You know nothing..Hendrix rocks.

HappyOldGuy
15th July 09, 05:39 PM
I am pleasantly surprised how many other folks had a chance to have Freddy before he died. He was pretty amazing.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
15th July 09, 05:46 PM
You know nothing..Hendrix rocks.

Yes, but his playing from 69 and 70 is miles ahead of his playing from 67 or before.

Harpy
15th July 09, 05:50 PM

Details please.

I'd love to hear Billie Holiday sing live.

Arjuna - Beethoven > Mozart, but I would have been interested to see how his music evolved if he lived longer than a mere 35 years. Great technician in terms of his early compositions but it really was a life cut too short as I don't think he had peaked.

EuropIan
18th July 09, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry, I had no idea Otis redding dies so young so he gets my vote.

18th July 09, 02:42 PM
Who is the fa66ot that voted for Michael Jackson?

EDIT:

Oh, nevermind.