PDA

View Full Version : How does Gumbo taste like?

AAAhmed46
28th June 09, 01:22 AM
Ive heard of it in termsof the simpsons and people talking about it.

Is it some sort of sea food stew?

Anyone ever have it or tasted it?

WarPhalange
28th June 09, 01:37 AM
It tastes exactly how it sounds.

bob
28th June 09, 03:39 AM
It tastes exactly how it sounds.

Bubble gum stew?

Ka-Bar
28th June 09, 03:42 AM
What an odd question. It tastes seafood-y and spicy. There are variants, but the base stock is made of sauteed vegetables, seafood (usually shrimp) stock and a dark roux. Spices and meats are added, usually shrimp or prawns, crawdads, oysters, a firm fish like snapper or catfish and andouille sausage. Variations exist, with people throwing in other types of seafood, chicken, pork, etc. It should have okra in it, if there's no okra, it's not gumbo. It's then ladled over a bowl of hot white rice.

Japuma
28th June 09, 06:50 AM
What an odd question. It tastes seafood-y and spicy. There are variants, but the base stock is made of sauteed vegetables, seafood (usually shrimp) stock and a dark roux. Spices and meats are added, usually shrimp or prawns, crawdads, oysters, a firm fish like snapper or catfish and andouille sausage. Variations exist, with people throwing in other types of seafood, chicken, pork, etc. It should have okra in it, if there's no okra, it's not gumbo. It's then ladled over a bowl of hot white rice.

Okra is a foul slimy disgusting substance... Use file powder (powdered sassafras) to add flavor and to thicken.

Cullion
28th June 09, 06:52 AM
Okra foul and slimey? How are you cooking it to make it like that?

It's a crisp vegetable to me.

Japuma
28th June 09, 06:55 AM
In gumbo it is foul and slimy.

Ka-Bar
28th June 09, 12:46 PM
Okra is a foul slimy disgusting substance... Use file powder (powdered sassafras) to add flavor and to thicken.

Heathen. The file powder is added after cooking by the eater to their personal preference.

:tongue:

Like I said, there are variations, and some people are deeply entrenched in their preferences.

Ajamil
28th June 09, 02:02 PM
For me, gumbo - like menudo and goulash - are regionally different terms for the "throw that in there" stew.

Sun Wukong
28th June 09, 02:52 PM

I'm telling you right now that okra is not 100% necessary. Personally, I don't like okra so when I make gumbo, I don't use it. and the key ingredients are definitely dark roux and marjoram (not to be confused with margarine).

Everything else is pretty much up to the chef but I suggest mixing no less than 3 different kinds of meat (crawfish or shrimp is fine and, I've never made it without 1 of the 2).

Gumbo is a creole/cajun specialty and because of that there is a great deal of lee-way in it's preparation.

Edit: well, File' naturally. that goes without saying.

Sun Wukong
28th June 09, 02:55 PM
I always substitute red and yellow bell peppers and celery for okra.

mrblackmagic
28th June 09, 03:01 PM
I refuse to eat Okra in gumbo and if I can't avoid them. I just eat around them.

AAAhmed46
28th June 09, 10:40 PM
Recipe?

jnp
28th June 09, 10:57 PM
What is gumbo? It's a little piece of Cajun heaven if prepared properly. My wife's grandfather was from Bogolusa (sp?), LA. He made the best gumbo I ever tasted.

He also wore kickass socks every day of his life.

Ajamil
29th June 09, 07:45 AM
What about the first day of his life?

Phrost
29th June 09, 09:54 AM
It doesn't need to have seafood in it.

My wife's family is from Acadia parish, Louisiana (where the word "Cajun" comes from) and they make it with chicken and sausage.

Also,they actually put potato salad in theirs, which is fucking weird.

Ajamil
29th June 09, 10:21 AM
They prepare potato salad, and then dump it into the gumbo preparation? That is rather weird.

Phrost
29th June 09, 10:30 AM
Actually they pour the gumbo over the potato salad, into the individual bowls they serve it in.

Cullion
29th June 09, 01:28 PM
That sounds like a German thing. Does your wife's family have any German background Phrost?

Phrost
29th June 09, 02:46 PM
Nope. Her dad's side is so goddamn Cajun it's almost a cliche. Her grandfather used to always bitch about how when he got sent over to France in WWII "aww, I went over there me and they didn't speak no damn French them", or in other words he felt the French couldn't speak their own language properly.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th June 09, 06:02 PM
I'm telling you right now that okra is not 100% necessary. Personally, I don't like okra so when I make gumbo, I don't use it. and the key ingredients are definitely dark roux and marjoram (not to be confused with margarine).

Everything else is pretty much up to the chef but I suggest mixing no less than 3 different kinds of meat (crawfish or shrimp is fine and, I've never made it without 1 of the 2).

Gumbo is a creole/cajun specialty and because of that there is a great deal of lee-way in it's preparation.

Edit: well, File' naturally. that goes without saying.

can i come fo some yo gumbo?

TM
29th June 09, 06:41 PM
They prepare potato salad, and then dump it into the gumbo preparation? That is rather weird.
It's called Allemand after the Germans that settled on river road.

P.S. don't be hatin' on okra (gumbo) jus because ya'll don know howda cook it.

EuropIan
29th June 09, 07:57 PM
Oh please, the one time I did make gumbo I made the roux from scratch.

I hate roux (making it). the ocra base seems alot easier.

Sun Wukong
29th June 09, 08:00 PM
can i come fo some yo gumbo?

I have pictures taken of the recipe and process that my wife posted on one of her chinese blogs. I could put it up here, but I'm really, really lazy.

Kiko
29th June 09, 09:19 PM
Whatever they do, it's a hell of a better dish than this cold mac'cheese thing I'm eatiin' with this white wine!

Zendetta
29th June 09, 09:53 PM
I made some kickass Jambalaya a short while back. I'm going to make some cornbread and heat up the leftovers after a while.

Kiko
29th June 09, 10:06 PM
Now that you mention jambalaya, will I get flamed for saying I liked Tony Chachere's mix?

Zendetta
29th June 09, 10:07 PM
No that's good shit. Sprinkle on chickens and then grill - almost can't fuck that up.

Kiko
29th June 09, 10:11 PM
It was a rice thing to add to meat to make a complete meal.. Nummy! Must find more!