PDA

View Full Version : fried shrimp

Robot Jesus
17th May 09, 08:42 PM
looking for a recipie for fried shrimp as I rarely fry.
the goal is to ultimately cover them in tobaso sauce and drink many beers with them.

Ka-Bar
17th May 09, 09:44 PM
INGREDIENTS

* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 2/3 cup beer
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 cups flaked coconut
* 24 shrimp
* 3 cups oil for frying

DIRECTIONS

1. In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.

2. Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer.

3. Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.

Robot Jesus
17th May 09, 10:37 PM
i brined the shrinp in some tobasco, cyanne pepper, garlic and water for about 20 minutes,

going to use your method but replace the beer with some of my brine.

what does the bakeing powder do in this recepie?

Ka-Bar
17th May 09, 10:55 PM
Baking powder leavens the batter, making it lighter.

Throw out that brine, you're going to overwhelm the flavor of the beer, coconut and shrimp.

WarPhalange
18th May 09, 12:34 AM
You should go ask Bubba. He knows everything there is to know about the shrimpin' business.

Neildo
18th May 09, 01:06 AM
my dad would just throw shrimp into a skillet with a little olive oil and fresh minced garlic. no breading or anything. served on rice.

Robot Jesus
18th May 09, 04:10 AM
I was out of eggs, so I made a thin batter out of my brine and some flour. then in dredged them in bread crubs.

turn out pritty good.

danno
19th May 09, 04:36 AM
i2kzjxq0uuQ