PDA

View Full Version : Transformers 2

elipson
24th June 09, 10:26 PM
<insert review here>

Well I saw this last night at midnight (and while I thought this made me a complete nerd, seeing the other people at the theatre made me realise I could be much worse), and my overall impression was good... not great, but good.

I fear this movie suffers a little from what I like to call the "Jurassic Park" effect. When JP first came out, everyone was like "holy shit dinosaurs in a live action movie!" By the second movie the gimmick wasn't so awesome anymore, and by the third movie no one cared about the Dinosaurs. Transformers may suffer from the same syndrome, with the first having a very strong "holy shit giant robots in live action!" impact which becomes less impressive in later sequels.

Let's break it down.

Pros:

- Giant robots Judo fighting with swords and guns in major cities. This is pretty much what made the original so fucking awesome in the first place, and this movie lives up well to it's predecesor. Lots of explosions.
- Special effects looked top notch.
- Meghan Fox is still rediculously hot.
- I actually liked the plot. It's not literary genuis, it's science fiction. And from what my friend told me, it stayed very true to the original plot of the comic books.
- Lots of humour in the characters. Corny humour like the first one, but it fit well.
- They have no qualms about killing people in this movie, but the graphic violence is still PG-13 rated. No blood and gore.
- They make allusions to both "President Obama" and "Swine flu". Extra points for recent social references.

Cons:

- It's bloody LONG. 2.5 hours, and there were many parts where it just kind of bumbled along without advancing the story at all. Too many parts added for comedic effect. They could have shaved at least a half an hour off the movie and it would have moved along at a better pace.
- Shia's character still annoys the shit out of me.
- There were a lot of setting discrepancies. At one point they are fighting somewhere on the eastern seaboard of the US, and the NEXT FRAME they are in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, apparently still engaged in the same battle. I wouldn't have noticed except that it was SO obvious and wierd, because I figured it would take a long time to get from the Eastern coast to anywhere remote and mountainy. There are some others parts like that, although none so glaring. The final parts of the movie seem to have an abundance of pyramids just scattered everywhere. I didn't know they were so common in Egypt.
- Human reinforcements seem to pop up out of nowhere. A little wierd, but not enough to wreck the movie. It is sci-fi afterall.
- They still didn't explain why all the robots created by the cube/parts are immediately evil.
- In the plot, the existence of Giant dueling robots is still classified and hidden from the general public. Come on now. That's a real stretch after the carnage of the first movie. Governments aren't THAT good at covering shit up.
- They give a very important item to the scrawny and slow human (shia lebouf) and expect him to get it to a very important location, instead of giving it the the giant, armoured, rocket shooting, high performance sports car that could get it there in a fraction of the time. Common sense much?
- they have an annoying government faction who seems hell bent on doing the opposite of what obvisouly should be done in every situation. Annoying, unoriginal, and forced.

The cons seem to outnumber the pros, but only in quantity. Giant Judo fighting robots, combined with awesome special effects and a scantily clad Meghan Fox more than compensate for some of the annoying parts of the movie.

In closing, if you liked the original movie, and especially the original books/cartoon, you will love this movie. If you didn't really like the first movie and don't care about seeing Giant Dueling robots, then this movie won't really win you over.

It is definitely best experienced in the theatre, whatever your opinion.

Ajamil
24th June 09, 10:41 PM
I had a midnight showing as well, so if you're a nerd for it, I am too (that...doesn't actually comfort me).

I have to disagree with you on the plot. It was too hazy, too in the background of the movie. A lot of things are suddenly added with no backstory, or perhaps for me the backstory was too contrived - too out of nowhere - for the plot developments to really go anywhere.

There were plenty of good characters - or there could have been if they were given a chance to have any depth. A whole lot of one-dimensional parts do not equal a multi-dimensional film. I would've liked to see less characters and more development with those characters - especially for a 2 1/2 hour movie.

Actually - the movie does follow the idea of the original cartoons very closely: sell merchandise. The explosions take longer than most of the dialogue scenes (and I'm talking about a single super-charged takedown, just one in a whole string of em). The messages are at one point nonexistant, and the next they're beating you over the head with it.

I guess Bay was listening to critics because what I heard most disliked in the first movie was the lack of Transformers doing anything but fight scenes, and in this one they are much more the focus of the movie.

Overall I liked it, it's a fan movie and it really shouldn't be more than that.

Also, fucking Devastator!! Wooo!!!

partyboy
24th June 09, 11:58 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/8-Spoilerific-Reasons-To-Avoid-Transformers-2-13688.html

MrGalt
25th June 09, 07:35 AM
It really wrecked my suspension of disbelief when the old 'bot walked out the back of the Air and Space Museum and was suddenly in what looked like an air force base in Montana.

Is there a second Smithsonian I don't know about?

Ajamil
25th June 09, 07:45 AM
That site reminded me!! I almost screamed at this part in the movie:

They drop Optimus!! His saviorific metal body is carried back to base by helicopters and instead of placing him on the ground, or in some sort of carrying device (or even putting parachutes on him, like they did the second time) they just let go of the wires and drop him to the airfield like he wasn't some giant alien leader of a race that makes our toasters turn into missle platforms.

MSphinx
25th June 09, 09:41 AM
I liked the indirect jabbing at Obama.

Like when the government bureaucrat was being tricked into parachuting out of the plane, and he starts screaming "Bail out?! Bail out!"

And there was the argument the soldiers had with same bureaucrat about the futility of negotiating with bad guys.

Ajamil
25th June 09, 09:45 AM
I liked how Tyrese's only part in that movie was to stand there and not like the bureaucrat.

taijiamn
25th June 09, 11:02 AM
It really wrecked my suspension of disbelief when the old 'bot walked out the back of the Air and Space Museum and was suddenly in what looked like an air force base in Montana.

Is there a second Smithsonian I don't know about?

They kinda goofed on that one...the actual exhibit is at the Steven Udvar-Hazy A&S at Dulles.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/eventDetail.cfm?eventID=1317
http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/e/ec/Dulles_Airport.jpg

MrGalt
25th June 09, 11:59 AM
They kinda goofed on that one...the actual exhibit is at the Steven Udvar-Hazy A&S at Dulles.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/eventDetail.cfm?eventID=1317
http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/e/ec/Dulles_Airport.jpg

You're right. Did I hallucinate them saying it was the A&SM?

Ajamil
25th June 09, 12:26 PM
Cranky old SR-71 wasn't as cool as cranky old WW1 plane would've been, but then I suppose you don't get the big = old & powerful. What did these ancient autobots disguise themselves as before passenger machines, anyway? Are there transformer windmills now?

Odacon
25th June 09, 12:59 PM
I thought it was a mess, way too many jokes a 5 year old would find juvenile, and it takes Star Wars title of most racially offensive character from Jar Jar and gives it to those two gangsta autobots.

Ajamil
25th June 09, 01:13 PM
But think of the source material. When Hasbro started coming out with cartoons, they were ridiculed as flat, trite, pointless, jarring, and all around terrible. Did that matter to us kids? Fuck no - GI Joe and Transformers did and always will kick ass.

So when they transfer to the big screen to once again entice us to buy crap, I'm not going to bitch about how there's no deep questioning of humanity or any characters to really get attached to and be with when they have to make heart-rending decisions.

Think of Skids and Mudflap as a 21st century version of Hot Rod or Snarf or that wizard thing from He-Man.

taijiamn
25th June 09, 02:40 PM
You're right. Did I hallucinate them saying it was the A&SM?

Nope, they just didn't bother with clarity. Pissed me off too, before it came out I'd heard about it and specifically went to the A&SM again to see the Blackbird only to find out later it was in an offsite portion of the museum.

Zendetta
25th June 09, 04:06 PM
I thought it was a mess, way too many jokes a 5 year old would find juvenile, and it takes Star Wars title of most racially offensive character from Jar Jar and gives it to those two gangsta autobots.

I was just reading about the controversy surrounding the EbonicBots.

I can't believe an artiste like Michael Bay would stoop to that!

FickleFingerOfFate
25th June 09, 04:09 PM
So,

did any of you go out for tea afterwards?

Ajamil
25th June 09, 10:47 PM
I went to a midnight showing. The only place open when I got out 3 hrs later was Denny's, and I don't like their tea. Coincidentally, I did cold brew some tea at home and drank that.

elipson
25th June 09, 10:53 PM
Oh honestly now, get over the two dummy bots. Firstly, no one would care if they had cast them as redneck bots. Secondly, no one cared that they had a jazz bot in the first one who talked like a black jazz artist. And thirdly, its just comic relief! Get over it. I'm not sure what people are finding offensive about it. The dialect they use? I guess that makes every hip-hop song offensive too.

Ajamil
25th June 09, 11:04 PM
Besides, they provided the best one-liner of the movie.

"That hurt!"
"It's an ass kickin, it's supposed to hurt."

Phrost
26th June 09, 09:30 AM
Decent movie, if you've got no fucking comprehension of geography, and enjoy illiterate Ghettobots.

elipson
26th June 09, 02:37 PM
The only reason I went to see it was to see Giant Robots Judo-throwing the shit out of each other.

I got my monies worth.

Can't say I will buy it though.

Zendetta
26th June 09, 02:56 PM
lol, Ghettobots.

Crackerbots would be cool too - two beater chevy trucks that transform into drawling redneck robots. AWESOME.

Phrost
26th June 09, 03:13 PM
How the fuck did they walk out the backdoor of the Smithsonian and into the Colorado Rockies?

Phrost
26th June 09, 03:13 PM
lol, Ghettobots.

Crackerbots would be cool too - two beater chevy trucks that transform into drawling redneck robots. AWESOME.

GHETTOBOTS, transform and Ride Dirty

MSphinx
26th June 09, 11:55 PM
Apparently the ghettobots weren't originally written like that.

http://www.scifiscoop.com/news/the-transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-racism-debate/

FSR: I heard that the gold tooth was Michael Bay’s idea, but do you have any response to those who found The Twins offensive?

Orci: Number one, we sympathize. Yes, the gold tooth was not in the script, that’s true.

Kurtzman: It’s really hard for us to sit here and try to justify it.I think that would be very foolish, and if someone wants to be offended by it, it’s their right. We were very surprised when we saw it, too, and it’s a choice that was made. If anything, it just shows you that we don’t control every aspect of the movie.

FSR: Were you offended by them?

Kurtzman: I wasn’t thrilled. I certainly wasn’t thrilled.

Orci: Yeah, same reaction. I’m not easily offended, but when I saw it, I thought, ‘Someone’s gonna write about that.’”

Doritosaurus Chex
27th June 09, 12:06 AM
I love how if you didn't get the Ghetttobots the 1st time, they had a guy in the deli who looked like what the Ghettobots would look like if they were humans just to reinforce it.

Since they thought it was a good idea to add the Ghettobots, I imagined that the final battle took place in the city of Carbombya.

A lot of the camera work pissed me off. I almost felt sick with all the spinning around they did with the cameras.

The only characters I found interesting were Sam's parents. Everyone else just felt flat and 1 dimensional. This especially applied for the other transformers.

In the end, I felt that Michael Bay did well with the Baysplosions, but neglected everything else that makes a movie. I think we should stop defending this by saying "Relax, it's just a popcorn movie, so turn your brain off." Not only is that lazy and setting the bar low, but you're treating the man like he's a retard by rewarding him because he only did 1 thing right.

Arhetton
27th June 09, 01:00 AM
why this movie sucked, in pictures

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1155/848600678_0bdadb87e0.jpg

http://www.tfarchive.com/cartoons/generationone/profiles/RodPrime.jpg

http://www.newaztlan.com/japmovie.gif

No hotrod. No rodimus prime. Although bumblebee is the obvious substitute for this classic character and potential new leader of the autobots.

Also, what the fuck is the deal with simply being able to resurrect main characters when they are killed off? This totally devalues the death scenes of those characters.

This movie made megatron and starscream look like gigantic pussies. And the humans were too effective against the decepticons. Soundwave was a very cool addition.

Too many comic relief robots (ghetto twins, that small 'dog'bot megan fox carried around), the intro of the comic relief roommate etc.

I sort of liked it, but I feel like its moving in the 'batman & robin' direction rather than the 'dark knight' direction.

Odacon
27th June 09, 12:57 PM
The first film skirted the line with being too childish well, this pissed all over that line and then set fire to it. Also, why were the autobots so ridiculously outnumbered all the time? You'd think they'd have a bit more manpower this time.

Steve
1st July 09, 01:17 AM
Besides, they provided the best one-liner of the movie.

"That hurt!"
"It's an ass kickin, it's supposed to hurt."

Have to disagree, myself and many others burst out laughing at this one:

Leo: "I kinda had a panic attack back there.."

One ebonicbot to the other: "That's because you're a pussy" *fist bump with twin*

syberia
2nd July 09, 05:25 PM
Decent movie, if you've got no fucking comprehension of geography,

Handily enough; my geography sucks. I actually enjoyed it. Then again, i didn't walk into the cinema expecting much more than two hours of explosions & robot action and half an hour of obligatory plot development and Megan Foxs' ass.

I was fairly satified. Though its not something I'd go watch again.

and enjoy illiterate Ghettobots.

Have to admit, not the best comic relief.

Doritosaurus Chex
2nd July 09, 11:50 PM
What does this movie tell you when one of its stars says it sucks? She was pretty honest about her role, but I would also add that throughout the film, she pretty much complained to Sam about saying I love you.

"Transformers" director Michael Bay is shrugging off Megan Fox's latest, failed attempt at promoting the new sequel, according the Wall Street Journal. Fox, who really should just stick to making red carpet appearances wearing the equivalent of brightly-colored streamers, told the "Early Show" earlier this week that watching "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" in IMAX could give someone a brain aneurysm.

"I'm in the movie, and I read the script, and I watched the movie, and I still didn't know what was happening," she says. "So I think if you haven't read the script and you go and you see it and you understand it, I think you might be a genius." She has also said that she doesn't so much act in the film as run screaming toward the camera.

Bay tells the Wall Street Journal, "Well, that's Megan Fox for you. She says some very ridiculous things because she's 23 years old and she still has a lot of growing to do."

As far as Fox's comments that the films don't offer much in the way acting, Bay disagrees. "Nic Cage wasn't a big actor when I cast him, nor was Ben Affleck before I put him in 'Armageddon.' Shia LaBeouf wasn't a big movie star before he did 'Transformers' -- and then he exploded. Not to mention Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, from 'Bad Boys.' Nobody in the world knew about Megan Fox until I found her and put her in 'Transformers.' I like to think that I've had some luck in building actors' careers with my films."

Bay also says that he is thinking about making a third 'Transformers' movie, but no word on whether he's interested in rehiring Fox.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/celebrities/index.ssf/2009/07/michael_bay_on_megan_fox_she_s.html

I also found the fact that Michael Bay thinks that he launched Nic Cage, Will Smith, and Ben Affleck into stardom sadly hilarious.

Steve
2nd July 09, 11:54 PM
I also found the fact that Michael Bay thinks that he launched Nic Cage, Will Smith, and Ben Affleck into stardom.

Well, the fact was in the article you posted, did you mean to say something about it?

/confused

Doritosaurus Chex
3rd July 09, 12:14 AM
Well, the fact was in the article you posted, did you mean to say something about it?

/confused

Yeah. I accidentally the words sadly hilarious. Slipped it in the edit.

I guess Bay forgot about the part in Cage's career where he won an academy award before doing The Rock. He must have also forgotten about the time Affleck hung out with Kevin Smith and made some movies. As if Will Smith needed some help launching a film career after moving on from Fresh Prince. Any film director could say they made Will Smith's career if they were the first director he worked with.

Ajamil
9th July 09, 12:13 PM
You make me miss prostate massages, NOB.

Steve
9th July 09, 03:16 PM
Yeah, especially when Bumblebee jizzed all over her.

Doritosaurus Chex
9th July 09, 04:04 PM
How were they able to generate enough speed to kill her/knock her out without killing themselves because they weren't wearing seat belts?

Ajamil
9th July 09, 11:46 PM
*smack* Make sense now?

Scrapper
10th July 09, 12:33 PM
I enjoyed the hell out of it. Giant robots judo fighting and lots of High-tech US firepower. Good stuff.

Skidz and Mudflap didn't bother me. Most of their banter would be classified as "urban-adolescent" but not particularly racial. I posit that referring to their dialect as racist implies racism on the accuser; for pretty much every race/color/creed of high-school jackass talks like that.

I also felt that they looked more like buck-toothed rednecks more than anything.

They also gave Optimus a badassery upgrade for this one. He was very meh in the first movie...in this one Starscream, Megatron, and Grindor combined have all they can handle with him alone.

Just good clean fun. I was happy to see sideswipe, too. Corvette-y goodness.

Phrost
10th July 09, 05:05 PM
So did nobody else care that they walked out of the Smithsonian into the fucking Rockies?

Ajamil
10th July 09, 11:23 PM
There are wooded hill environments on the east coast...

resolve
11th July 09, 02:29 AM
How can you guys seriously spend money on drivel like this?

Ajamil
11th July 09, 08:57 AM
I have money rats. Seriously, it's a sucky infestation and they leave these dollar droppings all over the place. If I don't go through and clean out all the discarded money then it rots and smells like a year old cougar corpse that died eating bad oysters.

So I spend it on bad movies who's only selling point is big action scenes - thus requiring a movie screen to fully enjoy.

Ajamil
11th July 09, 12:44 PM
Honestly, they have midnight showings the Thursday night before these big movies open, and I get off work round that time so I like to go see them and then spoil it for assholes at work come Friday.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th July 09, 12:47 PM
i just movie hopped

Doritosaurus Chex
11th July 09, 12:51 PM
I intentionally watch bad movies so I can tell my friends not to. If I can convince 5 friends not to watch the movie, then I've offset my carbon footprint.