PDA

View Full Version : Obama abstains from continuing 'abstinence only education'

TheLordHumungus
7th May 09, 11:01 PM
One more idiotic idea from the last administration bites the dust. (http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/u/AFY_Joe/2009/5/7/Obamas-new-budget-ELIMINATES-abstinenceonly-funding) Just when I start to dislike Obama for some of his moderate/'center-right' moments, he gives me something like this to take the edge off a little. Makes it hard not to like the guy.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9743/abstinences.jpg

JohnnyCache
8th May 09, 02:56 AM
man I feel sorry for that poor bastard

being tasked with dragging red-state amerikkka out of the stone age

I bet he looks like morgan freeman 7 years from now

Robot Jesus
8th May 09, 05:48 AM
if he did he could probably get an amendment to run for a third term, years of movies have conditioned me to trust Mr.Freeman to the ends of the earth; and if theres is one thing America needs its a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro

indy007
8th May 09, 07:34 AM
He drops abstinence only which is a good thing, but then torpedoes the voucher program in DC. 4 applicants for every slot, and the Dems capped the program off. Sorry poor little black child, no education for you, even if it repeatedly gets far superior results at half the price of the public school system.

On top of all of that, his brilliant idea to reform education is to... throw more money at it, NCLB 2.0... yeah that'll work so well when you're just reinforcing teacher unions that make it take 100 years to fire somebody for incompetence.

Zendetta
8th May 09, 03:49 PM
man I feel sorry for that poor bastard

being tasked with dragging red-state amerikkka out of the stone age

I bet he looks like morgan freeman 7 years from now

Hmmm. Too bad we didn't get VP Sarah Palin.

ie, "Who needs Sex Ed when you can have a shotgun wedding?!??!"

WarPhalange
8th May 09, 03:54 PM
I hate teacher's unions. All of my best teachers hated them too.

They should have formed a union and fought against them, then.

jkdbuck76
8th May 09, 03:58 PM
I also hate the teacher unions. My wife was a member her entire teaching career and when the moment came to do their job and cover her ass, they covered their own and she lost her job.

No Child Left Behind is 110% unfiltered PURE SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!

The special ed kids get put in general ed classes no matter what. The general ed teachers who have NO experience teaching special ed are stuck with them. Many special ed teachers hide behind their paperwork and spend more time shuffling paper instead of being in front of a class teaching. Or when their job is to be in the learning lab helping out the LD kids, they are nowhere to be found. And this is because the usually-inept administrators don't take charge and make the teachers teach.

new2bjj
8th May 09, 05:56 PM
Hmmm. Too bad we didn't get VP Sarah Palin.

ie, "Who needs Sex Ed when you can have a shotgun wedding?!??!"

Dude, you beat me to it. Maybe we can have Bristol Palin teach it. I'm sure everyone saw her cautionary "Don't be a teen mom!" right along with "This baby is the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me!!!". Which is it?

Expect the baby daddy on reality tv any day now.

Spade: The Real Snake
8th May 09, 07:28 PM
Maury Povich is currently sending Obama a Muffin Basket thanking him for Four More Years worth of "Who Da Baby-Daddy" shows.

Go buy that second boat, Maury, you are safe......and hopefully we won't get nationalized health care plans anytime soon.....it is bad enough I have to fucking chip in for AHCCCS, I really don't want to have to pay for the rest of the fucking US's unstoppable flow of bastards.

Boyd
8th May 09, 10:58 PM
Yeah, universal health care will be an abomination. Sure, it won't raise your taxes, won't be forcibly imposed on you, and will provide affordable coverage to people who otherwise can't afford any of the vastly useless and expensive private plans offered by present insurance, but.....well I was going somewhere with this.

Boyd
8th May 09, 11:04 PM
He drops abstinence only which is a good thing, but then torpedoes the voucher program in DC. 4 applicants for every slot, and the Dems capped the program off. Sorry poor little black child, no education for you, even if it repeatedly gets far superior results at half the price of the public school system.

On top of all of that, his brilliant idea to reform education is to... throw more money at it, NCLB 2.0... yeah that'll work so well when you're just reinforcing teacher unions that make it take 100 years to fire somebody for incompetence.

Maybe there's a lesson here.

Maybe, if charter schools are better than public schools, the lesson isn't to provide vouchers on the insane basis that turning a free service into a paid one somehow benefits the poor. Perhaps instead we should make the public schools better.

And maybe, just maybe, to be better, public schools need more money. I don't know what part of Delaware you grew up in Little Lord Fauntleroy, but I have never gone to a public school that was adequately funded.

WarPhalange
8th May 09, 11:12 PM
I really don't want to have to pay for the rest of the fucking US's unstoppable flow of bastards.
You already are. People who are feeling sick and don't have insurance don't go to the doctor. People who are feeling like they are about to die and don't have insurance go to the emergency room, though. They don't have the money to pay their ER bills (which are fucking HUGE, especially if you get a cab ride to the hospital via an ambulance). The hospital wants money. Guess who pays? The government. Guess who gives the government money? Your dumb ass.

So now ask yourself, is it better to pay for someone's doctor's visit and antibiotics or to pay for their ambulance ride, room in the hospital, various tests, and nurses that make sure you don't suddenly die from a terminal throat infection or some shit?

Look at this pragmatically, not ideologically. Do you want to pay less for other people? Do you want other people to stay healthy? Do you fucking understand that people who get really sick don't go to work and hence more of the tax burden falls on you? Then the best choice is universal healthcare. Ask yourself what it is you really want.

8th May 09, 11:20 PM
You already are. People who are feeling sick and don't have insurance don't go to the doctor. People who are feeling like they are about to die and don't have insurance go to the emergency room, though. They don't have the money to pay their ER bills (which are fucking HUGE, especially if you get a cab ride to the hospital via an ambulance). The hospital wants money. Guess who pays? The government. Guess who gives the government money? Your dumb ass.

So now ask yourself, is it better to pay for someone's doctor's visit and antibiotics or to pay for their ambulance ride, room in the hospital, various tests, and nurses that make sure you don't suddenly die from a terminal throat infection or some shit?

Look at this pragmatically, not ideologically. Do you want to pay less for other people? Do you want other people to stay healthy? Do you fucking understand that people who get really sick don't go to work and hence more of the tax burden falls on you? Then the best choice is universal healthcare. Ask yourself what it is you really want.

Why do you presupposed I am automatically looking at this in an ideological fashion yet you are not?

WarPhalange
8th May 09, 11:40 PM
Because of your language. Typical Republican/conservative "I want my money and I don't want to share" line, while completely ignoring any sort of actual statistics.

If I am looking at this in an ideological fashion, then tell me how. Because honestly, I thought I was looking at this as "I want Goal. HOW DO GET GOAL??" An ideology would typically have me wanting to get this goal in a specific manner, such as stopping gang warfare by increasing police force, making shitty school programs, and locking up kids to punish them for being jackasses only to have them come out of prison angrier and with less to lose, instead of just making the safer drugs illegal so that gangs don't have any funding, lots of kids stop doing them because it's not "cool" anymore, while also giving cops more time/resources to catch dealers/makers of the harder drugs which would still be a big deal.

TheLordHumungus
9th May 09, 01:05 AM
Maury Povich is currently sending Obama a Muffin Basket thanking him for Four More Years worth of "Who Da Baby-Daddy" shows.

Go buy that second boat, Maury, you are safe......and hopefully we won't get nationalized health care plans anytime soon.....it is bad enough I have to fucking chip in for AHCCCS, I really don't want to have to pay for the rest of the fucking US's unstoppable flow of bastards.

I know, dammit. And just as teenagers were about to stop having premarital sex. We were so close. Now they're gonna learn about and have access to birth control, and that's just gonna encourage them to fuck like rabbits. Stupid liberals.

9th May 09, 09:49 AM
Because of your language. Typical Republican/conservative "I want my money and I don't want to share" line, while completely ignoring any sort of actual statistics.

If I am looking at this in an ideological fashion, then tell me how. Because honestly, I thought I was looking at this as "I want Goal. HOW DO GET GOAL??" An ideology would typically have me wanting to get this goal in a specific manner, such as stopping gang warfare by increasing police force, making shitty school programs, and locking up kids to punish them for being jackasses only to have them come out of prison angrier and with less to lose, instead of just making the safer drugs illegal so that gangs don't have any funding, lots of kids stop doing them because it's not "cool" anymore, while also giving cops more time/resources to catch dealers/makers of the harder drugs which would still be a big deal.
So you were able to peer inside my Polictical Affiliations from this:

While Boyd posted this right before me:

Yeah, universal health care will be an abomination. Sure, it won't raise your taxes, won't be forcibly imposed on you, and will provide affordable coverage to people who otherwise can't afford any of the vastly useless and expensive private plans offered by present insurance, but.....well I was going somewhere with this

As for your statement of "offering statistics", you probably shouldn't chastise me with one breath while failing to offer statistics of your own and instead opting for pulling some nonsensical unrelated prison/drug parable.

9th May 09, 09:51 AM
I know, dammit. And just as teenagers were about to stop having premarital sex. We were so close. Now they're gonna learn about and have access to birth control, and that's just gonna encourage them to fuck like rabbits. Stupid liberals.

That's because they are too busy trying to force GHEY marriage everywhere.

They need to concentrate on one unrealistic goal at a time. First the ghey marriage, then the fucking, then the drugs.

Make a list and stick to it.

TheLordHumungus
10th May 09, 12:05 PM
"Forcing" the gay marriage has worked in 5 states. Show me one state in which unwed teens have chosen to remain virgins.

10th May 09, 12:50 PM
I would say Utah, but the teens are all married there.

Cullion
10th May 09, 05:02 PM
It's a good job sex-education works, or countries that devote big tranches tax-payer money to hiring marxist bull-dykes to preach it wouldn't be overrun with teenage bastard spawn.

But no really, just carry on, because the alternative is too horrible to contemplate.

Just-sayin'

TheLordHumungus
11th May 09, 01:48 AM
Wasn't it Churchill who said that "English women take to sex like ducks take to baseball?"

Easier to resist temptation when the temptation isn't that great.

indy007
12th May 09, 02:08 PM

Maybe, if charter schools are better than public schools, the lesson isn't to provide vouchers on the insane basis that turning a free service into a paid one somehow benefits the poor. Perhaps instead we should make the public schools better.

And maybe, just maybe, to be better, public schools need more money. I don't know what part of Delaware you grew up in Little Lord Fauntleroy, but I have never gone to a public school that was adequately funded.

Then perhaps your parents should have been responsible enough to move you to a school that did not suck ass? My school district has so much funding they built a $80 million dollar highschool sports stadium. They just rape everybody around here on property taxes to pull it off.

Now, lets look at this with some common sense. First, no service is free. You're smoking crack. Everything has to be paid for. What you're doing, is telling the poor students hey, fuck you, you have to go to this piece of shit and everybody else is going to pay twice as much for you to go there and get fucked.

The money is already there. They get twice as much as the private schools, and perform inferior service.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense to be fiscally responsible and plan for the future by sending kids to the best place available to them.

Why do you hate poor black children?

Cullion
12th May 09, 07:00 PM
Wasn't it Churchill who said that "English women take to sex like ducks take to baseball?"

Easier to resist temptation when the temptation isn't that great.

Churchill loved his wife very much, but otherwise had a jaundiced view of women. His mother was basically an upper-class whore.

Cullion
12th May 09, 07:01 PM
Then perhaps your parents should have been responsible enough to move you to a school that did not suck ass? My school district has so much funding they built a $80 million dollar highschool sports stadium. They just rape everybody around here on property taxes to pull it off.

He doesn't hate anybody, he's just saying that he doesn't understand why it might encourage higher performance from the school staff if funding was linked in some way to performance as judged by the parents.

That's a public-school education for you, right there.

Hedley LaMarr
12th May 09, 07:47 PM

There are several public school systems with more than adequate funding. Lake Geneva, WI, for example, has ridiculous funding for it's schools thanks to rich people from Chicago who buy property in the area for summer homes and shit but who do not live there, thus do not get to vote against a local politician who wants to increase the property tax on their summer mansions. It's a pretty sweet setup.

On the other hand you have the Milwaukee public school system, which sucks.

My old high school also just got a new athletic complex, complete with a fancy high-tech weight room. I was against this, because I really loved the old weightroom because it was dank. So what if it had a little asbestos...

Ajamil
12th May 09, 11:37 PM
I'd like to hear what anyone has seen about musical or art programs tho. You almost never hear of a school not cutting funding to the music programs.

Shawarma
13th May 09, 09:11 AM
Something I notice: Some of you claim that schools are totally well funded and cite new sports complexes as proof. Is it true that there's a strong tendency for American colleges and high school to throw a disproportionate amount of money at sports related stuff because it's simply more lucrative than improving actual academics? So the schools with brand new stadiums you cite could have crumbling crappy classrooms and horrible facilities for actual learning.

Any truth to this generalisation?

Hedley LaMarr
13th May 09, 09:23 AM
Something I notice: Some of you claim that schools are totally well funded and cite new sports complexes as proof. Is it true that there's a strong tendency for American colleges and high school to throw a disproportionate amount of money at sports related stuff because it's simply more lucrative than improving actual academics? So the schools with brand new stadiums you cite could have crumbling crappy classrooms and horrible facilities for actual learning.

Any truth to this generalisation?
Every high school in Texas would fit that description.

In the examples I used, no. Lake Geneva's got nice classrooms and my high school is recieving 10 new classrooms and central ac.

socratic
14th May 09, 09:20 AM
I was in the private system and my mother taught in the public system. The main problem isn't that teachers don't do their job; they do their jobs fine, it's just the students tend to fail at doing their job of learning and not being a little shit with no idea how much he/she is fucking up his/her life. Pour all the riff-raff into one place and it will guaranteed be a shitty place of education.

Private schools are better a) because they're often bankrolled by huge religions b) take less students c) are able to be selective and most importantly d) are able to expel. If you're a super fuck-up they can just kick you the fuck out and send your parents a letter saying "Go fuck yourselves, PS Your money is really awesome btw".

Parents are the worst judge of performance around because they're unable to realise their little shit lies to them constantly. Making parents arbiters on anything relating to schooling will just end up shit [beyond like a PnC or PnF group or something, but they don't [I]really do shit]. Saying funding should be linked with perceived performance as parents see it is like saying a baseball team should get funding based on the perceptions of the drunkest, white-trashiest, retarded-est fans in the stadium.

socratic
14th May 09, 09:30 AM
I was at an Anglican school, which has no-where near the bank the Vatican does, and the school spent all 7 of my years there building new buildings and outfitting them with tens of thousands of dollars in modern electronics. The local public school hasn't updated anything in decades and I bet aside from your sports stadiums most of your public schools aren't that rich either.

I can bet you never hear this from a public school principal: "We decided the 200 i-book-mac-wank 5000X just wasn't working for us, so we ditched them in favour of 400 new iRichBitch 60XLs, so now both our old computer lab and the new one we just build are outfitted." That happened 3 times at my private school and never at any of the public schools I've been to, heard of, etc.

HappyOldGuy
14th May 09, 11:10 AM
I was at an Anglican school, which has no-where near the bank the Vatican does, and the school spent all 7 of my years there building new buildings and outfitting them with tens of thousands of dollars in modern electronics. The local public school hasn't updated anything in decades and I bet aside from your sports stadiums most of your public schools aren't that rich either.

I can bet you never hear this from a public school principal: "We decided the 200 i-book-mac-wank 5000X just wasn't working for us, so we ditched them in favour of 400 new iRichBitch 60XLs, so now both our old computer lab and the new one we just build are outfitted." That happened 3 times at my private school and never at any of the public schools I've been to, heard of, etc.

Sure we did. On a brand new campus. We also had fully funded music, sports, and arts programs, a huge campus with two sports stadiums, and AP everything.
Go visit a public high school in Fremont, or anywhere in silicon valley. Then go to oakland. Little study in conrasts there.

socratic
15th May 09, 01:41 AM
Sure we did. On a brand new campus. We also had fully funded music, sports, and arts programs, a huge campus with two sports stadiums, and AP everything.
Go visit a public high school in Fremont, or anywhere in silicon valley. Then go to oakland. Little study in conrasts there.

So you were in a rich neighbourhood is what you're saying.

HappyOldGuy
15th May 09, 10:51 AM
So you were in a rich neighbourhood is what you're saying.

Sorta, yeah. Although it's more about not being in a poor one.

WarPhalange
15th May 09, 11:22 AM
The main problem isn't that teachers don't do their job; they do their jobs fine, it's just the students tend to fail at doing their job of learning and not being a little shit with no idea how much he/she is fucking up his/her life. Pour all the riff-raff [I don't necessarily mean economically] into one place and it will guaranteed be a shitty place of education.

lol wut? What experience do you have with the American school system? Clearly not much, if you think it has anything to do with learning. It's all busy work. You're in school 7 hours a day, and 90% of your homework is finding words in the book and regurgitating them onto your paper. The rare "critical thinking" exercise they throw your way doesn't actually include any more thinking, just more writing, making it even more boring and tedious.

That's why kids don't want to be in school and don't give a fuck. Whoever is in charge decided that kids are somehow too stupid to learn and they should just copy shit from the book all day instead. High school was the biggest waste of my time so far in life. My school has a program that lets you go to community college for the last two years for free. I didn't find out about it until after I graduated. My sister is currently taking advantage of that, though. 7 hours per day -> 3 hours per day, same *amount* of homework, but harder. But she's actually learning. Actually having to think about stuff and not have her hand held the entire way. And she's doing fine. No, she's not a genious. Academics isn't one of her strengths, to be honest. But that just goes to show you that regular kids can handle this shit, they just aren't given the chance. It's like buying a pit bull, confining it to a small backyard, and wondering why he never has any energy or wants to play or run around. Cuz you're not letting him!!

You are forcing kids to be bored and then complaining when they don't do what you tell them to. Tell them to learn something on their own, without any guidance, and see what happens. They'll struggle at first, but they'll get the hang of it and learn 10x faster than school lets them.

Robot Jesus
15th May 09, 04:56 PM
I learned more in my grade 11 phisics class then I did in all my other classes put together.

why?

because I sat in the back and read thus spoke zarathustra the whole time.

socratic
15th May 09, 07:30 PM
You are forcing kids to be bored and then complaining when they don't do what you tell them to. Tell them to learn something on their own, without any guidance, and see what happens. They'll struggle at first, but they'll get the hang of it and learn 10x faster than school lets them.

Which is why all those dropouts and ne'er-do-wells have PhDs, right?

Fair enough if the American school system is running on a shitty philosophy, but you might as well still expect students to make some effort towards having a future.