PDA

View Full Version : Rate Kevin Smith's work

Spade: The Real Snake
21st June 09, 01:55 PM
Prompted from Billy Sol Hurok's post (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1435979&postcount=13), rate your Writer/Director Kevin Smith films from best to worst, including Clerks Animated as a whole and all three Evening with:

Clerks
Clerks II
Clerks: Animated
Evening with Kevin Smith
Evening Harder
Dogma
Jersey Girl
Mallrats
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Zack and Miri
Chasing Amy
Sold Out: Threevening

I will be thinking about this and posting my list.

Steve
21st June 09, 02:16 PM
I'm not going to bother with this thread but I have to say that Billy is SO WRONG in regards to Superbad.

Cullion
21st June 09, 02:22 PM
I've only seen Clerks on that list. It was, uh, alright. Not genius though.

Ajamil
21st June 09, 03:29 PM
Clerks
Dogma
Zack and Miri
Mallrats
Clerks II

Haven't Seen:
Evening with Kevin Smith
Evening Harder
Jersey Girl
Chasing Amy

I really like clerks because of the style of dialogue. It's very similar to what you'd use in a Speech & Debate class. Little scenery is needed, it's just two or sometimes three people discussing stuff. Woody Allen does a lot of that too.

Dogma was a completely different style of movie, I liked the satirical (even though it was rather factual in its canon) take on Catholicism, and it had George Carlin and brought us Buddy Christ.

Clerks animated was zany, and basically a pretense for pop culture reference. I don't think they took it seriously, and that's why it works. Strangely (or not), the best part of the series was not a pop culture reference:

"We'll be answering some letters from the viewers today. Up first is Jennifer."

"Dear Clerks, your show seems to denigrate and put down women. I think there's much to be added to your show by having the female point of view presented. In this day and age, we should move beyond simplistic stereotypes and branch out into a world full of opinion and possibility."

"Thanks Jennifer. Nice handwriting. Up next is Heather. She asks,"

"Dear Clerks, why are there no women on your show? Are you afraid of women?"

"Yes."

And having your second episode be a flashback montage is hilarious.

Mallrats and Zack & Miri are probably equal in my eyes. I couldn't pin down exactly what I like about them, but I laughed throughout both.

Clerks 2 was good, but it took the gem that was Clerks and tried to make it bigger and better, and what it ended up doing was making it cumbersome.

Jay and Silent Bob was the end result of that - it was Smith jumping the shark.

billy sol hurok
21st June 09, 05:03 PM
I'm not going to bother with this thread but I have to say that Billy is SO WRONG in regards to Superbad.

You mean I didn't hate everyone in the movie?

Back on-topic, I'll play:

Clerks
Dogma (mmmm, Linda Fiorentino)
Clerks II (mmmm, Rosario Dawson)
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Zack and Miri

DUNNO:
Evening with Kevin Smith
Evening Harder
Jersey Girl
Amistad

Spade: The Real Snake
21st June 09, 09:56 PM
Clerks
Clerks II
Mallrats
Dogma
Evening with Kevin Smith
Evening Harder
Chasing Amy
Zack and Miri
Jersey Girl

Dagon Akujin
22nd June 09, 12:14 AM
#1: Anything with Professor Snape---

http://ci.matthieu.free.fr/KS/dogma.jpg

Last on the List: Anything with J-Lo--

http://theglamourouslife.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/j_lo_versace_dress_01.jpg

socratic
23rd June 09, 08:31 AM
Haven't seen Jersey Girl, Zack + Miri or the interviews but everything else I saw of his I enjoyed. Chasing Amy was a very different style, so at first I found it a little jarring compared to what I was expecting, but in the end I enjoyed it.

Clerks 2 was freakin' awesome. "She has a mouth troll, too, doesn't she?"

honesty
23rd June 09, 08:48 AM
My basic take on Kevin Smith films are: funny, but basically shit.

Kiko
23rd June 09, 03:57 PM
I loved Dogma... if I'm in the right mood, I can laugh at Jay & Silent Bob. The rest is kinda stupid.

cuatro76
26th June 09, 07:46 PM
I actually enjoy the "Evening with Kevin Smith" stuff as much if not more that his films. He is one of the best story tellers around.

I'd rate his movies in this order:
Clerks
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Zack and Miri
Clerks !!
Mall Rats
Jersey Girl

The Clerks Animated stuff is great too. I remember ABC only aired 2 episodes before pulling the plug.

socratic
27th June 09, 06:36 AM
I really enjoyed both Clerks 1 and 2, but I'll admit Clerks 2 is an entirely different animal to its predecessor. One of the impressive things about Clerks 1 is how little budget went into making it, and what little budget that did go in was straight out of Kevin's pocket... And his credit card debt. There's a reason why it was in black and white... Two reasons, actually. 1. He couldn't afford colour and 2. To hide the fact that, the store? Was actually Kevin's old work, and they let him film at night for old time's sake.