PDA

View Full Version : Hacky sack? Pffft, Sepak takraw: you haven't seen anything...

Steve
7th July 09, 01:54 AM
I love volley ball and I've always admired soccer players but I just didn't know... I didn't know...

Sepak takraw (Thai: "kick"; Thai: ตะกร้อ "takraw"; Lao: ກະຕໍ້ "ka-taw"; Filipino: "sipa") [1] or kick volleyball is a sport native to Southeast Asia, resembling volleyball, except that it uses a rattan ball and only allows players to use their feet, knee, chest and head to touch the ball. It is a popular sport in Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos, Philippines and Indonesia.

In Thailand, the game is simply called takraw. It is also thuck thay (Lao: "twine" and "kick")[1] while in Malaysia it is sometimes called sepak raga. In the Philippines it is known as sipa, meaning "kick". In Australia it is known as "footnis", presumably a portmanteau of football and tennis.

Similar games include footbag net, footvolley, Bossaball, jianzi and sipa.

OYb_9v6NQ6w

-CP6ykzsK0M

I guess I've been living under a rock or something, I wish I still were, this shit is AWESOME.

Still, in Australia it is known as "footnis," any comments from those that are local?

bob
7th July 09, 06:40 AM
They play this a lot in Southeast Asia. I've only ever seen the backyard dustbowl version though.

Shawarma
7th July 09, 06:41 AM
I saw this about 15 years ago in Africa. Odd that it's becoming mainstream all of a sudden.

partyboy
7th July 09, 08:13 AM
Hakey sack? Pffft, Sepak takraw: you haven't seen anything...

"you do the hakey pakey and you turn yourself around..."

that's what it's all about :)

partyboy
7th July 09, 08:15 AM
and I'm guessing neck injuries and pulled groin muscles run rampant in this sport?

socratic
7th July 09, 08:31 AM
Never seen this played outside of youtube, not really a thing here at all as far as I know. No one I know has heard of it.

Steve
7th July 09, 09:31 AM
"you do the hakey pakey and you turn yourself around..."

that's what it's all about :)

Smart arse.

Dagon Akujin
7th July 09, 12:45 PM
So.... what you're saying is that TKD and XMA are good for something?

Steve
7th July 09, 01:01 PM
point to Dagon.

Harpy
7th July 09, 06:49 PM
I guess I've been living under a rock or something, I wish I still were, this shit is AWESOME.

You've been living in Seattle, same thing.