PDA

View Full Version : How to cook steak, the preferred method. (Vegetarians need not apply)

Japuma
4th June 09, 10:37 AM
#1 - Start with quality meat, get it from a butcher who know what he he is doing. My preferred cut is the New York Strip, but Filet and Ribeye work just as well. Make sure that your butcher trims the hard fat and silver membrains from the meat. Meat should be room temp. when the cooking starts. I like my steaks cut to about 1 3/4" to 2" thick.
#2 - Get a cast iron pan, this is essental as it heat holding abilites out shine the likes of stainless and aluminum. Heat said pan to as hot as you can get it, while at the same time preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Prepare meat with a VERY light coat of a high smoke point oil (I use peanut, but canola and light olive works too), then sprinkle with salt and pepper. THATS IT FOR SEASONING.
#3 - Unplug the smoke alarm.
#4 - Put meat in to the pan, be sure not to overcrowd. There will be lots of smoke and noise, this a is a good thing. Now, leave it alone for 2 mins, don't touch it, don't think about touching it, don't even look at it. When the two mins. are up flip the steaks, you will notice the cooked side will be the perfect shade of cripsy. Let this side cook for 2 mins as well.
#5 - Take entire pan and place it in the 500 degree oven. Before this however throw a pat of butter on top of each steak.
#6 - Cook for several mins, depending on the amount of doneness desired (if you want medium pull out the steaks at medium-rare, there will be enough residual heat in the meat to finish the cooking)
#7 - wrap in aluminum foil and place on cutting board for ATLEAST 5 mins.
#8 - Unwrap and serve with creamed spinach, mashed potatos or sauteed mushrooms (cooked in the same pan with just more butter) and enjoy!

I'd like to hear how you prepare your mammal flesh as I am always looking to improve my meat. (/double entendre)

Robot Jesus
4th June 09, 10:44 AM
it all depends on the cut.

for something like flank steak I prefer to use a simmilar method to yours, but with clarified butter.
i set the oven to 200 as I just use it to keep the meat warm.
then i cook some shallots in the pan and add some butter, when they've softened i deglaze with some red wine vinegar.

for a rib steak or the like i use my grill. hot as i can get it, sear bolth sides and then serve.

the real key to good steak is to start with the meat at room temperature, this stops even extremely rare steaks from getting chewy.

Zendetta
4th June 09, 03:39 PM
#2 - Get a cast iron pan

FAIL.

Steak goes on the Grill, Son.

jubei33
4th June 09, 04:35 PM
you need pictures before Mclovin gets to bizness

WarPhalange
4th June 09, 04:53 PM
Salt and pepper is all you use? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Cullion
4th June 09, 04:59 PM
There is no one true steak recipe, trust me. It depends what cut you've got and what you're in the mood for.

WarPhalange
4th June 09, 05:07 PM
And whether or not you have any sort of sense of taste.

EuropIan
4th June 09, 05:26 PM
Salt and pepper is all you use? What the fuck is wrong with you?
if the meat is good enough it's all you need.

Kein Haar
4th June 09, 05:37 PM
Japuma, I like the cut of your jib.

I also like using a pan.

-Salt and pepper beforehand.
-Get the pan blazing.
-Coat the meat with oil (not the pan)
-Sear the shit out of it for 90-120 seconds per side

Here is where I stray...

For the last 20 seconds or so, put a glob of butter into the pan at the same time as crushed garlic and thyme or rosemary.

Turn once or twice as the herb infused butter coats both sides.

Don't dick around. Eat ASAP. Should still be close to sizzling upon serving.

Of course, I do this with relatively thin cuts of ribeye.

Thicker stuff on the grill, and...I don't mess with filets very often, so I dunno.

No oven usage for me.

Cullion
4th June 09, 05:52 PM
Fillets take to a stronger flavoured sauce, whether in the pan or on the grill. They're more tender but less strongly flavoured than ribeye.

Zendetta
4th June 09, 05:58 PM
Ribeye with cracked peppercorn sauce FTW

HappyOldGuy
4th June 09, 06:00 PM
Salt and pepper is fine, but there is nothing wrong with bringing other flavors to the party. Cumin, rosemary, a little red pepper are all tasty. Add some crumbled blue cheese on top, etc.

Zendetta
4th June 09, 06:10 PM
oven-roasted garlic cloves

Cullion
4th June 09, 06:20 PM
For a quick rare fillet steak make a sauce of tomato puree, blood from the steak, a small dash of worcester sauce and a glass of red wine.

For more well done fillet make it out of shallots, brandy, cracked black pepper corns and some single cream. Let the steak sit in it in the pan. Flambe it in the brandy.

Ribeye has a stronger flavour of it's own and the less overwhelming salt, pepper herbs and butter method Kein Haar recommends is enough.

Tournados Rossini is a good recipe for tender fillet you want a strong flavour with.

Serve your fillet steak on top of a crouton of fried white bread (no crust), pate foie gras on top, put under the grill for a bit for the butter binding the pate together to melt (but not burn the pate), and then pour a red-wine sauce over the top.

Sirloin is for barbecue IMHO. I don't have anything useful to say to Americans or Australians about barbecue sauces.

Cullion
4th June 09, 06:25 PM
Steak is an essential part of the diet of people attempting to lose bodyfat btw, you just serve it with salad and no carbs.

SuperGuido
4th June 09, 06:32 PM
Cullion, you just made me rethink my entire attitude regarding British folk and food.

Cullion
4th June 09, 06:36 PM
Britain has a well-deserved reputation for terrible food starting in the Industrial Revolution (it was generally pretty good before huge numbers of poor people started crowding into highly polluted cities cut off from affordable sources of good quality meat and fresh fruit and vegetables). The upper classes always ate well, but they had access to trained chefs and cooks, wine merchants and estates with naturally fed livestock and game meats.

(My grandmother was a cook on a country estate before WWII).

It started gradually improving through the 80s. In the 90s people from other countries gradually started to notice it too. It was also relatively cheap and fast for us to travel to other European countries since the 70s.

You can eat out as well in the UK as you can in France now, but it will cost more. Most college-educated people in their 30s or younger that I know are reasonable self-taught cooks who know how the stuff they're trying to cook is supposed to taste because they've tried it on holiday in France or Italy. Kein Haar will be the first to admit that his steak method comes from a British TV chef.

Neildo
4th June 09, 08:28 PM
i ate this for dinner last night. i pre-seared mine, and broiled it for just a few minutes. mine had a bit of marinade though, some rice vinegar, philippine soy sauce (not sure if there's a difference) and worchestershire liberally doused. oh and some minced garlic went in at the last minute. served with asparagus spears and a baked potato covered in broccoli and cheese sauce. wished i had some wine :(

Neildo
4th June 09, 08:31 PM
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1313753#post1313753

old thread

Kein Haar
4th June 09, 09:11 PM
Gordo Ramsey ftw

jnp
4th June 09, 10:02 PM
The best steak I ever had was cooked at 1200 degrees in a commercial oven. It was a rare New York strip seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper. The outside was perfectly crisp without being blackened and the inside was the consistency of butter.

For what it's worth, the person who cooked it told me the higher the temperature, within reason, the better the cooking process. I have no idea if that's true, but it was a damn good steak.

I am barely competent in the steak cooking arena so that's all I can contribute.

Neildo
4th June 09, 10:30 PM
japuma - i just tried it your way, worked out very well! steak n eggs for breakfast, yeah baby!

Japuma
4th June 09, 10:48 PM
I have no issue with some spices/sauces on a steak. However a great cut of meat should be able to stand on it own. If i'm working with a lesser cut of meat i'll make a simple red wine mushroom sauce by deglazing the pan with a cup of red wine, add lots a of butter, then sautee the mushrooms. Reduce.

Japuma
4th June 09, 10:50 PM
The best steak I ever had was cooked at 1200 degrees in a commercial oven. It was a rare New York strip seasoned with nothing but salt and pepper. The outside was perfectly crisp without being blackened and the inside was the consistency of butter.

For what it's worth, the person who cooked it told me the higher the temperature, within reason, the better the cooking process. I have no idea if that's true, but it was a damn good steak.

I am barely competent in the steak cooking arena so that's all I can contribute.

This is how Ruth Chris Steakhouse does it, fucking amazing.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th June 09, 01:02 AM

What? Are we talking about just steak here?

bobyclumsyninja
5th June 09, 02:29 AM
Damn, some of y'all are on a Jedi level with your meat (insrt quasi-drty jk).

I tend to beat the shit out of it, stab it with knives, and pour melted butter, and Worcestershire sauce onto it's battered form.

Serve with Mashed potatoes (with melted xtra sharp cheese in them), and slabs of bread large enough to hide behind...or toast w/ butter.

Add one large bottle of beer, and I'm as happy as can be.

Japuma
5th June 09, 10:08 AM
The grill is acceptable for flank and skirt steak for making cheese steak.

Pound steak flat. High heat. 30 - 45 seconds on each side. Rest. Chop. Serve with cheese whiz on a hoagie roll.

(Best way to do onion if you like them is to chop up the onion, place in tin foil pouch with a little butter or oil, salt and pepper, throw on the grill for about 3-4 mins, then when your steak is done cooking let the steak rest in the pouch with the onions for another 5 mins.)

DAYoung
6th June 09, 07:09 PM
omg u kil animules u is murderorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mods delete thred plz

jnp
6th June 09, 08:40 PM
omg u kil animules u is murderorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mods delete thred plz
You're secretly a cow aren't you? Wouldn't be the first time a sirloin strip has talked back to me.

DAYoung
6th June 09, 08:51 PM
You're secretly a cow aren't you? Wouldn't be the first time a sirloin strip has talked back to me.

I have occasionally been associated with bull.

Robot Jesus
8th June 09, 02:23 AM
also if your using a very high heat method, put pepper on after it's cooked, the pepper will burn if you don't.

jnp
15th June 09, 12:37 PM
I cooked four filet mignon steaks wrapped with chipotle smoked bacon last night. I followed Japuma's directions to the letter.

They were fan-forking-tastic. I doff my hat to Japuma's mastery of searing bovine flesh.

jkdbuck76
16th June 09, 11:34 AM
mmmkay.

The wife lost her job, so we can't afford the better cuts. I have a few things I do.

1) Flat Iron steak. I like to soak it overnite in 1/2 can of 7up, a few shakes of garlic salt, a tbsp of vegetable oil and about 2-3 tbsp of soy sauce. When cooking, I put some spicy steak seasoning on it and cook it low and slow (after all, it is a flat iron steak). It is good. Don't be afraid of 7up...is softens up the meat pretty well.

2) Sirloins: get a small bowl and pour in a little olive oil, shake in a few shakes of garlic salt, pour in a little bit of soy sauce. Shake some steak seasoning onto the sirloins and a little into the bowl. Brush both sides of the sirloins with the marinade and put on a plate in the fridge for about an hour or two. Cook to desired level of doneness.