PDA

View Full Version : UK Courts Rule That Pringles Are A Crisp, Not A Snack

Truculent Sheep
20th May 09, 07:09 PM
Just in case you were wondering. I for one will be sleeping easier tonight, along with the Inland Revenue and the makers of cheesy Wotsits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8060204.stm

Pringles lose Appeal Court case

Procter & Gamble will be forced to pay tens of millions of pounds in VAT after losing a legal battle with the taxman over its Pringles snack.

The Court of Appeal ruled in favour of the Revenue, which has long maintained that Pringles constitute a potato snack and are, therefore, liable for VAT.

A High Court judge ruled last summer that the snack was exempt from the tax.

Foods are usually exempt from VAT, but one of the few exceptions is the humble potato crisp.

A High Court judge ruled last July that Pringles' packaging, "unnatural shape" and the fact that the potato content is less than 50% meant the snack was exempt from VAT.

The Appeal Court judges disagreed.

"There is more than enough potato content for it to be a reasonable view that it is made from potato," said Lord Justice Jacob.

Potatoes make up 42% of the Pringles' ingredients.

He added that the lawyer acting for the Revenue advised him the VAT due on the sale of Pringles was "as much as 100m of tax for the past and about 20m a year for the future."

But a spokesperson for Procter & Gamble said the company had been paying VAT on the snack pending the appeal process, and so was not liable for any back taxes.

Cullion
20th May 09, 07:13 PM
Thank God they took care of that for us. I for one am sick of being exploited by multinationals and am glad that this extra money will go to where it's really needed.

Robot Jesus
20th May 09, 07:18 PM
is anyone else disturbed, but not surprised that pringles contain less that 50% potato

Steve
20th May 09, 07:19 PM
How did this not get posted in the food forum?

Anyways, I heard about this today. That will teach them for making a product that once I've popped I can't stop.

Bastards.

Truculent Sheep
20th May 09, 07:19 PM
Hopefully they'll crack down on Pickled Onion Monster Munch next. Only crack dealers and people with The AIDS like that flavour.

Truculent Sheep
20th May 09, 07:27 PM

For it is written that the subject matter is neither entirely of current affairs nor of earthly matters pertaining to potato crisps. Indeed it is said in hushed whispers that this thread dwells neither here nor there, but INBETWEEN...

[Cue eerie theremin music.]

Robot Jesus
20th May 09, 07:35 PM
Hopefully they'll crack down on Pickled Onion Monster Munch next. Only crack dealers and people with The AIDS like that flavour.

a coworker gave me a bag of that the other day, the same day I gave him a bottle of scotch; the events where unrelated.

Toby Christensen
21st May 09, 12:42 AM
is anyone else disturbed, but not surprised that pringles contain less that 50% potato

No. I thought the point was that they were an inventive use for dried potato in a patent tube and that was part of the gimmick.

theotherserge
21st May 09, 02:37 AM
Thank God they took care of that for us. I for one am sick of being exploited by multinationals and am glad that this extra money will go to where it's really needed.

ahem,
WVqAYGW-d4U

EuropIan
21st May 09, 04:11 AM
I miss salt & Vinegar "crisps".

They used to sell this flavour here, but they stopped some time after 2005.

sochin101
21st May 09, 05:57 AM
"There is more than enough potato content for it to be a reasonable view that it is made from potato," said Lord Justice Jacob.
He's crackers.
LOL.

Seriously, Mini Cheddars should be next on the purge list. No vat? CRIMINAL!!!

Adouglasmhor
23rd May 09, 09:20 AM
Mini Cheddars are a biccie and I think they have VAT, tacos, nachos and tortilla chips are breads under vat regs and have no vat. Jaffa Cakes are cakes = no vat,

Cakes are apparently considers a standard foodstuff so no vat but crisps and biscuits are luxury foodstuffs and have vat.

Sanitary products for women have vat so menstruation is obviously a luxury and women should pay for it. There should also be VAT on ibuprofen vodka and hot water bottles.

Cullion
23rd May 09, 09:25 AM
There should be VAT on raising your voice and going on a rant about my parents when I'm just politely asking where the fucking cornflakes are too.

Adouglasmhor
23rd May 09, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=Cullion]There should be VAT on raising your voice and going on a rant about my parents when I'm just politely asking where the fucking cornflakes are too.

You are lucky, my GF is Irish and gets more republican just before the painters come, apparently I am responsible for the Royal Family and 700 years of repression.

Cullion
23rd May 09, 10:08 AM
Well, she's got a point.

Cullion
23rd May 09, 10:14 AM
Oddly, my mother is Irish and she used to go on rants about that sort of thing too.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Irish men have been deflecting the curse using distraction techniques for generations.

'Where were you last night, y'fecker?'

'I was in the pub with Michael, I told you'

'Oh, out drinking eh?'

<sees the hot water bottle and chunky kitkat on the sideboard, thinks for a second>

'Well, we had a chat about the troubles. Those bastard British'

'Oh, they are bastards'

'No doubt Bridget, bastards the lot of 'em..'

etc..

Neildo
23rd May 09, 10:24 AM
I miss salt & Vinegar "crisps".

They used to sell this flavour here, but they stopped some time after 2005.

i will send you a care package with several different brands. give me an address.

i'm currently munching out on israeli-made falafel flavoured wheat party snacks. they're addictive.

i can't believe they charge VAT on womens ST's there.

Cullion
23rd May 09, 10:26 AM
Well, who's going to pay for the gardening otherwise ?

Neildo
23rd May 09, 10:30 AM
redirect some of that congestion charge jeremy clarkson keeps bitching about.

Cullion
23rd May 09, 10:39 AM
That's already paying for modern art buildings and 'diversity' consultants for London's city government.

Spade: The Real Snake
23rd May 09, 10:44 AM
Lundberg's flavored Rice Chips.

Neildo
23rd May 09, 06:04 PM
sour cream and onion chips are my favorite. and canada dry ginger ale is delicious.

DAYoung
24th May 09, 02:51 AM
Poor Procter & Gamble.

Will they be OK? Can someone go 'round there with ice-cream and a nice BBC Austen adaptation?

Toby Christensen
24th May 09, 03:07 AM
Austen?!

HOW COULD YOU?!

Costume dramas are EVIL!

(except for "Pollyanna" and the entire series of "Hornblower")

DAYoung
24th May 09, 03:15 AM
You just lost all your credibility.

Toby Christensen
24th May 09, 04:51 AM
You sir are a SELLOUT!

A SELLOUT!

*runs from room crying before shutting himself in a room crying petulantly*

DAYoung
24th May 09, 05:11 AM
Tell me what's wrong with Austen.

Right now.

bob
24th May 09, 05:43 AM
Elizabeth's opinion of Mr Darcy only really changed when she realised how much phat loot he had.

Kiko
24th May 09, 06:21 AM
Wait, isn't .... aren't crisps... snacks??

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Q_7fDH3gRiM/SYB9ZtHW1dI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/CTL_ofxVe7I/s320/weight-watchers-commercial.png

^approves of this thread!

Toby Christensen
24th May 09, 07:01 AM
Tell me what's wrong with Austen.

Right now.

A bunch of stuffy people waiting in their impractical clothing, speaking overly flowery prose while waiting to be buried beneath ornate tombstones?

And yes, that IS being morbid.

DAYoung
24th May 09, 07:31 AM
A bunch of stuffy people waiting in their impractical clothing, speaking overly flowery prose while waiting to be buried beneath ornate tombstones

You know, I'm normally quite polite online. I think courtesy is a fine thing - not merely polish, but the very unselfish reach of civilised perception.

But what you just wrote is so FUCKING STUPID, VULGAR and IGNORANT, I simply cannot help myself.

I now have the luxury of not replying to you, out of concern for my own sanity and purity. I thank you for releasing me from a heavy, uncomfortable burden.

Toby Christensen
24th May 09, 10:44 AM
That's a really harsh and unnecessary measure. I will miss our chats.

Ajamil
24th May 09, 02:57 PM
http://nunonbreak.com/tims.jpg

Nice to see I'm not the only one with laptop and USB keyboard combo going.

My mouse is wireless though.

bob
24th May 09, 04:21 PM
You know, I'm normally quite polite online. I think courtesy is a fine thing - not merely polish, but the very unselfish reach of civilised perception.

But what you just wrote is so FUCKING STUPID, VULGAR and IGNORANT, I simply cannot help myself.

I now have the luxury of not replying to you, out of concern for my own sanity and purity. I thank you for releasing me from a heavy, uncomfortable burden.

My criticism was quite a valid one OTOH.

Harpy
24th May 09, 06:49 PM
Elizabeth's opinion of Mr Darcy only really changed when she realised how much phat loot he had.

Absolutely untrue. She initially unfairly judged him based on his wealth and status (and of course due to some small vanity on her part).

DAYoung - I approve.

bob
25th May 09, 07:00 AM
Absolutely untrue. She initially unfairly judged him based on his wealth and status (and of course due to some small vanity on her part).

No.

Bust this y'all. Darcy dissed her and she was all like fuck you then bitch and he was like, yo curse me again it makes me hot momma.

What really turned the tide was when she visited his estate and saw what a great man he was. After that she reinterpreted his character as honourable rather than haughty.

"Jane Austen was the prettiest, silliest most affected husband hunting butterfly ever..." (a contemporary of hers).

Truculent Sheep
25th May 09, 07:23 AM
Wait, isn't .... aren't crisps... snacks??

According to UK tax law, 'snacks' (which is to say, in this case, anything that's not a potato crisp) aren't liable for VAT (value added tax), whereas potato crisps (despite being snacks in the broader sense of the word) are. Who knows why, but that's the legal profession for you.

Kiko
25th May 09, 08:07 AM
It's a good thing they're not called Crisp Snack Chips, then, isn't it?

Truculent Sheep
25th May 09, 10:49 AM
There's something ever so slightly Lewis Caroll about the legal system in England & Wales...

Harpy
26th May 09, 02:02 AM
What really turned the tide was when she visited his estate and saw what a great man he was. After that she reinterpreted his character as honourable rather than haughty.

No! It was his letter, his behaviour towards those under his protection and okay, so his money did play a small part, but essentially it was Elizabeth's ability to let go of her initial prejudice. Plus Darcy looked good in leggings.

"Jane Austen was the prettiest, silliest most affected husband hunting butterfly ever..." (a contemporary of hers).
What a cow.

Toby Christensen
26th May 09, 02:09 AM
I have seen Jane Austen's grave and that of her sister in a photo.

I don't think she was an idiot, I would raise up the original Austen and her sister if I could.

I just don't like her books.

The successfully rejuvenated Austen would make an awesome social critic though.

Harpy
26th May 09, 02:11 AM
You 'don't like her books' yet you state that Ms. Austen would 'make an awesome social critic'. Is there something you're not getting?

Toby Christensen
26th May 09, 02:33 AM
No, I'm saying that her writing style perhaps would be suited to cattyb remarks in the social column.

Although Wilde would and could troll EVERYONE else in the media.

Sun Wukong
26th May 09, 10:10 AM

Anyways, I heard about this today. That will teach them for making a product that once I've popped I can't stop.

Bastards.

I move to criminalize popping; can I get a second to carry the motion to a vote?