PDA

View Full Version : Lending the police a helping hand

Ajamil
4th June 09, 11:21 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gzRZ1_GyFOWEIV3k2KM9UjOEqpyQD98JT1Q00

PHILADELPHIA (AP) Philadelphia's police commissioner says there will be no charges against neighbors who beat a man sought for questioning in the rape of an 11-year-old girl.
About a dozen residents of the city's West Kensington neighborhood pummeled 26-year-old Jose Carrasquillo (kayr-uhs-KEE'-oh) for several minutes on Tuesday before police arrived.
He was arrested on an unrelated warrant but hasn't been charged with rape. He remains hospitalized in stable condition.
Commissioner Charles Ramsey says charges won't be filed against the residents, and adds he doesn't condone violence.
The group recognized Carrasquillo from a photo released by police, who called him a person of interest in the girl's rape on Monday.
The girl has been released from the hospital.

YouTube vid as well - it's choppy.

5siA40dWMwo

I understand the reaction, and I reluctantly agree they shouldn't be charged, but this guy hasn't even been charged with anything related to the rape. He was a "person of interest" - which could mean anything from the girl spoke his name to somebody saw him in the area and he might be a witness.

WarPhalange
4th June 09, 11:42 AM
Maybe not charges, but fines and/or community service should definitely be handed out as punishment. Beating of suspects is not okay. Innocent until proven guilty, after all. I can understand catching someone in the act and beating them, or finding someone who is wanted or has escaped from prison, but not a suspect and especially not a person of interest.

Shawarma
4th June 09, 12:17 PM
Yay, mob rule.

Fuck vigilantes.

Sun Wukong
4th June 09, 12:41 PM
AXBv5FcHKKM

If he did mess with that little girl. Fuck 'em.

Spade: The Real Snake
4th June 09, 12:43 PM
The Punisher approves of this thread.

f4n4n
4th June 09, 01:01 PM
Guilty until proven innocent, after all. Yes I guess that is how people are treated these days by the media and the public. Plaster their face with the words RAPE MURDER or what ever all over national TV, as long as the words "suspect" appear somehow in the context it is all fine and dandy. What is a persons life compared to 0.1% increase in viewer ratings? :rolleyes:

Ajamil
4th June 09, 02:15 PM
Yes, but media provides a service! How many people's lives were enriched knowing that the RAPIST case's person of interest got beaten by the community? One life is ruined at the reward of thousands being entertained and socially reinforced - the good of the many outweighs the good of one and all that.

Tanhalen21
5th June 09, 03:44 AM
How is this not a clear-cut case of assault / mobbery?

Lebell
5th June 09, 03:51 AM
kill em all let God sort em out.

RAMPAGE!!!!!

socratic
5th June 09, 08:02 AM
Do police really put out a picture of a dude to media outlets, say "If you've seen him, call police" when all they want is to question him not even as a suspect? It sounds more like a manhunt if they're putting up pictures and everything, which is probably why the mob violence happened.

Can't condone mob vigilantism (where's Batman when you need him?), but if he did do it I hope he enjoyed his beating.

5th June 09, 10:33 AM
"person of interest".
LOL

Fearless Ukemi
5th June 09, 12:53 PM
Saw this on my local news channel today. A cop they interviewed said that they have evidence placing him at the scene and are sure they have the right guy. Add that to his history and you have a guy that deserves no pity.

Ajamil
5th June 09, 01:34 PM
Which would be why I'm glad they weren't charged, but the guy certainly deserves justice - or at least due process.

Zendetta
5th June 09, 04:47 PM
It'll get even better after he's sentenced.

I'm sure there will come a day when there are no guards around. Just a 'coincidence', of course.

5th June 09, 04:49 PM
It'll get even better after he's sentenced.

I'm sure there will come a day when there are no guards around. Just a 'coincidence', of course.

Katie's Revenge (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article65399.ece)

Zendetta
5th June 09, 04:53 PM
*joygasm*