PDA

View Full Version : Paella

Cullion
30th May 09, 05:38 PM
I made a Paella for the family this evening, and went as traditional as I could with it. I don't have a proper Paella pan, and I wasn't cooking for enough people to justify pushing the boat out on all the different ingredients I would've liked to use.

Ingredients for 2 adults 2 kids (this is what I actually used, read later for where I felt I needed to tweak this):

Half a wild rabbit.
2 very large handfuls of large ready-shelled prawns.
6 fat scallops.
6 inches of Spanish chorizo sausage chopped fine.
Extra virgin olive oil.
Paella rice.
Fresh flat-leaf parsley.
A little black pepper.
Saffron.
1 large white onion
Chicken stock.
2 Romanesco sweet peppers.
3 Ripe vine tomatoes.
Quite a heavy measure of salt, measured by hand.
2 Knorr chicken-stock cubes.
A few slices of lemon.
About a litre of boiling water.

I would like to get a big Paella pan to cook this for a lot of people so I have an excuse to chop up a whole cornfed chicken (on the bone) in there, along with some squid and baby octopus. It came off really nice with what I had though.

I salted the wild rabbit portions. Chopped the chorizo into cubes and the pepper into strips after de-seeding. I put it all in my largest frying-pan straight into hot extra virgin olive oil. Keep going until the peppers are soft, the oil is coloured dark orange with the Chorizo and the rabbit is browned. The onion gets diced and thrown in a little later on during the early frying.

While I'm doing this, I mix up a cube of the chicken stock and drop a pinch of saffron strands in it. When the rabbit is brown etc.. I pour the saffron/chicken stock over it all. Chop the vine tomatoes into quarters and throw them in the liquid. The rabbit and tomatoes need to be covered with chicken/saffron stock at this point.

Leave it simmering for abotu 20 minutes. Drink a beer.

Put a cup of paella rice in per person, leave on low heat about 15 minutes.

Now it's nearly ready. A little more salt to taste, drop the scallops in.

The prawns I bought were already shelled and cooked, so they go in for the last minute of cooking just to heat through. After a minute passes, I chop up the parsley, throw it over the top, add the slices of lemon to the top and let it just settle off the heat for a few minutes with a lid on it.

I have 2 fattened happy children sleeping it off and a quiescent wife now.

As I mentioned, I'd like to try this with the cornfed chicken and extra seafood. I also measured out too much rice for 2 adults and 2 kids, so that needs to go down next time. The flavour and texture was good though, with the rice coming out a perfect natural yellow colour and texture just like I've had paella cooked by grandmas in southwestern France and in spain before, so this is basically a keeper recipe for me, to be tweaked to perfection over the coming summer.

The more traditional recipes I've read say that peppers aren't really traditional and green and white broad beans (can't remember the proper names) should be used instead.

I will try that at some point, but the cornfed chicken and extra seafood, with a lower rice content, need to be tested in this mix first. Part of the over-supply of rice was due to the fact that I was measuring the rice kind of by eye in large coffee cups and I'd probably be better to use a smaller English teacup per person instead.

Keith
30th May 09, 06:07 PM
When I was in the navy, paella was one of the treats when pulling into a Spanish port. I've always wanted to have a good recipe for it, thanks. But I have to ask: what is the difference between paella rice and other kinds of rice? Can it be subsituted?

jubei33
30th May 09, 06:20 PM
nice recipe, rabbit sounds nice. haven't had that in a long time.

maybe i'll set some traps

Steve
30th May 09, 06:28 PM
Awesome, but please post pics next time.

Cullion
30th May 09, 06:35 PM
When I was in the navy, paella was one of the treats when pulling into a Spanish port. I've always wanted to have a good recipe for it, thanks. But I have to ask: what is the difference between paella rice and other kinds of rice? Can it be subsituted?

The packet of Paella rice I bought says it's called 'Bomba' rice. This packet's rice was grown in Spain, but there's no reason why it has to be. I don't think rice can be grown very well in the UK, and Spain isn't that far for us to import stuff.

The grains look shorter and fatter than the kind of rice you normally cook asian dishes with (Thai, Basmati and generic white rice are the kinds I'm familiar with, they all seem longer and thinner than this spanish rice), and the marketing shit on the front says it takes a bit longer to grow and is able to absord more liquid.

Cullion
30th May 09, 06:46 PM
Sorry Steve, you're right. All I have now are some rabbit bones and leftover saffron-yellow rice with cubes of red-pepper in it. You want a pic of that?

jubei33
30th May 09, 07:10 PM
for the LULZ^

there are different flavors and textures to rice; compare japanese rice and thai jasmine for reference. Using japanese rice in this instance would probably give different results when you put it in.

Keith
30th May 09, 07:12 PM
The packet of Paella rice I bought says it's called 'Bomba' rice. This packet's rice was grown in Spain, but there's no reason why it has to be. I don't think rice can be grown very well in the UK, and Spain isn't that far for us to import stuff.

The grains look shorter and fatter than the kind of rice you normally cook asian dishes with (Thai, Basmati and generic white rice are the kinds I'm familiar with, they all seem longer and thinner than this spanish rice), and the marketing shit on the front says it takes a bit longer to grow and is able to absord more liquid.
THanks for the info. I will probably try to make some of this myself soon. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Cullion
30th May 09, 07:16 PM
I've gotta picture now but can't find the cable. I'll post it tomorrow probably.

Cullion
30th May 09, 07:38 PM
Now I think of it, the Paella rice looked a lot like the Arborio rice you make risotto with. Probably basically the same breed.

DAYoung
30th May 09, 07:44 PM
My wife had a pet rabbit as a child.

SO: no rabbit stew for DAYoung.

Steve
30th May 09, 07:53 PM
Sorry Steve, you're right. All I have now are some rabbit bones and leftover saffron-yellow rice with cubes of red-pepper in it. You want a pic of that?

Sure.

I'm not kidding.

Cullion
30th May 09, 07:54 PM
DAYoung, maybe you could explain to her about the cycle of carnivorous life?

I did with my children early on.

My daughter found our cat mawling a dead mouse the other day. She ran inside, shouting and agitated:-

"Daddy, Poppy<the cat> caught a mouse and killed it...

All by herself11!!!11

Can we get her a present to celebrate?, Dad, can we? Dad? Can we ? etc..'

Ajamil
31st May 09, 12:10 AM
I'm thinking I might need to buy some mice for my cats to get them hunting practice. They spend weekends at the glider field, but I have yet to see any evidence of them catching anything.

theotherserge
31st May 09, 12:58 AM
Arborio rice and Basmati have worked for the paellas I've made. I love the dish. It is important to drink while making it. Seafood+rabbit are a must. Well done sir!

DAYoung
31st May 09, 04:22 AM
DAYoung, maybe you could explain to her about the cycle of carnivorous life?

I did with my children early on.

My daughter found our cat mawling a dead mouse the other day. She ran inside, shouting and agitated:-

"Daddy, Poppy<the cat> caught a mouse and killed it...

All by herself11!!!11

Can we get her a present to celebrate?, Dad, can we? Dad? Can we ? etc..'

My wife replies: "Maybe if a hawk snatched her cat...she might understand. And the 'cycle of carnivorous life' would be little consolation."

Cullion
31st May 09, 05:01 AM
Hmm... tricky.

Would your wife consider eating meat from a young hare instead ? It would be probably work just as well. I'm not sure how available hare is in Australia.

I think you could also substitute the dark gamey meat from a wild bird.

DAYoung
31st May 09, 05:43 AM
What sort of wild bird did you have in mind, Mr. Cullion?

(We eat 'roo, by the way. Would this work?)

Cullion
31st May 09, 05:55 AM
I've never tasted Kangaroo.

You want a dark gamey meat that has a lighter texture than beef. Is Kangaroo like that? Venison would be a touch too heavy, for example.

The birds I had in mind were things like pheasant, wood pigeon, grouse or dark meat from a guineafowl. Something wild that produces lean dark meat that's easy to cut.

Cullion
31st May 09, 06:12 AM
Cripes, you could probably fry up some whole quail with the chorizo.

Cullion
31st May 09, 07:26 AM
Found the cable. Here's the leftovers in the serving bowl from last night.

Zendetta
3rd June 09, 03:09 PM
It is important to drink while making it.

That's true of everything other than salad and waffles. And its negotiable in regards to waffles.

Culion: excellent work. I hope your wife buried you under a mountain of blowjobs.

honesty
3rd June 09, 03:32 PM
Squirrel works rather nicely in paellas, and does a nice more gamey replacement for rabbit as well. Risotto rice is what I've used in the past instead of paella rice and it works fine.

jnp
3rd June 09, 03:44 PM
I can't believe I just clicked on a picture of Cullion's leftovers.

Looks good though. When can you drop some off at the house?

theotherserge
3rd June 09, 04:14 PM
That's true of everything other than salad and waffles. And its negotiable in regards to waffles.

Culion: excellent work. I hope your wife buried you under a mountain of blowjobs.
this one time, I was making an apple-crisp (I make a mean-ass, tasty crisp) and I thought it would be fun to drink bourbon while baking. I lost track of how much butter I was adding which made sense as I'd also lost track of how much bourbon I was drinking...

Normally I can tell by feel, but all I was feeling then was wrecked. It was basically apple, brown sugar and flour in a butter soup. I tried to eat some anyway cause I hate wasting food, but in about 15 min I had to go and take a huge dump.
PYW7QToaDeY

Zendetta
3rd June 09, 04:38 PM
LOL!

"You should not drink and bake"

Classic!

Cullion
3rd June 09, 04:55 PM
Squirrel works rather nicely in paellas, and does a nice more gamey replacement for rabbit as well. Risotto rice is what I've used in the past instead of paella rice and it works fine.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they're actually the same thing branded differently. The grains look the same and they basically do the same job (absorb lots of liquid).

bob
3rd June 09, 04:59 PM
Kangaroo takes a very delicate touch to cook. It needs to be quite rare otherwise it's extremely tough.

Crocodile is actually extremely nice. Half way between chicken and fish. Emu is terrible.

Cullion
3rd June 09, 05:04 PM
What kind of smaller game birds do you have in Australia?

I guess at least some of the things I mentioned as alternatives to DAYoung have been imported from Europe. Any indigenous tasty game birds ?

bob
3rd June 09, 05:10 PM
AFIAK our game birds are imported. Native species are either poor eating or protected.

Seafood paella is very popular in Australia.

Ajamil
3rd June 09, 05:57 PM
Can you hunt kiwi? I wonder if kiwi with kiwi fruit would be good - it'd be funny.

Zendetta
3rd June 09, 05:59 PM
Fun Aussie Fact: if you have blackberries growing on your property, the government will fine and/or castrate you.

bob
3rd June 09, 06:03 PM
They're more likely to help you eradicate it. And it depends where it is. There's a blackberry tree about ten metres from where I'm sitting but the council keeps it under control.

Cullion
3rd June 09, 06:05 PM
Why are they so anti-blackberry?

Zendetta
3rd June 09, 07:24 PM
Austalia has this "thing" about invasive species.

Rabbits

Cane Toads

White People

etc

Japuma
3rd June 09, 07:32 PM
mmm... quail, in fact all game bird are excellent. I wish I would of been around to eat a passenger pidgon, they sounded delectible.

Zendetta
3rd June 09, 07:33 PM
Pheasant, Baby!

JohnnyCache
3rd June 09, 08:34 PM
needs monkfish.

jnp
3rd June 09, 09:55 PM
mmm... quail, in fact all game bird are excellent. I wish I would of been around to eat a passenger pidgon, they sounded delectible.
*smacks lips*

Most endangered species are quite tasty.

You didn't hear that from me.

Zendetta
3rd June 09, 10:17 PM
I guess there's a reason they're endangered.

There are lots of these little quail with deely-boppers on their heads out here in California. They look very cute and delicious.

theotherserge
3rd June 09, 10:49 PM
They're more likely to help you eradicate it. And it depends where it is. There's a blackberry tree about ten metres from where I'm sitting but the council keeps it under control.

at least blackberries are really tasty

as far as I'm concerned, you Wallabie-faggotz can have ALL of your eucalyptus trees back...feckers!

KO'd N DOA
4th June 09, 12:29 PM
My wife is Spanish, Paella is not food, it is a political division between the regions of Spain,(and elsewhere) and launches hours of discourse on what Paella is, who has the best, and what has to be in it.

Top grade Saffron and the Spanish rice, seem to be the only thing standard.

Calimars are divine and have to be in there.

EuropIan
11th June 09, 02:49 PM
a slightly bolder paella with rabbit instead of chicken.

Nice.

Rabbit is dirt cheap there, yes?

Cullion
11th June 09, 03:53 PM
Yes, rabbit's fairly inexpensive. When I was googling for Paella recipes a lot of the ones claiming to be more traditional had rabbit and chicken in for the meat, but I just wasn't cooking for enough people (and didn't have a big enough pan) to justify that.

Best Paella I've ever had was in southwestern France. Free range full-flavoured Chicken on the bone and Chorizo for the base, massive prawns and tiny baby octopus for the seafood. Vegetables used looked pretty much the same as what I used.

EuropIan
11th June 09, 04:36 PM
you can also use pork...

remember, if you try for something exotic like pheasant I would switch out the seafood component for mushrooms. Since they would clash too much.

but you already knew that.

Cullion
11th June 09, 04:38 PM
I think it depends how hung the pheasant is. The rabbit I used was fairly gamey and it was fine.

EuropIan
11th June 09, 04:42 PM
there's a limit to how gamey a rabbit can be, this ain't no hare.

Cullion
11th June 09, 05:29 PM
That's certainly true, but things like pheasant and guinea fowl really don't have to be that strong. If you take them barely hung then it's not that different from dark poultry meat with a slightly different texture.

Zendetta
12th June 09, 05:41 PM
I made a kickass pot of jambalaya last night. Chicken, pork loin, and hot Italian sausages.

Kein Haar
12th June 09, 10:02 PM
How'd my anatomy make it into your jambalaya?

Phrost
12th June 09, 10:29 PM
Paella?

Y pa el tambien?

Zendetta
13th June 09, 12:52 PM
How'd my anatomy make it into your jambalaya?

You are referring to the Pork Loin, yes?

EuropIan
13th June 09, 12:54 PM
I think it's the chicken.

Kein Haar
13th June 09, 12:54 PM
No and no.

Zendetta
13th June 09, 01:32 PM
I'm still gonna go with Pork Loin,'cuz the cop joke is funnier than the stud joke.

Cullion
13th June 09, 02:49 PM
Paella?

Y pa el tambien?

que?