PDA

View Full Version : Oh most vile decoction!

Harpy
3rd May 09, 08:38 PM
The below two herbal teas make me nauseous, The aroma, taste and general foulness make me think someone is playing a huge joke on me:

http://www.premiumpods.com/osc/images/chamomile_tea_pods.jpg

My latest attempts at trying to appreciate Jasmine tea failed with 'Green Jasmine and Pear' tea. The natural infuser pods looked so hip I had to try, blargh.

jubei33
3rd May 09, 08:56 PM
are you into chinese teas or japanese green teas?

Aphid Jones
3rd May 09, 09:21 PM
What about rooibos tea?

Robot Jesus
3rd May 09, 09:34 PM
go to a decent tea bar, smell the options until you find something you like, sample repeat.

Aphid Jones
4th May 09, 12:32 AM
@ the thread title: If you're decocting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoction) chamomile, that's where you're going wrong.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 09, 12:34 AM
love tea
fucking HATE herbal tea
ur not alone

Harpy
4th May 09, 12:36 AM
Just normal tea with milk MJS?

I like rose petal tea, Chinese oolong and white teas

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 09, 12:36 AM
i don't think oolong is an herbal tea which would explain why it doesn't suck

Harpy
4th May 09, 12:40 AM
You are correct.

I like green tea blended with a hint of peppermint on some occassions but the rest of the herbal infusions/blends you see on the market (eg. green jasmine and pear, apple/vanilla honey, caramel and other stupid flavours) seem gross.

Assam Gold rain black tea is another tea I used to enjoy. Need to get my hands on some.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 09, 12:41 AM
i've been wanting to find loose tea
no luck, except for some middling quality english breakfast and earl gray at the supermarket

Harpy
4th May 09, 12:44 AM
I'd send you tea if you were really interested in trying some loose leaf varieties. However I recall the last time a friend from the US sent tea to me that freaking customs had opened up the containers and spilt tea leaves everywhere in the box. I was mad.

Harpy
4th May 09, 12:46 AM
Yerba Mate is amazing but I find the caffeine content to high for me to drink on a daily basis.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 09, 12:46 AM
looking around locally would probably be easier when i eventually do find it
there's an asian market nearby that i know has loose barley and green teas but no western teas
also want to find some injun tea after trying an indian tea blend earlier tonight

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 09, 12:48 AM
Yerba Mate is amazing but I find the caffeine content to high for me to drink on a daily basis.

do you drink it from a cup with a bag or from a gourd cup through a filtered straw?

Aphid Jones
4th May 09, 12:48 AM
You are correct.

I like green tea blended with a hint of peppermint on some occassions but the rest of the herbal infusions/blends you see on the market (eg. green jasmine and pear, apple/vanilla honey, caramel and other stupid flavours) seem gross.

Assam Gold rain black tea is another tea I used to enjoy. Need to get my hands on some.
Most of what you're talking about (caramel, vanilla, pear, honey, apple) aren't really herbal teas, they're flavored teas.

Herbal tea is just a blanket term for all non- Camellia sinensis teas.

Chamomile, peppermint, rooibos, chrysanthemum, dandelion, birch bark, ginger root what have you, they're all able to be made into infusions. Most of the "herbal" teas you find in the supermarket are flavored with pieces of dried fruit or artificial flavorings are added, so you never know what the plain herbal infusion tastes like.

Harpy
4th May 09, 12:51 AM
Yeah whatever I know that. I don't buy tea from the supermarket in general unless its my daily use green tea bags (lol, teabag). Just a general comment on the shitty teas I see when I go grocery shopping.

Aphid Jones
4th May 09, 12:52 AM
i've been wanting to find loose tea

You're in the Seattle area, right? When you next find yourself in Bellevue, a new tea shop opened up you should check out. I haven't been but apparently they have lots of loose tea varieties.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/xiu-xian-tea-bellevue

Don't read the comments

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 09, 12:54 AM
seattle?
nigga i live in compton

Kiko
4th May 09, 10:40 AM
I think the Jasmine I had was mixed with grey or oolong type loose. Try that instead of with green, Lily, you may like it better.

Neildo
4th May 09, 03:24 PM
straight chamomile tea is delicious so i can only assume you're doing it wrong.
i hope you're not putting anything in the jasmine with pear except hot water.

MJS - you can't buy good loose tea at the supermarket. you need to go to chinatown, or whereever brown people hang out in cali and get some tea from one of their stores that looks shabby and smells of curry. that's the only way to get good tea.

Zendetta
4th May 09, 03:26 PM
Earl Grey with honey and half-n-half FTW.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 09, 03:32 PM
MJS - you can't buy good loose tea at the supermarket. you need to go to chinatown, or whereever brown people hang out in cali and get some tea from one of their stores that looks shabby and smells of curry. that's the only way to get good tea.

i've been looking around at specialty coffee and drink shops
i think the asian market only has asian teas

Neildo
4th May 09, 03:36 PM
pretty much all good tea is asian. britan only has good tea because they wtfpwned india and china all those years ago.

Spade: The Real Snake
4th May 09, 04:30 PM
Lily just luvs her some teabaggin'

Harpy
4th May 09, 05:07 PM
No one has made a joke about 'decoction' yet? There is hope for you lot.

Neildo - I never put milk nor sugar in my tea. Just the straight stuff for me thank you.

Kiko - its the scent of jasmine in my tea that really puts me off, I try, I really do...but I can't take the scent and it just spoils the experience for me.

Zendetta
4th May 09, 05:17 PM
No one has made a joke about 'decoction' yet?

We must be getting "soft".

Cullion
4th May 09, 05:40 PM
To be honest, I'm a traitor to my nation. I prefer black coffee to tea, and when I do drink tea (usually when I'm on a health and fitness kick) I drink green tea without milk, sugar or lemon, rather than 'red' tea with milk in it.

To me traditional 'british' tea with milk and sugar is like a comfort thing I usually only ever drink in my parents house, or very occasionally other times after a big shock.

Harpy
4th May 09, 06:01 PM
To be honest, I'm a traitor to my nation.

Does the Tower of London have visitor hours?

To me traditional 'british' tea with milk and sugar is like a comfort thing I usually only ever drink in my parents house, or very occasionally other times after a big shock.

Take this to the 'Hardcore emptiness ensues' thread.

JingMerchant!
5th May 09, 05:53 PM
To be honest, I'm a traitor to my nation. I prefer black coffee to tea,It doesn't mark you as a traitor. It does demonstrate that you are a shandy-supping, hair-dressing, tutu wearing, ballet dancer of a southerner though...

To me traditional 'british' tea with milk and sugar is like a comfort thing I usually only ever drink in my parents house, or very occasionally other times after a big shock.Ya need to brew it PROPERLY! Stew for two hours in a builders boot, till it's orange... Milk, two sugars!

That's how tha gets PROPER tea lad...! Puts hair's on yer chest!!!

Quikfeet509
5th May 09, 07:09 PM
Herbal teas? Of course they taste like ass, especially because some of them have poop in them.

http://www.sacredlotus.com/herbs/get.cfm/chinese_herb/wu_ling_zhi_flying_squirrel_feces

Wu Ling Zhi (Flying Squirrel Feces)

Herb 27 of 34 in Herbs that Invigorate Blood and Remove Stagnation

Channels:LIV, SP
Properties:Bitter, Sweet, Warm
Latin:Feces Trogopterori Seu Pteromi
Chinese:五灵脂
Tone Marks:wŭ líng zhī
Translation:Fat of the Five Spirits
Actions

Invigorates the Blood, Relieves Pain
For amenorrhea, menses pain, postpartum abdominal pain, epigastric pain, chest pain
Dispels Blood Stasis, Stops Bleeding
For dark purple uterine bleeding with clots, retained lochia due to stasis
Treats childhood nutritional impairment, Eliminates Toxins
For a variety of insect and snake bites, topically and internally
Contraindications and Cautions

Do not use during pregnancy
Possibly antagonizes Ren Shen (Chen)
Do not use on Blood deficient patients or those without Blood Stasis
Herb-Drug Interactions

This section is being researched, and is not completed.
Toxicity and Overdose

None Noted
Dosage

3-9 grams in decoction (Bensky)
3-10 grams in decoction (Chen), wrap it in cheesecloth
This Herb Appears in the Following Formulas:

Shi Xiao San (Sudden Smile Powder)
Formulas that Invigorate the Blood and Dispel Blood Stasis

Other fun things for tea:

http://shaila11.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/_42119780_ox_penis_203x300afp.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/13/oly.food/art.seahorse.cnn.jpg

http://www.csicop.org/sb/2000-03/qi2.jpg