PDA

View Full Version : This guitar has seconds to live.

Tom Kagan
19th May 09, 10:22 PM
Happy 64th Birthday, Pete.

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/pete_townsend_les_paul_smash.jpg

"I hope I die before I get old." -- Pete Townsend

I guess he's still working on it.

nr81olQ1ibk

3moose1
20th May 09, 12:10 AM
I would blow my fucking load for a les paul, no lie.

WarPhalange
20th May 09, 01:02 AM
Let's smash a good piece of equipment! Oh man, I'm such a bad boy for doing that!

That's why music sucks these days. They broke all the good instruments.

Steve
20th May 09, 01:19 AM

You'd blow your load for anything with long hair that said "yes."

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th May 09, 01:40 AM

modern LPs are a motherfucking joke, especially at the price
vintage ones can be nice but the LP is just not my guitar

3moose1
20th May 09, 05:36 AM
Modern anything, in terms of guitar, usually sucks.

3moose1
20th May 09, 05:37 AM
You'd blow your load for anything with long hair that said "yes."

But i would actually ENJOY it,

rather then feeling guilty.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th May 09, 06:03 AM

Fender has made a real comeback. In terms of measureable qualities, instead of immaterial bullshit like vintage mojo, a modern Strat is a serious contender against vintage Strats. Beyond that though, there's plenty of luthiers and boutique companies putting out guitars that blow anything vintage away. The specialness of vintage instruments was overblown during a relative drought of quality instruments during the 70s - early 90s, when vintage gear actually was the only decent choice around. These days it doesn't really mean shit, and I'm pretty sick of hearing about people nutting over antiques.

A better case can be made for acoustic instruments, whose tone actually matures with age.

Mr. Mantis
20th May 09, 12:29 PM
A better case can be made for acoustic instruments, whose tone actually matures with age.

Yer darn tootin'!

WarPhalange
20th May 09, 12:45 PM
I hate Fenders. They just seem to big for me. I feel like a kid when I play one. String spacing is pretty big, the body is pretty big, and then the neck heel just completely ruins it since I have small fingers. No way for me to comfortable reach those higher frets. My SG kicks ass, though. I can reach the 22nd fret as if it were the 12th. Body is pretty tiny and the whole guitar is very light. Only thing about it that I don't like is how thick the neck is. If it was shaved off just a bit more, it would be perfect.

LP's, though? No dice. Same as in Fender's case, I just can't get to the high frets. This is actually true of a whole lot of guitars. Only ones I can handle are the through-neck ones that don't fuck it up like an LP.

Tom Kagan
20th May 09, 01:40 PM
_bk04H-NdcY

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th May 09, 02:26 PM
I hate Fenders. They just seem to big for me. I feel like a kid when I play one. String spacing is pretty big, the body is pretty big, and then the neck heel just completely ruins it since I have small fingers.
I agree about the heel, but personally even with my tiny, tiny hands I fucking love Fender's longer scale length. Gibson's tiny 24.75 fretboard can suck it. I have an acoustic with a scale length close to 27 even, and I can dig it.

My SG kicks ass, though. I can reach the 22nd fret as if it were the 12th. Body is pretty tiny and the whole guitar is very light. Only thing about it that I don't like is how thick the neck is. If it was shaved off just a bit more, it would be perfect.

Personally I need a trem, a thin neck, and a guitar that doesn't take a nose dive cause of the heavy neck.

LP's, though? No dice. Same as in Fender's case, I just can't get to the high frets. This is actually true of a whole lot of guitars. Only ones I can handle are the through-neck ones that don't fuck it up like an LP.

The LP was based off of hollow-body guitars. But while hollowbodies don't have a choice about how shitty the upper-fret access is, it's definitely unnecessary on a solid guitar.

FickleFingerOfFate
20th May 09, 03:06 PM

American made Paul Reed Smith;

[/Discussion]

WarPhalange
20th May 09, 03:35 PM
I agree about the heel, but personally even with my tiny, tiny hands I fucking love Fender's longer scale length. Gibson's tiny 24.75 fretboard can suck it. I have an acoustic with a scale length close to 27 even, and I can dig it.

Not talking about scale length, but the string spacing. 0.25" isn't a big deal. But the strings are too far apart from each other. It just feels bulky instead of slick and easy like what I'm looking for.

Personally I need a trem, a thin neck, and a guitar that doesn't take a nose dive cause of the heavy neck.

SG has no neck dive for me. Maybe it's my leather strap causing friction, though.

FickleFingerOfFate
20th May 09, 04:37 PM
Not talking about scale length, but the string spacing. 0.25" isn't a big deal. But the strings are too far apart from each other. It just feels bulky instead of slick and easy like what I'm looking for.

Which neck profile are you referring to?

Some of the Fender necks are almost unplayable for me, as the strings are too close together.

That's why I like the PRS's with the wide-fat necks.

WarPhalange
20th May 09, 05:51 PM
Any of the Strats or Teles. I know they all have different shit, but unless I look at the tag I have no idea what their differences are, usually. Just wide necks. Not cool...

FickleFingerOfFate
20th May 09, 06:47 PM
Then you'd really hate my '63 Strat clone.

It has the old Fender "Boat Neck", seriously wide as Fenders go.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/100_0531_2-1.jpg

WarPhalange
20th May 09, 07:17 PM
No, I wouldn't hate it. Give it to me.

FickleFingerOfFate
20th May 09, 07:49 PM
I can't part with it,

I spent quite a while finding the parts and building it.

It's my second favorite guitar.

FickleFingerOfFate
20th May 09, 07:49 PM

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/100_0576_2.jpg

WarPhalange
20th May 09, 08:10 PM
That one looks really nice.

3moose1
20th May 09, 08:13 PM
My guitars are utter shit,

Well, except for my 2nd acoustic. That one is pretty damn good. A gibson acoustic, this puppy is older then I am, and sounds like sweet, sweet love when i play it.

Edit:

My electrics are pieces of shit, but my acoustics are pretty decent.

FickleFingerOfFate
20th May 09, 08:18 PM
I have an Ovation electric-acoustic.

It looks and sounds great,

but i don't find the bowl-back comfortable or stable.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/CC244Q_lg.jpg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th May 09, 08:32 PM
Some of the Ovations I've tried want to slide right out of my lap, others sit perfectly. Of course since you're probably fat (cause you're old and have a lot of nice guitars = fat, seriously, think about it) I can see why you would take offense.

I'm STILL rocking a POS Squire cause I can't afford anything better, but for an acoustic I got this bitchin' Selmer copy. It's as loud as a cannon and puts even Jumbo-sized acoustics to shame, has a nice slim body, and for the price I paid it definitely punches above its weight.

FickleFingerOfFate
20th May 09, 08:38 PM
I'm not having "lap issues",

it just doesn't sit on my leg well,

and I don't enjoy using a strap with it.

I'm thinking about trading it in for a Martin or a Taylor.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th May 09, 08:41 PM
Have you seen the Martin catalog? They give you a crazy number of options, which is really cool. What kind of acoustic are you looking for? Something LOUD, something bluesy, or a boring old dreadnought for the beach?

FickleFingerOfFate
20th May 09, 08:57 PM
Have you seen the Martin catalog? They give you a crazy number of options, which is really cool. What kind of acoustic are you looking for? Something LOUD, something bluesy, or a boring old dreadnought for the beach?

An Auditorium or Concert model, probably with a cutaway.

I like the deeper waist, since I usually play seated.