PDA

View Full Version : It's great to have friends.

FickleFingerOfFate
23rd May 09, 09:04 PM
So, I'm sitting around the house Saturday evening, when my friend Kurt calls and says he wants to take a walk through town for about an hour, and would I be willing to take his car out for a ride while he's busy (I shit you not, those were his exact words).

15 minutes later he pulls into my driveway with this smoking beast;

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/01-one-night-stand-camaro-580op.jpg

hops out and throws me the key and says,"Let me know if you need a little more time".

Kurt happens to own the local Chevy dealer, and knows I have restored and shown Camaros for years, and thought I would like a thrill.

1:05 later, I returned his car, with a little more gas than it arrived with, and about 47 miles on the clock that weren't there when he dropped it off.

To quote the Cadillac commercial;

"When you turn on your car, does it return the favor?"

The 2010 Camaro SS responds; OH, HELL YEAH!

Japuma
23rd May 09, 10:47 PM
Did you whipe the jizz stains off the inside of the windshield before you returned it?

Toby Christensen
24th May 09, 01:15 AM
Wow, is Kurt as cowardly, deluded and obese as you Fickle?

And since you insist on using my first and second names without permission, who do I deign to address Fickle?

3moose1
24th May 09, 02:40 AM
His name is John Smith.

3moose1
24th May 09, 02:41 AM
I'm not even joking, I know John IRL.

I didn't believe it at first, then i saw his driver's license. He's old as dirt.

DAYoung
24th May 09, 02:45 AM
Wow.

Is that a Volvo?

A red one?

jubei33
24th May 09, 03:00 AM
pretty sweet looking, maybe it'll keep them from loosing their shits?

in the last 10 years or so they seem to have been going towards cars with transformer-esque blocky lines instead of the dodge neon make every edge round contour. I don't know maybe longer, but it seems there is this general thought behind the image of it.

EuropIan
24th May 09, 05:41 AM
Wow.

Is that a Volvo?

A red one?
The red paint job makes it go faster.

"red wuns go fasta!" as the orks say

Cullion
24th May 09, 06:22 AM
I've gotta say, I don't like the lines of that car. It's too chunky.

syberia
24th May 09, 07:43 AM

I agree its a bit chunky, but i love it. Its a pretty sexy car.

FFF, send it over to me so i can test drive it.

Sirc
24th May 09, 08:07 AM
How'd you like the cheap interior?

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 08:07 AM
Did you whipe the jizz stains off the inside of the windshield before you returned it?

Yes.

And since you insist on using my first and second names without permission, who do I deign to address Fickle?

You don't.

Wow.

Is that a Volvo?

A red one?

Why, Yes Officer, was that why you pulled me over?

pretty sweet looking, maybe it'll keep them from loosing their shits?

in the last 10 years or so they seem to have been going towards cars with transformer-esque blocky lines instead of the dodge neon make every edge round contour. I don't know maybe longer, but it seems there is this general thought behind the image of it.

I hope it will be one of the things that save us, but it will take more than just a niche market car. You are correct about the direction, each of the styling departments has an "icon" that represents the look of the cars for that division, and they have all gone to that type of look. So far, the public is reacting well.

The red paint job makes it go faster.

"red wuns go fasta!" as the orks say

That is Genuine Chevrolet "Arrest-me-Red". I think every cop in the Tri-County area took a second look at it while I was driving it.

I personally hate red cars, but I was more than happy to make an exception in this case.

It is styled after the '67-'69 Camaros, and is in keeping with the original lines of the cars, as well as the corporate directives of styling.

I agree its a bit chunky, but i love it. Its a pretty sexy car.

FFF, send it over to me so i can test drive it.

You missed your chance. Holden did most of the pre-production development work on it for us. It was there for almost 2 years.

Sorry.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 08:12 AM
How'd you like the cheap interior?

Although I'm not a fan of plastic interior panels, the interior looked fantastic. In fact several of the people who saw it while I was driving it, said that the interior looked every bit as cool as the exterior.

I have also found, on my HHR, that the plastic panels are very easy to keep clean.

Besides, nothing looks worse than shitty vinyl covered door panels that have worn through the color or torn after 1-2 years.

Unless you can afford a car with leather panels...

syberia
24th May 09, 08:19 AM
You missed your chance. Holden did most of the pre-production development work on it for us. It was there for almost 2 years.

Sorry.

I'll forgive you because your friend has a sexy car.

Cullion
24th May 09, 08:20 AM
67 Camaros eh?

hmm..

http://jmillsauto.com/images/Camaro%2006-29-2007%20008.jpg

Now that is indeed a sweet set of wheels, but I don't know... there's something lacking aesthetically in this new one you drove. Your daddy's model was cooler.

Sirc
24th May 09, 08:29 AM
JESUS CHRIST CULLION.

Link that shit.

How was the giant steering rack ratio, FFF?

I wasn't too terribly impressed with it. Not that I don't appreciate it. I'm just happy they're not trying to make it out to be more than what it is.

I'm glad that they're keeping it as, "Yes this is just an homage to all of the past Camaros and a fuck you to the mustang. That is all."

Whereas the Mustang isn't quite sure what the fuck it wants to be.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 08:29 AM
While I see your point, it wasn't designed as a clone like the new Dodge Challenger.

It is supposed to invoke the same feel.

After spending almost 10 years doing restoration work on first generation Camaros, and working on the Concept Camaros, there are tons of styling cues that span all of the early ones present in the new one.

For someone who's owned one of the '67-'69 cars, it's like a game of "Hey, I remember that". It does play more on the '69 than the others, but, then, we made 360,000 of them that year.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 08:38 AM
JESUS CHRIST CULLION.

Link that shit.

How was the giant steering rack ratio, FFF?

I didn't have a problem with the steering, but, it felt like it was speed compensated.

I wasn't too terribly impressed with it. Not that I don't appreciate it. I'm just happy they're not trying to make it out to be more than what it is.

It is a car that has had a lot of demand, albeit, from a small market segment. I think, in the price range it lives in, it is a lot of car. The IRS will be a huge upgrade from previous iterations, and it really is a blast in the corners. The 6 speed automatic, with a manual mode and paddle shifters, is a big departure from the older ones.

I'm glad that they're keeping it as, "Yes this is just an homage to all of the past Camaros and a fuck you to the mustang. That is all."

Whereas the Mustang isn't quite sure what the fuck it wants to be.

I think the Mustang vs. Camaro thing has been overplayed, and should go back to the '80's where it belongs.

But, yeah, Fuck them Mustangs.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 08:41 AM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/1420226021047628021S425x425Q85.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/01-one-night-stand-camaro-580op.jpg

I'll stand by my remark about the styling.

Sirc
24th May 09, 08:56 AM
I understand your points about the styling. Which is why I'm saying that I do like that Chevy isn't trying to make the Camaro (new one) out to be some kind of ____ killer. Or something.

I see it as an homage and throwback to it's legend rather than a continuation and attempts at making "breakthroughs." Though I do have gripes about "manual mode" automatic transmissions. :\

I don't care about either car enough to take sides. But the Mustang suffers from basically trying too hard with antiquated engineering.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 08:58 AM
I understand your points about the styling. Which is why I'm saying that I do like that Chevy isn't trying to make the Camaro (new one) out to be some kind of ____ killer. Or something.

I see it as an homage and throwback to it's legend rather than a continuation and attempts at making "breakthroughs." Though I do have gripes about "manual mode" automatic transmissions. :\

I don't care about either car enough to take sides. But the Mustang suffers from basically trying too hard with antiquated engineering.

I....agree.

[/world]

billy sol hurok
24th May 09, 09:05 AM
The 6 speed automatic, with a manual mode and paddle shifters, is a big departure from the older ones.

Can you elaborate a bit more? Cuz my next question was going to be about the tranny/gearing . . .

Phrost
24th May 09, 09:07 AM
I'd love to own one of those, but part of me hates the fact that like nearly every cool American car except the Viper, there will be 5,000,000 stripped down, V6 versions driving around diluting its coolness.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 09:11 AM
Can you elaborate a bit more? Cuz my next question was going to be about the tranny/gearing . . .

The main thing you notice, is that it seems to shift a lot, but when you stomp on it, it always seems to be in the right rpm range to leave with authority.

If you pull the shifter handle past D to M the car will react normally until you use one of the paddles to change what gear it is in, then you take over. I didn't try to force a shift by redlining it in manual, so I don't know what it would do. I would assume it would shift at a predetermined high rpm. Manual shifts are very crisp.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 09:13 AM
I'd love to own one of those, but part of me hates the fact that like nearly every cool American car except the Viper, there will be 5,000,000 stripped down, V6 versions driving around diluting its coolness.

The V6 is no slouch!

Go to Chevrolet.com and build and price one.

I put together a 305 hp V6 loaded with the RS package and several options, and it was 30,000 sticker.

Spade: The Real Snake
24th May 09, 10:51 AM
Wow, is Kurt as cowardly, deluded and obese as you Fickle?

You are just jealous that your wheelchair isn't a Transformer like the Camaro.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 10:57 AM
You are just jealous that your wheelchair isn't a Transformer like the Camaro.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/flame-throwing-wheelchair.jpg

LOL TranSfoRmerWHEelChair4TobYCriPple.

Shawarma
24th May 09, 10:58 AM
Your friend gave you a flash car to drive around for a while and you didn't check the trunk for dismembered transsexual prostitutes?

How trusting you are.

WarPhalange
24th May 09, 11:05 AM
I'll never understand the big deal with cars. Mind you, I like going fast and junk like that, but to me car = car. But, I guess it's like people saying computer = computer or guitar = guitar.

Shawarma
24th May 09, 11:08 AM
I'll never understand the big deal with women. Mind you, I like getting my laundry done and junk like that, but to me woman = woman. But, I guess it's like people saying computer = computer or guitar = guitar.
Fixed.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th May 09, 11:18 AM
Your friend gave you a flash car to drive around for a while and you didn't check the trunk for dismembered transsexual prostitutes?

How trusting you are.

In fairness,

I didn't leave any there either.

WarPhalange
24th May 09, 11:22 AM
Fixed.

That too.

Zendetta
24th May 09, 02:03 PM
It's too chunky.

Get used to that. The Retro Aesthetic will be dominating American Muscle Cars again for the next few years.

Sirc
24th May 09, 03:07 PM
I'll never understand the big deal with cars. Mind you, I like going fast and junk like that, but to me car = car. But, I guess it's like people saying computer = computer or guitar = guitar.

Cars are currently the pinnacle of human engineering. They require engineers of all kinds to make them work safely and properly for the public.

Faster and better cars require better engineering.

They are a testament to human capacity.

Neildo
24th May 09, 03:48 PM
i think guns are better engineered. have you seen that webpage where the dude abuses the hell out of that glock, and it still fires? i'd like to see you run some sand through the engine and see how it likes that. hell, you can even kill a car with a gun. 10ga. solid slug shotgun shell ought to crack a block.

Cullion
24th May 09, 04:10 PM
It's aeroplanes.

Neildo
24th May 09, 08:44 PM
a well placed pigeon will take down a jetliner. engineering fail.

Sirc
24th May 09, 11:44 PM
i think guns are better engineered. have you seen that webpage where the dude abuses the hell out of that glock, and it still fires? i'd like to see you run some sand through the engine and see how it likes that. hell, you can even kill a car with a gun. 10ga. solid slug shotgun shell ought to crack a block.

Guns are pretty one dimensional.

Cars require an obscene amount of knowledge in chemistry, physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and design.

Spade: The Real Snake
25th May 09, 12:45 AM
I want to be one of those giant Terminators with guns for a head.

Neildo
25th May 09, 02:02 AM
now that's the pinnacle of human engineering. a machine so badass, it wipes out humanity.

FickleFingerOfFate
26th May 09, 04:00 AM
now that's the pinnacle of human engineering. a machine so badass, it wipes out humanity.

Or saves it...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/transformers-bumblebee-02.jpg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th May 09, 04:44 AM
hurdur spaceships

Sun Wukong
26th May 09, 10:03 AM

That car is great, except for the grill. That grill sucks balls.

Ajamil
26th May 09, 03:19 PM
Cars are currently the pinnacle of human engineering. They require engineers of all kinds to make them work safely and properly for the public.

Faster and better cars require better engineering.

They are a testament to human capacity.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/taylorndt/truckasaurus.jpg

They are not the pinnacle - they have a predator.

jubei33
27th May 09, 05:48 AM
my input is a pencil for best engineered human invention. Its reached a state of equilibrium where any changes are largely superficial and the design still remains essentially the same. Plus you can spend millions of dollars to develop pens that work in low gravity, but they'll still be outdone by the raw, beautiful simplicity.
http://content.etilize.com/Large/1010065488.jpg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th May 09, 06:01 AM
Plus you can spend millions of dollars to develop pens that work in low gravity, but they'll still be outdone by the raw, beautiful simplicity.

We used pencils at first. We stopped because broken lead floating around a spaceship is bad news and wood is flammable, so much for being the pinnacle of human engineering.

Ajamil
27th May 09, 01:55 PM
I'd say mechanical pencils are a nice improvement. Especially with the thicker leads. You get more writing, and you don't waste wood resources. Takes oil for plastic, but I'd bet you could make a really nice metal or wooden mech. pencil and then have a reason for not losing it.