PDA

View Full Version : The worlds most perfect food... the Scallop

Japuma
5th June 09, 10:30 AM
Most people have had scallops lots of times, but only a very few have had the privelege of having a perfectly cooked scallop. I'm here to change that... How to make the perfect seared scallop.

-Start with fresh sea scallops... Frozen can be ok, but if they are water added stay the fuck away.
-Remove the leg, or what ever that little hangy muscle thing is.
-PAT DRY! I cannot emphasize enough how important this is.
-Salt and pepper the scallops
-Add to frying pan equal parts butter and oil (1-2 TBS each should be good)
-When butter just starts to smoke put in scallops, DO NOT OVERCROWD, they shouldn't be touching.
-Allow to cook for approx. 1 1/2 min. then flip allowing to cook for another 1 1/2 mins.
- Serve immediatly

These scallops should be just above raw in the middle which is the perfect service for them.

If you can make a good risotto serve these on top. <--WARNING!: this dish has been known to cause spontanious orgasm.

Kein Haar
5th June 09, 12:29 PM
Japuma,

Have you been reading my diary? wtf.

When I got to Costco, when I want to treat myself for a couple weeks, I buy a ribeye roast and bag of scallops.

It makes me feel so princely.

And this is how I do it!

I do add the garlic, thyme, and butter at the end though. Not unlike the steaks.

jnp
5th June 09, 12:46 PM
I do add the garlic, thyme, and butter at the end though. Not unlike the steaks.
Same here only we stick to garlic and butter. Mince the garlic and add it in the final minute so that it saute's quickly.

That's been one of our favorite special dinners for years now.

I should ask my wife for her ruby red trout with breadcrumb encrusted chevre over field greens recipe. Healthy and delicious, like my wife.

KO'd N DOA
5th June 09, 12:52 PM
Scallops are simply amazing. But I will eat all shell fish in moderation.

Japuma
5th June 09, 12:57 PM
Same here only we stick to garlic and butter. Mince the garlic and add it in the final minute so that it saute's quickly.

That's been one of our favorite special dinners for years now.

I should ask my wife for her ruby red trout with breadcrumb encrusted chevre over field greens recipe. Healthy and delicious, like my wife.

Mmm trout... The best way i've ever had trout was a cold smoking with green aspen branches. Smoke'em til their eyeballs pop. Peel and eat. <--- this is one of the best leftovers i've ever had as well.

not mine, but looks good...
http://www.freshfishonline.com.au/images/Smoked_Trout_Fresh.jpg

Japuma
5th June 09, 01:04 PM
Scallops are simply amazing. But I will eat all shell fish in moderation.

Aye, I feel sorry for all the members of the tribe who can't partake...

Robot Jesus
5th June 09, 01:15 PM
i wrap mine in prosciutto and pan fry, makes a good app.

Zendetta
5th June 09, 01:44 PM
^^^ oh hell yeah.

I was gonna say "wrap 'em in bacon", but prosciutto ups the ante.

Cullion
5th June 09, 07:48 PM
They're nice wrapped in parma ham.

bob
5th June 09, 11:58 PM
Why on earth would you want to wrap a scallop in pig for the love of Neptune? Scallops have a fairly delicate flavour which would be overpowered by the pig. It's like Oysters Kilpatrick - the oysters for people who don't really like oysters.

Steve
6th June 09, 12:24 AM
Because bacon/pig is awesome? I'll compromise with you, bs. I'll have mine on the side, not wrapping a thing.

Robot Jesus
6th June 09, 01:12 AM
the key is to not use too much, just enough to cover them on the round side.

Kiko
6th June 09, 09:18 AM
Gently sauteed with garlic and white wine, plz! In a cream sauce is good too..

not crispy in milk, btw!

Cullion
6th June 09, 03:44 PM
Why on earth would you want to wrap a scallop in pig for the love of Neptune? Scallops have a fairly delicate flavour which would be overpowered by the pig. It's like Oysters Kilpatrick - the oysters for people who don't really like oysters.

Parma ham is very finely sliced, mild in flavour and slightly sweet. It's a good compliment in the way that smoked bacon or a lot of thicker-cut stronger flavoured hams wouldn't be.

Also, serving pork and shellfish together and then carefully watching your guests reactions is a good way of telling which of your guests is secretly Jewish. Just ask the Spanish.