PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: A modest review by a modest man.

Sirc
9th May 09, 09:57 PM
It's been a while since I really, really enjoyed a Sci-fi movie. In the early 90's I was introduced to Thundercats and X-men, which started my entire departure into the whole vortex of comics, sci-fi, imagination and whatever else have you. In 92' my cousin showed me a wonderful little Sci-fi movie that I came to know as Star Wars. It was a great little film that would live on in infamy. Around the same time, I was given the opportunity to watch another Sci-fi series entitled, "Star Trek." I thought, "YAY!" A TV show of a movie I absolutely love.

Boy was I wrong. Star Trek has always been secretly one of my favorite Sci-fi things. Star Wars to me was a gritty, expansive universe with little explanation of the science and engineering of he technology. It was like reading a fantasy novel set in the future and it was brilliant. Star Trek was like reading a fantasy novel set in a physics book. It didn't care if you understood it or not, but it took you on an amazing voyage through our Galaxy.

And that brings us here, to the recent release of the Star Trek movie.

This movie serves us with getting treated to a show that tells a story about James T. Kirk and Spock. Basically, some bad stuff happened and the Romulans are trying to kill the Federation... again. They're like a corny evil villain who just can't stop attacking the protagonist no matter how many times they get thwarted. But this next plan will be flawless! They'll get those darned Federation some day!

The movie focuses around Spock and Kirk and their (mis)adventure in the Galaxy. To not spoil anything, the actors Unknown dude and Sylar are really believable and equally unbelievably amazing together and individually, both play their parts splendidly. The casting was spectacular. Harold was great as Sulu. The kid in Justin Timberlake's movie was hilarious as Chekov, Shawn from Shawn of the Dead absolutely just stole the movie as Scotty, Anamaria from Pirates was an excellent Uhura, Eomer made a very believable Bones, Old Spock was great as Old spock, and even Cameron from house was great for her 10 minutes she was in the movie. The only person I didn't have much care for was Shitty Bruce Banner as the bad guy Nero. He did good, but was not nearly as noteworthy as the rest of the cast. Bana is a good actor, but he is just so... so... oh-what-is-the-word, bland? Yes, bland. That is it. Bland. Poor fellow. The casting is, to be frank, incredibly well done.

Star Trek has a whimsical way of keeping the entire movie interesting all the way through. If it isn't being story driven, it's funny, if it's not funny, it's giving you money shots of the ships, if it's not doing that, it's giving you action, if it's not doing that, it's giving you story. The cycle is so perfectly balanced even when it's over, you just want more and more. You say to yourself, "No, no, no, no, please, give me more of this movie." Despite it being a walk from the continuity, it plainly explains that it is an alternate reality that can't be changed due to the events that happened in the movie, and you know what you continuity obsessed fanboys who nitpick far too much and should get a job/girlfriend and leave this alone! It is O-K. Nobody will get hurt, I promise you this.

The story isn't groundbreaking or really all that inspiring, but it does its job and makes it a powerfully wonderful Star Trek flick. It's filled with action adventure, whimsy and wonder. Which is something you don't need a complex or intricate storyline to make watchable and wonderful. This doesn't mean that it doesn't have it's faults, however. It still has holes in the plotline, such as, why couldn't Star Base 1 just put holes into the Romulan ship? Hmm? Yes their technology was 130 years out of date, but you can still crush a man's skull with a cudgel even if he does have a gun and a kevlar vest. Especially if your cudgel is 10 times larger than him. Or why didn't the Earth Fleet defend Earth? If you know anything about Star Trek, you'll know that Star Fleet keeps a small armada of ships in the Solar System to keep watch over Earth.

The score was well chosen in the beginning of the movie and then as it went on, it seemed like kind of an after thought. Nothing much here to be appreciative of, just a nod to it.

My greatest complaint about SFX, and this is especially true with Star Wars, is that it's nearly ALWAYS completely overdone. If you shoot EVERYTHING with special effects, they're no longer special. Most of the film is shot on a lot with a green screen, but it's not overdone. The SFX in this movie is just right with the right amount of balance between CGI and just good old fashioned technique with a camera. This is a feat that is hard to do in a Sci-fi movie, and done in such a way that it doesn't detract from the rest of the movie.

Overall, I'd say the movie is an 8/10. What it lacks (score, depth, plotholes) it makes up for in entertainment and being a GOOD sci-fi flick. Which is something that I haven't seen in such a long time. In fact the last time I saw a good sci-fi movie was Sunshine (another movie I really recommend) and before that was The Matrix. I really, really, rea-lly recommend that you go watch this movie. In the group that I was with, there was a girl who doesn't like anything sci-fi at all and she really enjoyed the movie. I hope they make another one. And most importantly of all, this was just-a-good-movie.

Artful Dentures
9th May 09, 11:16 PM
Nice review Sirc

In trying to think of older sci-fi movies you may never heard of I recommend a New Zealand Gem called "the Quite Earth" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/ tp further your education and blow your mind

WarPhalange
10th May 09, 12:34 AM
Don't give a shit, title stolen from Maddox who probably stole it from someone else.

Sirc
10th May 09, 02:01 AM
Don't give a shit, title stolen from Maddox who probably stole it from someone else.

I actually got it from one of my literary history classes from a few years back pre-maddox, which I'm sure it's what he got it from.

It was some title for some poem that went something like "A modest poem by a modest man." or something. I can't remember exactly, but I thought it was funny and used it since then.

Sirc
10th May 09, 02:08 AM
By the way, i'll come back through and edit this, I was writing this while playing Pixeljunk racer with a bunch of my friends.

DAYoung
10th May 09, 02:08 AM
Thanks, C. I'll read this after I've seen it.

WarPhalange
10th May 09, 02:09 AM
I actually got it from one of my literary history classes from a few years back pre-maddox, which I'm sure it's what he got it from.

It was some title for some poem that went something like "A modest poem by a modest man." or something. I can't remember exactly, but I thought it was funny and used it since then.

Poems? Fag.

Sirc
10th May 09, 02:16 AM
Thanks, C. I'll read this after I've seen it.

There aren't any spoilers in this review.

I think you'll enjoy it as a movie. It sets great foundation for future movies based on it.

Pretty much this is like Ultimate Star Trek (ala Ultimate Marvel).

partyboy
10th May 09, 02:26 AM
props to sirc for me actually agreeing with him for once...

and also for the true title of the "modest" man - lol.

elipson
10th May 09, 05:12 AM

"A modest Proposal" perhaps?

Good review.

Sirc
10th May 09, 10:58 AM
"A modest Proposal" perhaps?

Good review.

I think that might have been it. I honestly can't remember.

elipson
10th May 09, 12:37 PM
Did it involve eating babies? Hard to forget a story like that.

http://www.uoregon.edu/~rbear/modest.html

Ajamil
10th May 09, 01:06 PM
Are we spoiling yet? Don't want to ruin this for anyone, but it was a great movie nicely presented in a great review.

Props to young Spock for showing more skill in fighting than an entire concurrent movie titled after the activity. Judo trip!!

Don't mind the fantastical red matter, but the nerd in me was rather miffed by the lack of trying to make a black hole actually look like a black hole. Lightning storm in space? What? Perhaps if you take black hole to merely be an ease of expression, and red matter singularity does something radically different than a black hole - as evidenced by the time/dimensional travel.

Bones was done well, but I thought that was actually a problem. The dude playing him seemed forced to try and be more like original. A lot of his lines might as well have been him looking at the camera and going "We're on a star trek!"

I thought the time travel redux of the franchise was a nice way to ensure sequels if it does well (and I think it will) without feeling too forced. Now with such radical changes (namely in Spock's life) it makes it easier for a new actor to fit into the role, and you can explore different what-if's (like Spock getting with U'huru and choosing a more human path).

OZZ
10th May 09, 06:13 PM

Among the best satirical pieces ever written..

Sirc
10th May 09, 06:47 PM

Homie, I read about 2 novels a week, bro. I forget a lot of shit.

Are we spoiling yet? Don't want to ruin this for anyone, but it was a great movie nicely presented in a great review.

Props to young Spock for showing more skill in fighting than an entire concurrent movie titled after the activity. Judo trip!!

Don't mind the fantastical red matter, but the nerd in me was rather miffed by the lack of trying to make a black hole actually look like a black hole. Lightning storm in space? What? Perhaps if you take black hole to merely be an ease of expression, and red matter singularity does something radically different than a black hole - as evidenced by the time/dimensional travel.

Bones was done well, but I thought that was actually a problem. The dude playing him seemed forced to try and be more like original. A lot of his lines might as well have been him looking at the camera and going "We're on a star trek!"

I thought the time travel redux of the franchise was a nice way to ensure sequels if it does well (and I think it will) without feeling too forced. Now with such radical changes (namely in Spock's life) it makes it easier for a new actor to fit into the role, and you can explore different what-if's (like Spock getting with U'huru and choosing a more human path).

No spoilers yet, brosephine.

But I will say that an electrical storm isn't out of the realm of possibility in space. Electricity survives outside of an atmosphere.

Sirc
10th May 09, 08:46 PM
Rewritten for not retarded soundingness.

HappyOldGuy
10th May 09, 10:32 PM
Just got back from seeing it.

Mostly agree with the review. I think the new Kirk is actually really awful, but in an homage to Shatner sort of way that I can stomach. SylerSpock was brilliant casting as was the rest.

I give it 8/10.

They lose a point right off the top for using a time travel plot.

Sirc
10th May 09, 10:36 PM
I think he was a great Shatner -> Kirk homage.

Ajamil
11th May 09, 12:08 AM
He's a lot more like the TV show Kirk (search out new life forms...and see if we can shag `em) than anything in the movies. It was just put in the flashier style of modern movies.

Quikfeet509
12th May 09, 07:49 PM
The acting made this movie.

But the complete assraping of the entire Star Trek universe is ghey. Time travel is sophomoric plot point and fuck everyone that uses it because once you start dealing with time travel [like the first season of Enterprise], everything else becomes mundane.

6/10.

Fuck.

elipson
13th May 09, 12:17 AM
Just got back from seeing it and I'm torn. As a life-long trekky, I was of two minds.

On the one hand, this was a pretty fucking sweet movie. Lots of explosions and AWESOME special effects. Lots of fighting, lots of cool shit, a red shirt dying in a totally predictable and almost hilarious way. Sulu pulling out a foldable Katana when you least expect it. Kirk rolling around with a green skinned babe.

But on the other hand, it's NOT startrek. In no fucking way. It's kind of like how Batman Begins was nothing like the previous Batmans. It was awesome, but a complete revisioning of what the movie was. StarTrek is the same kind of revisioning. And there was a lack of any kind of moral theme, which is present in most other ST movies. The movie was mainly eye-candy and cool fighting. And I agree that the antagonist was a shitty actor.

In all, its absolutely worth seeing. In the theatre.

But does it add to the Startrek franchise? ..... maybe not....

Sirc
13th May 09, 03:09 AM
Just got back from seeing it and I'm torn. As a life-long trekky, I was of two minds.

On the one hand, this was a pretty fucking sweet movie. Lots of explosions and AWESOME special effects. Lots of fighting, lots of cool shit, a red shirt dying in a totally predictable and almost hilarious way. Sulu pulling out a foldable Katana when you least expect it. Kirk rolling around with a green skinned babe.

But on the other hand, it's NOT startrek. In no fucking way. It's kind of like how Batman Begins was nothing like the previous Batmans. It was awesome, but a complete revisioning of what the movie was. StarTrek is the same kind of revisioning. And there was a lack of any kind of moral theme, which is present in most other ST movies. The movie was mainly eye-candy and cool fighting. And I agree that the antagonist was a shitty actor.

I know I say this a lot, but this is one of those times wherein I really mean it.

But you are wrong. The moral theme behind this? Friendship. Foundation. Being strong for yourself. It was all there plain as day.

The next one will be amazing.

Artful Dentures
13th May 09, 06:35 AM

But does it add to the Star Trek franchise? ..... maybe not....

I understand what you're saying in many ways this wasn't a "Star Trek" movie

I disagree in that I think this movie was about establishing the characters including their moral compasses

The morality of Star Trek has always been focused around choices. Spock and Kirk have to make several difficult choices.

Having established this I am dying to see what they do with the next installment

EuropIan
13th May 09, 08:50 AM
I liked how they killed any kanon pickers by going: "parallel universe, motherfucka"

it was genuinely entertaining.

elipson
13th May 09, 12:14 PM
But you are wrong. The moral theme behind this? Friendship. Foundation. Being strong for yourself. It was all there plain as day.

It didn't feel at all contrived and superficial in any way to you? It was TOO plain as day. What was the hard choice they had to make? Trust? Did it make you think about ANY big moral decision, like the way most of the other movies did? Other than the creative/confusing physics they used to make the plot work?

Friendship? Foundation? Trust in yourself? You make it sound like an afterschool special. Those aren't really the thought provoking themes I've come to expect. Those things were always secondary issues that underplayed a bigger moral question in the ST movies. Although secondary, they were important because they connected and advanced between movies, while the primary conflict always changed.

And if Nero was able to travel back in time with the red matter to blow up Vulcan, why didn't he go and SAVE ROMULAS!!!!! Wouldn't that be a more constructive use of his time?

Leonard Nemoys character kind of annoyed me too because he was just too un-Spok-ish.

I'm not slammin the movie at all, but it was much more superficial than the others in the franchise. It was superficial in an awesome way, a way that makes me want to go see it again in the theatre, but superficial nonetheless.

Artful Dentures
13th May 09, 01:20 PM
Star Trek has alway been contrived.

ALWAYS

but that's ok.

What excited me about this is that I think all the new guy capture the essence of the original characters but in a new way.

Like I said new spock is intriguing

Macoy as older divorced and bitter - very interesting

Checov as a brilliant 17 year old - fascinating

Uhura - as a S's love interest - wow

Lots of great interaction for these guys

elipson
13th May 09, 01:30 PM
I like how they made Checovs character say as many V's as they could fit into the script.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th May 09, 02:05 PM
And if Nero was able to travel back in time with the red matter to blow up Vulcan, why didn't he go and SAVE ROMULAS!!!!! Wouldn't that be a more constructive use of his time?

That was a complete accident and they had no control over when they would come out. What was he supposed to do, wait a century for the star to blow up again?

Ajamil
13th May 09, 02:46 PM
I figured his plan of destroying the Federation was in order to save Romulus. The vengeance against Spock was just a bonus...or rather they were both the point of and the bonus of the mission - kinda sweet, really.

As for the moral of the story, there was a bit for Kirk in the be-your-own-man vs. Father's-shadow and ending in some synapsis of the two, but I figured the movie's main point was showing new Spock taking a more human turn than old Spock. As seen in losing his mother - a big tempering agent in his life before and in losing Vulcan - quite literally the other half of his heritage.

HappyOldGuy
13th May 09, 02:51 PM
Evil Spyler is the only thing that gives me hope for the new movies.

Hedley LaMarr
13th May 09, 03:12 PM

I don't see how this "is NOT Star Trek." The Star Trek I grew up watching had stories about spaceships, hot green wimmenz and lazer guns that masked tales about morality, along with a little character development thrown in for good measure. I think this movie revitalizes the franchise in a much needed way. The last few series have been bogged down with too much character development, to the point where it overshadowed the stories and the shows became little more than soap operas set in starships at times. If that's what "Star Trek" is supposed to be about, then it really needed to be revisioned.

OZZ
14th May 09, 06:08 PM
I enjoyed it..not a huge fan of Star Trek, but this movie was easy to like.
8/10

Robot Jesus
15th May 09, 04:22 AM
the only real problem i have is two fold

no real philosophical meat

and more importantly the ice monster chase seen was too long and boring. kirk collapsing after traversing miles of arctic tundra would have been more interesting, because the preceding scene was a vertical version of what they went with.

EuropIan
15th May 09, 10:06 AM
In retrospect, Nero was a weak villain.

Robot Jesus
15th May 09, 03:16 PM
I would like to add the movie was awesome, just felt too much like a fangasm.

Steve
16th May 09, 01:42 AM
I thought it was pretty great. Agree about the guy who played Bones forcing his character to sound too much like the original (though the back story for him was funny as hell).

Also enjoyed the homage to The Voyage Home (Scotty gives a formula to create transparent aluminum to a manufacturer in order to bring the whales to future earth, Spock gives Scotty the equation to make "super transporters" possible).

Quikfeet509
17th May 09, 05:01 PM
Of course now the Voyage Home probably won't happen.

Steve
17th May 09, 05:09 PM
Of course now the Voyage Home probably won't happen.

Unless the events of this film some how bring back hump backed whales, I think there is a real possibility it will.

Quikfeet509
17th May 09, 08:18 PM
If Spock dies again saving the Enterprise from the Reliant, then I guess it's plausible that he will get reborn by the elders that were saved from Vulcan.

Problem is, while Spock was recuperating, the probe hit Earth. If the crew of the Enterprise are already there, then their Bird of Prey would be incapacitated just like the rest of Star Fleet.

Steve
17th May 09, 08:40 PM
True, but when does the Enterprise hang around Earth anyway? They are supposed to be exploring.

AAAhmed46
18th May 09, 01:50 AM
Why did the romulin not just shoot sulu?

Ajamil
18th May 09, 11:10 AM
aaand mark. We've just started arguing whether THIS time travel will mess with another Star Trek movie's time travel. Finding out the exact size of the engine room and how long it would actually take to run from there to the bridge will commence in about a week.

elipson
18th May 09, 03:49 PM
Did anyone else notice the abundance of pipes and other industrial things in the ship? Looked more like a factory than a top of the line space ship.

Sirc
19th May 09, 03:55 AM
Did anyone else notice the abundance of pipes and other industrial things in the ship? Looked more like a factory than a top of the line space ship.

I gues you've never been inside a ship before have you?

elipson
19th May 09, 07:58 AM
A starship? Nope.

But judging from the other startreks, pipes go out of style in ships sometime in the near future.

Sirc
19th May 09, 04:49 PM
A starship? Nope.

But judging from the other startreks, pipes go out of style in ships sometime in the near future.

No. Like any kind of ship.

Dark Helmet
19th May 09, 04:54 PM
I actually hated engineering on the new Enterprise. Looked like a fucking beer bottling plant.I half expected Laverne and Shirley to come out from around the corner to sing their opening theme song.

mRmKzxhMzwo

Steve
19th May 09, 05:00 PM
They're saving that for the director's cut.

elipson
19th May 09, 05:13 PM
No. Like any kind of ship.
It's not any kind of ship. It's a flying ship. From the future.

try to pay attention junior.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
19th May 09, 11:05 PM
WAAAAH THEY ENVISION A DIFFERENT FUTURE THAN I DO
seriously, pipes? you count that as a blunder? get the fuck out of here.

mrblackmagic
19th May 09, 11:17 PM
Pipes? Rent the Star Trek movie with the Klingon admiral who quotes Shakespeare.

Sirc
20th May 09, 08:18 AM
It's not any kind of ship. It's a flying ship. From the future.

try to pay attention junior.

I was going to go into a thing about engineering and how every new thing is still based of of something old and about how Enterprise wasn't too terribly far into the future and they have yet to hire the queer to come and do some design work for making the engineering bay more aesthetically pleasing.

But I decided that would be way too above your head.

Carry on.

A.D.D
20th May 09, 12:50 PM
I like how the bridge was designed by the Dozer division of Apple.

Dark Helmet
20th May 09, 04:24 PM
There's one other aspect of the engine room on the new enterprise. It's way too big. Imagine if you will that entire factory sized room suddenly opening-up to space. Every person in that area would suffocate or just get blown out into space. The ship should have designed with compartments in-mind.

This is how SpaceBall 1 is built.