PDA

View Full Version : Chicken cacciatore

Blue Negation
9th July 09, 04:35 PM
I've been cooking this frequently lately, and am looking for tips on improving it from the foodsters (noob amateur here). I enjoy it because it requires little preparation or maintenance and it fits nicely into the silly diet my girlfriend is following. Also,
1)I realize this probably isn't the authentic way of doing it (hence, tips plz)
2)I would love any tips for similar dishes that also don't have foods with high glycemic indices

My recipe:
(to serve 2)
2 medium chicken breasts
1/2 of 1 large red onion, cut into strips
4 cloves of garlic , sliced
1 pepper - green, orange, or red, cut into strips
1 can diced tomatoes or 2-3 diced plum tomatos + little water
~3/4 cup dry white wine (red works if you don't mind discoloration of the chicken)
oregano
fresh cracked black pepper
salt
2-3 tbspns olive oil

Pre-season chicken with salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat large pan with olive oil to medium-high heat. Sear chicken on all sides until entire outside is cooked. Remove, set on separate plate.

If needed, add small amount additional olive oil - then cook onion, garlic, and peppers in the chicken fat/oil until peppers are beginning to go soft and the onion and garlic is translucent: 2-3 minutes.

Deglaze with wine. Place chicken back into pan. Pour diced tomatos over chicken. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir pan with wooden spoon to ensure even distribution. Bring pan to boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Easy, simple, and so far I'm liking its relative cheapness on my college kid's budget. Any suggestions, comments?

Quikfeet509
9th July 09, 04:45 PM
Ah...close enough:

EU2W-C8Mo30

Cullion
9th July 09, 05:13 PM
Look in a paleo diet cookbook for good low gi meat dishes.

Here's a variation on a french classic that's basically made low-gi by leaving the potatoes out. It's a slow-cooking meal but very simple. You really just put everything in the pot and let it cook slow 2 hours.

Pot au Poulet

1 corn-fed chicken
3 leeks, pale part only, cut large
3 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces

2 thyme sprigs,
10 parsley stalks,
1 fresh bay leaf
Mushrooms (if you an get hold of some interesting wild mushrooms safely, the better)
3 garlic cloves, cut in half
The heart of a romaine lettuce.
inside young leaves and stem of a celery
2 cups white wine
2 litres of chicken stock (Knorr stock cubes are the best I've come across if you don't have time to fuck around making stock from a chicken carcass in advance)
sea salt
1 tsp peppercorns

If she's allowed any carbs at all, serve this with the roughest, most natural whole grain bread you can get hold of.

Blue Negation
10th July 09, 02:16 PM
Thanks. Definitely going to try the pot au poulet. Does the chicken go in whole+uncooked? Looks like it but just checking.

Kein Haar
10th July 09, 05:53 PM
Hunter Cacciatore.

Cullion
10th July 09, 06:05 PM
Thanks. Definitely going to try the pot au poulet. Does the chicken go in whole+uncooked? Looks like it but just checking.

Yup, it really can go 'everything in the pot as it is'.

If you want to brown it, use a grill on very high heat and the chicken's own fat and keep turning it. Don't add nothing.

Cullion
10th July 09, 06:09 PM
Sorry, I forgot to give the portions for that meal. For main meal of the day, you could get 3 adult portions from that assumming it's paleo, if you pad it out with more bread/rice/starch, then it depends how big the chicken is and it's up to you basically.

Remember, there's no big stomach bloating starchy end-of-level boss there. It's just chicken and natural vegetable flavours.

Zendetta
10th July 09, 06:18 PM
That sounds killer, C.

I want to get a big cast iron dutch oven for slow-cookiing stuff like that.

Cullion
10th July 09, 06:36 PM
You don't need fancy accessories for that kind of food. A pot on a normal home stove is fine. This is french country cooking. It's not about accessories. It's something any broke-ass dude can make at home as long as he cares about fresh honest food.

The classic version just has some peeled small potatoes and a bit less carrot and turnip. You could maybe sneak a bit of bacon in to fry for the first few minutes to flavour it up, but that's up to you man.

Zendetta
10th July 09, 06:54 PM
Oh, I know. But a dutch oven would allow me to cook that stuff over a campfire. And that would be fucking sweet.

Cullion
10th July 09, 06:58 PM
Fair play, but I just want to interject that super-slow cooking over a campfire might not work out right because when you're cooking like that you've just hiked a damn long way, you know ?

Quick pot recipes with wild game sound like the way forward there. Rabit and mustard seeds, wild garlic and veggies stolen from a farmers' field, you know ?

Cullion
10th July 09, 06:59 PM
I think you need mustard rabbit and wild turnips for that shit. I've made up my mind. We're talking Lord of the Rings now, ok?

Zendetta
10th July 09, 07:09 PM
No prob, Boromir, that sounds great. Let's just make sure the hobbits carry the cooking pot.

Me and my crew are scheming for hunting wild/feral pigs. California has a shitload of them - hybrids of escaped pigs, bred with Russian Boars escaped from a 19th century hutning preserve. They are so common, invasive, and destructive that they are considered "varmints" - niusance animals that can be hunted anytime.

Most of the accesible ones are on private land though, so I've got some networking to do. But I am really looking forward to serving my friends some roast wild pork. Or homemade prosciutto!

Cullion
10th July 09, 07:14 PM
Pigs mustn't go in the pot. Wild pig is for barbecue I think if you listen to your inner voice, you will agree.

Cullion
10th July 09, 07:15 PM
Wild garlic, some kind of ginger or chili, and honey. Then grill wild. Not drop in hot water. This is what my instincts say.

Cullion
10th July 09, 07:16 PM
Sorry, it;s time I want to sleep. G;night.

Zendetta
10th July 09, 07:16 PM
Agreed, but I have seen a good recipe for braised wild pork that sounds great too.

I'm especially fond of roasted doves' breasts - I think i've posted that recipe before.

Zendetta
10th July 09, 07:17 PM
Sweet dream, plenty of water.