PDA

View Full Version : BRB, "national campaign"

Ajamil
5th July 09, 10:30 AM
Sarah Palin has resigned from her position of Governor of Alaska. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090704/ap_on_re_us/us_palin_resigning)

JUNEAU, Alaska Outgoing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Saturday laid the groundwork to take on a larger, national role after leaving state government, citing a "higher calling" with the aim of uniting the country along conservative lines.
A day after surprising even her closest friends by announcing she would step down as Alaska governor more than a year before her term was up, the controversial hockey mom was still keeping details of her future plans under wrap. But in a statement posted on Palin's Facebook account, she suggested that she had bigger plans and a national agenda she planned to push after she resigns at the end of the month.
"I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint," she said.
Palin also cast herself as a victim and blasted the media, calling the response to her announcement "predictable" and out of touch.
"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it's about country," the statement said. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make."
Palin's personal spokeswoman, Meghan Stapleton, confirmed to The Associated Press that the Facebook posting was written by the governor.
The abruptness of her announcement and the mystery surrounding her plans has fed widespread speculation. But Palin attorney Thomas Van Flein on Saturday warned legal action may be taken against bloggers and publications that reprint what he calls fraudulent claims.
"To the extent several websites, most notably liberal Alaska blogger Shannyn Moore, are now claiming as 'fact' that Governor Palin resigned because she is 'under federal investigation' for embezzlement or other criminal wrongdoing, we will be exploring legal options this week to address such defamation," Van Flein said in a statement. "This is to provide notice to Ms. Moore, and those who re-publish the defamation, such as Huffington Post, MSNBC, the New York Times and The Washington Post, that the Palins will not allow them to propagate defamatory material without answering to this in a court of law."
Palin has kept a low profile since her abrupt announcement Friday at a hastily called news conference at her home in suburban Wasilla, outside Anchorage. All of her public communication since then has been on the social networking sites Facebook and Twitter, or through statements released by her office.
At the same time, Palin informed Murrow early Saturday that someone using the name "exgovsarahpalin" on Twitter was spreading a false rumor that there was to be a party at her suburban home in Wasilla, outside Anchorage. Palin was afraid her home would be mobbed, and security was dispatched, Murrow said.
With only a few weeks before she steps down on July 26, and Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell takes her place, the governor spent the Fourth of July weekend in the state capital, Juneau, but was only spotted briefly on the sidelines of the city's parade.
She had been invited to ride in a convertible, as she did last year, but never told organizers whether she would attend.
Juneau parade director Jean Sztuk said officials drew up banners in case Palin showed and was willing to take part.
As the last of the parade's clowns and marching bands headed past her, Sztuk gave up on Palin. "What governor wants to be at the end of the parade?" she asked.
Her low-profile and vague Internet messages left mounting questions about her plans for the future shrouded in mystery. Will she lay the groundwork for a 2012 presidential bid? Will she find a high-profile place in the private sector, maybe on the speech circuit? Will she drop out of the limelight and focus on her five children?
Her constituents, for one, wanted to know, especially in Juneau, where she has struggled to win over residents.
"I think she owes it to Alaskans to tell us why," said state Sen. Dennis Egan, D-Juneau, the son of Alaska's first governor, Bill Egan.
Egan, hosting a 50th anniversary statehood ceremony, said he was disappointed Palin decided not to finish out her term, which was scheduled to end in 2010.
"It's sad she abandoned us at this critical time," said Egan, who was appointed by Palin to an open seat on the last day of the legislative session in April, after a protracted battle with Senate Democrats.
Palin's departure can't come soon enough for Laurel Carlton, a waitress at the Capital Cafe in the Baranof Hotel, where the city's political movers and shakers meet every morning before walking a few blocks to the Capitol.
"I think she has a game plan that's not Alaska, and hasn't been for awhile," Carlton said.
She noted Palin has a book deal, and seems headed for the national stage.
"If you're really not going to stay and do your job every day, you should leave anyway, and so the sooner the better so somebody can step in and actually do the job," Carlton said.
And as far as Carlton is concerned, Palin doesn't need to explain why she's leaving.
"We don't care. We just want her gone," she said.
Palin, whose popularity in Alaska has waned amid ongoing ethics investigations, gave many reasons for stepping down: She didn't want to be a lame-duck governor; she was tired of the tasteless jokes aimed at her five children, including her son Trig, who has Down syndrome; she felt she could do more in another, still-to-be-defined role.
McCain didn't rule out a return to politics for his former running mate, saying Saturday he believes "she will continue to play an important leadership role in the Republican Party and our nation." He gave no other details.
Even Parnell, who plans to run for re-election after finishing out Palin's term, said he was shocked at first when he learned of his boss' decision.
"But then as she began to articulate her reasons, I began to understand better," he said. "And nobody unless they've been in her position and understood what she has gone through and dealt with and who she is as a person really understands."

tl;dr: Leaves office a year before her term is up. Republican strategists are confused, Alaskan residents have mixed feelings (except for that one lady, she's quite pure in her feelings). Palin's answer for why was, "She didn't want to be a lame-duck governor; she was tired of the tasteless jokes aimed at her five children, including her son Trig, who has Down syndrome; she felt she could do more in another, still-to-be-defined role."

How did she get to this position? Is she really that charismatic to the Republican party? Is she striking some chord with Americans that I don't have programmed in? The biggest thing I think of when it comes to Sarah Palin is the buckling under the presure of an interview (she couldn't name which weekly periodicals she reads - she couldn't even think of one to lie about off the top of her head), and the crass way the McCain campaign seemed to tout her as some sort of Republican answer to Hillary Clinton. "We gots ourselves some wimmenz too! She's easy to mock on SNL, vote for us!" When I heard she was resigning, my first thought was she has been laughed out of politics.

Still, perhaps I am being unfair and prejudiced due to the media I imbibe. Perhaps she will rise again in the 2012 elections, and I'll be pleasantly surprised to hear a well thought out, conservative platform from her.

Dark Helmet
5th July 09, 11:12 AM
It's pretty clear she's got the idea of being President stuck in her brain now.

Could she be pregnant again?

6kaHuQdTJ5A

elipson
5th July 09, 11:17 AM
I am going to love watching her run for the republican nomination. That shit is going to be hilarious.

Cullion
5th July 09, 11:36 AM
I can picture her as a kind of Tina Turner-esque post apocalyptic president in 2013.

Lebell
5th July 09, 11:49 AM
i bet she likes anal.

she has that whole anal vibe going, know what im saying?

Dark Helmet
5th July 09, 11:59 AM
I am going to love watching her run for the republican nomination. That shit is going to be hilarious.
Are you going to be LOLing when she leads the party in 2012?

Dagon Akujin
5th July 09, 12:17 PM
The big Republican staff member at my school last year, with McCain and Family bumper stickers on his car, ended up dropping his support for McCain after Palin got the nod. He said she was simply too stupid to lead the country. Despite all of his bumper stickers, he ended up voting for Obama.

^^^^^^^^So there's hope yet!

Truculent Sheep
5th July 09, 12:48 PM
Palin appeals to an American tradition of rustic simplicity which presumes that - aw shucks! - the world's problems would be resolved in days if some down-to-earth son of the soil without any of that fancy book-learning was in power.

Clinton and Lincoln could both arguably have benefited from their shit-shovelling roots in this regard, even though they were highly educated and indeed rich men before they entered the White House.

Bush II, however, was the greatest example of this, and oh how it succeeded. But of course, Bush was not as stupid nor anywhere near to being a dumb peasant as he appeared, whereas Palin is the real deal, at least through such a cretinous prism. This does of course mean there's a chance more than enough idiots will root for her.

Dagon Akujin
5th July 09, 12:55 PM
I love how right now there is an advertisement for the Sarah Palin political action committee at the top of the page. Keep spending your money, bitches!

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/imgad?id=CP-j_fCO5fCuBBDYBRhPMgiQKhy-x-uJxA

Kiko
5th July 09, 01:46 PM
The White House will turn into a WalMart if she gets there. This cannot happen.

Cullion
5th July 09, 03:43 PM
Palin appeals to an American tradition of rustic simplicity which presumes that - aw shucks! - the world's problems would be resolved in days if some down-to-earth son of the soil without any of that fancy book-learning was in power.

Clinton and Lincoln could both arguably have benefited from their shit-shovelling roots in this regard, even though they were highly educated and indeed rich men before they entered the White House.

Bush II, however, was the greatest example of this, and oh how it succeeded. But of course, Bush was not as stupid nor anywhere near to being a dumb peasant as he appeared, whereas Palin is the real deal, at least through such a cretinous prism. This does of course mean there's a chance more than enough idiots will root for her.

The difference between Palin and the pre-civil war 'log cabin' presidents is that those men were mostly enormously intelligent autodidacts who read every volume of difficult literature they could get their hands on and pulled themselves up by the bootstraps in intellectually demanding professions before entering politics. Lincoln practiced his letters by writing in charcoal on the back of a shovel during childhood, and basically taught himself enough law to pass the bar exam by borrowing law books. These men were mostly out of full time schooling by the age of 12 or 14.

I would vote for such men over the scented cream-puffs we elect in the UK in a heartbeat. I hope the American public learn to make the same distinction.

Palin does have some authentic frontier spirit and grit, but to be that badly educated when you grew up in an affluent late 20th century society with access to libraries, 14 years of free schooling in a range of subjects and went to university is just too obviously a sign of a dim, closed mind. There's just no excuse.

I totally agree with you about Bush. Well above average IQ as measured on Air Force National Guard entrance (just not a genius), coupled with the the childhood and ivy league education of the New England WASP elite pretending to be a son of the soil for electoral reasons.

HappyOldGuy
5th July 09, 03:56 PM
I can't imagine how resigning helps her.

Abandoning your only significant elected office to run for a bigger one is just not going to convince people to trust you with that promotion. Sure, she will have a certain segment supporting her, but only them. Sometimes good wins because evil is stupid.

Shawarma
5th July 09, 03:59 PM
She should get her own show on Fox. That would help her build the star power and reputation to stand against Obama in 2012.

HappyOldGuy
5th July 09, 04:09 PM
She should get her own show on Fox. That would help her build the star power and reputation to stand against Obama in 2012.

I think this is a very real possibility.

Cullion
5th July 09, 04:25 PM
Schwarzenegger and Palin vs. a tainted by failure to deliver Obama and the Wicked Witch of the East in 2012.

Truculent Sheep
5th July 09, 04:28 PM
Palin does have some authentic frontier spirit and grit, but to be that badly educated when you grew up in an affluent late 20th century society with access to libraries, 14 years of free schooling in a range of subjects and went to university is just too obviously a sign of a dim, closed mind. There's just no excuse.

It's the glorification of stupidity and mediocrity which makes Palin a threat. She appeals to that wing of the Republican party that's consuming the rest of the GOP in a firestorm of delirium, paranoia, tin foil hats and demagoguery. This might mean they won't get in for another decade. Or it could mean we end up with a real fucking liability in the White House.

Shawarma
5th July 09, 04:30 PM
Schwarzenegger can't become president. He could be VP, though.

WarPhalange
5th July 09, 04:32 PM
He can't be VP either, I think. If the Prez died, he'd be a non-American-born President, and to the Republicans, that would be anal rape of the worst kind, but to Amrka.

Which sucks, because that means there's no legal way for me to become President. I'll have to rely on a military coup.

Shawarma
5th July 09, 04:35 PM
Get colliding them particles then, physics boy, or your doomsday device for blackmailing the white house will never get done.

WarPhalange
5th July 09, 04:50 PM
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090213.gif

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1428#comic

Even better (one I hadn't seen before):

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090703.gif

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1566#comic

Lebell
5th July 09, 04:51 PM
if only the americans had me as their president.
i'd utterly crush all enemies.

oh yes and seize total power.

socratic
5th July 09, 06:33 PM
Schwarzenegger is smart enough to not run with Palin. He knows the prevailing winds and the sinking ships when he sees them. That's why he said "Four more years!" when Bush was coming for re-election yet hasn't said shit Bush-wise [or particularly many other repugs as far as I know] since.

The woman's just a waste of time, like so many other republicans. Sociopolitical conservatism is a boring and useless doctrine.

Ajamil
7th July 09, 01:58 PM
Well what if we cast Sly, then? He's been making a great comeback in directing.

Zendetta
7th July 09, 04:22 PM
Rumor is that Arnold is going to run for Senate.

alos, LOL PALIN!!!!

Dark Helmet
7th July 09, 04:50 PM
Does anyone remember the ciscumstances that got Arnie elected?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

HappyOldGuy
7th July 09, 05:11 PM
That is a fucking deluded wikipedia.

The california energy crisis was caused by a retarded deregulation scheme that set fixed prices for consumers but discouraged distributors from procuring long term contracts. Those fixed prices were put there by the utilities in order to guarantee them steady profits through the transitionary period. They represented a significant increase from the previous regulated rates. What fucked the utilities up was that the pricing scheme put in place for the spot energy market made it so that anyone with a decent amount of generation capacity could easily game the system and drive up the price by taking generation capacity offline.

It was also only one of many factors in arnies election. Gray Davis made a bunch of political missteps, but the recall is aways there as a nuclear option for either side in california politics. The most important thing to understand about arnies election is that it could never have happened in a regular election. He could never have won a republican primary in california.

Dark Helmet
7th July 09, 05:14 PM
That is a fucking deluded wikipedia.

The california energy crisis was caused by a retarded deregulation scheme that set fixed prices for consumers but discouraged distributors from procuring long term contracts. Those fixed prices were put there by the utilities in order to guarantee them steady profits through the transitionary period. They represented a significant increase from the previous regulated rates. What fucked the utilities up was that the pricing scheme put in place for the spot energy market made it so that anyone with a decent amount of generation capacity could easily game the system and drive up the price by taking generation capacity offline.I think that's whats said in the article.

HappyOldGuy
7th July 09, 05:19 PM
It misses the key bit that the fixed prices were a concession demanded by the utilities. It makes it sound like they were imposed by the state. That's a pretty important distinction. It also way overstates the role of state elected officials. The entire deal was worked out and presented as a total package by an appointed group of stakeholders.

edit: actually it mentions both in the body. It's just the intro that's fucked.

Dagon Akujin
7th July 09, 06:12 PM
It's hilarious listening to conservative talk-radio try to spin this whole thing.

Sean Hannity was blathering on about how "Obama did the same thing! Nobody had a problem with that!" Oh, really? He was saying that this was no different than when Obama left the senate. "And Obama lied and said he wouldn't leave the senate to run, but he did because he lies to people all the time about anything!"

Hannity then took calls and called all the Republicans who were upset giant liberals. One guy called in saying "We shouldn't do what Obama does, and that doesn't make it right for Palin to do it." To which Hannity replied, "You're a liberal!" before hanging up on the guy.

Is this really how Republicans get and keep listeners? WTF?

jvjim
7th July 09, 09:55 PM
I think Sarah Palin is attractive.

HappyOldGuy
7th July 09, 10:15 PM
I think Sarah Palin is attractive.

She's got a couple of good years left in her before she completely falls apart.

Unfortunately her kind of crazy is not the kind that involves fuck you till your dick breaks sex.

taijiamn
7th July 09, 11:25 PM
It's hilarious listening to conservative talk-radio try to spin this whole thing.

Sean Hannity was blathering on about how "Obama did the same thing! Nobody had a problem with that!" Oh, really? He was saying that this was no different than when Obama left the senate. "And Obama lied and said he wouldn't leave the senate to run, but he did because he lies to people all the time about anything!"

Hannity then took calls and called all the Republicans who were upset giant liberals. One guy called in saying "We shouldn't do what Obama does, and that doesn't make it right for Palin to do it." To which Hannity replied, "You're a liberal!" before hanging up on the guy.

Is this really how Republicans get and keep listeners? WTF?

Didn't Bush do it too as govenor of Texas?

HappyOldGuy
7th July 09, 11:49 PM
Didn't Bush do it too as govenor of Texas?

Bush resigned to take the presidency after winning the election. That's not at all unusual. Resigning to run isn't hugely unusual. But resigning three years ahead of time from the only job you've had that even vaguely qualifies you is pretty unheard of.

socratic
8th July 09, 05:48 AM
Bush resigned to take the presidency after winning the election. That's not at all unusual. Resigning to run isn't hugely unusual. But resigning three years ahead of time from the only job you've had that even vaguely qualifies you is pretty unheard of.

I spoke to a coworker from Cali, he reconed Carter dropped all his shit and went door knocking like 2 years in advance. I suppose Palin needs all the time she can get, but it seems like she's kinda fucking over her state. "What's that? You need a leader? Fuck ya, off to the white house for me!" That said Alaska isn't doing altogether as badly as the rest of the US, but still... The thing that really gets me is that she lost last time when she was only gonna be VP. The fuck hope does she have that she can beat Mr Charisma in the big leagues?

Robot Jesus
8th July 09, 01:14 PM
this isn't about 2012, this is about The View, 6-8 books, a spot on fox news and 2016.

then she probably could win it.

rw4th
8th July 09, 03:24 PM
I see Palin, the following goes through my brain:

1- I'd hit it
2- She's batshit insane
3- Panic that she might someday get elected
4- But damn, I'd hit it

socratic
8th July 09, 10:18 PM
Maybe I'm just way too young and heterosexual for this crowd so I don't understand the attraction. She's an old, ugly, crazy bitch and dicking her would like be trying to fuck an active blender full of ice.

Dark Helmet
8th July 09, 10:30 PM
How many times did Nixon run for Prez? 2 times. Then he invaded Cambodia.

WarPhalange
8th July 09, 10:39 PM
Well it's about time we slap those fuckers around some more, so they don't forget who's boss.

Dark Helmet
9th July 09, 04:19 PM
If history does repeat. There will be another Nixon(Palin) then you'll get another Gerald Ford(Alec Baldwin).

resolve
11th July 09, 12:05 AM
eXoO8aeM5-Y

Indeed, Dark Helmet, indeed....

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
15th July 09, 02:06 PM
MoveOn.org sent me this

Well, now we know why Sarah Palin is quitting as governor of Alaska.

In a Washington Post column, she just announced her new focus: killing our chance to build a clean energy economy, starting with the energy bill currently in Congress.1

Her op-ed is a marvel of misinformation and outright lies. Just like conservatives in Congress, Palin is trotting out the "energy taxes" scare tactic, and arguing instead for more drilling and more dirty coal. This bill already has too many giveaways to Big Coal and Big Oil, but it's still not enough for Palin.2

As ridiculous as Sarah Palin's lies are, they're getting attention, and they're a real threat to clean energy. If we can raise $125,000 today, we'll run a rapid response ad to counter these lies and stop Palin's attack. Click here to donate $25:

https://pol.moveon.org/donate/palin_energy.html?id=16582-9871494-1fLPzcx&t=3

This is the same Sarah Palin who doesn't believe climate change is caused by humans.3 The same Sarah Palin who is obsessed with drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. And the same Sarah Palin who's looking for controversial issues to launch a 2012 presidential bid.

Now she's positioning herself as the face of the conservative attack against clean energy, against the Clean Air Act—even against the creation of millions of new jobs in solar and wind.4

But wind and solar create more than twice as many jobs as coal and oil.5 Clean energy is the only way to make America's economy competitive in the 21st century.

The truth is we need a stronger energy bill in the Senate to combat our economic and climate crisis, but Sarah Palin's lies could sink our hopes for a clean energy economy. Click here to chip in $25 to fight back against Palin's false claims:

https://pol.moveon.org/donate/palin_energy.html?id=16582-9871494-1fLPzcx&t=4

Thank you for all you do.

–Anna, Eli, Noah, Carrie and the rest of the team

Sources:
1. "The 'Cap And Tax' Dead End," The Washington Post, July 14, 2009
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=51618&id=16582-9871494-1fLPzcx&t=5

2. "With Something for Everyone, Climate Bill Passed," The New York Times, June 30, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/01/us/politics/01climate.html

3. "Palin: Global Warming Not Man-Made," ABC News, August 29, 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=51619&id=16582-9871494-1fLPzcx&t=6

4. Memo on Clean Air Act authority, Pawa Law, July 2, 2009 [PDF]
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=51620&id=16582-9871494-1fLPzcx&t=7

5. "Green Recovery: A Program to Create Good Jobs and Start Building a Low-Carbon Economy," Political Economy Research Institute at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, September 2008
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=51621&id=16582-9871494-1fLPzcx&t=8

Dagon Akujin
16th July 09, 10:18 AM
^^^^^I'll be the first to say it: What a cunt.

socratic
16th July 09, 10:10 PM
^^^^^I'll be the first to say it: What a cunt.

Palin really has no fucking clue what she's doing.