PDA

View Full Version : Happy Canada Day!!

OZZ
1st July 09, 10:42 AM
Hello and happy Canada Day everyone..
It was raining all morning but looks like its going to clear. We had originally planned to go to the Toronto Jazz Festival today, but are postponing until next weekend so we can stay over night at my friend's house.
It sucks when Canada Day is in the middle of the week, because we burn for a long weekend. Doesn't look like we will do anything special today, just gardening. Tonight we are going to go see the new Johnny Depp/Christian Bale film - Public Enemies.
Every year at this time, polls suggest that we Canadians don't know our history..a lot of people cannot even recognize a picture of our first PM - John A. MacDonald -despite the fact he appears on our ten dollar bill.
Working as an academic myself, I admit that far too many of our youth don't have any sense of history and are largely ignorant about the events that contributed to the formation of our country. Sad, really..but as long as I am not one of the ignoramuses - fuck the rest of em'. Historian J. Granastein wrote a really good book called 'Who Killed Canadian History?' , and he points out some of the reasons - including the education system's failure to teach history properly - that many Canadians don't have any sense of themselves. Immigration rates are also part of the problem - as is our proximity to the USA - etc. etc.
We need to teach our kids about our the British and French legacies here in Canada and show them that the formation of a country this large and prosperous with relatively little bloodshed is an acomplishment that we should be proud of. It is relatively uniique in the founding of nations..usually there has to be a century or so of bloodshed - at least, along with a civil war or three. After the Battle of the Plains of Abraham - we had the Red River Rebellion and the War of 1812 - but the number of lives lost in all these events combined number less than a thousand. Hell, we even treated our Native brethren much nicer than the Yankees did.
So, if you are Canadian, take a minute to reflect today on guys like Sir Isaac Brock, General James Wolfe, Joseph Brant, Flying Ace Billy Bishop, or even Terry Fox and Wayne Gretzky - these are some of the people who put Canada on the map.
Can anyone name any others?

Ajamil
1st July 09, 11:28 AM
The US's largest tree farm doesn't have a history, just like a shed doesn't have a history.

Seriously though, I've never thought about how incredibly civil the history of Canada is. I also didn't know they took part in the war of 1812 (that is the same war, right? Were the Canadians doing their own thing somewhere?).

Also, since you brought it up, what happened to native tribes living in Canada? Do they thrive? Were they bred out? Was it a kinder, more polite ethnic cleansing?

Anyway, I'll add to the list of great Canadians with The Kids in the Hall - funniest sketch group since Monty Python.

Spade: The Real Snake
1st July 09, 12:59 PM
Didn't we already celebrate Arbor Day>?

Dark Helmet
1st July 09, 01:31 PM
Canada is the greatest country in the world.

Dark Helmet
1st July 09, 01:34 PM
Top Ten Reasons Canada is so great:

We have never had a Prime Minister Bush.

1st July 09, 02:03 PM
I planted a tree in honor of Canadian Day.
A TIMBERLAND IN YO ASS!

Zendetta
1st July 09, 04:11 PM
BLAME CANADA!!!

OZZ
1st July 09, 04:48 PM
The US's largest tree farm doesn't have a history, just like a shed doesn't have a history.

Seriously though, I've never thought about how incredibly civil the history of Canada is. I also didn't know they took part in the war of 1812 (that is the same war, right? Were the Canadians doing their own thing somewhere?).

Also, since you brought it up, what happened to native tribes living in Canada? Do they thrive? Were they bred out? Was it a kinder, more polite ethnic cleansing?

Anyway, I'll add to the list of great Canadians with The Kids in the Hall - funniest sketch group since Monty Python.

Well..as far as the Natives go. We didn't exterminate them and shove them off their land quite as agressively as the US Army did, but we gradually took the choice cuts of land through 'negotiations' - and they are in the process of getting a lot of it back through the courts right now!!
Truth be told, the various Native tribes in Canadian territory played a big part in the War of 1812 and we likely wouldn't have defeated the US if it were not for them.They were invaluable scouts and fighters. They also helped the British consolidate their hold over the country after initially siding with the French..but the French fucked them around..
Natives in Canada today definitely do not thrive..and there are plenty of reservations that are well below what you and I would consider decent living conditions. BUT - they have a lot of opportunities available if they take advantage of them (free education, free medical and dental care, and small business startup grants). Unfortunately, many Natives don't take advantage of what is available to them.
I have one native friend who has been to community college, flying school and did a 3 year degree in Psycholgy at the same University I studied at - all paid for by the gov't - and he works a telephone job because he's too lazy to see things through and push himself to the next level. Its a shame, really..because he's a fairly smart guy.

elipson
1st July 09, 05:22 PM
Hahaha It rained in Ontario :P

It's bloody hot out here in BC, and I'm off to the beach! followed by drinking, singing Oh Canada (after plenty of time drinking) and watching the fireworks, while drinking. And singing.
DjoNucs20Vw

resolve
1st July 09, 05:23 PM

While I hate Wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812 is a decent source.

Canada was part of the British Empire then. So we fought them as well as the British and the Native Americans.

OZZ
1st July 09, 07:07 PM
Went to see Public Enemies , but it was sold out !!
So we rented 'The International' with Clive Owen to watch later tonight...

Dark Helmet
1st July 09, 07:56 PM
bESTEST cANADA DAY EVAR

I folded my clothes from the dryer. BBQ'd a chicken for supper. Tried a new white wine from california. And right now I hear Samba music coming from my neighbors condo next door. I must have gotten 10 great hours of sleep last night. After today it doen't seem all bad to have a day off in the middle of the week.

Arhetton
1st July 09, 09:12 PM
canada is americas hat

elipson
1st July 09, 09:24 PM
We're bigger and we're on top. If this were prison....

elipson
1st July 09, 09:27 PM
Ety2FEHQgwM

Ajamil
1st July 09, 11:13 PM
I need to learn more about the war of 1812. Pretty much what I know can be summed up by the scrawny, new US getting a black eye and bloody nose from the bully UK (and now Canada), but smiling because at least they didn't get his wallet.

Edit: See? A little music and now I've tripled my knowledge of the war.

Harpy
2nd July 09, 12:25 AM
Canada is really not on my 'List of Countries to visit'. As fine a country as it must be and as lovely as its citizens, it seems just a little boring.

elipson
2nd July 09, 01:25 AM
Ya. A country with every climate known to man definitely wouldn't have anything interesting to do in it.

Arhetton
2nd July 09, 01:43 AM
lily... wtf? have you ever seen pictures of the rockies? Its like untouched by man, pure beauty, pure air, water, animals everywhere, its fucking crazy. definately on my list of countries to visit.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2nd July 09, 02:13 AM
I need to learn more about the war of 1812. Pretty much what I know can be summed up by the scrawny, new US getting a black eye and bloody nose from the bully UK (and now Canada), but smiling because at least they didn't get his wallet.

Edit: See? A little music and now I've tripled my knowledge of the war.

The War of 1812 was a huge step towards America turning self-sufficient and isolationist and thriving for a hundred years before thunderously re-entering international politics. I don't know why people look at it as a defeat.

Harpy
2nd July 09, 02:25 AM
lily... wtf? have you ever seen pictures of the rockies? Its like untouched by man, pure beauty, pure air, water, animals everywhere, its fucking crazy. definately on my list of countries to visit.

I lived in NZ for 5 years, been there done that, only have so much time to live and travel. Canada isn't on the list.

Neildo
2nd July 09, 03:16 AM

trade ya. i'll take insane heat, no rain, drop bears, and asian chicks with funny lolstralian accents any day. your bugs are all huge and easy to hit with a thrown boot. ours are all tiny and will get you in your sleep.

Harpy
2nd July 09, 03:19 AM
DO IT NEILDO!!! Why don't you and Arhetton swap identities and come live each other's lives?

Ajamil
2nd July 09, 09:52 AM
The War of 1812 was a huge step towards America turning self-sufficient and isolationist and thriving for a hundred years before thunderously re-entering international politics. I don't know why people look at it as a defeat.

Not a defeat, but my understanding was that the British forces pulled back - we held them off. In other words, they didn't get our wallet.

Artful Dentures
2nd July 09, 01:21 PM
I lived in NZ for 5 years, been there done that, only have so much time to live and travel. Canada isn't on the list.

Every Australian I have met in Canada and every Canadian I have met who has been to Australia says the same thing.

Canada and Australia are very similar with the differences primarily being funny accents and climate.

Artful Dentures
2nd July 09, 01:23 PM
Also I am very much a Toronto snob and didn't really start to travel to other parts of Canada until the last 6-7 years

I am constantly amazed by how much fun I have everywhere I go in this country from Quebec, to Cape Breton, from Vancouver and Victoria to small town Ontario.

It's a fricken Great country!!

Kiko
2nd July 09, 01:46 PM
We're importing one of your citizens for the weekend.. Wheeee!

Ajamil
2nd July 09, 02:22 PM
Goju, ever hear of Bhakti Marg Swami? He's one of our sannyasis who writes on his meditations as he walks back and forth across Canada.

Kiko
2nd July 09, 02:27 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/Skuz84vdahI/AAAAAAAADhE/FlJpCcjUFs8/s400/michaelle+P-ow-canada.jpg

Artful Dentures
2nd July 09, 02:36 PM
Goju, ever hear of Bhakti Marg Swami? He's one of our sannyasis who writes on his meditations as he walks back and forth across Canada.

No but my sister in law is huge into that stuff and has had swami's stay at her house I will ask her.

when I eat Indian food I say this Mantra hollyshitthatishotwhydidntanyonetellme!!!

OZZ
2nd July 09, 02:43 PM
Canada is really not on my 'List of Countries to visit'. As fine a country as it must be and as lovely as its citizens, it seems just a little boring.

Lots to do and plenty to see if you are an outdoor person and want to see some of the most beautiful sights in the world.
Banff, Jasper, Northern Ontario, Upper Mainland BC, Vancouver Island, the Yukon, Newfoundland and Labrador for fjords and glaciers..we also have the best fresh water beaches in the entire world.
You don't know what you're missing.
Of course, if you are an inner city arse who likes smoggy downtowns and shitty bars with bands no one gives a shit about - we have that too, but why leave home for that?

OZZ
2nd July 09, 02:48 PM
Not a defeat, but my understanding was that the British forces pulled back - we held them off. In other words, they didn't get our wallet.

The White House was burned..I say that is a win for our ancestors.

Artful Dentures
2nd July 09, 02:50 PM
The war of 1812 was basically cause by two things, One the British attempting to press British sailors from US ships, two the US wanting to take over Canada

OZZ
2nd July 09, 02:54 PM

You guys attacked US!! The war of 1812 was the US trying to invade Canada!!

Ajamil
2nd July 09, 03:22 PM
Oh...well damn, how else were we going to get t3h r34l manifest destiny? It was coast to coast, pole to pole, baby!!

No really, didn't know that. I thought it was started by the British.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2nd July 09, 04:18 PM
Britain wouldn't stop fucking with us and America wanted Canada, so both sides were pretty much asking for it.
But America lost no territory, its industry received a jumpstart as factories sprang up to cover the loss of foreign trade from the British blockade, and America managed to get rid of those pesky treaties the British made to try and protect the Native American's territory.

elipson
2nd July 09, 05:24 PM
If you guys ever came to the Okanaga in BC you'd understand why everywhere else sucks. Hot girls and great beaches. And good snowboarding in the winter time. 4 ski hills less than 2 hours away.

It's also not minus a thousand like most other places in Canada and doesn't rain all the time like the BC coast.

AAAhmed46
3rd July 09, 03:32 AM
Canada is the greatest country in the world.

Damn right!!!

GuiltySpark
4th July 09, 05:36 PM
Spent Canada day (well the whole week) creeping around the woods with no sleep, little food, covered in poison ivy, tons of bug bites soaked to the bone spying on people- practising long range reconnaissance patrols 'behind enemy lines' to the flavour of "We might be in someones backyard soon dealing with desert, jungle AND water".
Avast fuckers!

What a great week.
Whats with the history class?
Canada is awesome.
East coast newfies, west coast rockies and pot heads, arctic, forests planes.
Other shit in there like hot women and poutine

5th July 09, 12:12 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mUEriLkd3GE/SE2LAC-0o_I/AAAAAAAAA7I/tl2EOelvY_A/s320/canadafail.jpg

OZZ
6th July 09, 03:51 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mUEriLkd3GE/SE2LAC-0o_I/AAAAAAAAA7I/tl2EOelvY_A/s320/canadafail.jpg

"Snake Plissken? I've heard of you...THUMP!....I heard you were dead."

GuiltySpark
17th July 09, 10:16 PM

http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0805/epic-fail-epic-fail-george-bush-president-u-s-a-usa-celebrit-demotivational-poster-1211157963.jpg

17th July 09, 11:20 PM
http://thechive.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bush_obama_vader.jpg

EuropIan
18th July 09, 04:17 AM
how come Obama turns into Dick Cheney?

18th July 09, 09:44 AM
how come Obama turns into Dick Cheney?

Because his testicles finally dropped?

EuropIan
18th July 09, 09:52 AM