PDA

View Full Version : the next robin hood is a kiwi

partyboy
21st April 09, 03:48 PM
First look: New Robin Hood on point with 'Gladiator'
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

Robin Hood, say hello to Gladiator.
The story of the bandit who steals from the rich and gives to the poor gets a makeover in Robin Hood, which reunites Gladiator star Russell Crowe and director Ridley Scott.

Sporting a Caesar haircut and slimmed-down physique, Crowe shed the weight he gained for his portly characters in State of Play and Body of Lies. He also updated the bandit's wardrobe.

"He doesn't have the old Robin Hood tights," says producer Brian Grazer. "He's got armor. He's very medieval. He looks, if anything, more like he did in Gladiator than anything we're used to seeing with Robin Hood."

And though it won't be easy replicating the box office or Oscar success of the 2000 film —Gladiator raked in $458 million worldwide and won five Academy Awards, including best picture — Grazer says Robin Hood's story was ripe for revisiting.

"Oddly, it's a metaphor for today," Grazer says. "He's trying to create equality in a world where there are a lot of injustices. He's a crusader for the people, trying to reclaim some of the ill-gotten gains of the wealthy. That's a universal theme."

Not that the film will linger on the contemporary. "We just shot a scene where Maid Marion fires a flaming bow and arrow into the night sky. It's just a cool story."

http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2009/04/20/robinhoodx.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-04-19-robin-hood-first-look_N.htm?csp=34

ok.. i'm all for ridley scott doing robin hood, but this is either going to be REALLY REALLY awesome... or meh. hopefully the studios don't butcher it like they did kingdom of heaven

here's the full cast from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_(2010_film)):
- Russell Crowe plays Robin Hood, in what is Crowe's fifth collaboration with Scott, and their fourth in a row. Having loved the character since childhood, Crowe joined the project despite being initially displeased with the script. He spent ten months reading books about the character and his historical basis, noting "This has got to be the best [Robin Hood depiction] ever done, otherwise I should be doing something else." Crowe put on much weight for 2008's Body of Lies, so Universal considered sending an NBA trainer to Australia to coach him back into fitness. Crowe trained with a bow and arrow for four months and was able to hit a target from 45 metres.
- Cate Blanchett as Lady Marion. Sienna Miller was originally cast in the role.
- Mark Strong as Sir Godfrey, King John's henchman. When interviewed in November 2008, Strong stated the character was originally called Conrad and was based on Guy of Gisbourne. He described him as having blond hair and a disfigurement from being struck by a crossbolt.
- Vanessa Redgrave as Eleanor of Aquitaine, King Richard and King John's mother.
- Oscar Isaac as King John of England.
- Léa Seydoux as Princess Isabella.
- Kevin Durand as Little John.
- Scott Grimes as Will Scarlet, Robin's nephew.
- Alan Doyle as Allan A'Dayle. Crowe enlisted Doyle to play the Merry Men's minstrel, having collaborated on the album My Hand, My Heart.
- William Hurt as William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke.

EDIT: added the new ultra-slim looking russell crowe

Shawarma
21st April 09, 05:13 PM
They don't need to make more Hood movies. They can't top Erroll Flynn.

RickTheCritic
21st April 09, 07:21 PM
Are you forgetting a certain movie with Kevin Costner's ASS IN FULL VIEW???

Erroll Flynn is Robin Hood. The Kevin Costner movie went against the source material.

Steve
21st April 09, 11:47 PM
Crowe better lose a lot of weight.

I personally think that Ian could play a better Robin Hood (if we are going by weight and awesome sauce). Bulky gladiator archer is fucking stupid.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
21st April 09, 11:52 PM
svelte archers are a fantasy invention; remember Odysseus' challenge to the suitors? RH would have been built in his back and shoulders at the very least

Steve
21st April 09, 11:58 PM
But at least you guys could have shared pants.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
21st April 09, 11:59 PM
I thought tights were one size fits all?

WarPhalange
22nd April 09, 12:01 AM
Mel Br00kz 4 life

Robot Jesus
22nd April 09, 04:51 PM
0lUjhEHlh7s

it was funnier when I was 7

WarPhalange
22nd April 09, 04:57 PM
You've gotten dumber since then, apparently.

Spade: The Real Snake
22nd April 09, 05:24 PM
Fuck that. (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1592718/story.jhtml)

WarPhalange
22nd April 09, 08:33 PM
Sounds like it would be a better video game than movie.

Harpy
22nd April 09, 08:54 PM
I personally think that Ian could play a better Robin Hood (if we are going by weight and awesome sauce).

Ian G.R. 'Ian'?

As much as I love Cate Blanchett, Russell Crowe and the whole Robin Hood story, I'm sick to death of it. We've had many different heroes and heroines to choose from since the 12th century. Time to get some new material Hollywood.

Not going to bother watching this one.

EuropIan
23rd April 09, 05:52 AM
Erroll Flynn is Robin Hood. The Kevin Costner movie went against the source material.
As a counterpoint I bring up the "the we must stop fighting amongst ourselves"[/broken voice]- speech from the exact same movie.

That speech ruined everything and put all the pressure on Morgan Freeman to save the movie. Not that it wasn't his anyway.

Shawarma
23rd April 09, 06:54 AM
What was Freeman doing in that movie anyway? Who thought it was a good idea to put a black dude in a movie about medieval britain and then have everyone around him act like it's no big deal?

partyboy
23rd April 09, 08:39 AM
teh real robin hood:

wyfYcE8g59Y

RickTheCritic
23rd April 09, 05:28 PM
Ian/NOB:

When I said went against source material I actually meant tone. Turning a light story in a dark story or reverse (example: batman and robin) is a bad idea.

Now for some real robin hood

B2rFsKMaCCE&feature=related

Kiko
24th April 09, 07:16 AM
A buck and a quarter quarterstaff!

My first mental image was Robin throwing a hotel phone at someone instead of shooting an arrow.

Um, not to contradict our resident archer, but weren't English bows easier to pull because they were longbows made of yew, or is that a myth?

Errol Flyn for life indeed.

Oh, and all tights are NOT (http://www.purpleunicorn.shoppingcartsplus.com/menstights.html) equal.

EuropIan
24th April 09, 07:20 AM
Ian/NOB:

When I said went against source material I actually meant tone. Turning a light story in a dark story or reverse (example: batman and robin) is a bad idea.

Now for some real robin hood

I qouted you by accident when I meant to qoute nun.

However I disagree with tone. You can most certainly make a dark and sinister Robin Hood and make it work.

What Kostner failed at was doing a st. crispin's day type speech and completly failing on the delivery. and that is unforgivable.

The movie did have some great lines and Alan Rickman was a great sherif of Nottingham.

Kiko
24th April 09, 07:23 AM
What was Freeman doing in that movie anyway? Who thought it was a good idea to put a black dude in a movie about medieval britain and then have everyone around him act like it's no big deal?
He was supposed to be a Moor. Crusades and all that. They did make it to Spain, so why not England?

Ah, who am I kidding, it was a contrived bit of fluff (despite Alan Rickman) designed to show us Costner's butt since he belongs in films about baseball, golf and probably fishing!

Shawarma
24th April 09, 07:43 AM
In my opinion, he belongs in A movie about sailing around in a post-apocalyptic oceanic world fighting water raiders. He can pretty much stay away from all other movies, the bland, monotone boyscout that he is. Same goes for Nick Cage and his toupé of doom.

Kiko
24th April 09, 07:53 AM
I didn't see that one. I heard it sucked way too much to be seen. But you make a very good point.

I did like Crowe in 'A Beautiful Mind'. I actually bought a second copy of the DvD after someone broke the first one in half. On purpose.

Shawarma
24th April 09, 07:56 AM
Liking Waterworld is a guilty pleasure of mine. I think it's great - Mad Max, maritime edition.

Quikfeet509
24th April 09, 09:08 AM
When the little girl was talking about how Costner's character was such a badass (in Waterworld), and it kept cutting to scenes of him owning people, I hoped that someone would ruin his day. It didn't happen.

Kevin Costner is never intimidating. However, he was mildly funny in 3000 Miles to Graceland, which was his best film.

EuropIan
24th April 09, 09:17 AM
Kevin Costner is never intimidating. However, he was mildly funny in 3000 Miles to Graceland, which was his best film.
Agreed.

Even there he had to fight really hard not to have Ice T and Kurt Russel steal his spotlight.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th April 09, 12:34 PM
Um, not to contradict our resident archer, but weren't English bows easier to pull because they were longbows made of yew, or is that a myth?

Oh hell no. Long selfbows are a pain in the ass because they stack horribly. On top of that the English and Welsh were using some of the heaviest bows around and drawing to the face.

Spade: The Real Snake
24th April 09, 12:39 PM
Oh hell no. Long selfbows are a pain in the ass because they stack horribly. On top of that the English and Welsh were using some of the heaviest bows around and drawing to the face.

As someone who has read the Mike Grell miniseries, Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters.

Oliver Queen has a KICKASS Van Dyke

Kiko
24th April 09, 01:48 PM

So they weren't an improvement over previous bows? I seem to remember there was SOMETHING better about them.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th April 09, 03:55 PM
Shorter bows stack even worse and can't be made as heavy nor drawn as far before exploding.
The real champion in the traditional bow department is the laminated recurve that was popular in Asia. They can be made in high weights and drawn very far but are also smaller, smoother, and shoot a faster arrow.

but a ninety pound bow is still a ninety pound bow. Being easier to draw than a different ninety pound bow won't make your muscles any smaller.