PDA

View Full Version : Mission: .....men..... Cruise to do M:I4, world yawns.

Spade: The Real Snake
18th June 09, 05:14 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gGnPJAnY2JPM_x1AxPKgJLIXIzjQD98TAFG01

Tom Cruise and J.J. Abrams have chosen to accept another impossible mission.Cruise and Abrams have signed on to produce a fourth installment of the "Mission: Impossible" franchise for Paramount. Abrams directed Cruise's last outing as covert operative Ethan Hunt in 2006's "Mission: Impossible III."

While they have set 2011 as a target release date, it's still unknown if Cruise will star again or if Abrams will return to direct. According to studio spokeswoman Katie Martin Kelley, Cruise and Abrams are only attached as producers at this point.

It would mark a reunion for Cruise and Paramount after the studio cut the actor loose from a long-term development deal in 2006

Why?

After Star Trek, he has a bunch of stuff in development, including another Star Trek and The Dark Tower. Dammit boy, get yer ass back to Cloverfield and not this Tom Cruise shit.

The last MI sucked balls, anyhow and the second one was decent in as much as John Woo touched it.

WarPhalange
18th June 09, 05:18 PM
I liked the first one.

18th June 09, 05:23 PM
I liked the first one.

The first one was decent.
That being said, Abrams is wasting his and our time with this.

Shawarma
18th June 09, 05:27 PM
And he will make more money off it than you will see in your pitiful existence.

Mediocrity sells.

Zendetta
18th June 09, 05:29 PM
Abrams directed Cruise's last outing

If only.

But yeah, MI:2 was awesome.

18th June 09, 05:32 PM
If only.

But yeah, MI:2 was awesome.

It was on TV recently and I went back and watched it.

Woo made the movie. Dougray Scott (who I cannot help but think of as "ORIGINAL WOLVERINE") was good and Thandie Newton was hot. Ving Rhames is funny and....well all of them overshadow Cruise, who was supposed to be the main focus.

Zendetta
18th June 09, 05:34 PM
The martial arts scenes were pretty tight, though. Some real muay thai moves in there IIRC.

mrblackmagic
18th June 09, 07:20 PM
John Woo totally phoned it.

theotherserge
18th June 09, 09:32 PM
as long as there is a slo-mo scene with doves, I'm in...

Zendetta
18th June 09, 11:41 PM
The doves were there.

Any of y'all city slickers ever eat dove?

Real fucking tasty, I tell ya whut.

mrblackmagic
19th June 09, 10:56 AM
Abrams directed the last MI movie. I guess their going to give him the Hellboy treatment since he's all famous now. LOL.

Ajamil
19th June 09, 03:13 PM
Back the fuck up.

After Star Trek, he has a bunch of stuff in development, including another Star Trek and The Dark Tower. Dammit boy, get yer ass back to Cloverfield and not this Tom Cruise shit.

More info. Now.

19th June 09, 03:45 PM
http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2009/4/29/jj-abrams-says-dark-tower-may-follow-lost.html

Ajamil
20th June 09, 03:13 PM
Off to spread rep around so's I can give more to Snake. Thanks for this.

Edit: Just thought about trying to adapt this to screen. Like the first book, what would you even put in the movie. So much is character development which never translates well. Otherwise you have Roland killing a whole town, meeting Jake, losing Jake, then going to sleep in the boneyard.

I dunno - I suppose it's enough for a movie, but it would have to be stretched and it would be painful. But it'd be worth it to share the story with bookless people.

20th June 09, 03:58 PM
Have you read the Marvel comic series?

Shawarma
20th June 09, 04:30 PM
Why is the Dark Tower so popular? I read the first book and tried reading a comic book version once. A confusing, poorly written mess.

20th June 09, 05:10 PM
It encompasses several different genres. Western, Horror, Sci-Fi...kind like Clint Eastwood doing LOTR.

Ajamil
21st June 09, 01:47 PM
Have you read the Marvel comic series?

I've read a number of them, mostly the ones dealing with his childhood and the Big Coffin Hunters.

Why is the Dark Tower so popular? I read the first book and tried reading a comic book version once. A confusing, poorly written mess.

I like King's writing, and I've read a lot of his works. The Dark Tower is sort of a super-arc over all his works, and knowing those correlations was an added bonus.

That said, I can very easily slip past hindrances of author to get into a story (or director and actor for that matter - I liked Daredevil because, well, I like Daredevil). Roland was such a confusing character, he was a pitiable ubermensch. I wanted his journey to end not because it would save anything or change the world for the better, but so he could rest.

It was such an interesting setup for me: the great battles were over, the world had decayed and didn't need its heroes anymore. You get snippets throughout the book of the days before, but never enough for a full picture - like the idea of memory itself was being lost rather than the memories. It was roland's sheer force of will that kept the story going; he drew in people to help him, even people to oppose him.

It's kinda like that Twilight Zone episode where the spacemen keep trying to leave the alien planet, eventually realize they crashed the first time, and were ghosts, but the captain refused to believe it and so they keep trying and trying and it gets them nowhere.