PDA

View Full Version : Lebanese Food.

Virus
30th June 09, 09:40 PM
Lebanese Food = t3h 4w3s0m3.

I went shopping today and got some Lebanese takeaway to have for dinner.

What I got:

Lentils and rice.

Potato Salad.

Vine Leaves. (I'm glad I started getting into these)

Falafels.

I've got some hommus to go with it as well.

Fuck it, I'm having some of it for lunch now.

Harpy
30th June 09, 09:47 PM
You're making me hungry, I forgot you're vegetarian (you are right)?

Falafels rock. Where's your tabouleh?

Vine leaves are off the menu for me though as they look like organs. Potato salad, too much carb.

Virus
30th June 09, 10:04 PM
You're making me hungry, I forgot you're vegetarian (you are right)?

Falafels rock. Where's your tabouleh?

Vine leaves are off the menu for me though as they look like organs. Potato salad, too much carb.

Yeah I should have got tabouleh. But if you eat it straight you'll have parsley stuck to your teeth for weeks.

Yes I'm herbivore.

Harpy
30th June 09, 10:09 PM
Considering that you got half the shop, the parsley wouldn't have stuck.

Why vegetarian (does this include fish and/or eggs)?

Ajamil
30th June 09, 11:38 PM
I'd like to hear more about this as well. I didn't know you were veggie. Do you mind sharing your reasoning?

Virus
30th June 09, 11:43 PM
I'd like to hear more about this as well. I didn't know you were veggie. Do you mind sharing your reasoning?

I do it to annoy people.

danno
30th June 09, 11:50 PM
my girlfriend has a number of lebanese friends. it's great going to their parties, weddings and so on because there's always ridiculous amounts of good food.

Ajamil
30th June 09, 11:51 PM
Does it work?

Virus
1st July 09, 01:25 AM
Does it work?

Yeah, Nun is annoyed right now.

Neildo
1st July 09, 03:12 AM
fully agree about the food. i think the reason lebanon has always been at war with their neighbors is because their food is better and everyone else is just jealous. i've had all kinds of chicken and rice variations from different mediterranian countries and i think the lebanese do it best. their women are pretty hot too, dark skin and blue eyes rawr

Kein Haar
1st July 09, 11:31 AM
The wunz wit da blue euyes have also teh p3norz!!1

Cullion
1st July 09, 01:18 PM
I do it to annoy people.

Pat Connell wants his line back. What's the real reason?

MaverickZ
1st July 09, 01:54 PM
I think that's part of his religious traditions.

MaverickZ
1st July 09, 01:55 PM
1FaNzrtu0KM

Harpy
1st July 09, 05:56 PM
Virus - if you're vegetarian, how do you manage to pack on the muscle?

Cullion
1st July 09, 05:58 PM
If he's vegetarian and not vegan he can get everything he needs from eggs, nuts dairy and maybe some suppliments.

The rest is about his own hormone levels.

Harpy
1st July 09, 06:14 PM
True as that may be, looking at what he had for dinner last night (Lebanese vegetarian food) there is nothing particularly special in the ingredients that are conducive to 'growth'.

I'm still waiting to hear if he eats eggs and/or fish and takes any supplements.

Virus
1st July 09, 06:17 PM

Why don't you eat cats?

Cullion
1st July 09, 06:19 PM
I've seen a picture of Virus, as have you. He's not a huge Arnold Schwarzenneger clone, he just looks like a guy who works out with reasonably solid arms. Perfectly achievable on a vegan diet with nuts and other high-protein veg, some lucky genetics and the right training schedule.

I can name at least one Olympic sprinter who was a strict vegan. Within certain parameters, different diets work for different people for different purposes.

Most bodybuilders who eat shitloads of meat and fish are eating much more protein than their body can actually use to sustain muscle or grow muscle, they're just filling up on something that takes more calories to digest to help them keep the bodyfat off.

Harpy
1st July 09, 06:20 PM
Virus - can you please answer my questions? I'm not trying to shoot you down about your reasons for being vegetarian (as I am vegetarian by choice too).

Cullion
1st July 09, 06:20 PM
Why don't you eat cats?

I'd be perfectly willing to eat cats or dogs, but they don't sell them where I live and I've got no reason to go looking for them.

Why are you a herbivore?

Harpy
1st July 09, 06:23 PM
I've seen a picture of Virus, as have you. He's not a huge Arnold Schwarzenneger clone, he just looks like a guy who works out with reasonably solid arms. Perfectly achievable on a vegan diet with nuts and other high-protein veg, some lucky genetics and the right training schedule.

I can name at least one Olympic sprinter who was a strict vegan. Within certain parameters, different diets work for different people for different purposes.

Most bodybuilders who eat shitloads of meat and fish are eating much more protein than their body can actually use to sustain muscle or grow muscle, they're just filling up on something that takes more calories to digest to help them keep the bodyfat off.

Cullion - I know of a number of vegetarian and vegan athletes, but we're talking professionals who have the right team around them.

I've met Virus a couple of times and I'm just impressed that someone on a vegetarian diet can see those sort of results. While I was vegan for 5 years I had a hell of a time putting on muscle, this year I've reverted to vegetarianism and am finding I am making better gains.

danno
1st July 09, 06:28 PM
Virus - if you're vegetarian, how do you manage to pack on the muscle?

definitely on the roids.

bob
1st July 09, 06:32 PM
Cyborg.

Cullion
You're a female who doesn't take steroids or other synthetic hormones (to my knowledge). Virus isn't. That makes way more difference than any whey-shake or steak either of you may eat.

That shit plays out pretty simillar if you both ate flesh.

The biggest difference I know of in sporting diet isn't in muscle development, it's in certain high-resistance endurance events where veggies tend to suffer from the lack of fatty acids to draw on for fuel. Winter sports like long-distance cross-country skiing, polar exploration or serious mountaineering would be examples.

The idea that you have to eat fish or animals to be muscular looking is unscientific, although it is often more convienient. It's much more of an advantage when you have to hike over the top of a mountain in cold weather.

Virus
Actually Cullion's right I'm not t3h huuuge, just average for someone who works out. I didn't start off with good genetics I was a natural ectomorph as a teenager and very much on the thin side. Also he is correct in that females have about 1/10th the testosterone levels of men which means gains in lean mass are biologically limited so you can't really compare.

I take a multivitamin just in case. I've checked my nutrient levels with Fitday, I've had my iron and B12 and a few other things checked (when I took no vitamins) and they were in the normal range. I don't eat eggs.

Harpy
1st July 09, 06:34 PM
definitely on the roids.

LOL...though that's probably preferable to standing naked on anthills and letting meat ants feast on you.

Cullion
1st July 09, 06:38 PM
Actually Cullion's right I'm not t3h huuuge, just average for someone who works out. I didn't start off with good genetics I was a natural ectomorph as a teenager and very much on the thin side.

I take a multivitamin just in case. I've checked my nutrient levels with Fitday, I've had my iron and B12 and a few other things checked (when I took no vitamins) and they were in the normal range. I don't eat eggs.

I'm glad it's working out for you.

Why are you a herbivore?

(p.s. this is kind of annoying now, isn't it?)

Harpy
1st July 09, 06:38 PM
Actually Cullion's right I'm not t3h huuuge, just average for someone who works out. I didn't start off with good genetics I was a natural ectomorph as a teenager and very much on the thin side.

Ah, cool...that somewhat answers it (as does Cullion throwing cold water in my face about men vs. women).

You may not be Arnie but you're a tank in my book.

Cullion
1st July 09, 06:45 PM
The cold water works both ways physically. Men tend to be less flexible, and we tend to have weaker leg muscles relative to our body mass.

Harpy
1st July 09, 06:56 PM
tend to have weaker leg muscles relative to our body mass.
Essentially still stronger than a woman's leg muscles. In general, strength > flexibility.

Anyway, Virus...going to tell us what made you become vegetarian? I'm interested.

Virus
1st July 09, 07:05 PM
I don't feel like eating animals. There's some other reasons regarding the ecological benefits that are secondary.

Cullion
1st July 09, 07:07 PM
I don't feel like eating animals. There's some other reasons regarding the ecological benefits that are secondary.

You don't feel like eating animals? That's all ?
How inefficient.

What ecological benefits are you talking about, and for whom?

Virus
1st July 09, 07:11 PM
< Meat < carbon footprint.

Cullion
1st July 09, 07:12 PM
Carbon footprint? How absurd. Why do you care about that ?

Cullion
1st July 09, 07:13 PM
Are you suggesting that your body somehow makes less use of carbon the more muscle you build?

You haven't given the mathematics of this proposition any real thought, have you ?

Cullion
1st July 09, 07:15 PM
Oh the lulz. Virus is not ony a worshipper of the 'intellectualized' branch of the invisible machine cult (as most college students are these days), but he actually plans his whole life around a mathematical impossibility.

How absurd. How utterly absurd.

Harpy
1st July 09, 07:16 PM
Cullion, I think virus is referring to the oft-used argument that raising livestock for slaughter and all the processes that are part of this is less environmentally sustainable than crop production.

Cullion
1st July 09, 07:17 PM
What's a carbon footprint Virus ?

A cow eats x carbon from photosynthesizing plants, and grow to Y size.

You eat a Y sized cow and grow to size Z.

But wait! if you just ate x carbon yourself, there would somehow be less carbon in the atmosphere, and this carbon percentage really matters!

Please, tell me you aren't fucking dumb enough to believe this.

Virus
1st July 09, 07:18 PM
Cullion before offering any more commentary on people's diets read at one textbook from cover to cover on human physiology and one textbook on environmental science.

Please hack away at more strawmen until you do.

Cullion
1st July 09, 07:20 PM
Cullion, I think virus is referring to the oft-used argument that raising livestock for slaughter and all the processes that are part of this is less environmentally sustainable than crop production.

Yes, I know he is.

I'm pointing out to him that

a) he doesn't seem to understand the real argument and

b) even if he did understand the real argument, he doesn't have a truly rational reason for caring.

Look, some wisdom is ancient.

Virus is an idolator who denies it and rants about everybody else being an idol worshipper.

Personally, I don't mind if you worship an idol, or don't worship and idol.

I just want to shut his repetitive spiel up by demonstrating to him how ill-informed and irrational his own views are.

I know you've met him in person, and I'm sorry if I'm attacking somebody you consider a friend Lily.

Let me put it this way.

If you tell me to step away, I will.

Cullion
1st July 09, 07:22 PM
Cullion before offering any more commentary on people's diets read at one textbook from cover to cover on human physiology and one textbook on environmental science.

Please hack away at more strawmen until you do.

That isn't an answer, that's a layer of indirection. Please state it clearly so I can engage with it.

Virus
1st July 09, 07:29 PM
That answer was good enough for you to give.

Cullion
1st July 09, 07:34 PM
And you didn't like it, did you ?

So I want you to meet your own standard, and give the real answer, or otherwise step way from your own absurdities.

Virus
1st July 09, 07:49 PM
And you didn't like it, did you ?

So I want you to meet your own standard, and give the real answer, or otherwise step way from your own absurdities.

Except you gave that answer in seriousness. I'm just doing it for troll proposes.

Virus
1st July 09, 08:12 PM
Cullion: The increased use of land water and energy that goes into animal vs plant agriculture is pretty well established in the scientific literature. For instance;

AB Food demand influences agricultural production. Modern agricultural practices have resulted in polluted soil, air, and water; eroded soil; dependence on imported oil; and loss of biodiversity. The goal of this research was to compare the environmental effect of a vegetarian and nonvegetarian diet in California in terms of agricultural production inputs, including pesticides and fertilizers, water, and energy used to produce commodities. The working assumption was that a greater number and amount of inputs were associated with a greater environmental effect. The literature supported this notion. To accomplish this goal, dietary preferences were quantified with the Adventist Health Study, and California state agricultural data were collected and applied to state commodity production statistics. These data were used to calculate different dietary consumption patterns and indexes to compare the environmental effect associated with dietary preference. Results show that, for the combined differential production of 11 food items for which consumption differs among vegetarians and nonvegetarians, the nonvegetarian diet required 2.9 times more water, 2.5 times more primary energy, 13 times more fertilizer, and 1.4 times more pesticides than did the vegetarian diet. The greatest contribution to the differences came from the consumption of beef in the diet. We found that a nonvegetarian diet exacts a higher cost on the environment relative to a vegetarian diet. From an environmental perspective, what a person chooses to eat makes a difference.

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 89(5):1699S-1703S, 2009 May.

Both the meat-based average American diet and the lactoovovegetarian
diet require significant quantities of nonrenewable
fossil energy to produce. Thus, both food systems are
not sustainable in the long term based on heavy fossil energy
requirements. However, the meat-based diet requires more energy,
land, and water resources than the lactoovovegetarian diet.
limited sense, the lactoovovegetarian diet is more sustainable than
the average American meat-based diet.

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 78, No. 3, 660S-663S, September 2003

I could be wrong. I said it wasn't my main reason for not eating meat, I just recognize it as a good reason for avoiding meat. It is funny how you're desperately trying to find some character flaw because I said some shit about religion that you didn't like.

danno
1st July 09, 09:29 PM
LOL...though that's probably preferable to standing naked on anthills and letting meat ants feast on you.

who said anything about naked?

you need a good hat to stop the sun from burning you up.

danno
1st July 09, 09:34 PM
btw, enjoying this thread greatly.

Neildo
2nd July 09, 02:53 AM
i was going to post a picture of human canine teeth and caption it 'not for veggies'

then i found this:

http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/articles/id/spiritualresearch/spiritualscience/veg-or-non-veg

enjoy

Harpy
2nd July 09, 03:16 AM
Sydney people, have you'll tried 'Le Sarab' in Concord?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/205325135_cc9fabd1f9.jpg

Neildo
2nd July 09, 03:18 AM
that looks like pretty goddamn good falafel. WANT

danno
2nd July 09, 05:20 AM
i live about 5 minutes away from that place, haven't tried it yet.

Virus
2nd July 09, 07:22 AM
I've been to a few Lebanese restaurants in Sydney and sometimes they do really salty falafels. I had that in Newtown last week.

Ajamil
2nd July 09, 10:15 AM
http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/articles/id/spiritualresearch/spiritualscience/veg-or-non-veg
enjoy

Their description of tamas is off. Inertia and ignorance (as shown in the translation) are much better than "stepping on other people's toes."

I'd love to know where they think they're getting percentages and "pain units" from. *facepalm* Although I have heard that the adrenale dump and other hormonal changes affect the meat you get from an animal.

Oooh, they're going as far as taking away your onions in this one.

Some communities refrain from having onion and garlic. What is the spiritual perspective about this? Onions and garlic have a higher proportion of the subtle raja component. It is for this reason as per the science of Ayurveda a diet with garlic and onions is recommended to improve a personís appetite. The increased raja component from eating onion and garlic in moderation is very quickly overcome by the increase in sattva component of a person doing medium (4-5 hours) to intense spiritual practice (10-12 hours).

ISKCON cooks often use hing (asafoetida) as a replacement. If you want to be really strict, then you also cut out mushrooms, and there are some I know who won't eat tubers since they were in the ground.

This

For God-realisation we need to transcend the 3 subtle components.
and this

However, if one chants chanting with spiritual emotion then the subtle sattva component increases by 5%.
make me think this was a Gaudiya Vaishnava.

Virus
2nd July 09, 10:59 AM
Arjuna, what are your favorite foods?

Ajamil
2nd July 09, 11:29 AM
That's a hard question. I like Italian dishes with ricotta cheese, stews and soups with thick chunks of veggies in them, fajitas with fresh cooked ingredients, seitan-kebobs, eggplant parmesan, palak paneer, stir fry, Thai curry dishes, Cap'n Crunch cereal (prefer without crunchberries, but that's hard to find these days), Breyer's all natural ice creams, love me some cakes but it's so hard to find one without eggs that unless I make it I'm not having it, mangoes, Gala apples, rice and dahl.

I'm such a non-fussy eater. There are few things I won't eat, and of that list the only one coming to mind is cooked carrots.

Virus
2nd July 09, 01:07 PM
Cooked carrots I'm totally Ok with. You know what I don't like cooked? Mushrooms. Mushrooms that are in small pieces and distributed throughout a curry, stew or something I'm fine with. What I don't like is a big serving, by itself, of cooked or fried mushrooms. I don't like that sort of sloppy texture.

Cullion
2nd July 09, 01:29 PM
Cullion: The increased use of land water and energy that goes into animal vs plant agriculture is pretty well established in the scientific literature.

That's a very odd reason not to eat meat. Especially game meats and fish.

Why did you ask me if I would eat a dog as your first answer ?

I could be wrong. I said it wasn't my main reason for not eating meat, I just recognize it as a good reason for avoiding meat. It is funny how you're desperately trying to find some character flaw because I said some shit about religion that you didn't like.

I'm doing to you _exactly what you do every time religion is mentioned_. And I don't plan on stopping any time soon.

What's the real reason you don't eat meat?

Virus
2nd July 09, 02:15 PM
I already told you. Most people would be uncomfortable about eating a cat. I feel the same way about other species.

Cullion
2nd July 09, 03:00 PM
But that's so irrational. Your body evolved to eat meat.

Ajamil
2nd July 09, 03:19 PM
Our brains evolved to empathize as well.

Artful Dentures
2nd July 09, 04:13 PM
I am not a vegetarian by any means but i find i don't enjoy meat all that much anymore.

Virus
2nd July 09, 10:31 PM
But that's so irrational. Your body evolved to eat meat.

Is-ought fallacy.

AAAhmed46
2nd July 09, 11:09 PM
Love arab food, but i have to add my south asian touch by making it spicy. Arabs tend to have bland food.

Virus
2nd July 09, 11:37 PM
Yeah I prefer a scorching hot curry made with this stuff:

http://www.hotsauce.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Blairs-Beyond-Death-4-Pack-2T.jpg

Cullion
4th July 09, 03:09 PM
Is-ought fallacy.

You're following a self-imposed dietary restriction for an irrational reason.

Virus
4th July 09, 03:39 PM
It's irrational that you don't eat worms. Nothing wrong with wholesome, fresh worms.

Cullion
4th July 09, 03:43 PM
What makes you think I wouldn't eat worms ?

Virus
4th July 09, 05:42 PM
A guess.

Cullion
4th July 09, 06:29 PM
I'd eat worms.

Neildo
4th July 09, 06:35 PM
are worms halal? shaworma?

DAYoung
4th July 09, 06:35 PM
cullion, i'll make you eat worm, sissy god-lover

Neildo
4th July 09, 06:40 PM
rFVe9xguXkA

Virus
4th July 09, 06:44 PM
Maybe a few worms a day can train your immune system to resist bacteria.

DAYoung
4th July 09, 06:45 PM
we can always count on neildo

NEILDO DELIVERS™

Cullion
4th July 09, 06:55 PM
cullion, i'll make you eat worm, sissy god-lover

Is that a euphemism for your and your friends piddly little dicks ?

DAYoung
4th July 09, 07:15 PM
Is that a euphemism for your and your friends piddly little dicks ?

Of course it is.

Do I have to spell everything out for you?

Cullion
4th July 09, 07:23 PM
Well, I didn't make it all the way to Ph.D-hood. Now you can see why.

DAYoung
4th July 09, 07:36 PM
cos u idiot

Virus
4th July 09, 08:01 PM
Cullion, even if you get the concession you're looking for, that vegetarianism is irrational, it's not going to matter one bit about whether the things I've said about religion are true or not. It's just a tu quoque fallacy. If a guy says that tobacco causes lung cancer and smokes six packs a day, that doesn't mean that he is wrong.

Cullion
4th July 09, 08:06 PM
Cullion, even if you get the concession you're looking for, that vegetarianism is irrational, it's not going to matter one bit about whether the things I've said about religion are true or not. It's just a tu quoque fallacy.

Not really. You're imposing a dietary restriction on yourself because of a feeling which appears to be a warped form empathy for species other than your own, a minor form of mental illness, essentially. A neurosis.

If you get hounded about this in every thread in a repetitive manner, then you'll perhaps begin to understand why your way of trying to discuss religion is annoying.
My next step will be to make up more slightly nonsensical things about Vegetarianism based on a version of vegetarianism I've made up in my head and then lambast you for watering down and rationalising vegetarianism when you try to point this out.

Virus
4th July 09, 08:23 PM
...a feeling which appears to be a warped form empathy for species other than your own, a minor form of mental illness, essentially. A neurosis.

lol. I guess ethics committees are pathological as well.

So which arguments have I made about religion that are based on things that nobody believes?

Cullion
4th July 09, 08:40 PM
Go back into the threads and read the responses.

danno
11th July 09, 07:13 AM
EOzHWEQ_kJM