PDA

View Full Version : The Art of the 'Group Picnic' (no, its not an orgy)

Harpy
16th June 09, 06:55 PM
Many of Austen's novels use picnics and outdoor outings as scenarios where her main characters are able to steer one another towards greater awareness of their own hearts and opportunities to communicate in private (sometimes these chances lead to further misunderstanding or 'crossed-wires' which create comedy, tension and an air of anticipation).

We, the readers, are also able to view the interactions of the characters in a more 'free' setting where they are not as restricted as they may be at a formal dinner or ball. This gives us a sense of intimacy and partiality to certain characters which of course aids in engaging us more deeply into their world.

Recipe for Austen picnic:

1. Group of 6-10 friends and acquaintances
2. Scenic setting with areas of interest where small groups or 'couples' can venture to for purposes of adventure, romance or private conversation
3. Two or three bicycles for adventurous picknickers who want to take some air (or put some distance between themselves and the group)
4. A few blankets and parasols for the comfort of the group

I'd like to leave this thread open for ideas of the best picnic food recipes for our resident Sociociders.

Beverages - cider, champagne, juice, water (there shall be no ales or spirits allowed).

Steve
16th June 09, 09:30 PM
(there shall be no ales or spirits allowed).

Fuck that.

f4n4n
16th June 09, 10:23 PM
Had one of those, well actually a few. Some of the more recent ones in Central Park and more of a BBQ type of thing on Sunday this week. (Though it was kind of bound to the house for obvious reasons)

I have to say those events are always a great time to be had and they do give opportunity to bond or just mingle. The informal setting makes people relax and the food provides distraction if a conversation ebbs. The later it gets, the more people move together, sometimes for the cold or because they feel more comfortable.

Important things:
1) Enough food, nothing kills it more than not having enough food
2) A great variety of said food, some people are picky eaters, account for that, they can ruin your day!
3) Utilities like plates/napkins etc.
4) A good mix of "people who know each other" and now folks
5) Dessert, never underestimate the power of a good dessert!

Harpy
16th June 09, 10:32 PM
Tell your mom she's invited to the picnic Steve (rude boy).

I'll be serving Cherry Tomato and Ricotta puff pastries with a nicely chilled Moscato.

Ajamil
16th June 09, 11:14 PM
Are these specifically for the picnic, or for the resulting social arrangement? Because isn't this filled by cook-outs, hang-outs, fairs, etc? My old group of friends used to do this same thing sitting in front of the cafe.

I suppose bars as well, but I hate those places.

Harpy
16th June 09, 11:22 PM
Picnics are not 'fairs' where the lower class and carnies hang out. Cafes do not count. Nature is the thing here, bicycle riding, a game of charades all while lolling artfully on picnic blankets etc.

No Austen heroine would be caught dead in company that could bring her into disrepute.

Ajamil
17th June 09, 12:36 AM
Don't confuse locale with activity. Nature might be the thing, but for many nature isn't as available as it used to be.

In any case, games certainly should be there. I'm a mean croquet player, as well as card and board games of all sorts and sizes. Games were where my family's attention has always been. You get us together and we bowl, we puzzle, we roll dice, we shuffle.

Harpy
17th June 09, 12:38 AM
My family vs. yours. You bring the napkins.

f4n4n
17th June 09, 12:47 AM
I know I am getting over competitive but can I bring my BJJ family and we do some kind of grappling competition?
Oh and games are a bad Idea, I beat my girl in Wii tennis the other day (Did I mention I get competitive?) in quite a straight fashion, she was not happy for a while. But it was fun watching her, she actually jumps and strafes and all that stuff you should do.
On the other hand, the guys kind of had fun playing Resident Evil chronicles and there was a significant "ohhh" when the first girl set out to drive home.

Lets say games can be fun but be aware of the EGO!

Harpy
17th June 09, 12:51 AM
Wrestling is for gentleman only and not to be done outdoors as if you are a commoner. By the way f4n4n, when you say 'BJJ family' do you mean you and your boy-friend Raz?

Acceptable physical activities that ladies and gentlemen can participate in at a picnic would be croquet, archery, charades, brisk strolls, carriage races, bicycling, boating etc. Competition is encouraged in good spirit (no pulling hair, sulking and the like).

Ajamil
17th June 09, 12:54 AM
Frisbee? Hackey sack?

Edit: Wow, I can't believe how much of a hippy I sounded right there.

Harpy
17th June 09, 12:59 AM
In the modern day those are acceptable up to a limit. A young lady should beware of showing too much ankle and leg if playing hackey sack.

I'm waiting for you to suggest 'making daisy chains' before passing judgement.

Ajamil
17th June 09, 01:23 AM
I'm waiting for you to suggest 'making daisy chains' before passing judgement.

You said no orgies. It's right there in the title.

Neildo
17th June 09, 03:04 AM
Fuck that.

word *fistbump*

philippinos have perfected the group picnic. except when the person that's supposed to bring the rice forgets to turn the ricemaker on. that's always good for laughs though.

jnp
17th June 09, 10:01 AM
Holy fuck, how many more days in this month are there?

You have a lot of preconceived notions of what people should be doing if they want to have a picnic Lily. I suspect you spend a great deal of time fussing about how things should be, rather than just enjoying yourself in these cases.

Neildo
17th June 09, 10:44 AM
jnpwned

f4n4n
17th June 09, 12:01 PM
Wrestling is for gentleman only and not to be done outdoors as if you are a commoner. By the way f4n4n, when you say 'BJJ family' do you mean you and your boy-friend Raz?
Well Raz is part of my BJJ family and thus my brother in Rolling (in arms would sound strange I guess).
But I was more talking this family:
http://www.f4n4n.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/lotus-graduation/img_0237.jpg

Kiko
17th June 09, 03:20 PM
Group Picnic? Can you have one alone? Dunno.

Anyhow, this came to mind....not quite a picnic but it fits!

M1-NpyaOWV0

Spade: The Real Snake
17th June 09, 03:26 PM
Shit, if I knew it was gonna be that kind of party.....
smrJ7459pj0

Harpy
17th June 09, 05:15 PM
philippinos have perfected the group picnic. except when the person that's supposed to bring the rice forgets to turn the ricemaker on. that's always good for laughs though.

I don't know why I find that so funny.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
17th June 09, 06:55 PM
i've had a hankering for a legit picnic lately, like with blankets and baskets n' shit
maybe with edibles tho

Harpy
17th June 09, 06:57 PM
Okay, lets do this. Best picnic had by a Sociocider with photos as proof on this thread will win a prize.

I'll post my Austen compendium to the winner along with a signed photo.

17th June 09, 07:02 PM
Photos of Dick in the Mashed Potatoes wins +rep

billy sol hurok
17th June 09, 07:22 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2649/mashedpotatoes.jpg

Harpy
17th June 09, 09:39 PM
You have a lot of preconceived notions of what people should be doing if they want to have a picnic Lily. I suspect you spend a great deal of time fussing about how things should be, rather than just enjoying yourself in these cases.

Preconceived notions? More like how to do things right.

When I host parties, picnics, dinners etc. I make the effort to make my friends, family, guests get in the mood of the event. I'll go all out with the food, setting, music, colours, room temperatures, have areas set up at home or outside where everyone will find their brand of entertainment (fitting for the event). I'll break out matching cutlery, silver, china dependent on the occassion.

The one thing I don't do is cook (other than presentation, prep and small side dishes...oh except I always make dessert). I always cater or get my husband to do the cooking (he's awesome).

Hosting a party is not about enjoying oneself, it is about making sure every single one of your guests is catered for and is duly entertained, happy, well-fed. One learns these things from an early age if brought up in such an environment, so its really no 'fuss'. Its ingrained.

There are 13 more days in June.

theotherserge
17th June 09, 10:53 PM
Its been awhile since we had a picnic, quite a bother-what- with all the basketing and baguettes wrapped in cloth and squeezing lemons for lemonade and such. It seems to take a fortnight to prepare and then you are there and the food is gone in an instant!

Such a bore...

Harpy
17th June 09, 10:58 PM
Leave the organising and catering to me, I need two days to prepare and expect my guests to turn up happy and with the desire of having a capital time. You just turn up in those skin-tight breeches.

theotherserge
17th June 09, 11:02 PM
A capital assertion my dear! Leave such qualities to the most qualified!

In the meanwhile, I have some single-stick lessons and engagement in manly head-chancery to attend!

cheers!

Harpy
17th June 09, 11:16 PM
serge - please be yourself, this is painful to watch. Keep the cute avatar though :)

Ajamil
17th June 09, 11:22 PM
Cute? He looks like he's got deoderant in his mouth.

Harpy
17th June 09, 11:28 PM
Really? His eyes are telling me that he's going to be coming over to teach someone a good, hard lesson *fans self*

theotherserge
17th June 09, 11:38 PM
Really? His eyes are telling me that he's going to be coming over to teach someone a good, hard lesson *fans self*
yeah, this Victoriana crap is for assholez...come over here and bend over eh babe?!?

Kiko
18th June 09, 05:06 AM
Keep this up and I may demand a Renn Faire month!

billy sol hurok
18th June 09, 08:21 AM
Oh, put yer skirts back down, already.

Beach + sammiches + lemonade + vodka + salty snacks = picnic of the highest order.

And if you don't have time to stop for sammiches and salty snacks, well, that's okay too.

Anything more is Martha-Stewart wankery (no relation to William Makepeace).

theotherserge
18th June 09, 08:56 AM
Keep this up and I may demand a Renn Faire month!
Oh lawd! Chaucher vs Shakespeare!

Kiko
19th June 09, 04:20 PM
Bodices for everyone!

Toby Christensen
12th July 09, 08:49 AM
Awesome. This sounds like a recipe for me eating all the food, getting drunk and cheating during the wrestling competition, telling people to "get a sense of humour" when they express their disgust and there is much shrieking from the women and spluttering from the men and ultimately I get armbarred, headlocked and sat on to restrain me.

Then wonder why nobody cahms to mah picnic some time later, my dreams of reverse pandaing Lily crushed.

12th July 09, 11:21 AM
Toby's idea of a picnic is his medications mashed up in potato salad instead of applesauce.

Toby Christensen
12th July 09, 03:19 PM
I don't eat applesauce.

12th July 09, 06:03 PM
Clever boy.
I will alert the warden and suggest he use porridge or pudding.

Toby Christensen
12th July 09, 11:14 PM
We don't have "puddings" very much as such over here.

But I told the bloke a few cells over "whisper whisper... He looks like Kurt Russell"

Prepare to get broraped by a man who smells like old spoilt cheese Snake.

After your years of civility to me, the least I could do is unleash the ward homopervert on you.

12th July 09, 11:18 PM
You would leave the loving arms of your twin brother the manloving lawyer to make a run at me, Tobes?

You old hound dawg, you.

But no thanks, I will be just as happy shanking you with a sharpened toothbrush and dumping your corpse in a 55g drum of phenol.

Toby Christensen
13th July 09, 12:01 AM
My brother, being the same size/general appearance as me, isn't as such.

I'm talking about 6ft5 320lb of fat and bodyhair.

I'm so courteous I even saved you some paper towel as a gag for when he rips into your waste disposal orifice.

Toby Christensen
13th July 09, 12:49 AM
Besides, as per my thread, Lily could be my "lunchbox"

Although I'd need a lot of palate cleanser to get THAT taste out of my mouth.

13th July 09, 08:16 AM
My brother, being the same size/general appearance as me, isn't as such.

I'm talking about 6ft5 320lb of fat and bodyhair.
Sounds like your dream date.
Pity that when I plant a pickaxe in the base of his skull.

I'm so courteous I even saved you some paper towel as a gag for when he rips into your waste disposal orifice.
Save it.
You can be a good little bitch and clean up afterwards and maybe daddy will sell you to the ABs for a deck of smokes.

Toby Christensen
13th July 09, 05:04 PM
Have you ever been in even a very light security ward?

I CAN use a knife and have wanted to, but they're standard cutlery ones.

(Use one when THREATENED).

13th July 09, 05:08 PM
Have you ever been in even a very light security ward?

I CAN use a knife and have wanted to, but they're standard cutlery ones.

(Use one when THREATENED).

LOL
White Dinner Jacket with extra-long arms so Toby might hug himself all day.
PLZ

Toby Christensen
13th July 09, 05:27 PM
Strait Jackets aren't used any more.

Plus I don't really like hugs most of the time.

13th July 09, 05:35 PM
Strait Jackets aren't used any more.

Plus I don't really like hugs most of the time.

Zip ties are all the rage.

Toby Christensen
13th July 09, 06:28 PM
They aren't used either.

14th July 09, 08:49 AM
They aren't used either.

Good.
I hope they use rusted old rail road spikes to pin your fucking hands into the ancient limestone bricks of the decrepit old dungeon in which you are housed.

Toby Christensen
14th July 09, 06:08 PM
Your imagination really needs to turn to game or novella writing. I like your style.