PDA

View Full Version : One night in Bangkok - RIP David Carradine

Ajamil
4th June 09, 11:27 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE5534TM20090604

BANGKOK (Reuters) - U.S. actor David Carradine, who starred as the wandering monk in the long-running Kung Fu television series, has died in Bangkok, the U.S. embassy said on Thursday.
Embassy officials did not have any details on how the actor, who has more recently had roles in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill films, died.
"I can confirm that David Carradine passed away in Bangkok. We extend our condolences to his family," one official told Reuters.

I can only imagine that the great Grasshopper met his match at the hands of Kung-fu warlords from somewhere East of Pittsburg [/Rocko's Modern Life referrence]

OZZ
4th June 09, 11:46 AM
The report I just read stated that Carradine was found hanged and that it did not appear he had been assaulted..
I am sure some conspiracy theorist's will crawl out of the woodwork on this one. But the truth is, Carradine was a very moody guy and some down time may have gotten the better of him , unfortunately.
RIP

Sun Wukong
4th June 09, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a bad movie plot.

What a way to go. Nothing unusual about dying in a hotel... in Thailand... with no other supporting information.

Sometimes you kill the hooker, sometimes the hooker kills you. It's the circle of life.

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/04/obit.david.carradine/index.html)

OZZ
4th June 09, 11:48 AM
Thread already started, mods , please merge..

Sun Wukong
4th June 09, 11:48 AM
damn it. I just posted this as a new thread.

WarPhalange
4th June 09, 11:55 AM
Wow. I don't know if I in general liked him in movies/TV or not, but it's sad to see him go. Kind of like Mr. T in a way, where he's not really the best, but when you see him in a movie you go "YEAH! THAT'S DAVID FUCKING CARRADINE!"

Yiktin Voxbane
4th June 09, 11:59 AM
Worth questioning Uma Thurman ?

JohnnyCache
4th June 09, 12:00 PM
five steps from desk?

Sun Wukong
4th June 09, 12:04 PM
He's no Mr. T.

OZZ
4th June 09, 12:07 PM
His kung Fu sucked..but I liked him as an actor..

Yiktin Voxbane
4th June 09, 12:07 PM
*Movie reference*

*Glib Comment*

I'm done .

Shawarma
4th June 09, 12:22 PM
Can Uma Thurman account for here whereabouts at the time of his death?

WarPhalange
4th June 09, 12:23 PM
*Movie reference*

*Glib Comment*

I'm done .

Yeah, seriously.

Steve
4th June 09, 12:24 PM
Damn, RIP. And now the Legend Continues no more (loved that show when it first aired, so much cheesy goodness).

Truculent Sheep
4th June 09, 01:35 PM
It does sound rather like auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong. I wonder if there was another person in the room. A poor end for a bona fide star anyway.

Mr. Mantis
4th June 09, 03:14 PM
I never liked him. But I doubt there will be a conspiracy for kung fu guys to take him out. He never claimed to even know kung fu when he did the show, and he never made statements that he was the best or anything like that to the best of my knowledge. Unlike Bruce Lee...

Cullion
4th June 09, 03:27 PM
I once bought a friend a talking-book of 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac read by Carradine. He did it justice.

mrblackmagic
4th June 09, 04:11 PM
It's kinda sketch.

Harpy
4th June 09, 07:51 PM
I didn't click on this thread thinking it was just about a movie until I read the news pages online. Damn. RIP Carradine.

OZZ
4th June 09, 07:57 PM
His agent is claiming the death was accidental, so maybe the auto -erotic asphyxiation- with -a -whore thing is true...

danno
4th June 09, 08:07 PM
hey, it's happened before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hutchence).

Toby Christensen
4th June 09, 09:00 PM
The "Kung Fu" series was embarrassing, "Kill Bill" was brilliant. A sudden and unfortunate passing.

RIP.

socratic
4th June 09, 09:42 PM
:(

I really liked him in Kung Fu and Kill Bill. I think I've seen him in some more movies but I don't remember.

:( :( :(

ICY
4th June 09, 11:32 PM
I watched "Kung Fu, The Legend Continues" as a kid and liked it then, but watching it as an adult, it's fucking horrible.

I'm just glad he made "Big Stan", which, if you haven't seen it, WTF are you doing, watching it right fucking now!

OZZ
5th June 09, 10:38 AM
The Legend Continues was pretty bad..there are a few good episodes, but it was a sad follow-up to the original show -which is considered a classic.
They filmed Legend Continues in Toronto and I heard a variety of stories from people who worked on set over the years about Carradine, some good, some not so good.
If you want to see Carradine in a cool role - check out his character in Lone Wolf McQuade - he's a bad ass kung fu criminal in that one.Well, it seemed like it when I watched it many years ago, anyways..
But Kill Bill is probably his best role. I am glad Tarantino gave him the opportunity to end his career with dignity.

Zendetta
5th June 09, 01:41 PM
He's also in Hell Ride, cool neo-grindhouse biker flick with lots of blood and boobs.

OZZ
5th June 09, 02:07 PM
Another Cult flick he did that is kind of neat is one called ' The Warrior And The Sorceress' - a mixture of sci fi fantasy ..lots of swordplay in that one and a high body count.

Zendetta
5th June 09, 03:47 PM
and a chick with four tits!

rsobrien
8th June 09, 08:28 PM
I really liked him on Western Tech on the History Channel

OZZ
9th June 09, 02:59 PM
Ah yes, now all the ex wives and ex girlfriends come out of the woodwork..

Carradine's ex-wives recall unusual sexual proclivities
June 9, 2009, 10:43 AM EST
MSN Entertainment

Late actor David Carradine had always been curious about unusual forms of erotica, his third wife said in a recent interview. His fourth wife concurred.

"There was a dark side to David, there was a very intense side to David," Carradine's fourth wife, Marina Andrerson, told Access Hollywood. "People around him know that."

In her divorce papers, which were published on TheSmokingGun.com last week, she alleged that a major issue was,"...the continuation of abhorrent and deviant sexual behavior which was potentially deadly."

Another ex-wife told a similar story to Radar Online, though she seemed to react more lightly than Anderson to Carradine's alleged predilections.

Gail Jensen, who married the "Kung Fu" star in 1986, recalled how Carradine often tied himself up in their bedroom and living room using belts and neckties, had a variety of piercings and enjoyed horseback riding bareback in speedos.

But in the 15 years they were together, Jenson stressed that she never felt he intended to put himself in danger, he never tied anything around his neck, and he never tried to asphyxiate himself. She added that he would tie himself up while in swim trunks--not in the nude.

"He did like to tie himself up," she acknowledged in the short video interview. "He told me it was a form of meditation because of all the pressure on his life. He'd tie himself up and relax. To me it was a little weird but our love was deep and we travelled all over the world together and he was always a wonderful man."

She also recounted memories of some more uncommon self-gratifying activities, like a habit of submerging himself under the water in the family pool.

"One time in particular, he was in the swimming pool and he'd just sit there and float until he'd go underneath the water and then wake up and be ok," Jenson said. "I think it was part of his getting away the frustrations he had on the set and in his life and with his ex wives and children."

While Jenson acknowledged that "he had his kinky moments," she rehashed the stories with the caveat that what he was doing was simply fun and relaxing for him.

"It was a Hollywood thing."

Shawarma
9th June 09, 04:31 PM
Why do people say these things?

"Oh yeah, he was a great guy, real sweet, best man I ever knew, by the way, he was a total perv."

Do the newspapers pay people for extra juicy stuff?

Harpy
9th June 09, 07:33 PM
There's a story out now that his family believe he was investigating a martial arts sect and was murdered by them. Supposedly they are trying to get the FBI to investigate.

Is this the ultimate LARP?

Ajamil
10th June 09, 10:48 AM
Gail Jensen, who married the "Kung Fu" star in 1986, recalled how Carradine often tied himself up in their bedroom and living room using belts and neckties, had a variety of piercings and enjoyed horseback riding bareback in speedos.

Minds are racing...

WarPhalange
10th June 09, 12:11 PM
I saw the episode of "Mental" last night where he was playing a patient. Yeah, I would have committed suicide too after something like that.