PDA

View Full Version : Ahmadinejad trolls the UN, the West walk out

Steve
20th April 09, 04:07 PM
Ah, now this is how trolling is done:

Iran's leader sparks Western walkout at UN meeting

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/ScreenHunter_01Apr201403.gifGENEVA – Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad accused the West of using the Holocaust as a "pretext" for aggression against Palestinians, prompting European diplomats to walk out Monday from a speech disrupted by jeering protesters in rainbow wigs tossing red clown noses at the hardline leader.

A U.N. racism conference on the eve of Israel's Holocaust Remembrance Day disintegrated into chaos moments after Ahmadinejad became the first government official to take the floor. Two protesters in wigs tossed the noses at Ahmadinejad as he recited a Muslim prayer to begin his speech.

A Jewish student group from France later took credit for causing the disturbance, saying members were trying to convey "the masquerade that this conference represents."

Ahmadinejad restarted his talk and delivered a speech that lasted more than a half-hour, saying the United States and Europe had helped establish Israel after World War II at the expense of Palestinians.

"They resorted to military aggression to make an entire nation homeless under the pretext of Jewish suffering," he said.

That prompted a walkout by some 40 diplomats from Britain and France and other European countries that had threatened to leave the conference if it descended into anti-Semitism or other rhetoric harshly critical of Israel, which marred the U.N.'s last racism gathering eight years ago in South Africa.

The United States and eight other Western countries were already boycotting the event because of concerns about its fairness.

Ahmadinejad went on to accuse Israel of being the "most cruel and repressive racist regime."

Protesters held placards reading "This is a circus. A racist cannot fight racism," and repeatedly interrupted the speech with shouts of "Shame! shame!" and "Racist! racist!"

Later, about 100 members of mainly pro-Israel and Jewish groups tried to block Ahmadinejad's entrance to a scheduled news conference.

U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon met with Ahmadinejad before his speech and said he had counseled the Iranian leader to avoid dividing the conference. Ban later said he was disappointed Ahmadinejad had used his speech "to accuse, divide and even incite," directly opposing the aim of the meeting.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry condemned Ahmadinejad's speech and Ban's meeting with the Iranian leader.

"It is unfortunate that U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon deemed it appropriate to meet with the greatest Holocaust denier of our time, the head of a U.N. member state who calls for the destruction of another UN member state. This matter is especially severe, as it took place on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day," Israel said.

Ahmadinejad has been praised by some in the Muslim world for calling for Israel's destruction and for other anti-Israeli comments. The hard-liner has often used international forums to criticize Israel including at last year's U.N. General Assembly where he said Israel was on "a definite slope to collapse."

But his comments Monday could also further strain efforts to improve relations with the United States, Israel's top ally. Iran has been mostly lukewarm to overtures from President Barack Obama, but last week Ahmadinejad said the Islamic Republic was ready for a new relationship with Washington.

Alejandro Wolff, the U.S. deputy ambassador to the United Nations, denounced "the Ahmadinejad spectacle" and the Iranian president's "vile and hateful speech."

"It's inaccurate. It shows disregard for the organization to which he is speaking, the United Nations, and does a grave injustice to the Iranian nation and the Iranian people," Wolff told reporters at U.N. headquarters in New York.

"We call on the Iranian leadership to show much measured, moderate, honest and constructive rhetoric when dealing with issues in the region, and not this type of vile, hateful, inciteful speech that we all saw ... this morning," he said.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown's spokesman said Britain would return to the talks but "unreservedly condemns his offensive and unacceptable remarks."

"He ascribed all the problems relating to racism in the modern world to Israel and the Jewish state, and that was enough for me to walk out," British Ambassador Peter Gooderham said.

In Paris, French President Nicolas Sarkozy condemned what he called "an intolerable call to racist hate" and urged a firm reaction by the European Union.

Ahmadinejad's speech also took aim at the United States for its role in the global economic crisis and at Western countries for imposing unfair economic conditions on the developing world. Among his more brazen claims was the allegation that Zionists instigated the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in concert with weapons manufacturers.

Iran's state TV broadcast pictures showing some delegates cheering and other delegates leaving the conference.

"The president confidently continued his speech despite efforts by some Western diplomats to disrupt his address," it said.

But Ahmadinejad's anti-Israel remarks may not be well-received among many others in Iran. Ahmadinejad is up for re-election in June, but his popularity has been waning as Iran's economy struggles with high-inflation and unemployment. Many have criticized Ahmadinejad for spending too much time on anti-Israel and anti-Western rhetoric and not enough on the country's economy.

Ahmadinejad, as head of state, had the right to speak and did not need a U.N. invitation to the weeklong event aimed at stamping out intolerance worldwide.

Joining the U.S. as boycotters were Australia, Canada, Germany, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand and Poland.

And even before Ahmadinejad's speech, Israel withdrew its ambassador from Switzerland on Monday in a harsh diplomatic response to a pre-conference dinner shared by Swiss President Hans-Rudolf Merz and Ahmadinejad. In their Sunday night conversation, Merz pressed the case of a jailed American journalist in Iran, acting in Switzerland's role as the official representative of U.S. interests in Iran.

The Swiss government said it also took up other "unresolved cases" of U.S.-Iranian relations in the meeting, which occurred Sunday night hours after Obama said the United States would communicate with Iran about journalist Roxana Saberi through Swiss intermediaries.

Speaking directly after Ahmadinejad's speech, Norway's Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store said the Iranian leader's comments "run counter to the very spirit of dignity of the conference."

Ahmadinejad "has made Iran the odd man out," he said.

-----------------------------------

Link. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090420/ap_on_re_eu/un_un_racism_conference)

Seriously, it's always one step forward then two steps back when dealing with Iran. I imagine their government really would like to be on good terms with the United States and the rest of the Western countries... If Ahmadinejad could just keep his foot out of his mouth for 5 fucking minutes (or 30 mins, in this case).

Phrost
20th April 09, 04:15 PM
More like 0 steps forward; just a lot of empty fucking gestures by Obama that risk us being taken even less seriously. At least Bush had that whole "I don't care, I'll fucking nuke you for Jesus" thing going for him.

Robot Jesus
20th April 09, 04:16 PM
This is the hardliners in Iran trying their best to sabotage relations with the Us because if they don't the moderates will continue to gain power.

Phrost
20th April 09, 04:20 PM
"Moderate" meaning, slightly less fucking batshit, but still batshit enough to be given approval by the mullahs to run for office.

Robot Jesus
20th April 09, 04:26 PM
basically, but also business interests.

remember Ahmadinejad was elected as a reformer and then said fuck that noise.

the better Iran does economically the less batshit insane they will act

Shawarma
20th April 09, 04:28 PM
Funny how telling the truth produces all this butthurt.

HappyOldGuy
20th April 09, 04:43 PM
Funny how telling the truth produces all this butthurt.

The truth is that the entire muslim world ignored the UN, declared war on Israel, got their asses handed to them consistently, and refused multiple reasonable attempts to settle the issue until it finally dawned on them that they were too big a bunch of pussies to actually beat Israel militarily, whereupn they invented a historically nonexistant palestinian state to play the vitcim card and go suck at the UN teat.

That's more truth than ahmedinijad can handle I think.

Shawarma
20th April 09, 04:47 PM
"pretext of Jewish suffering" is correct, though.

Cullion
20th April 09, 04:49 PM
More like 0 steps forward; just a lot of empty fucking gestures by Obama that risk us being taken even less seriously. At least Bush had that whole "I don't care, I'll fucking nuke you for Jesus" thing going for him.

You're insane. Yes you are.

HappyOldGuy
20th April 09, 04:51 PM
Like everything else he said, it's half the story. Jewish settlement in "the holy land" had been going on since before the infamous autrian painter was even born.

Cullion
20th April 09, 04:56 PM
historically nonexistant palestinian state to play the vitcim card and go suck at the UN teat.

This is inaccurate.

HappyOldGuy
20th April 09, 04:59 PM
This is inaccurate.
Which part? There has never been a palestinian state in the entire history of the world. There may have been some other slight reasons for inventing one besides just the handouts.

Cullion
20th April 09, 05:05 PM
Well, there was the British Mandate.

Before 1948, there hadn't been a 'Jewish' state since biblical times. Be more precise pls.

Virus
20th April 09, 05:10 PM
You could be right HOG, but I've read that Israel expelled thousands of people from their land and engaged in behavior that could be regarded as "dick-shittery".

Cullion
20th April 09, 05:14 PM
There is a nuanced history here. There were Zionist Jews who returned to Israel and were gentle and peaceful people who made a point of getting on with their gentile neighbours, and there were very hardline and rough settlers who basically used terror tactics to try and scare people off the land they wanted.

As far as I can see, the same divide is still there today in Israeli Jewish society.

Einstein wrote profusely on this subject from the 'gentle and calm' side of the fence. He was offered the first presidency of Israel but turned it down.

Oh how I wish somebody had persuaded him to take it.

The reason I asked if you'd read the Talmud is that you can see both extremes in it. It's not claimed to be the 'word of God', it's the collected thoughts of respected rabbis over the centuries. Some of them were pretty harsh, but there are also many beautiful and humane sentiments in it.

Ajamil
20th April 09, 05:34 PM
That prompted a walkout by some 40 diplomats from Britain and France and other European countries that had threatened to leave the conference if it descended into anti-Semitism or other rhetoric harshly critical of Israel, which marred the U.N.'s last racism gathering eight years ago in South Africa.

I can understand everything but this - we can't even criticize Israel now? What do they mean by harsh?

Cullion
20th April 09, 05:39 PM
Well 'we' can, but flimsy politicians in receipt of donations that have been filtered through the usual channels from the Israeli Hard-Right won't.

HappyOldGuy
20th April 09, 09:57 PM
Well, there was the British Mandate.

Before 1948, there hadn't been a 'Jewish' state since biblical times. Be more precise pls.

Where did I say there had been? Every single thing I said was true, which is more than you can say for Ahmedinijad, but the point is that both sides like to only tell half the truth.

socratic
21st April 09, 05:00 AM
I can understand everything but this - we can't even criticize Israel now? What do they mean by harsh?
Iran and it's fellow asshole nations tend to take any opportunity to spout the most ridiculous antisemetic bullshit that any attempt by any of them to discuss Israel should be quickly ignored. Ahmedinijihad has been hosting 'hate jewish people' parties for awhile now and none of them have any interest in reasoned debate, they just want to shit all over everything as quickly and as badly as possible.

Edit: In Roman times the Israel region was called divided a bit; there was Judea and Samaria, and Idumaea and a few other states. Most of those got subsumed by the British Mandate, and I'd imagine before that they were part of the Ottoman Empire or something, but I'm not certain. There basically hasn't been a proper Jewish state there since Titus and his dad destroyed it, although there were always attempts by the Jewish Diaspora to resettle it. Mostly it ended in them getting killed.

Ajamil
21st April 09, 06:33 AM
So it was a "no-trolling" clause in order to get to other issues. I guess the wording threw me off a bit.

socratic
21st April 09, 08:26 AM
So it was a "no-trolling" clause in order to get to other issues. I guess the wording threw me off a bit.

It was more a "We're still angry at your for shitting up our last party with your lameness, Ahmedinejihad. If you pull this shit again we're walking." Mr A: "No sweat guys, you can count on me ha ha!"

Then he walks up and says "So, what's the deal with Israel?" and everyone says "Not this fucking shit again. Fuck you, A, we're out of here."

Cullion
21st April 09, 02:22 PM
Muslim arabs didn't complained about it then though.

WarPhalange
21st April 09, 03:10 PM

They are discussing global issues and don't want to play that game again. It's like talking about healthcare and having someone jump in with an abortion debate that implicitly carries a religion debate inside of it. It doesn't get anybody anywhere, especially when discussing it with a fanatic.

Do you think Ahmy would have said anything besides "DEATH TO ISRAEL!"? Of course not. If he didn't show a record of being batshit insane, he might have been allowed to bring up Israel's recent hostile actions, even against UN trucks. But allowing him to do it now would be like letting Riddeck talk about science. He'd start out alright, but very soon he would just fall apart when you disprove everything he said or thought, and he'd just say you're close minded and it's all a conspiracy against him blah blah, then he'd walk out butthurt.

socratic
21st April 09, 06:32 PM
Muslim arabs didn't complained about it then though.

I don't think there's that many Iranians, Palestinians, Jordanians, Saudi Arabians, etc etc who would complain about it now.

jkdbuck76
22nd April 09, 10:03 AM

That's odd. Ahdeminijahd sez there was no holocaust.

nihilist
23rd April 09, 11:42 PM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/moleculo_9000/israel-palestine_map.jpg

Cullion
25th April 09, 07:12 AM
That's odd. Ahdeminijahd sez there was no holocaust.

Well, what did he actually say on this topic ?

Shawarma
25th April 09, 07:15 AM
IIRC, he merely said that if there was a holocaust, it should be the problem of Europeans and that they shouldn't be shoving all them damn Jews into Muslim territory. He didn't actually deny it taking place, as far as I remember.

socratic
25th April 09, 08:30 AM
IIRC, he merely said that if there was a holocaust, it should be the problem of Europeans and that they shouldn't be shoving all them damn Jews into Muslim territory. He didn't actually deny it taking place, as far as I remember.

I thought he made a point of saying it didn't happen? Like, he's making a speech, then he pulls his dick out, shouts "The holocaust didn't happen! DEATH TO ISRAEL! I'M THE FUCKING PRESIDENT BABY" or something.

Cullion
25th April 09, 08:34 AM
He said he didn't believe the 6 million figure and that zionists treated the Holocaust like a religion, but he didn't deny that it occurred.

Lebell
25th April 09, 09:40 AM
GENEVA – Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad accused the West of using the Holocaust as a "pretext" for aggression against Palestinians, prompting European diplomats to walk out Monday from a speech disrupted by jeering protesters in rainbow wigs tossing red clown noses at the hardline leader.

A U.N. racism conference on the eve of Israel's Holocaust Remembrance Day disintegrated into chaos moments after Ahmadinejad became the first government official to take the floor. Two protesters in wigs tossed the noses at Ahmadinejad as he recited a Muslim prayer to begin his speech.

The prayer is most likely done to impress his own base back home.
Not unlike Hussain who wrote the Quran in blood. (considered an unclean action actually)

A Jewish student group from France later took credit for causing the disturbance, saying members were trying to convey "the masquerade that this conference represents."

Huh? Are there conferences that arent masquerades?

Ahmadinejad restarted his talk and delivered a speech that lasted more than a half-hour, saying the United States and Europe had helped establish Israel after World War II at the expense of Palestinians.

"They resorted to military aggression to make an entire nation homeless under the pretext of Jewish suffering," he said.

Seems to be a fairly accurate description to me.

In a way this makes a UN conference like the MAP.
hehe.

The United States and eight other Western countries were already boycotting the event because of concerns about its fairness.
Yes because the USA has prooved to take the UN very seriously and is deeply concerned about fairness of procedures within the UN, like they did in march 2003 and..oh..nevermind.

Ahmadinejad went on to accuse Israel of being the "most cruel and repressive racist regime."

Thats why i love powerplay...the irony of both sides is awesome!

" This matter is especially severe, as it took place on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day," Israel said.

ENTIRELY coincedental im sure.

Ahmadinejad has been praised by some in the Muslim world for calling for Israel's destruction and for other anti-Israeli comments. The hard-liner has often used international forums to criticize Israel including at last year's U.N. General Assembly where he said Israel was on "a definite slope to collapse."

Any expert can tell you they are, even if they would be capable of winning the conflict they'd still be outbred by the palestinians.
Demograpically they can't last that long actually.

Alejandro Wolff, the U.S. deputy ambassador to the United Nations, denounced "the Ahmadinejad spectacle" and the Iranian president's "vile and hateful speech."

"It's inaccurate. It shows disregard for the organization to which he is speaking, the United Nations, and does a grave injustice to the Iranian nation and the Iranian people," Wolff told reporters at U.N. headquarters in New York.

gtfo. invasion of Iraq.
When it comes to disregarding the UN, the USA is calling the pot black while they themselves are the kettle.

Ahmadinejad's speech also took aim at the United States for its role in the global economic crisis and at Western countries for imposing unfair economic conditions on the developing world. Among his more brazen claims was the allegation that Zionists instigated the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in concert with weapons manufacturers.

I actually agree with the rage boy here.

Iran's state TV broadcast pictures showing some delegates cheering and other delegates leaving the conference.
Political gain for him back home.

But Ahmadinejad's anti-Israel remarks may not be well-received among many others in Iran. Ahmadinejad is up for re-election in June, but his popularity has been waning as Iran's economy struggles with high-inflation and unemployment. Many have criticized Ahmadinejad for spending too much time on anti-Israel and anti-Western rhetoric and not enough on the country's economy.

Just like George W would never be elected for a second term in th white house huh?

Joining the U.S. as boycotters were Australia, Canada, Germany, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand and Poland.
Ah the Dutch,America's unseen but most obedient lapdog/ally!

Let me break it down:

So basically it was all a storm in a teacup, it didnt mean nothing.
Rageboy got his 5 minutes of fame he could take back to Iran to show on national tv,
Israel was pissed off and made a ' zomg remember the holocaust you guiz!' comment,
the White house was a bit like :' hey come you people, knock it off, we dont want no trouble, btw can we have our journalist back plz?'

More interesting about these kind of circusses are the figures, the amount of millions of taxdollars that we all over the globe pay for to make these kind off shannanigans possible.

Cullion
25th April 09, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure why Ahmenijad isn't supposed to bring up Israel at a racism conference.
The country has immigration laws where you have to prove you're Jewish. Most of you would go fucking berserk if 'Jewish' were substituted for 'Christian' by a country taking that much aid from the American taxpayer, but you really are just that scared of being accused of antisemitism. It's pathetic.

HappyOldGuy
25th April 09, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure why Ahmenijad isn't supposed to bring up Israel at a racism conference.
The country has immigration laws where you have to prove you're Jewish. Most of you would go fucking berserk if 'Jewish' were substituted for 'Christian' by a country taking that much aid from the American taxpayer, but you really are just that scared of being accused of antisemitism. It's pathetic.

Because a guy who wants to exterminate all jews doesn't get to whine about little details like that. It's not rocket science.

Cullion
25th April 09, 12:34 PM
Ahmenijad doesn't want to exterminate all Jews and I don't for a minute belive that you really believe what you just said.

Virus
25th April 09, 12:58 PM
He might not want to exterminate all Jews but "death to Israel" is a popular chant at his political rallies and in mosques.

Cullion
25th April 09, 01:02 PM
Pretty much the same sentiment is espoused by people in the political tradition of Avigdor Lieberman. Remember the McCain 'bomb-bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb Iran ditty?'. It's not like this doesn't work both ways.

Lebell
25th April 09, 01:10 PM
and i also feel that Carthage should be destroyed...

Nothing new under the sun, boys.

I feel the whole middle east should be destroyed and rebuild as a huge Religionworld (tm)

survivors of the nuclear lolocaust get work dressed as Muhammed or Jesus or Moses and inform the children visiting the dangers of Religious intolerance and overall stupidity.

Virus
25th April 09, 01:10 PM
We were discussing whether there is evidence he intends harm to Jews or Israel, not whether US politicians are hypocrites.

Lebell
25th April 09, 01:18 PM
ReligionWorld!!! (formerly known as the middle east tm)

Book your holiday online!

Religionworld offers many breathtaking attractions!

The Mosescoaster!
Take a ride on the worlds biggest rollercoaster!
Starting at mount Sinai, plunging through the Red Sea and ending the thrilling ride at the pyramids where you can experience the thrill of being a jewish slave working at the pyramids! ( flogging included!)

Visit intolerantville!
-Do you have what it takes to stone the unveiled woman fom 20 feet distance?
Great prizes to win!

- Also featuring Inquisitionfun: can you spot the heretic and set fire to the stake in less then 2 minutes?

Soon to come: Crusaderland! storm the infadels cities and exterminate the innocent population, after all God/Allah is on YOUR side!

Cullion
25th April 09, 03:37 PM
We were discussing whether there is evidence he intends harm to Jews or Israel, not whether US politicians are hypocrites.

Well, I don't think he intends to harm Jews. Their are still plenty of Jews living openly in Iran, under the protection of its constitution. They even accused the Israeli government of playing politics which they didn't want to be involved in when it offered them money to relocate to Israel.

He's is of course vehemently anti-Zionist.

Virus
25th April 09, 07:26 PM
I agree that he doesn't intend to harm all Jews. Even the Ayatollah Khomeini tolerated Iran's Jewish population. (Things have been rough for them though.)

I disagree with you comparing of an off-the-cuff, ridiculous remark by Mcain to open, mass chanting of "Death to Israel" and "Death to America" that goes on in Iranian rallies and Mosques.

Lebell
26th April 09, 04:18 AM
you faggots...

i thought religionworld is a great idea...

Virus
26th April 09, 04:53 AM
It's not bad.

But you've been beaten to the punch:

http://www.holylandexperience.com/

Lebell
26th April 09, 05:03 AM
i didnt see a mosescoaster though...

Virus
26th April 09, 05:05 AM
i didnt see a mosescoaster though...

Just start up a park that's exactly the same but call it "The Real Holy Land Experience."

Lebell
26th April 09, 05:08 AM
Hmm...Islam world...

Let's brainstorm on this...Islamworld...sandbox...camels...shitty houses....not enough water....feeling superior....stoning....veiled women.....

i dont know..

Ajamil
26th April 09, 08:37 AM
Nothing new under the sun, boys.

I feel the whole middle east should be destroyed and rebuild as a huge Religionworld (tm)

survivors of the nuclear lolocaust get work dressed as Muhammed or Jesus or Moses and inform the children visiting the dangers of Religious intolerance and overall stupidity.

I'd go - once the geiger counters stopped clicking.

Also:

From “You Don’t Know Jack” –

You think you know theme parks? You haven’t had fun `til you come to PHILOSOPHER WORLD!

Screw the Mouse! Forget the Mountain! Busch Gardens is for pussies! You want a theme park? Philosopher World is the place for you!

Enter Plato’s Allegory of the Cave (You may never come out!) Strap yourself into the fastest scientific yet secular perspective towards statecraft: The Mach-Three-avelli! Try the Utilitarian Ride: It gets you to the end of the ride, and that’s all that matters!

Every ride is a tabula rasa waiting to be strapped around your waist and grabbed onto for dear life! “You’ll never lose your absolute spirits with this much to do!”

St. Thomas Aquinas’ Log Ride! Ready to Go Karts! Hobbes’ Leviathan! Twirl yourself silly on the Hoses Spinoza! Find Thoreau in the Forestland Scavanger Hunt! Kids, try the new Buridan’s Ass Petting Zoo! One ride and you’ll be coming back for Thomas Moore!

“God may be dead but heaven is a place called PHILOSOPHER WORLD!”