PDA

View Full Version : Alabama: new front lines in the war against drugs

jvjim
19th April 09, 04:31 PM
COLUMBIANA, Ala. Five men dead in an apartment. In a county that might see five homicides in an entire year, the call over the sheriff's radio revealed little about what awaited law enforcement at a sprawling apartment complex.

A type of crime, and criminal, once foreign to this landscape of blooming dogwoods had arrived in Shelby County. Sheriff Chris Curry felt it even before he laid eyes on the grisly scene. He called the state. The FBI. The DEA. Anyone he could think of.

"I don't know what I've got," he warned them. "But I'm gonna need help."

The five dead men lay scattered about the living room of one apartment in a complex of hundreds.

Some of the men showed signs of torture: Burns seared into their earlobes revealed where modified jumper cables had been clamped as an improvised electrocution device. Adhesive from duct tape used to bind the victims still clung to wrists and faces, from mouths to noses.

As a final touch, throats were slashed open, post-mortem.

It didn't take long for Curry and federal agents to piece together clues: A murder scene, clean save for the crimson-turned-brown stains now spotting the carpet. Just a couple of mattresses tossed on the floor. It was a typical stash house.

But the cut throats? Some sort of ghastly warning.

Curry would soon find this was a retaliation hit over drug money with ties to Mexico's notorious Gulf Cartel.

Curry also found out firsthand what federal drug enforcement agents have long understood. The drug war, with the savagery it brings, knows no bounds. It had landed in his back yard, in the foothills of the Appalachians, in Alabama's wealthiest county, around the corner from The Home Depot.

One thousand, twenty-four miles from the Mexico border.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090418/ap_on_re_us/drug_war_the_fight_at_home

This happened in one of the most affluent places in town (http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000006665.php?origref=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3DCahaba+Lakes%26btnG%3DGoogl e+Search%26aq%3Df%26oq%3D&alias=http%3A//www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000006665.php), several of my classmates (all regular, middle class twenty-somethings) live there. To put it in perspective, I'd be shocked if something like that happened where I live, and I live in the "bad" part of town. It's really unsettling to have something this horrible happen here, and I hope it's just an outlier.

elipson
19th April 09, 05:49 PM
Jumper Cables. Shitty.

WarPhalange
19th April 09, 09:26 PM
Hmmm... and in the movies and TV shows they always portray the cops or whatever not wanting to have anything to do with the FBI or whoever else, because they always steal the show. That always bugged me.

Kein Haar
19th April 09, 10:15 PM
It's not because they steal the show, it's because they are very far removed from our level of administration...but they are kind of oblivious to what a pain in the ass it can be.

I.e.

Some FBI agents got in a car crash in a government car. Did they have physical proof of insurance? No. They insisted that they didn't need it because it was insured by the federal government.

Ok, so...what am I supposed to put on the crash report? And more importantly, whom is the other person supposed to contact for the insurance claim? "The government"?

Or when one of them makes a "traffic" stop on his own, and then calls us on the telephone for assistance. I'm talking about something petty and retarded and over which they don't have jurisdiction...like "reckless driving"...and performed in their personal car. What...you don't have federal government traffic tickets? THAT'S RIGHT...JUST LIKE I CAN'T BARGE INTO ANY OLD FEDERAL AREA AND START ENFORCING SHIT I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT. For a variety of reasons, not the least of which it's just fucking stupid.

Or when they did some raid in our town, and they gave us some big fancy television they seized. It's like...ok...when we seize stuff it's usually officially inventoried and stuff...cuz it's not like toys for our personal recreation.

Lo and behold, it WAS improper, and they had to come back for it like stupid indian givers.

I just want to furrow my brow in front of them and let my jaw hang open.

WarPhalange
19th April 09, 10:20 PM
Damn, looks like the FBI is right up my alley... maybe I made the wrong career choice?

Ka-Bar
20th April 09, 12:07 AM
Damn, looks like the FBI is right up my alley... maybe I made the wrong career choice?

Were you in a frat? Would you spend more time at the Hugo Boss store than at the gun range? Is "latte or cappuccino" the biggest decision you make all day?

WarPhalange
20th April 09, 12:34 AM
No, it's "What will I eat for breakfast...?" Never in a frat, don't know what a Hugo Boss is, and the gun range sounds fun. You think I should be a mercenary instead?

Ka-Bar
20th April 09, 12:42 AM
No, it's "What will I eat for breakfast...?" Never in a frat, don't know what a Hugo Boss is, and the gun range sounds fun. You think I should be a mercenary instead?

You'll never make it as a Fed. I suggest you pursue a career as an internet message board moderator.

jubei33
20th April 09, 06:13 AM
Sweet gig. I hear they make the big bucks, moderators.

Kein Haar
20th April 09, 09:00 AM
And they get all teh s3xy lad1es!!1

Fearless Ukemi
20th April 09, 09:07 AM
There are no sexy ladies on the internet.

Kein Haar
20th April 09, 09:13 AM
What about Tigerfly??

EuropIan
20th April 09, 09:46 AM
Hott

Ajamil
20th April 09, 11:18 AM
There are TOO sexy ladies on the internet - the Mods just edit them out and keep them for themselves.

Fearless Ukemi
20th April 09, 12:07 PM
Those are men pretending to be women.

EuropIan
20th April 09, 12:10 PM
Hott