PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Mexican food?

Virus
7th June 09, 06:16 AM
Nachos are the only thing that doesn't fall to bits when you try to eat it. Tacos? One bite and the shell cracks in half and the contents fall out the bottom. Who invented this food?

Neildo
7th June 09, 06:23 AM
americans.

soft tacos and soft shelled burritos are pretty damn awesome though. hard shelled tacos are retarded.

Cullion
7th June 09, 06:24 AM
I had my first real Mexican food recently at a small restaurant called 'The Mission' in Oxford, run by mexicans. Their Burritos didn't fall apart, were reasonably priced and the vegetables looked reasonably fresh and the meat didn't look synthetic.

The sauces weren't as spicey as I was expecting, but tasty enough. Inexpensive considering the use of real ingredients and portion size. Not highly developed cuisine so far, but good value snack food.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th June 09, 06:25 AM
hard shell tacos are a bad joke that needs to stop. you live in australia though, what the fuck do you know about genuine beaner food?

Neildo
7th June 09, 06:27 AM
i bet a kangaroo burrito would be pretty good.

0dWlH0No_6Q

bob
7th June 09, 06:34 AM
hard shell tacos are a bad joke that needs to stop. you live in australia though, what the fuck do you know about genuine beaner food?

This much is true. The Mexican food in California and the South West is far better than anything in Australia.

danno
7th June 09, 09:00 AM
you mean it isn't this?

I3KXaF2_UzU

Steve
7th June 09, 09:53 AM
The most authentic Mexican tacos I've ever had were made with a double layer of two small soft tortillas. About two thirds the size of what you get in the chain restaurants, and without the overload of worthless greens/cheese.

Note to Cali folks: I grew up visiting my dad in AZ for half my childhood so I'm not just blowing smoke.

Spade: The Real Snake
7th June 09, 11:35 AM
faggot haven't you ever heard of the wonders that is the fajita?

they bring a sizzling pan full of goodness to your table, hand you a stack of flours and you build it yourself.

There is nothing, I mean nothing, like getting some good authentic Mexican food, man. Damn.....I am wanting a burrito now.

Cullion
7th June 09, 11:40 AM
Is Indian (as in South Asian) food widespread in the US? I'm sure you can get it in the big cities, but would people in smaller cities or outlying towns know what curries taste like ?

I get a vague impression that Indian food fills the same niche for brits that mexican food does for Americans.

Shawarma
7th June 09, 11:44 AM
Made by a bunch of dirty foreigners who should be shipped back home pronto?

7th June 09, 11:51 AM
Is Indian (as in South Asian) food widespread in the US? I'm sure you can get it in the big cities, but would people in smaller cities or outlying towns know what curries taste like ?
It depends on the area.
Some of the restaurants do well, some don't.

I get a vague impression that Indian food fills the same niche for brits that mexican food does for Americans.
Do you have "fast food" Indian food?
I am going to say "no" from this standpoint:

much of the popularized American Mexican food is designed and served to be eaten on the run or by laboring workers. Tacos, tamales, burritos can be served and eaten in wraps off lunch wagons or taken away from taquerias.

It would be kinda hard to get an order of Chicken Korma or Vegitable Navratan to go and eat it at a job site.

WarPhalange
7th June 09, 11:54 AM
The deal with Mexican food is that it's fucking delicious, cheap, and easy to make, that's what. If you don't like it, shove a knife up your ass.

Nachos are the only thing that doesn't fall to bits when you try to eat it. Tacos? One bite and the shell cracks in half and the contents fall out the bottom. Who invented this food?

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

If you have an old taco shell then yes, it will crack in half. A fresh one is crunchy and will only crack where you've bitten it. Secondly, there are soft-shell tacos you might want to look into, since you have the dexterity of a five-year-old.

EuropIan
7th June 09, 12:03 PM
Virus knows more about Mexican food than any of you fools.

He was the inventor of guacamole after all.

Steve
7th June 09, 12:11 PM
pwnt.

Cullion
7th June 09, 12:16 PM
Do you have "fast food" Indian food?
I am going to say "no" from this standpoint:

much of the popularized American Mexican food is designed and served to be eaten on the run or by laboring workers. Tacos, tamales, burritos can be served and eaten in wraps off lunch wagons or taken away from taquerias.

It would be kinda hard to get an order of Chicken Korma or Vegitable Navratan to go and eat it at a job site.

Inexpensive indian food ordered for delivery or collection much like chinese takeout is widespread, you could eat it out of the carton with a plastic fork. I think kebabs fill the role you describe more though. Cheap, spicey, easily eaten out of a wrap, usually served from a van.

They're more the kind of thing you eat late at night after a drinking session though.

7th June 09, 12:23 PM
Inexpensive indian food ordered for delivery or collection much like chinese takeout is widespread, you could eat it out of the carton with a plastic fork.
True.
Essentially taco means little bite and is used to reference a "sandwich", or is used that way in the Mexican families I know.
Primarily we are speaking of drive through or lunch truck finger foods.
This is the popularization of the Mexican Food here, which has elevated it past Chinese or Italian food, which are reserved more for a take home food.

I think kebabs fill the role you describe more though.
Do they have Indian food lunch wagons which visit worksites in the UK?

Cullion
7th June 09, 12:30 PM
True.
Essentially taco means little bite and is used to reference a "sandwich", or is used that way in the Mexican families I know.
Primarily we are speaking of drive through or lunch truck finger foods.
This is the popularization of the Mexican Food here, which has elevated it past Chinese or Italian food, which are reserved more for a take home food.

Do they have Indian food lunch wagons which visit worksites in the UK?

They exist, but Kebab vans are usually run by people from the eastern mediterranean/near east. They sometimes serve simple chicken curry over chips or as a filling a jacket potato, but mostly cheap lebanese or turkish style kebabs in nan-bread. They also usually serve western-style junkfood like burgers. Fresh chillies or red chilli sauce, or a sort of garlic mayo are common.

'Indian' food is usually served from a restaurant that does deliveries or collections, usually run by people from Pakistan, India or Bangladesh, filling the same role as chinese takeout.

FickleFingerOfFate
7th June 09, 12:39 PM
Made by a bunch of dirty foreigners who should be shipped back home pronto?

Yes!

Steve
7th June 09, 12:52 PM
I've never enjoyed Republican food.

Ajamil
7th June 09, 12:55 PM
faggot haven't you ever heard of the wonders that is the fajita?

they bring a sizzling pan full of goodness to your table, hand you a stack of flours and you build it yourself.

This. And burros, burritos are too small and I end up eating three and get stuffed.

Indian food I know is quite a bit more greasy/oily than Mexican, and the difference of spices of course. Never ate much Indian before turning veggie, so I can't really say on the meat items. Desserts are similar, sopapillas are just puris with honey, and tortillas are similar to roti. Lots of beans and rice combos. More stewing things as subjees in Indian food.

I know devotees that do this. Not many, but I bet our society could whip up some interesting fast food joints to give to the public. There's one guy who I think trips down to Berkeley...or some college in CA, I'd have to look it up.

FickleFingerOfFate
7th June 09, 12:58 PM
I've never enjoyed Republican food.

If Soylent Green was made of republicans,

it would be banned by the FDA for excessive pork.

Aphid Jones
7th June 09, 02:10 PM
I love tamales.

Cullion
7th June 09, 02:46 PM
What are tamales?

WarPhalange
7th June 09, 03:04 PM
My mom said they are delicious. My dad had a Mexican co-worker make some for him. They were shit. Mom said that's not what she had that was so delicious. Dad went and bought some tamales a few days ago. Still shit, just not as much... So I don't know.

Robot Jesus
7th June 09, 03:29 PM
I had my first real Mexican food recently at a small restaurant called 'The Mission' in Oxford, run by mexicans. Their Burritos didn't fall apart, were reasonably priced and the vegetables looked reasonably fresh and the meat didn't look synthetic.

The sauces weren't as spicey as I was expecting, but tasty enough. Inexpensive considering the use of real ingredients and portion size. Not highly developed cuisine so far, but good value snack food.

I'm Canadian so take this next paragraph with a grain of salt, this is just what I have come to understand through my readings.

like Cajun food, Mexican food has an undeserved reputation for heat. some dishes defiantly bring the fire, but most do not. however it should be noted that hot sauces are as common as salt at a table setting, so heat it up to the individual diner.

and can someone sell me which is the authentic salsa, the chunky stuff or the smooth stuff.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th June 09, 03:50 PM
My mom said they are delicious. My dad had a Mexican co-worker make some for him. They were shit. Mom said that's not what she had that was so delicious. Dad went and bought some tamales a few days ago. Still shit, just not as much... So I don't know.

Good tamales are a treat. 'round here we wait till we catch a specific guy selling them.

Cullion, it's corn meal stuffed with various combinations of meat, cheese, and chilis and wrapped in a corn husk.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th June 09, 03:52 PM
and can someone sell me which is the authentic salsa, the chunky stuff or the smooth stuff.

The authentic places around here carry both but whenever I've been over for dinner or had food prepared by the cook at work (authentic eye-talian) it's been the smooth stuff.

Aphid Jones
7th June 09, 04:27 PM
A lot of tamales are crap because the fillings are watery and poorly prepared or the wrong type of flour is used.

if you make them yourself with the instructions on the back of a bag of Masa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masa) you will enjoy your tamales.

WarPhalange
7th June 09, 04:32 PM
The ones I tried were pieces of ground meat (not even taco-quality) with some sort of potato-like dough covering it, wrapped in some inedible leaf thing.

Nothing else, and it had zero flavor.

Aphid Jones
7th June 09, 04:36 PM
The ones I tried were pieces of ground meat (not even taco-quality) with some sort of potato-like dough covering it, wrapped in some inedible leaf thing.

Nothing else, and it had zero flavor.
sounds like you ate a shitty tamal.

Was it orange/yellow or white/grey?

It should be white/grey.

The cooked masa itself isn't supposed to have much flavor, it should have a resistant texture and not be doughy/mushy though. And should be topped with copious amounts of salsa/sauce (preferably green) when served.

Aphid Jones
7th June 09, 04:53 PM
and can someone sell me which is the authentic salsa, the chunky stuff or the smooth stuff. If it tastes and looks like slightly-off marinara sauce, it's not authentic.

Beyond that it's just about being good or bad.

the best salsa, IMO, is always made with some variation of this:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/molcajete-mortar-pestle.jpg

7th June 09, 06:44 PM
What are tamales?

The tamale is like Moby Dick, the elusive white whale.
Sure *anyone* can get a boat together with a bunch of drunken fuck and make an alcohol fueled oceanic roadtrip, but only a real Seaworthy Captain knows where the whales hang out and which one is the white one.

Tamales are hard to make and easy to fuck up.
It is the culinary equivalent of nitroglycerin.
The masa needs to be sweet and plentiful, but not too much otherwise it is too corny and gritty. Good tamales have homemade masa and not storebought, but this takes much longer to prepare. REALLY good tamales use the husks from the corn dried and ground to make the masa.
The meat tender and flavorful, yet not too much or it overpowers the rest. Beef? Chicken? Pork? Fish? So many choices.
Red chili? Green Chili? Mole? So many choices.

If you are lucky, you will have a friend or a coworker or a friend of a coworker that can score you freshmade tamales. Generally they will run you a buck a tamale and be worth it.

And don't get me started on Menudo.

Neildo
7th June 09, 06:47 PM
my nicaraguan friend says the best tamale comes right out of the oven at grandmas house. everything else is shit.

if a tamale gets cold, forget it. don't even try and reheat. it's dog food.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th June 09, 06:48 PM
menudo is srs, and difficult to make. round here you know a good mexican shop by whether or not it advertises "WE DO MENUDO". they usually restrict it to certain days (i only knew of one place that did it all week, and they recently cut back to weekends only) and sell out fast

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th June 09, 06:49 PM

i've been able to reheat them in the past without much loss of flavor at all

Neildo
7th June 09, 06:52 PM
there's gotta be a trick to it. when i tried it the outer shell got all dried up and nasty.

Aphid Jones
7th June 09, 08:04 PM
there's gotta be a trick to it. when i tried it the outer shell got all dried up and nasty. If you want to reheat them in a microwave you have to use a bowl filled with a little water and covered with plastic wrap. The better way is to re-steam or use a rice cooker's steamer function.

Good tamales have homemade masa and not storebought, but this takes much longer to prepare.

Do you mean grinding the dried corn yourself, treating it, etc?

That's a fucking lot of work, my man.

Kiko
7th June 09, 08:25 PM
Chimichangas anyone? With Guacomole!

Frank White
7th June 09, 08:40 PM
my nicaraguan friend says the best tamale comes right out of the oven at grandmas house. everything else is shit.

An old Mexican lady comes by where I work every few days with homemade tamales, $6 for six. She has a gold tooth, and I would marry her if I wasn't already hitched to a lil' beaner hottie. She makes ones that have a hint of peanut butter, with chile (or is it mole).

Tanhalen21
7th June 09, 08:58 PM

My experience is that pretty much anywhere you can go you can find a half-way decent Indian place as long as you're not in some sort of hick-ass town

Steve
7th June 09, 09:15 PM
and I would marry her if I wasn't already hitched to a lil' beaner hottie

whut? Pics or it never happened.

Japuma
7th June 09, 09:23 PM
Not highly developed cuisine so far, but good value snack food.

Rick Bayless would disagree with you about the developed part... http://www.rickbayless.com/about/meetrick.html

7th June 09, 10:00 PM
whut? Pics or it never happened.

Will you take my word for it?

7th June 09, 10:00 PM
menudo is srs, and difficult to make. round here you know a good mexican shop by whether or not it advertises "WE DO MENUDO". they usually restrict it to certain days (i only knew of one place that did it all week, and they recently cut back to weekends only) and sell out fast
The places around here do it on Sunday.

HappyOldGuy
7th June 09, 10:53 PM
Depends on the town, but it's spreading fast. I live in a very indian area, so we have more indian restaurants than anything else, including regional and chaat, but north indian restaurants are popping up all over the country in the last few years. Hell there is even one at a truckstop on the 5 down in the central valley although warning to my fellow travelers, don't.

Also, mexican is more than finger food. Mole poblano is one of my alltime favorite dishes. And I love southwest/mexican breakfast. Chilaquiles, ranchero, etc.

Tanhalen21
7th June 09, 11:13 PM
Mole poblano is one of my alltime favorite dishes.

I thought Mole poblano was a sauce

HappyOldGuy
7th June 09, 11:25 PM
I thought Mole poblano was a sauce

It is. Actually a family of sauces.

Tanhalen21
7th June 09, 11:31 PM
I get the suspicion that I have never had authentic Mexican food and that the shitty run-of-the-mill Americanized Mexican food that abounds in most of the states has made it difficult for me to ever envision Mexican cuisine as anything other than a bunch of "different" dishes with the same ingredients: shitty, greasy beans and your choice of diarrhea-inducing meats wrapped in tortilla.

It's kind of sad.

Kein Haar
8th June 09, 07:44 AM
Rick Bayless would disagree with you about the developed part... http://www.rickbayless.com/about/meetrick.html

I hadn't even looked into DVRing it lately, but I remember catching a few of his shows wherein he highlighted regional dishes while actually in Mexico.

Things definately get much more interesting beyond burritos.

jnp
8th June 09, 09:51 AM
Most of what people think of as Mexican food isn't. While I love Tex-mex, it differs significantly from Mexican food.

You couldn't even find interior Mexican food at a restaurant in Austin until the early nineties.

I had a pork dish with orange mole sauce in at a small restaurant outside of Cancun on my honeymoon fourteen years ago that I still dream about, literally.

Finally, regarding tamales, they're like drugs. You can't find the good ones without the "proper" hookup.

Ajamil
8th June 09, 09:54 AM
Menudo!! Flagstaff had a restaurant that did all-you-can-eat menudo (Wednesdays I think). They made it spicy, a bit soupy, and cow stomach is pretty chewy unless they were cooking it wrong. And the cilia from the small intestine was an interesting texture on your tongue.

8th June 09, 10:16 AM
Menudo!! Flagstaff had a restaurant that did all-you-can-eat menudo (Wednesdays I think). They made it spicy, a bit soupy, and cow stomach is pretty chewy unless they were cooking it wrong. And the cilia from the small intestine was an interesting texture on your tongue.

Which one?

The one on Milton?

Ajamil
8th June 09, 12:52 PM
Oh damn, now you're asking me street names. No, it was more on the East side of town, near the USA TKD and Jazzercise building. Lemme see if Google-fu helps.

I was going to point to the area of town east of Buffalo Park hemmed in by 14th St, but now I'm wondering if I have it confused with the Mexican restaurant that was called a lady's name starting with an R (I think..Rosalita's?).

8th June 09, 01:10 PM
Oh damn, now you're asking me street names. No, it was more on the East side of town, near the USA TKD and Jazzercise building. Lemme see if Google-fu helps

I was going to point to the area of town east of Buffalo Park hemmed in by 14th St, but now I'm wondering if I have it confused with the Mexican restaurant that was called a lady's name starting with an R (I think..Rosalita's?).
how long ago?

Zendetta
8th June 09, 01:15 PM
goddam I had some good tacos last night.

We grilled carne asada and pork tnerderloin. I made guacamole and pico de gallo. We had some REALLY good gourmet corn tortillas - like twice as thick as regular ones. An lots of beer, naturally.

Urijah Faber still got his ass beat though.

Ajamil
8th June 09, 01:20 PM
how long ago?

Years, I left Flagstaff in '03.

8th June 09, 02:59 PM
Years, I left Flagstaff in '03.
LOL
Rookie.
At least BunHuggers (aka: ButtMuggers) was still there.

HappyOldGuy
8th June 09, 03:47 PM
Which reminds me. As much as I love mexican. When frybread hits the world stage, y'all are never going to want another tortilla.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th June 09, 03:51 PM
fuck frybread
you don't know food until you've eaten at eegee's

8th June 09, 03:57 PM
Which reminds me. As much as I love mexican. When frybread hits the world stage, y'all are never going to want another tortilla.

Dude.
Seriously.

CARNY FOOD.

wander up to trailer at State Fair.
"Can I get an Indian Taco (or frybread with honey and powdered sugar)"

Yatahe'....*koffkoff* into hands, grabs dough slaps it around, wipes nose, throws dough into sizzling vat of horse fat, wipes nose again, *koffkoff* here's your taco.

Stick with a sopaipilla. Or deep fried ice cream.
we have a high post Mexican restaurant here that makes Banana Tacos. Sopaipillas with carmalized fried bananas, deep fried ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate syrup and caramel.

Damn......We get one order and the three of us split it.

HappyOldGuy
8th June 09, 04:02 PM
I've never had it at a carnival, just at powwows and the like. And it was to die for.

Okay, probably literally with the cholesterol, but still, yum.

8th June 09, 04:06 PM
I've never had it at a carnival, just at powwows and the like. And it was to die for.

Okay, probably literally with the cholesterol, but still, yum.

The only time I have had frybread that wasn't disgusting was a guy at work was a 4/4 Hopi and his daughter was raising money for trip and they had an Indian Taco sale.

THAT was good, every other time....eh, not so much.

And cholesterol makes for good Judo.

Zendetta
8th June 09, 04:18 PM
And cholesterol makes for good Judo.

LOL at Sensei Dai-Hara!

Neildo
8th June 09, 05:59 PM
i had some corona with my burritos last night. that stuff is pretty terrible until you put either lemon or lime in it. i tried both and prefer lemon.

Zendetta
8th June 09, 06:04 PM
Corona with lime is PERFECT company for raw or BBQ'd oysters.

Cullion
8th June 09, 06:15 PM
Corona and lime is popular here, but I'm not really into it.

Cullion
8th June 09, 06:17 PM

I've never tried it, but it sounds like it would go straight to my thighs.

Kein Haar
10th June 09, 08:09 AM
No, what goes straight to one's thighs is me....to your wife's.

omg burn.

Zendetta
10th June 09, 11:51 AM
Speaking of "burn", real mexican food should make you feel like you are shitting molten magma the next day.

resolve
1st July 09, 12:30 AM
Obviously you don't know real mejicano food...

You are referring once again to the established "texican" or "tex-mex" tradition of putting an ungodly amount of heat and spices into traditional Mexican dishes.

1st July 09, 11:14 AM
Obviously you don't know real mejicano food...

You are referring once again to the established "texican" or "tex-mex" tradition of putting an ungodly amount of heat and spices into traditional Mexican dishes.

Yes as Mexico is such a small country, obviously the food is the same all over.

Kein Haar
1st July 09, 11:27 AM
Speaking of "burn", real mexican food should make you feel like you are shitting molten magma the next day.

Or in your case, smagma.

TM
5th July 09, 04:24 PM
This much is true. The Mexican food in California and the South West is far better than anything in Australia.
True enough but CalMex and TexMex aren't even close to real mexican food. Real Mexican food is a diverse and highly developed cuisine.

WarPhalange
5th July 09, 04:48 PM
Polish food sucks. It's so boring... :(

Zendetta
9th July 09, 11:16 PM
latkas (sp?) are good.

But, yeah, when sour cream is your cuisine's most intense flavor...

Kiko
25th July 09, 09:35 AM
I seem to have missed something here....

*hits PL with a plate of Gołąbki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go%C5%82%C4%85bki) and then places a ring of kiełbasa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielbasa) around his neck*

All caught up now...

Robot Jesus
25th July 09, 02:41 PM
Corona and lime is popular here, but I'm not really into it.

the Mexicans don't squeeze the lime

I've heard because A: it's just there to keep the flies out

and 2: because they used to use a non stainless steal cap, and the lime was used to clean off the rust from the rim

but no, the lime does not go in the beer, just on the top.

25th July 09, 06:50 PM
the Mexicans don't squeeze the lime

I've heard because A: it's just there to keep the flies out

and 2: because they used to use a non stainless steal cap, and the lime was used to clean off the rust from the rim

but no, the lime does not go in the beer, just on the top.

It goes in the neck so the beer is filtered through it.

http://k53.pbase.com/o4/52/588052/1/58952210.21april06.jpg

DAYoung
25th July 09, 07:25 PM
I still have the refrain of the Australian tourist, aghast at lime in his cerveza: ''Oi, nakkerz! Get this fuckn loim owda moi fuckn beeya.''

Steve
25th July 09, 08:37 PM
Dos Equis or Negro Modelo, lime problem solved.

Cullion
26th July 09, 09:00 AM
From what I read in this thread and what I see on the web, Mexican food looks like it's mostly native american in influence rather than Spanish. Would that be right ?

26th July 09, 09:07 AM
I still have the refrain of the Australian tourist, aghast at lime in his cerveza: ''Oi, nakkerz! Get this fuckn loim owda moi fuckn beeya.''

"OI THIS HAS LOIK VITYMIN SEE INIT N STUFF DUDNIT?"

26th July 09, 09:08 AM
From what I read in this thread and what I see on the web, Mexican food looks like it's mostly native american in influence rather than Spanish. Would that be right ?

Not entirely.

You have to realize the concept "Native American" differs from tribe to tribe within the US and "Mexican" is a combination of the indigenous "South and Central American Indians" combined with the "Spanish".

If the American Indian tribe you are referring to are hunters, or lived in a region with plenty of wild game, your "Indian food" will be meat heavy, as opposed to the agrarian "Indians" whom farmed and might have traded gourds or vegetables for meat or weavers or potters who would have traded loomware or earthware for both meat and vegetables.

That being said, it is pretty much whatever gringo buys is what they sell.

Cullion
26th July 09, 09:18 AM
By 'native american' I was thinking more the settled cultures of central america with their corn-based agriculture etc..

EuropIan
26th July 09, 09:21 AM
Maize

26th July 09, 09:22 AM
Mazola.
Corn Goodness.

Cullion
26th July 09, 09:31 AM
Maize

It's called maize here, but I thought Americans called it corn?

EuropIan
26th July 09, 09:36 AM
So do the Native Americans.

26th July 09, 09:36 AM
oh you goddamned racist

Cullion
26th July 09, 09:46 AM
yes, yes I am.

DAYoung
26th July 09, 05:49 PM
"OI THIS HAS LOIK VITYMIN SEE INIT N STUFF DUDNIT?"

Exactly.

But you misspelt 'duznt'.

Aphid Jones
26th July 09, 06:51 PM
My "Mexican food" knowledge comes from family heritage in the obscure Mexican territory known as Los Angeles.

Has anyone here heard of chilaquiles?

DAYoung
26th July 09, 07:02 PM
Nope.

Is it a kind of lapdog?

Aphid Jones
26th July 09, 07:39 PM
Nope. It's a tortilla, cheese and sauce mixture eaten alone or with burrito fixins.

DAYoung
26th July 09, 08:18 PM
I think I'd rather have the dog.

26th July 09, 08:24 PM

You are just insatiable, aren't you?

DAYoung
26th July 09, 08:28 PM
Sorry. It's the swine flu talking.

Oink. Snort. Oink.

26th July 09, 08:35 PM
can I offer you a javelina?

DAYoung
26th July 09, 08:43 PM
Umm.

Wot r it?

26th July 09, 08:49 PM
NtY2JNoZ4ZQ

DAYoung
26th July 09, 09:35 PM
I see.

Tasty?

Ajamil
26th July 09, 09:43 PM

Covered.

with burrito fixins.
How is this not just a poor man's burrito or a slightly wealthier man's quesadilla?

Dunno about javelina being tasty (most likely), but they are mean SOBs. I'm as frightened by a pack of those at night as a pack of dogs.

DAYoung
26th July 09, 09:47 PM
Wuss.

Real men used them as paperweights.

Ajamil
26th July 09, 10:06 PM
I'm chocked full of veggies! They look at me like a Scottsman hungry for hagus.

DAYoung
26th July 09, 10:30 PM
Ah. Aren't you 9'5'' or thereabouts? You'd have reach advantage.

(I suggest not pulling guard.)

26th July 09, 11:14 PM
How is this not just a poor man's burrito or a slightly wealthier man's quesadilla?
It is closer to a rich man's nachos.

Dunno about javelina being tasty (most likely), but they are mean SOBs. I'm as frightened by a pack of those at night as a pack of dogs.
I've known some bowhunters, but never tried the charred dead flesh.

Aphid Jones
27th July 09, 01:04 AM
Covered.

Chilaquiles or burrito fixins?

burrito fixins are burrito fillings with no tortilla, true. But Chilaquiles are a different dish entirely and can be used as a burrito filling themselves.

I'll give you the rundown of my family recipe with a few secret twists left out:

1. Fry tortillas or buy tortilla chips if you're lazy.

2. saute a base of chiles, onions, olives, tomatoes and spices in a wide pan.

3. Pile layers of sauce, cheese and tortillas on top.

4. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally. Your result will be a very delicious mush that you can serve on a plate as part of a "naked burrito", as a dip with chips, or as a burrito filling.