PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

Cullion
25th April 09, 08:11 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090424.wvswine_flu0424/VideoStory/International/?pid=RTGAM.20090424.wswine0424

The CDC has said it's too late to contain it.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/24443479.htm

The characteristic of it being most harmful to young adults makes it sound SARs-like.

It was reported earlier today in the UK that a member of British Airways flight crew was in hospital quarantine after returning from Mexico when they came down with symptoms.

Now, how concerned should we rationally be ?

SARs had a pretty low fatality rate if I remember rightly, for all the worry it caused.

Quikfeet509
25th April 09, 08:29 PM
One of the primary reasons for concern is that it looks like the version of swine flu that is killed people in Mexico is similar to the 1917 (ish) flu that killed mostly young, health people.

The flu normally kills the very young, the old, and the debilitated. But these other two versions killed healthy young adults and it is theorized that the reason for this change is that their strong immune systems mounted a powerful attack that lead to fluid accumulation in the lungs.

If a flu pandemic sweeps through and kills the people that are the heart of the workforce - industry, healthcare, everything - then you have a bigger problem then if it kills the very young and the old.

As for preparation, I stocked up on supplies. Home Depot was packed full of people...although the vast majority were buying stuff for their yards. I seriously hope that nothing pans out with the swine flu because I think the we are very unprepared.

It will be ugly.

Oh, and Cullion, even if it does hit hard but with a low mortality rate (like SARS, although we never will have accurate statistics about SARS for several reasons), I doubt our US healthcare system can handle the extra cost of a few hundred thousand people ending up in critical care units.

elipson
25th April 09, 09:00 PM
I was under the impression that SARS was particularly dangerous to the elderly as opposed to the young.

Cullion
25th April 09, 09:04 PM
I'd half-remembered some report that said SARs was unusual in that it was more dangerous to adults in their prime than it was to small children. Looking at the mortality stats it just gets more dangerous with age.

jnp
25th April 09, 10:37 PM
I will be keeping my four year old home from daycare come Monday as a precaution. Depending on reports coming in, I may keep him home longer.

I just watched the local evening news. There have been three reported cases in a little town near San Antonio. All three were high school students. Two have already recovered, and the other is doing fine despite being sick.

I'm certainly not going to panic, but I'd be foolish not to minimize my risk at this time.

jubei33
25th April 09, 11:42 PM
what did you stock up on at home depo to protect yourself?

I doubt our US healthcare system can handle the extra cost of a few hundred thousand people ending up in critical care units.

I had the same conversation earlier in the week with a guy bitterly opposed to changing the system in America. He said among other things that "he shouldn't have to pay for other people's health care" blablabla. At the time, I asked a what if about a global pandemic like the avian influenza outbreak in 1919 and he conceded that under those circumstance the government might have to step in.

He was a total saint, that cared about people only enough so that they wouldn't step on his roses. I ended the conversation with the rhetoric that they weren't his taxes, they're all of our taxes.

Perhaps this will be an impetus for real consideration of some kind of socialization in some form or another. Systemic problems or not, seeing first hand how other people do it, I just can't justify not seriously considering some kind of socialization---nay demanding it.

HappyOldGuy
26th April 09, 12:34 AM
It could be bad by 2009 standards. It's unlikely to be 1919 bad what with the whole vaccine thing. Not that we have one now, but we will in a few months.

If you don't live in a first world country, then it might suck to be you.

Robot Jesus
26th April 09, 01:14 AM
The flu normally kills the very young, the old, and the debilitated. But these other two versions killed healthy young adults and it is theorized that the reason for this change is that their strong immune systems mounted a powerful attack that lead to fluid accumulation in the lungs.

and thats why I'm killing my immune system with alcohol.

I'm serious, I haven't been sick (excluding one dermal fungal infection) for like 7 years. I need to kill my superhuman immune system before it kills me.

WarPhalange
26th April 09, 01:51 AM
It could be bad by 2009 standards. It's unlikely to be 1919 bad what with the whole vaccine thing. Not that we have one now, but we will in a few months.

Also, we know what vitamins are (and about nutrition in general) as well as much better methods for dealing with the flu.

Cullion
26th April 09, 03:58 AM
He was a total saint, that cared about people only enough so that they wouldn't step on his roses. I ended the conversation with the rhetoric that they weren't his taxes, they're all of our taxes.

No, no. They were his taxes. There is no ethical high ground in being charitable with other people's money.

jubei33
26th April 09, 03:58 AM
vitamins aren't going to save you from this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm) dude. That's like the 1st world's ol'tyme remedy, ha like in cuba with guanabana juice enemas for ciguatoxin poisoning.

No, no. They were his taxes. There is no ethical high ground in being charitable with other people's money.

no, they are all of our taxes and we should have a decent discussion on how to utilize them for the best good. One person's taxes generally can't resurface a road, let alone provide for their own usage of said services, yet when everyone puts in together then its a different story.

I would agree that worry is probably premature, but on the same note vaccines for influenza are only moderately effective and you have to apply them well in advance of infection. Also, there's the time it takes to produce a vaccine for the number of people exposed (kids, teachers, doctors, businessman, etc) on a regular basis. This issue with 1919 was the speed with which it spread and aslo who it attacked the worst.

edit. I amend my origional post about vitamins. there is supposedly a treatment utilizing antioxidants in conjunction with other things that was somewhat successful.

EuropIan
26th April 09, 04:14 AM
There are roughly 5 times more swine in Denmark than people.

What's even more worrisome is that it seems this strain can be transferred from human to human.

This could be problematic.

Cullion
26th April 09, 04:23 AM
no, they are all of our taxes and we should have a decent discussion on how to utilize them for the best good. One person's taxes generally can't resurface a road, let alone provide for their own usage of said services, yet when everyone puts in together then its a different story.

The amount of money the law compels you personally to send to the government each year are your taxes. The man is entitled to want that burden to be lower by not funding the healthcare of others.

There is no moral high ground being 'charitable' with other people's money. Did you stop to consider that the man in question might be paying a lot more in tax than you ?

Lebell
26th April 09, 04:29 AM
you dribbeling cowards,

this could be the big one.

so far it goes the same as the big spanish flu of 1918.
the virus pops up in springtime as a mild variation, then around autumn it has mutated in the killer virus.

if you got kids, don't worry about it, this particular virus feeds on young adults, most influenzas take their toll from infants and old people, but this one takes the young adults.

im not worried though, if you die you die and even a pandemic doesnt take out an entire population, the virus doesnt kill off his hosts, it needs them to live.
probably 2 out of 10 people die from it.

so we cant say nothing now lets wait if it comes back in the autumn.

personally im european so my ancestors survived the black plague several times, im not going to worry about some bitch-ass flu.
i just hope i dont die from it because that would be super emberassing.

Cullion
26th April 09, 04:29 AM
There are roughly 5 times more swine in Denmark than people.

What's even more worrisome is that it seems this strain can be transferred from human to human.

This could be problematic.

Time to activate your zombie-pocalypse plan. Island in the Baltic ?

Lebell
26th April 09, 04:31 AM
instead of hiding under the blankets you could make plans to profit from the onslaught.

nice houses will become available, and that stupid maths teacher could get what he had coming!

EuropIan
26th April 09, 04:32 AM
I have a pillow fort. That should hold them of

Lebell
26th April 09, 04:34 AM
i hope my ex girlfriend who was a total bitch to me after not seeing me for 3 years gets it first and i can watch her die slowly.

Cullion
26th April 09, 04:43 AM
r u gonna do her 1 last time when she's helpless?

Lebell
26th April 09, 04:50 AM
r u gonna do her 1 last time when she's helpless?

DUH!!!

it's not rape when it is an ex.
everybody knows that.

im going to start a thread about this, a poll included.

jubei33
26th April 09, 06:48 AM
The amount of money the law compels you personally to send to the government each year are your taxes. The man is entitled to want that burden to be lower by not funding the healthcare of others.

There is no moral high ground being 'charitable' with other people's money. Did you stop to consider that the man in question might be paying a lot more in tax than you ?

Currently, he pays no taxes, except on investments in the US, as he's abroad like me. Because of this, I pay more taxes than he does, but does that entitle me to more say in what to do with the collective? (I don't think so, but we can come to compromise through discussion)

Wanting lower taxes is a different argument than deciding what to do with the collective tax coffers. Your personal taxes are paid for a reason and singlely are insignificant in the perspective of what the group's taxes can accomplish. More so, people have effects on other people simply by living, I believe its hard to consider most people singular self sufficient entities doing what they want with their freedom of choice. Illness is proof of this: just by going to school with a slight fever, you can infect several dozen of your classmates. It might not even be your fault, you might not even know until its too late. We might describe things like 'vectors' as if its a point source problem, but there's no real way to determine who will get sick, its just chance.

2. I've been around the world and one thing I've noticed is how people treat illnesses. In japan, for example, people readily go to the doctor at the first sign of illness, even for just something slightly irritating. People are happy to go, they see it as good fortune that they have access to good, affordable medical care. Japan's system has its problems; Its not at all perfect, but in comparison it treats many more people and customer satisfaction is just not even in the same league. The quality of life is better in this single respect. This obviously isn't the case in the USA and it really sucks to say something like that. I love my country.

You tell me, is it better to have the majority of people avoid the doctor at all costs, or have what ~60% of the people unable to afford it? This goes triple for a pandemic.

Lebell
26th April 09, 07:29 AM
it would be kinda funny when the SWINEflu hits islamic countries.

hey ahmed, you don't look too good, whats wrong?

i got the swineflu...

what? i didnt get that, what kinda flu?

shut up.

Ajamil
26th April 09, 07:52 AM
Shovel ready business opportunities!!

grbSQ6O6kbs

Cullion
26th April 09, 08:26 AM
Wanting lower taxes is a different argument than deciding what to do with the collective tax coffers.

He would be unwilling to pay additional taxes for the purpose proposed, that's how he's linking them.

We might describe things like 'vectors' as if its a point source problem, but there's no real way to determine who will get sick, its just chance.

That's of course true, but it doesn't automatically imply that state funding of medical care is the answer.

You tell me, is it better to have the majority of people avoid the doctor at all costs, or have what ~60% of the people unable to afford it?

About 16% of the US population is without health insurance. Flu vaccine shots cost between $10-$50 dollars each. We'll talk about the cost of protecting your child for you after you've sold your TV.

Quikfeet509
26th April 09, 08:31 AM
The gubment stepping in and providing healthcare for those stricken with an epidemic flu is a sound, pragmatic use of resources (even if it is painful fiscally), especially considering this flu hits those that are prime members of the workforce [edit - added]. The gubment stepping in and paying for everyone's lifestyle diseases without concern if they comply with their treatment is not.

And yes, I realize with the latter if "we don't pay for their care now we will end up paying more when they stay a couple months in the ICU". Well, I'm saying we shouldn't pay for their ICU care at all. If you don't have the desire to save yourself when it is cheap and easy, then we won't save you when it's difficult and expensive.

Back on topic. PL is somewhat correct - we do have access to vitamins and potions that should help reduce mortality and morbidity from this pandemic flu (if it happens) versus pandemics in the past. But more importantly, we have much tighter surveillance, clean water and food, proper sanitation, and the ability to wash our hands properly (if people would actually do that - filthy scum).

And if it comes to it, we also have antivirals, steroids (not the fun kind), and supportive therapies (IV fluids, O2, suction) if it comes to it.

I will be keeping my four year old home from daycare come Monday as a precaution. Depending on reports coming in, I may keep him home longer.

I just watched the local evening news. There have been three reported cases in a little town near San Antonio. All three were high school students. Two have already recovered, and the other is doing fine despite being sick.

I'm certainly not going to panic, but I'd be foolish not to minimize my risk at this time.

I'm about two steps away from that right now. It might be premature to keep my son home in Kansas, but if the incubation period is comparable to the "normal" flu, once a cluster of cases pops up in your area you are about a week too late for restricting contact.

Lebell
26th April 09, 08:40 AM
just see the coming epidemic as a test of your genepools!
only the strong will survive!!!

okay now i need to chew on something...too much testosteron..

Quikfeet509
26th April 09, 02:44 PM
The CDC said that the incubation period is 24-48 hours, which is much better than what I erroneously posted.

nihilist
26th April 09, 02:56 PM
Swine flu, bird flu, fok yu, buy our vaccine.

Cullion
26th April 09, 03:02 PM
Isn't this flu supposed to be some kind of hybrid of swine, avian and human flu?

EuropIan
26th April 09, 03:16 PM
Isn't this flu supposed to be some kind of hybrid of swine, avian and human flu?
is that even possible?

Lebell
26th April 09, 03:42 PM
as far as i know ( i used to live in a dorm where this weird virology student lived aswell) and got it explained it has to do with the kind of species and also how the virus mutates.
it's like the virus got a mind of his own, a survival instinct, when it encounters other forms it tries to adapt so it can use that as a host aswell.

it works both ways, humans can carry viruses that are (relative)harmless to them but deadly to animals and can contaminate the animals, and vice versa.

again im no expert.

Cullion
26th April 09, 04:28 PM
is that even possible?

I think it's possible for virii to exchange genetic material with other organisms, but 'hybrid' in this case might just mean 'has genetic sequences similar to elements of human, avian and swine flu variants' without implying different viruses actually exchanged material.

The only sciences I've studied in any depth bast the age of 18 have been math & physics based.

Lebell
26th April 09, 04:31 PM
im studying too nowadays.
scary idea huh?

Quikfeet509
26th April 09, 04:37 PM
is that even possible?

Yes.

Most of the time, it would be a novelty hybrid since it would do crap to us humanz. But in that rare case where it can infect us, it is uber scary because we will have little immunity to it.

The question I have is if it is a mutation similar to the strain in 1917 that killed young adults because their strong immune responses, but since since it is primarily from another species meaning we won't have immunity to it, then...huh?

Cullion
26th April 09, 04:39 PM
im studying too nowadays.
scary idea huh?

what are you studying ?

Lebell
26th April 09, 04:41 PM
The question I have is if it is a mutation similar to the strain in 1917 that killed young adults because their strong immune responses, but since since it is primarily from another species meaning we won't have immunity to it, then...huh?

thats what i read too.
thats how young strong people die.
it triggers the immunesystem to sort off go in overdrive effectively killing the person.
technically you dont die from the flu but from the immunesystem overloading.

Cullion: modern standard arabic.

Cullion
26th April 09, 04:44 PM
This overloading is what's meant by 'cytokene storm' right ?

Lebell
26th April 09, 04:48 PM
i dunno, let me phone up my doctor!

btw...when the pandemic starts and people lie dead everywhere...ehr..like when is it socially acceptable to start feeding from the corpses?

i dont want to start too soon, people might think im weird..

nihilist
26th April 09, 05:24 PM
is that even possible?

Government scientists are cooking up all sorts things previously thought impossible.

jubei33
26th April 09, 05:30 PM
If you aren't worried about contaminated corpses contaminating you then I would suggest the sooner the better.

Cullion
26th April 09, 05:35 PM
Government scientists are cooking up all sorts things previously thought impossible.

I'm glad somebody else is taking a shift on Riddeck duty.

In the interest of spreading futile panic, I'd like to draw your attention to this comments page on the BBC News site which seems to be full of people who work in Mexico's healthcare system saying 'The government are lying, the anti-viral drugs aren't working and the number of dead is a factor of 10 greater than what's being reported'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

You just know that this is going to mutate in such a way as to damage the frontal cortex, leaving just a violent animalistic personality and a hunger for braainnnss.

Lebell
26th April 09, 05:53 PM
We're so going to die you guiz...

this reminds me of the video all nightmare long by metallica, which is superawesome.

Sun Wukong
26th April 09, 05:55 PM
this is so not a good thing for a person with a phobia of viral pathogens. I hope all this goes away very soon.

Cullion
26th April 09, 05:59 PM
Meh, I'm not worried. I'll be immune to it because of Tai Chi.

Robot Jesus
26th April 09, 05:59 PM
just viral?

HappyOldGuy
26th April 09, 06:06 PM
I'm just glad I'm not a young adult anymore.

Cullion
26th April 09, 06:09 PM
Fatality appears to peak in the 20-50 age bracket. If we're checking out, you're checking out with us HOG. And it's already moving up through California.

I've been thinking about this cytokene storm thing, and as it's supposed to be caused by your immune system reacting too strongly, I've decided that my first course of action should I start sneezing and coughing will be to suppress my immune system with whiskey, cannabis and all night partying.

Lebell
26th April 09, 06:18 PM
Fatality appears to peak in the 20-50 age bracket. If we're checking out, you're checking out with us HOG. And it's already moving up through California.

haha!
looks like we will be together in heaven for all eternity after all HOG! ;-)

I've been thinking about this cytokene storm thing, and as it's supposed to be caused by your immune system reacting too strongly, I've decided that my first course of action should I start sneezing and coughing will be to suppress my immune system with whiskey, cannabis and all night partying.

count me in, lets also have unprotected sex with essex girls.
just to be sure.

Cullion
26th April 09, 06:19 PM
I'd rather die of swine flu than suffer the kind of dick-rot that would lead to.

Lebell
26th April 09, 06:23 PM
im willing to do anything to stay alive!
im too pretty to die!

Quikfeet509
26th April 09, 06:35 PM
The reports talk about people wearing masks but I'm fairly sure that even a N95 respirator (you can buy it at Home Depot) will protect against TB (if worn properly) but won't do much against a virus.

I'm also wondering about the cytokine storm. If that is accurate, then steroids might be the way to go.

WarPhalange
26th April 09, 07:36 PM
Fuck that. I'm just going to stop eating, play video games all night and day, and maybe some alcohol if I can stomach it to boot.

Quikfeet509
26th April 09, 07:42 PM
Fine...although I still don't buy it. 95% of particles doesn't necessarily mean it will filter out viruses.

In a 2007 statement, the CDC said these masks could be worn if someone needs to go to a crowded place, such as a grocery store, for a short time. N95 respirator masks filter out 95% of particles to prevent the wearer from breathing them in. These must be fitted properly around the nose to create a seal, so they can make breathing difficult.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-04-26-swine-flu-questions-answers_N.htm

WarPhalange
26th April 09, 07:52 PM
95% of particles is a lot better than 0%.

Quikfeet509
26th April 09, 08:38 PM
Best thing I could find in 0.7ms:

http://www.cellsalive.com/howbig.htm

Compare the size of staph to either ebola (fun) or rhinovirus (which is probably more the size we are looking at for the swine flu).

Wounded Ronin
26th April 09, 10:40 PM
Well, fuck.

This has the legitimate possibility to become very bad news.

That is all I can say at this time.

Wounded Ronin
26th April 09, 10:43 PM
Oh, guys, I wear a N95 all the time for my work.

It is kind of like using a condom. It provides a degree of protection. It is only 95% efficient.

In theory, a single infectious aerosol droplet with TB bacteria is enough to cause infection. However, in practice, I am very likely to be safe if I wear my N95 and don't spend hours in the company of the patient in an indoor setting.

So if you ran around all day wearing an N95 you wouldn't be 100% safe and invulnerable to airborne pathogens, but you'd have a very significant degree of protection.

EDIT: For your N95 to be effective it must be fit tested to you. It is no good if the mask does not form a seal with your face. So don't all go out and buy N95s thinking you can just put it on and be okay.

Lebell
27th April 09, 04:31 AM
okay so far there are cases reported in Canada , new zealand spain and france.

Kiko
27th April 09, 05:24 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/swine_flu.png

Lebell
27th April 09, 05:56 AM
im not panicing, i have gallons of water stored in my house and i got medikits.
got my axe, firestone, dagger and gillie suit.

by the end of this week i should have converted my car into a killbotmachine in mad max fashion.

bring on the apocalypse!

Quikfeet509
27th April 09, 06:16 AM
I knew I should of bought a Hummer instead of a CRV.

Damn gas mileage!

EuropIan
27th April 09, 06:21 AM
This is a live updated googlemap of the spread of this thing. ohmygodthisissocool (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5)

Lebell
27th April 09, 07:33 AM
okay i just got back from looting a tv store....too early?

rw4th
27th April 09, 09:55 AM
I don't think you guys appreciate the direness of the situation. Didn't any of you read the gospel that is World War Z? They said it was just a flu when it began, they hid it when the dead started walking again.

It's the Zombie Fucking Apocalypse ... this is how it started, and most of us won't make it.

elipson
27th April 09, 10:03 AM
They said it was Rabies not the flu!

rw4th
27th April 09, 10:14 AM
They said it was Rabies not the flu!

The book called it rabies, but that was allegorical. It's happening now, and they are calling saying it's just the flu. I am stocking piling guns, ammo, canned food and bottled water as we speak.

Madgrenade
27th April 09, 10:30 AM
So. Shotguns or swords? I your using a shot then you'd better pray you have movie levels of ammo. Self reloading infinite shotguns are best. Swords would b my personal choice, but you run the risk of infecting yourself with the splatter.

Kein Haar
27th April 09, 10:30 AM
Piggies! Cute!

Shawarma
27th April 09, 10:40 AM
The Mohammedans and Jews are laughing their asses off at us right now.

Madgrenade
27th April 09, 10:42 AM
Why would they laugh in such a way?

rw4th
27th April 09, 11:28 AM
The Mohammedans and Jews are laughing their asses off at us right now.

Since one does not need to actually eat pork to get the zombie virus, your funny isn't so much. It does however beg the question:

If Muslims get the swine flu, do they got to hell?

Lebell
27th April 09, 11:28 AM
the pigs finally got their revenge...

hmmmm.....bacon.....

Madgrenade
27th April 09, 11:31 AM
In all seriousness, would a really hard lash be enough to cure imunovereaction?

Shawarma
27th April 09, 11:41 AM
Since one does not need to actually eat pork to get the zombie virus, your funny isn't so much. It does however beg the question:

If Muslims get the swine flu, do they got to hell?
And how many pig farmers do you suppose live in the vicinity of Mecca?

HappyOldGuy
27th April 09, 11:47 AM
So let's see. My boss is home sick after his boss came home sick from Puerto Vallerta last week.

I may in fact be fucked.

Spade: The Real Snake
27th April 09, 11:49 AM
I am far too close to Mexico for my liking.

Madgrenade
27th April 09, 11:49 AM

How many snotty pilgrims gt bussed in every day?

rw4th
27th April 09, 11:51 AM

It's being transmitted by humans now so it's just a question of time until the zombie virus makes its way there. Zombies don't care about your religion, although one told me that Mormon brains were tastier. It was something about more water content marinating the brain just right. He told me that right before I blew his head off with my shotgun and cut him up with my chainsaw arm.

Remember kids: Kill the brain, kill the ghoul.

jnp
27th April 09, 11:54 AM
In all seriousness, would a really hard lash be enough to cure imunovereaction?
Very doubtful. By time your immune system is going haywire, it will be too late to ameliorate your condition with physical duress.

Alcohol is an immunosuppressor, and it's a bit less painful. Stay drunk for the next few weeks instead.

27th April 09, 11:57 AM
It's being transmitted by humans now so it's just a question of time until the zombie virus makes its way there. Zombies don't care about your religion, although one told me that Mormon brains were tastier. It was something about more water content marinating the brain just right. He told me that right before I blew his head off with my shotgun and cut him up with my chainsaw arm.

Remember kids: Kill the brain, kill the ghoul.

Not true.

Remember kids: FIRE is the Biblical cleanser.

Madgrenade
27th April 09, 12:19 PM
So if all the young men spend the next few weeks on a constant drunken buzz, then we will have a immunity from our immunity, and we'll all be O.K.

While pious Mussies just won't get the benefit, cos it's not allowed.

Phrost
27th April 09, 12:29 PM
Don't worry folks, as long as there's a functioning power grid Sociocide will still be here:

http://www.sociocide.com/images/tamiflu.jpg

Although we might lose a bit of traffic...

Lebell
27th April 09, 12:40 PM
I am far too close to Mexico for my liking.

so am i.

rw4th
27th April 09, 01:01 PM
ILvkEHQPHHg

Steve
27th April 09, 01:43 PM
hmmmm.....bacon.....

Surprisingly, Lebell has teh correct: bacon!

This is finally the situation that I have been waiting for... It is the perfect excuse to eat a shit ton of bacon, nay, it is my fucking DUTY to eat a shit ton of bacon! It's not too late to attack the source of this vile bug (or at least I'll have a damn good explanation when people give me funny looks at the grocery store)!

I'm going to do my part to save the world (and love every delicious second of it), join me!!

Lebell
27th April 09, 01:49 PM
yes let's go on a bacon jihad in order to save the world.

27th April 09, 02:06 PM
So I just got a fax from our local health department that their personnel are "currently dealing with issues related to the Swine Flu outbreak and certain staff will be performing other duties, resulting in delays in other services."

VIVA LA CERDO!

Phrost
27th April 09, 02:08 PM
Tinfoil jockstrap going on now.

HappyOldGuy
27th April 09, 02:08 PM
So let's see. My boss is home sick after his boss came home sick from Puerto Vallerta last week.

I may in fact be fucked.

By the way. I wasn't kidding and I am in fact coming down with something.

If I hurry up and die you will all be able to brag that you knew fatality 1.

27th April 09, 02:10 PM

and this explains your acronym.
Patient Zero tag for HOG.

rw4th
27th April 09, 03:11 PM

Come back an tell us how it was when you reanimate as a zombie plz

Cullion
27th April 09, 03:53 PM
Don't worry folks, as long as there's a functioning power grid Sociocide will still be here:

Tamiflu may not be effective if the comments from people claiming to be Mexican healthcare professionals on that BBC page were for real.

I've been researching cytokene storms more today, and I still think if all else fails, Marijuana might work as a last-ditch effort to make your immune system stand down.

Lebell
27th April 09, 04:38 PM
sweet...pot is legal here!

too bad i dont like it.

no worries, Jesus will either protect me or invite me to dinner.

win-win you guys!

Quikfeet509
27th April 09, 05:37 PM

It's utterly fabulous when laypeople start taking medications without really knowing if it will help...after all, it worked so well in Asia when people started taking Tamiflu at the drop of a hat.

Here's a website about the avian flu and more specifically the cytokine storm that accompanies it:

http://www.cytokinestorm.com/

Take note about this part:

Treating the Cytokine Storm of Avian Influenza, the Premise of this Website:
1. Bird flu patients die from acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) caused by the cytokine storm, and not directly from the virus. Historic survival in ARDS is 60%-85%; with bird flu-associated ARDS it is 43%.
2. Neuraminidase inhibitors (i.e. Tamiflu, Relenza) are not clinically proven effective for bird flu patients and cannot address the lethal cytokine storm associated with the infection.
3. The treatment to prevent or stop the autoimmune reaction (cytokine storm) is commercially available by prescription, but is not currently being recommended by the World Health Organization to treat these patients.

I understand the desire to "protect your family" but...well, whatever. Prevention is key - handwashing, keeping your family home if it does hit, and BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Harpy
27th April 09, 05:44 PM
I find it mind-blowing that the Australian government hasn't quarantined all passengers from US/Mexico flights. Asking passengers if they have 'flu like' symptoms is just a stupid measure.

The whole global response to viral outbreaks is a pathetic joke.

We've already have 5 confirmed cases in Sydney.

Cullion
27th April 09, 06:03 PM
You do understand that the whole point of this drill is to demonstrate to you how national govt. is ineffectual and world govt. with the legal authority to do all kinds of stuff fast is awesome, right ?

You do understand that the disciplinary technique of decimation has been around for at least 2000 years, right ?

Of course you do. Carry on.

Harpy
27th April 09, 06:10 PM
I'm going to call you Mr. Doom

nihilist
27th April 09, 06:11 PM
If you don't kill them, how are they going to learn?

Ajamil
27th April 09, 06:12 PM
*Looks up from writing a world health care manifesto*

Say what now?

Phrost
27th April 09, 07:13 PM
In other news, the Israelis are offended by the name "Swine Flu". They want it changed to something less offensive like "Mexican Flu".

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ieHZRubAS3lyjn2GBiCPkXkHrXwwD97QROAG0

Wounded Ronin
27th April 09, 07:17 PM
Phrost, tamiflu should be your last ditch thing. Focus more on prevention, including getting enough sleep at night, eating right, and not hanging indoors with coughing people. If you must be indoors in a situation like that try to maximize sunlight and ventilation from the outside and stand upwind from the coughing person.

Wounded Ronin
27th April 09, 07:22 PM
Oh, about N95s vs. viruses.

Viruses might be small, but in order for you to breathe them in they must be aerosolized. The N95 will catch and absorb the little aerosol particles that are carrying the virus and prevent them from being deposited in your lungs, nose, and mouth.

Again, it's not perfect protection, but it is quite a lot better than nothing.

Actually, what is easier to do is put a surgical mask (different than an N95) on people who are coughing and sneezing. The surgical mask is designed to keep their aerosol particles from spreading through the air.

Cullion
27th April 09, 07:37 PM
How does Tamiflu work, exactly ?

Quikfeet509
27th April 09, 07:37 PM
Oh, about N95s vs. viruses.

Viruses might be small, but in order for you to breathe them in they must be aerosolized. The N95 will catch and absorb the little aerosol particles that are carrying the virus and prevent them from being deposited in your lungs, nose, and mouth.

Again, it's not perfect protection, but it is quite a lot better than nothing.

Actually, what is easier to do is put a surgical mask (different than an N95) on people who are coughing and sneezing. The surgical mask is designed to keep their aerosol particles from spreading through the air.

Yeah, your probably right. I do have a stock of some generic N95's plus a few from the hospital that I snagged (that fit much better).

If people are going to start using them, they need to make sure they properly remove them. If you just pull it off and let it smack against your face, you just defeated the purpose.

Edit - the package insert I posted initially actually suggests that you hold the mask with your hand while you remove it, which violates everything I've ever learned. Here is something that makes more sense to me:

LEAVE Negative Air Space, CLOSE Door
Step 6
N95 Respirator

Front of respirator is contaminated.
Handle only the bands.
To remove, pull lower band over the head first, then remove upper band.
Discard.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/dtopics/infectioncontrol/ppe/ppen95.html

nihilist
27th April 09, 08:12 PM
Hermetically seal your armageddonbunker with plastic sheeting and duct tape.

jnp
27th April 09, 09:09 PM
Do they make HEPA filters you can live in?

nihilist
27th April 09, 09:57 PM
WELCOME TO THE HEPADOME

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/moleculo_9000/Activeair20Filter.jpg

Antifa
27th April 09, 10:18 PM
what about the time honored tradition of making a bunker out of MRE's and shooting anything that comes in your basement?

rw4th
27th April 09, 10:24 PM
what about the time honored tradition of making a bunker out of MRE's and shooting anything that comes in your basement?

Remember to aim for the head: Kill the brain, kill the ghoul.

Wounded Ronin
27th April 09, 11:08 PM
Yeah, your probably right. I do have a stock of some generic N95's plus a few from the hospital that I snagged (that fit much better).

If people are going to start using them, they need to make sure they properly remove them. If you just pull it off and let it smack against your face, you just defeated the purpose.

Edit - the package insert I posted initially actually suggests that you hold the mask with your hand while you remove it, which violates everything I've ever learned. Here is something that makes more sense to me:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/dtopics/infectioncontrol/ppe/ppen95.html

The mask is contaminated in the sense that it just caught a lot of bacteria or virii, but remember that those must be aerosolized and/or deposited on a mucus membrane to make you sick. So even if you touch the front of the mask that won't make you sick unless you immediately go and pick your nose or something. Just take the mask off, throw it in the trash, and then use hand sanitizer. Here in the county TB clinic, we don't worry about not touching the N95 after using it with a contagious patient since the TB wouldn't be aerosolized after it's caught in the respirator, and usually to make you sick TB must actually get inside your lung.

That being said, if you wanted to avoid touching it and just pull it off by the straps I don't see why you couldn't do that. If you're really anxious just wear latex gloves while removing the mask.

Wounded Ronin
27th April 09, 11:09 PM
How does Tamiflu work, exactly ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamiflu#Mode_of_action

nihilist
27th April 09, 11:28 PM
"Tamiflu" is what you get from sleeping too close to a crack.

Lebell
28th April 09, 05:51 AM
i was watching a talkshow last night with some dude who was an expert virologist, he said all the mouthcaps and measurements at the airports where just for show and didnt really prevent anything.

he also said the flu is a combination of 4 viruses, 2 from pigs 1 from bird and one from humans, all four combined.

he also said its too soon to draw any conclusions as the flu in the usa and canada seems to be milder then the one in mexico city.
he also said tamiflu can work to a certain extend: the flu could cause an amonia (ehr...long thingy? pneumonia?) that they cant treat so well, but if there would be an infection on top of the pneumonia then they could treat it, but again he said it wouldnt make much sense since the pneumonia is much more dangerous.

his conclusion was that so far there's nothing that can be done and all the governments measuerments and people wearing mouthcaps is more to sooth the mind then actually preventing crap.

this dumbass countrysinger was in the same talkshow and she said to him: ' well you certainly arent uplifting us!'

him really dry: madam, i'm not here to bring uplifting news, im here to inform you on what we know so far.'

Madgrenade
28th April 09, 05:59 AM
Soon there will only be 98% of us left.

Lebell
28th April 09, 06:44 AM
Soon there will only be 98% of us left.

exactly.
the mortality rate is for pussies.
im busy developping a way more dealier virus.
ive set rats lose in my appartment, been drinking out of the toiletbowl and practise tai chi naked in the rain.
every day i pet birds and pigs so eventually ill start the lebell flu which shall have a way better mortality rate, im aiming 7 out of 10 die, highly airborne contageous.

Madgrenade
28th April 09, 06:51 AM
More movie magic. Its good to know that there are people in suits who have got everything under control.

"The pandemic phase alert should increase from phase three to phase four..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8022437.stm

"They're waiting for you, Gordon..."

Quikfeet509
28th April 09, 12:03 PM
What's ghetto fabulous is that if this runs similar to past pandemics, the weak, mild strain we are seeing in the US will be followed shortly by a much stronger, more virulent version...kinda like the one that is already in Mexico.

So if you get a mild illness to one version and your immune system is prepped and ready to go, then you get exposed to the more virulent version, what happens?

How do make cytokine storm?

28th April 09, 12:30 PM
I am just going to carry a flamethrower around and fucking torch anyone who coughs.

HappyOldGuy
28th April 09, 12:32 PM
You guys are obsessed by this cytokine storm thing. All I'm hearing about is deaths due to pneumonia.

Zendetta
28th April 09, 12:53 PM
From what I read, the "cytokine storm" can make your lungs fill up with crud. Kinda like pneumonia.

So you haven't died-and-reanimated yet?

HappyOldGuy
28th April 09, 12:56 PM
From what I read, the "cytokine storm" can make your lungs fill up with crud. Kinda like pneumonia.

So you haven't died-and-reanimated yet?
Nope, my nodes are swollen, but so far that's it.

And yeah, it could be misdiagnosis, etc, but from what I've been reading, the whole cytokine storm smells alot like internet hype.

Quikfeet509
28th April 09, 12:57 PM
When the immune system is fighting pathogens, cytokines signal immune cells such as T-cells and macrophages to travel to the site of infection. In addition, cytokines activate those cells, stimulating them to produce more cytokines. Normally, this feedback loop is kept in check by the body. However, in some instances, the reaction becomes uncontrolled, and too many immune cells are activated in a single place. The precise reason for this is not entirely understood but may be caused by an exaggerated response when the immune system encounters a new and highly pathogenic invader. Cytokine storms have potential to do significant damage to body tissues and organs.[citation needed] If a cytokine storm occurs in the lungs, for example, fluids and immune cells such as macrophages may accumulate and eventually block off the airways, potentially resulting in death.[citation needed]
The cytokine storm (hypercytokinemia) is the systemic expression of a healthy and vigorous immune system resulting in the release of more than 150 inflammatory mediators (cytokines, oxygen free radicals, and coagulation factors).[citation needed] Both pro-inflammatory cytokines (such as Tumor necrosis factor-alpha, Interleukin-1, and Interleukin-6) and anti-inflammatory cytokines (such as interleukin 10 and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist) are elevated in the serum of patients experiencing a cytokine storm.[citation needed]
Cytokine storms can occur in a number of infectious and non-infectious diseases including graft versus host disease (GVHD), adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), sepsis, avian influenza, smallpox, and systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS).[2]
The first reference to the term cytokine storm in the published medical literature appears to be by Ferrara et al.[3] in GVHD in February 1993.

Pneumonia is an inflammatory illness of the lung.[1] Frequently, it is described as lung parenchyma/alveolar inflammation and abnormal alveolar filling with fluid (consolidation and exudation).[2]
The alveoli are microscopic air-filled sacs in the lungs responsible for absorbing oxygen. Pneumonia can result from a variety of causes, including infection with bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites, and chemical or physical injury to the lungs.

Cytokine storm could present as pneumonia, but not all pneumonia would be classified as a cytokine storm...

...I think....

Cullion
28th April 09, 01:27 PM
You guys are obsessed by this cytokine storm thing.

It sounds cool and sciency. It lets people who've never taken a college-level biology course feel like we're on the inside track. Leave us alone.

Yiktin Voxbane
28th April 09, 02:07 PM
Wouldn't be so much swine flu if the common folk would just stop fucking pigs .

Shawarma
28th April 09, 02:09 PM
You first.

Yiktin Voxbane
28th April 09, 02:11 PM
GOOD call ...

Sooooeeyy

mrblackmagic
28th April 09, 02:26 PM
Dear god, I was listening to "Breath from Another" while I was reading that. Lulz.

Just out of curiosity, when did 50 people globally become an "epidemic?"

28th April 09, 02:37 PM
Who gets dibs on being christened the super-here Cytokine Storm in Sirc's thread?

rw4th
28th April 09, 03:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, when did 50 people globally become an "epidemic?"

50 is what they want you to think.

Phrost
28th April 09, 04:29 PM
Haha:

http://www.sociocide.com/images/cyto.jpg

jubei33
28th April 09, 04:47 PM
haha------> northern blot analysis and his brother the southern blot analysis were walking in the forest one night, when suddenly a monolayer cell culture proliferated many, many mast cells in a diabolical scheme to maintain growth on a polystyrene medium with salts, gulcose and a bicarbonate buffer. Upon realizing this cDNA and his friends reverse transcriptase and restriction enzyme introduced an overlapping set of DNA fragments to a vector. Northern analysis quickly determined the levels of mRNA they were dealing with and quickly knockout mice. "My transgenic mice, you bastard!! monolayer cell culture wailed, fist pumping the air like a 16 year old at a rage against the machine concert. just then immunoassay swung down to save his master. "Each B lymphocyte gives rise to a single antibody, which recognizes only a single epitope on an antigen," he said stoically.

28th April 09, 04:52 PM
I just got a banner ad for Walgreens.

jubei33
28th April 09, 04:56 PM
mine are still italian aikido.

jubei33
28th April 09, 05:08 PM
polyclonal antibodies went for a walk. "monoclonal antibodies bond to anything they're desperate" said one. "No that's a lie, they're faithful and true and recognize only one epitope per antigen," one retorted. When they arrived at the immunolocalization they all identified the presence of a protein within the cell, paying notice to its abundance and cellular location. On and on they went to the immunoaffinity purification and became bonded to an insoluble matrix for chromatographical analysis. Some went on to be used in an immunoprecipitation assay, where proteins are bonded to an antibody and are removed from solution via creating an insoluble complex. sometimes western blotting is used

Quikfeet509
28th April 09, 06:55 PM
Now admittedly, I'm a little inebriated due to a combination of underestimating the effects of alcohol while in ketosis and underestimating the strength of my Old Rasputin Imperial Stout clone (ABV about 9%), but...

http://www.blisstree.com/healthbolt/files/2007/12/huh.jpg

Quikfeet509
29th April 09, 04:10 AM
ASibLqwVbsk

nihilist
29th April 09, 11:14 AM
SWINE FLU: Killing the useless and ugly people who are breathing valuable air and collecting government subsidy.

29th April 09, 11:21 AM
Swine Flu Makes Me Not Want To Be Stuck In Movie Theatre Watching Wolverine With A Bunch Of Pestilent Mouth-Breathers.

Antifa
29th April 09, 11:27 AM
Swine Flu Makes Me Not Want To Be Stuck In Movie Theatre Watching Wolverine With A Bunch Of Pestilent Mouth-Breathers.

Bunker Matinee (http://www.tv-links.cc/redir4.php?l=aHR0cDovL3R2Z2xpdHouY29tLzIwMDkvMDQvM DEvd2F0Y2gteC1tZW4tb3JpZ2lucy13b2x2ZXJpbmUtb25saW5 lLw==)

nihilist
29th April 09, 11:30 AM
HD projector + 4'x 8' screen = swine-free living.

mrblackmagic
29th April 09, 11:32 AM
50 is what they want you to think.

Oh, right. Fox News doesn't consider Mexicans as people.

Antifa
29th April 09, 11:33 AM
HD projector + 4'x 8' screen = swine-free living.

dont forget the pork chops

Dark Helmet
29th April 09, 09:55 PM
Virus-Wary Egypt to Destroy All 300,000 Pigs in their country.

http://www.newser.com/story/57540/virus-wary-egypt-to-destroy-all-300k-pigs.html

The Egyptian government says it will immediately slaughter the country’s entire population of 300,000 pigs to protect against the swine flu, the AP reports. Egypt has stressed that it has no reported cases of the virus, though two infections have been confirmed in neighboring Israel. The move comes as countries around the globe look to restrict the import of pork products from the US.

HappyOldGuy
29th April 09, 10:27 PM
That reminds me. I keep hearing about countries stopping pork imports, but from everything I've heard, read, know, etc, that's batfuck insane. So do these countries know something I don't. Are they being paranoid (or catering to paranoid citizens), or are they taking an opportunity to stick it to uncle sam.

Thoughts, especially from some of you ferriners who live in places where they have done this.

rw4th
29th April 09, 11:20 PM
That reminds me. I keep hearing about countries stopping pork imports, but from everything I've heard, read, know, etc, that's batfuck insane. So do these countries know something I don't. Are they being paranoid (or catering to paranoid citizens), or are they taking an opportunity to stick it to uncle sam.

Thoughts, especially from some of you ferriners who live in places where they have done this.

Everything I have read so far indicates that the virus is transmitted by humans, not pigs. I think they're just catering to the paranoia of an ignorant population.

WarPhalange
29th April 09, 11:34 PM
Agreed. Same thing happened some years back when the US had a few cases of mad cow disease. I forget if it was Korea or Japan (I think it was Korea) where people were protesting against importation of US beef into the country. Just goes to show that people are dumb as fuck all over the globe.

I mean, the pigs that originally transmitted this virus were in Mexico. Why would Egyptian pigs suddenly get the virus?

bob
29th April 09, 11:38 PM
Well, if they were jihadist suicide pigs they could contrive to infect themselves.

29th April 09, 11:39 PM
I mean, the pigs that originally transmitted this virus were in Mexico. Why would Egyptian pigs suddenly get the virus?

You know....sometimes it is hard to tell them apart.

Wounded Ronin
29th April 09, 11:41 PM

It is bullshit to stop pig imports. It just shows how people are really stupid.

Xioxou
30th April 09, 03:23 AM
Now, how concerned should we rationally be ?Swine flu killed 100, may go on to kill 1,000.

Seasonal flu kills 30,000. Ever year.

The only thing that has effected me so far is they recalled the alfalfa sprouts at Jummy Jon's because they came from Mexico. YOU CAN'T GET THE FLU FROM VEGGIES!

Steve
30th April 09, 03:44 AM
You can't get it from bacon either.

nihilist
30th April 09, 03:46 AM
You CAN get the flu from vegetarians, however.

Steve
30th April 09, 03:57 AM
You CAN get the flu from vegetarians, however.

Oh, cool! My meat eating, blood drinking, bone gnawing, and corpse raping friends won't miss our Sex in the City marathon I planned for this weekend!!

Thank god (all the snacks won't have to be thrown out).

Kiko
30th April 09, 05:27 AM
i was watching a talkshow last night with some dude who was an expert virologist, he said ... the flu is a combination of 4 viruses, 2 from pigs 1 from bird and one from humans, all four combined.'

So it really should be called ManBirdPig Flu?

Lebell
30th April 09, 06:33 AM
please tell me you're single...

Lebell
30th April 09, 06:39 AM
oh and the first case of swineflu is reported in Lolland too.
some 3 year old kid caught it, whole family in quarantaine.

Quikfeet509
30th April 09, 08:31 AM
Swine flu killed 100, may go on to kill 1,000.

Seasonal flu kills 30,000. Ever year.

The only thing that has effected me so far is they recalled the alfalfa sprouts at Jummy Jon's because they came from Mexico. YOU CAN'T GET THE FLU FROM VEGGIES!

The value of a person's life is evaluated by several key measures, most importantly of which are: age and race. It sucks to watch a 75 year old die of the flu on a vent in the ICU, but we kinda expect it.

But when rich white thirty-year old folks that live out in the burbs start getting sick, people notice.

Triage isn't just used in emergency medicine - we use it everyday on everyone.

That's the reason why this is big.

Aaranar
30th April 09, 10:05 AM

They recalled the sprouts due to Listeria concerns.

Source : http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/5685

theotherserge
30th April 09, 10:42 AM
Hahaha! LOL Joe Biden!

30th April 09, 11:04 AM
Dude, if I were Joe Biden I would issue my family flamethrowers.

theotherserge
30th April 09, 11:44 AM
If I were in the Obama administration, I'd issue Joe Biden a ball-gag.

30th April 09, 11:48 AM
If I were Obama, I would issue Biden a swine flu sammich!

theotherserge
30th April 09, 11:54 AM
Via burro delivery!!!

...get it? From the ass!

theotherserge
30th April 09, 11:55 AM
Hey, I'm the only one viewing this thread! Everybody MUST BE DEAD OF SWIN3 F1U!!!

30th April 09, 12:00 PM
Now I'm the last survivor!

HQA!

elipson
30th April 09, 03:53 PM
Looks like we've got a case of Swine flu here in my city.

I'm off to home depot to stock up on machetes, axes and building supplies. I'll let everyone know when they start reanimating.

30th April 09, 04:02 PM
Think:
Crossbow.

elipson
30th April 09, 04:53 PM
Where the hell am I going to find a crossbow?

I think I'll settle for a two-headed axe, for now...

Kiko
30th April 09, 08:06 PM
I know! Let's have CAKE!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/SclNWxDgnYI/AAAAAAAACRo/e9kp3hIFkg8/s320/Cattie+P+.+lw+.+hog.JPG

Harpy
1st May 09, 01:07 AM
The company I work for just issued a global directive on how to minimize the risk of contracting swine flu, the difference between 'influenza' and the 'common cold' as well as put into place measures such as:

* any employee who calls in sick will not be allowed to return to work until certified by a company approved doctor

* all intercompany travel will cease unless approved on a case by case basis by Regional Directors

* all employees are discouraged from travelling overseas on holidays, if they do, they cannot return to work until they bring a medical certificate from a company approved doctor

* decontamination procedures if any employee is confirmed to have contracted 'swine flu'

* orders placed a few days ago for phenolic disinfectants, bleach, alcohol wipes, germicides containing tuberculocidal, quaternary ammonia compounds and perxygen compounds.

1st May 09, 08:34 AM
^^^
WIN!

Cullion
1st May 09, 08:38 AM
It's too late for travel restrictions in most countries I think. Even if you could restrict the population's travel to the norm of 1918 (which ain't gonna happen), it would still likely spread just as much and it's already present in the countries of everybody posting here.

1st May 09, 08:43 AM
I am of the opinion the English had the right idea with the Scots in the film, Doomsday.

Lebell
1st May 09, 08:48 AM
ive emailed every girl i used to know offering to have sex with them before we all get sick and die...no replies so far...

Cullion
1st May 09, 09:55 AM
They'll get back to you when they've finished masturbating.

1st May 09, 10:01 AM
Lebell, your reservoir of STDs is probably what mutated into this swine flu

Cullion
1st May 09, 10:07 AM
You think he should stop using his bacon glove?

Madgrenade
1st May 09, 10:07 AM
"Preliminary analysis of the swine flu virus suggests it is a fairly mild strain, scientists say."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8028371.stm

If this is so, then why are so many people in Mexico said to have bought it? Is it just a total exageration? Or has the virus been genetically engineered to specificaly target Mexicans?

Cullion
1st May 09, 10:12 AM
Viruses can apparently attenuate.

Remember:-

i) Virii reproduce at a very, very fast pace. Advantageous mutations can become dominant quickly.

ii) Killing your host very fast isn't actually that great a reproduction strategy for a microbe. This variant only has an incubation period of a couple of days before symptoms present

iii) Ergo, it's quite possible that an initial outbreak with a fairly high casualty rate will likely mutate into something less lethal as it spreads.

Zendetta
1st May 09, 10:19 AM
If you haven't already heard, Israel is lobbying to have it re-labelled "Mexican Flu" as "Swine Flu" wasn't, you know, Kosher.

So...

lol omg Mexicans R Pigs!!!!!11!!

Lebell
1st May 09, 10:23 AM
hm what about ' the mexican plague' ?
sounds nice for news networks to use.

perhaps something more dramatic like ' the mexican terror coughing disease which you can die from'

Zendetta
1st May 09, 10:28 AM
hm what about ' the mexican plague' ?

I'm pretty sure that Fox News already used that one to describe something else.

HappyOldGuy
1st May 09, 10:30 AM
I'm leaning towards the 'when pigs fly' plague myself.

Truculent Sheep
1st May 09, 10:33 AM
Cooked ham and pork products are going cheap where I am. Holidays in Mexico should be pretty cheap too - and the locals will need the extra trade and solidarity also. Silver lining, people, silver lining...

Lebell
1st May 09, 10:34 AM
' the AI Caramba incident' if you want to downplay the pandemic.

1st May 09, 11:01 AM
Montezuma's Revenge. Part Deux

Lebell
1st May 09, 11:14 AM
El influenca del muerto.

if only i could speak spanish.

jnp
1st May 09, 11:33 AM
Well it looks like my dreams of a worldwide cull are evaporating quickly.

Maybe the next batch will be better.

theotherserge
1st May 09, 12:10 PM
I'm here!!! *raises hand excitedly*

Lebell
1st May 09, 12:11 PM
i dont know, you guys, im not..feeling...so good...
should i see a doctor?

Antifa
1st May 09, 01:06 PM
i dont know, you guys, im not..feeling...so good...
should i see a doctor?

no

bleach cures it

Lebell
1st May 09, 04:10 PM
it does!

and my teeth are whiter then ever!

thanks antifa!

elipson
1st May 09, 04:36 PM
You can't cure Zombieism with bleach. Antifa is lying to you, but for what purpose I wonder?

1st May 09, 05:12 PM
Fire is the only cure.

Kiko
2nd May 09, 04:49 AM
http://www.sharingmachine.com/sm-swine-pandemic-apr09.gif

Harpy
8th July 09, 12:18 AM
A lady at my office who got back from LA three weeks ago has been diagnosed with the swine flu. She was off for a few days and is back at work today. I've started showing flu symptoms in the last 24 hours. I've been well ALL WINTER DAMMIT!

Ajamil
8th July 09, 01:33 AM
We'll miss you , Lily.

Lebell
8th July 09, 07:27 AM
A lady at my office who got back from LA three weeks ago has been diagnosed with the swine flu. She was off for a few days and is back at work today. I've started showing flu symptoms in the last 24 hours. I've been well ALL WINTER DAMMIT!

you shouldnt die a virgin, pm me, im sure we can arrange something.

8th July 09, 10:47 AM
Don't worry Lulxy, Swine Flu isn't an STD

HappyOldGuy
8th July 09, 10:58 AM
Don't worry Lulxy, Swine Flu isn't an STD

Well, maybe for Reese.

8th July 09, 11:22 AM
PigFucker Tag for REEZ?

Cullion
8th July 09, 11:29 AM
You guys can't take anything seriously.

HappyOldGuy
8th July 09, 11:40 AM

I'm pretty sure that Lily will be fine. But if need be I will email her some chicken soup.

8th July 09, 12:16 PM
I am still trying to figure out how pig fucking isn't serious?

HappyOldGuy
8th July 09, 12:30 PM
I am still trying to figure out how pig fucking isn't serious?

He doesn't give them his real phone number.

8th July 09, 12:33 PM
PORKWHORE!

Ajamil
8th July 09, 02:21 PM

I take humor very seriously. This is life Cullion; laugh or cry.

nihilist
9th July 09, 12:59 AM
I only fuck HOG for sport.