PDA

View Full Version : The Cr___y World of the UK ID Card Scheme.

Truculent Sheep
21st May 09, 11:40 AM
Inbetween fiddling their expenses and being utterly useless, the UK government has found time to try and unleash an intrusive ID Card/National ID Register scheme on the poor sods who actually pay taxes. Hilarity ensues.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/20/id_card_reader/

More doubts on ID card readers
Pointless project has no flicking point
By John Oates
Posted in Government, 20th May 2009 11:38 GMT

The Home Office has confirmed there is still no timetable for the rollout of ID card readers, without which carrying out effective ID checks is impossible.

So even though the government is continuing to foist the cards on foreigners, airside workers at City of London and Manchester airports and pilots, there is no way to check the cards are genuine. Official advice is to flick the cards with a fingernail because they make a distinctive noise.

...The cards are already being handed to foreign nationals with leave to stay, and the lucky people of Manchester will get the chance to hand over 60 to get their hands on a card from later this year. Wacky Jacqui Smith has previously claimed that people can't wait for ID cards...

...Tory leader David Cameron has promised to scrap the scheme if elected.

danniboi07
21st May 09, 07:01 PM
It emerged in February that the government was pushing ahead (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/07/ips_card_readers/) with issuing cards despite the lack of readers.

So the government requires its citizens to have cards....and then charges them $95 for the cards....and then has no way to enforce the cards.

To be honest I wish I had something witty to say, but I'm just speechless now.

Zendetta
21st May 09, 07:32 PM
"Flick the cards"?!??!??!?

Are you fucking kidding? (I know you are not)

CannibalCrowley
23rd May 09, 10:09 AM
Deaf people should sue because they can't be card checkers.

Cullion
23rd May 09, 10:21 AM
Nice find TS.

These people will be gone soon, thankfully.

A minister started a twitter account the other day and accidentally leaked the currently expected date of calling a General Election (end of June), because the fuckwit didn't understand twitter and thought a reply to another minister's twittering was a private message. It's been deleted now, but not before it was all over the blogosphere.

Truculent Sheep
2nd June 09, 01:28 PM
The plot thickens...

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=9644

Exclusive: U-turn on airport ID cards
Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Public Servant Daily has discovered that the Home Office has made a very quiet U-turn on its policy regarding the airport ID card trials. Mike Lowe reports.

As part of the initial roll-out of ID cards, the government announced plans for all those in sensitive roles at airports to be issued with an identity card as part of the critical worker identity card (CWIC) scheme. But when Home Secretary Jacqui Smith officially launched an early-adopter scheme for the citizens of Manchester in May, a much smaller announcement was made changing the rules of the CWIC scheme.

Originally, and against much union opposition, all airside workers were expected to apply for an ID card once the pilot began or potentially lose their jobs. The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) were fiercely outspoken on the matter and threatened the government with legal action if it went ahead.

Yet in its May announcement, the Home Office changed the terms so that only those newly recruited as airside workers will be expected to apply for an ID card. All existing members of staff can continue to work without a card.

A spokesman for BALPA told Public Servant Daily that they were aware of this, but were given no reason for the change. He also denied that talks between government and BALPA officials had influenced the decision or that it was a concession made to stave off a legal challenge.

But he added that whilst this change applies to the Manchester Airport pilot, once it is rolled out nationally the old rules still apply and "pilots who refuse to have the card will lose their job".

NO2ID's spokesman said the U-turn was more proof that the scheme is not actually up and running "in any form". "It sounds like an attempt to soften the blow with BALPA and head off at the pass any future problems," he added.

WarPhalange
2nd June 09, 03:18 PM
It's a bitter-sweet feeling, knowing that governments all over the world are incompetent, not just the US gov't.

Truculent Sheep
19th June 09, 01:35 PM
More stupidity from the UK government. Roll on the next fucking election.

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=9824&topic=e-government

The Home Office has delayed plans to award a contract for ID Cards for British citizens until next year, leading to further speculation that the plan is encountering resistance from within the government,

Fujitsu, IBM and Thales have all been short listed for the contract to create the cards. It was to be awarded this autumn, but now the government is planning to award it in 2010.

With the Conservatives openly vowing to kill off the policy the moment they come to office if elected in a general election, the government has been forced to reconsider its policies. Companies could be hesitant to invest in a scheme that is short lived with no guarantees of a refund if cancelled.

The Home Office said the move was not in response to shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling's comments earlier this week, instead arguing that a new contract should not be awarded until the smaller existing deal expires next year.

Meanwhile, research like THIS (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8103557.stm), which would have clear and genuine benefits is chronically underfunded by, amongst others, the same pack of twats who have been trying to force this scheme through since 2003. Food for thought.

Cullion
19th June 09, 01:40 PM
When a scientist or engineer claims something will take 100 years, they are lying.

Truculent Sheep
19th June 09, 07:18 PM
True - my point is that a lot of money is getting squandered on crap while potentially important research staggers on with whatever it's given. Think of the medical research all that money wasted ion the NHS database could have funded, for example.

Toby Christensen
19th June 09, 08:44 PM
True - my point is that a lot of money is getting squandered on crap while potentially important research staggers on with whatever it's given. Think of the medical research all that money wasted ion the NHS database could have funded, for example.

I love you for that quote. Truculent.

Truculent Sheep
7th August 09, 06:47 AM
Are you a foreigner? Want to live in the UK for a while? Don't. Unless you don't mind being one of the guinea pigs for the government's pisspoor ID Card/National Identity Register and having your personal data available to be hacked by all and sundry, that is:

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=10348&topic=e-government

A foreign national's ID card has been cracked and then reprogrammed by a security expert in an investigation by The Daily Mail.

The newspaper borrowed the ID card of a foreign national and subjected it to tests to see how secure it is. The security expert, Adam Laurie, managed to clone the card using a Nokia mobile phone and a laptop.

ID cards have been cloned in the past, but the Home Office was always able to insist that the data held on the card's micrchip was secure and could not be modified. But with the help of a second security expert, Jeroen van Beek, the encryption placed on the microchip inside the card was cracked using clues from the codes printed on the card.

From this point, they were able to edit details on the ID card including the name, date of birth, that the card holder was entitled to benefits and fingerprints. They were also able to add a note to the ID card that would appear in front of any police or security officer using a card scanner that said: "I am a terrorist - shoot on sight."

When told of the investigation, a Home Office spokesman told the newspaper: "We are satisfied the personal data on the chip cannot be changed or modified and there is no evidence this has happened. The identity card includes a number of design and security features that are extremely difficult to replicate.

"We remain confident that the identity card is one of the most secure of its kind, fully meeting rigorous international standards."

honesty
7th August 09, 07:48 AM
The register is a really good source for sarcastic news. Its brilliant.

On the ID card thing, I still dont understand the point the government are trying to get with it. I carry a photo driving licence, have a RFID enabled passport, why the hell do I need a 3rd completely redundant form of ID? As for making foreign nationals carry one, well shouldn't their ID have been confirmed by Boarder and Immigration with their passports. You'd hope the BIAwould be able to spot fakes and stop their holders coming into the country.

My biggest problem with this though is that its another government database, and they are so well known for being able to do IT project correctly, on time, and within budget, and then manage them efficiently when active....

Truculent Sheep
7th August 09, 10:09 AM
The ID Card is just a front. It's the NIR which is the real threat.

honesty
7th August 09, 10:19 AM
Yeh, definitely time for me to apply for that dual Italian citizenship I'm allowed, and not renew my UK passport next time around!

Lebell
7th August 09, 10:30 AM
Inverness here i come!!!

Truculent Sheep
7th August 09, 10:33 AM
They've already got one hideous beast lurking around there, Lebell.

Lebell
7th August 09, 12:04 PM
They've already got one hideous beast lurking around there, Lebell.

yeah i know, totally hawt!
im curious if she wants to do it again!

Truculent Sheep
7th August 09, 02:34 PM
Now that is what I call a good comeback!

HappyOldGuy
7th August 09, 02:54 PM
I've gotta say. Your NHS database project is going to be the clusterfuck example of all clusterfuck examples in IT management textbooks for the next century.

honesty
7th August 09, 03:30 PM
Nah, the best one was the 1992 London Ambulance Service project. Its used as the classic example of how not to do project management. That one killed people, the NHS database project is just currently costing us a shit load and running stupidly late.

Truculent Sheep
7th August 09, 05:35 PM
I actually did some work putting data on the NHS database. It was not secure, not least because the temps were hired to just churn through their workload, and it was very easy to just look people up on the system we were adding to. (I didn't.) I got paid well, but there was no security screening and it made me even more paranoid as a result.