PDA

View Full Version : Mass Att.Gen Martha Coakley sues Feds over Defense of Marriage Act.

bobyclumsyninja
11th July 09, 05:56 AM
From

http://www.wbur.org/2009/07/09/doma-challenge

Damn and blast I was hoping they'd do this. I've quoted some, below, but the entire article's worth reading.

BOSTON — Massachusetts has filed a lawsuit challenging the federal government over the 1996 federal Defense of Marriage Act, DOMA, defining marriage as a legal union between one man and one woman. The lawsuit filed Wednesday by Attorney General Martha Coakley argues the act infringes on Massachusetts’ authority to define marriage for itself, and forces the state to treat same-sex couples differently.

Attorney General Coakley spoke with us about the suit.

Bob Oakes: Let me ask you first of all about the challenge. What are you challenging in DOMA? What is the top line in the state’s argument?

Martha Coakley: There’s really two. We are only challenging it, of course, as it applies to Massachusetts. We’ve had same-sex marriage for five years and we’ve now had an opportunity to see that what DOMA really requires in Massachusetts is a two-tiered level of, really, citizenship for people who are same-sex married couples.

The first argument is that we are a commonwealth, it puts additional administrative and cost burdens on us, because now we have to administer two systems. We have two sets of people who are married, one for purposes of state law and now another set of people for purposes of federal law.

The second is that it is really a violation of, you know, our state sovereignty that this is the one area where states have always been allowed to determine marital status. It has not been invaded by the federal government before and, frankly, this particular statute, which has no real rational basis and serves no purpose, really should be unconstitutional based upon that history of state and federal relationships......
http://www.wbur.org/2009/07/09/doma-challenge

Thoughts? Opinions?

Ajamil
11th July 09, 09:30 AM
I hope it gets stricken from federal law. Go Massachusetts!...I never realized how weird of a word Massachusetts is until now.

The evidence of frivolous spending and the lack of precedence for DOMA makes the chances of this succeeding much better.

Spade: The Real Snake
11th July 09, 09:38 AM
LOL @ Massachusetts

bobyclumsyninja
11th July 09, 03:52 PM
lol @ everywhere else

Knave
11th July 09, 04:08 PM
Greetings.

I can't believe people care about gay marriage when Obama is killing the economy, or something.

WarPhalange
11th July 09, 05:31 PM
I can't believe you care about Obama killing the economy when your knuckles have been rubbed down to the bone from dragging them so much.

Dark Helmet
11th July 09, 05:51 PM
I think...............well I hope he was joking.

mrblackmagic
13th July 09, 07:51 AM
How can gay marriage not be constitutional? Isn't every citizen entitled to equal protection under the law or something?

Personally, I don't give a shit, but what is "fair" should be fair.

kracker
13th July 09, 08:13 PM
Isn't every citizen entitled to equal protection under the law or something?

The way it works is that a gay dude is technically equal in so far as he has the same right to marry a woman as you or I do. As retarded as this is from a logical standpoint, from a legal/constitutional standpoint it unfortunately holds water. Gay marriage won't be legal until the fundies calm down about it. That being said there is certainly nothing unconstitutional about gay marriage, so as soon as the majority of legislators are filled with non-homophobes gay marriage will be legal.

taijiamn
13th July 09, 10:50 PM
How can gay marriage not be constitutional? Isn't every citizen entitled to equal protection under the law or something?

I think it'd have to be because of the traditional, I guess, definition of marriage, being between a man and a woman. As far as I know, anyone can get power of attorney that covers the same grounds as a marriage.

Dark Helmet
13th July 09, 10:50 PM
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7017/gaycruise.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/i/gaycruise.jpg/)