PDA

View Full Version : War? North Korea gets serious.

boondock lee
18th April 09, 08:25 AM
(CNN) -- North Korea said Saturday any sanctions or pressure applied against it following its rocket launch earlier this month will be considered a "declaration of war."
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/18/nkorea.threat/art.nk.soldier.afp.jpgA North Korean soldier looks into South Korea from the demilitarized zone on April 9.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif

In an announcement on state-run television, the country said it was ready to step up efforts to develop nuclear weapons and poised for a military response to any moves against it.
"The revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK are always keeping themselves fully ready to go into action any moment to mercilessly punish anyone who encroaches upon the sovereignty and dignity of the DPRK even a bit," it said.
On Monday the United Nations condemned North Korea (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/North_Korea) -- which refers to itself as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, or DPRK -- for launching a rocket.
The United States called the launch a "provocative act" that violated a 2006 Security Council resolution prohibiting Pyongyang from conducting ballistic missile launches.
Pyongyang insists the April 5 launch was a successful mission to place a communications satellite into orbit. The United States says the rocket's payload did not reach orbit.
The U.N. (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/United_Nations) statement says the rocket launch was "in contravention" to a 2006 Security Council resolution that demanded that North Korea not launch any ballistic missiles.
The 15-member council also voted unanimously for a statement by the council's president demanding the country make no more launches.
"The Korean People's Army will consider sanctions to be applied against the DPRK under various names over its satellite launch or any pressure to be put upon it through 'total participation' in the PSI (Proliferation Security Initiative) as a declaration of undisguised confrontation and a declaration of a war against the DPRK," the announcement on state TV said.
"Now that the group officially declared confrontation and war against the DPRK, its revolutionary armed forces will opt for increasing the nation's defense capability including nuclear deterrent in every way, without being bound to the agreement adopted at the six-party talks," it continued, apparently referring to the Security Council.

Referring to South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, the statement added, "The Lee group of traitors should never forget that Seoul is just 50 kilometers (31 miles) away from the Military Demarcation Line."
That line was established by the 1953 Armistice Agreement between the two Koreas -- which are still technically at war.
A Friday report North Korea's official KCNA news agency, seemed to blame the "war hysteria" on the United States and South Korea after the two countries carried out a combined air force operation in South Korea.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/content/ads/advertisement.gif

The "'South Korea-U.S. military alliance' oft-repeated by them is, in essence, nothing but a 'war alliance' and 'alliance for aggression' aimed at invading the DPRK," the report said.
"When a nuclear war will break out due to the war chariot of the 'South Korea-U.S. military alliance' is a matter of time," it said. "The U.S. and South Korean warmongers would be well advised to stop acting rashly, properly understanding who their rival is."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/18/nkorea.threat/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

for those who TL;DR, the gist of it is that North Korea proclaimed that any sanctions or any pressure against their missile launch = declaration of war. Any one scared shitless or what?

Sun Wukong
18th April 09, 08:40 AM
not in the slightest. North Korea is useless shit-hole of a country with 50 year old technology. If i lived in Seoul I might be worried, but over here safely in the states? Not at all.

There isn't a god damn thing in the world to fear of North Korea. They are essentially holding their civilian population hostage and the population of Seoul with artillery. With a few aircraft carriers and a couple of battle ships we could reduce their entire nation effectively to a smoking scrap pile with conventional weapons alone.

The civilian loss of lives however would be tragically enormous.

EuropIan
18th April 09, 08:48 AM
Posturing because America's spread too thin?

Sun Wukong
18th April 09, 08:53 AM
we're spread out a bit, but not by that much. We don't need to occupy north korea to get our point across well enough.

Shawarma
18th April 09, 10:02 AM
Sabre rattling. Ignore.

"Ooh, me so angly! Me bomb you, unless you send more lice, yes?"

The crazy-man act has been paying off with gifts of food for years. This is simply the latest producion of Batshit Crazy.

theotherserge
18th April 09, 10:06 AM
Also, they get the satisfaction of saying, once again, "FUCK YOU HANS BLIX!!!"

Cullion
18th April 09, 10:13 AM
North Korea is secretly being run by the mad old sifu in Drunken Master

white_kimbo
18th April 09, 10:28 AM
fuck north korea. what threat could they possibly offer anybody but those within a few hundred miles of their boarders? how long would it take to distroy every building in the country? an afternoon?

partyboy
18th April 09, 10:56 AM
who else thinks that the US having a war with N. Korea would be like re-enacting Red Storm Rising except with the US having modern day tech?

theotherserge
18th April 09, 10:58 AM
^that makes me wanna see it happen

OZZ
18th April 09, 11:02 AM
Too bad the old George Bush JR. didn't think that dethroning a 'tyrant' who has 'carried out unspeakable acts of violence against his own people' to be worthy of US intervention.
Oh wait..you have to have oil in order for it to be worthy of intervention, that's right.

Kim Jong is a joke..

EuropIan
18th April 09, 11:03 AM
^that makes me wanna see it happen
Needs a graphics overhaul as well.
http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/4858/Red%20Storm%20Rising_5.png

Ajamil
18th April 09, 01:21 PM
How would attacking North Korea be any different than attacking Iraq, Iran, or Afghanistan? Why would we think a country has any ability to bomb NK into a smoldering heap and retain good relations with the rest of the world?

I agree this is posturing threats and BS - I imagine to try and find some shaky way to back out of whatever deals were met in those 6-party talks. Still, I don't think we could go in there the same way as Iraq when the leader is a madman who might very well turn those missiles on his own land to bomb us when we're there.

Kind of like a hostage situation and the plans so far are to demolish the building.

Sun Wukong
18th April 09, 01:50 PM
here's the problem with north korea, and this is something that should be taken seriously: they launched a non-warhead rocket toward US soil and announced they were resuming their research for nuclear weapons.

That is sabre rattling for sure, but you can't let something like that go unanswered a second time and they clearly can't be trusted with any nuclear device. they would use it immediately in case of any incursion into their territory or military intervention.

this is not a case like Iraq, in that KJI has already displayed a primitive but functional facility for creation of fissile material. This is different because they clearly fully intend to hold the entire region for ransome if they achieve the weapon they are working for, just like they have been doing with South Korea (and their own citizenry) since the end of the Korea war with conventional artillery.

I'm not suggesting an invasion, I'm suggesting an extended bombing campaign. The loss of life would be tragic I know, but this path that NK has been exploiting is reaching an intolerable stage.

WarPhalange
18th April 09, 02:04 PM
No. No bombings. Civilians don't deserve to be punished for what their idiot of a leader does. Especially if they have no choice over whether or not to live there.

Assassination, god dammit. Take out Kim Jong-Shithead and any other lunatic associated with him that would want to rule NK. Creates a power vacuum, yes, but can it honestly get much worse for the people living there?

http://www.cracked.com/article_17165_6-reasons-north-korea-funniest-evil-dictatorship-ever.html

Wounded Ronin
18th April 09, 02:09 PM
Needs a graphics overhaul as well.
http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/4858/Red%20Storm%20Rising_5.png

Thread won.

Cullion
18th April 09, 02:19 PM
No. No bombings. Civilians don't deserve to be punished for what their idiot of a leader does. Especially if they have no choice over whether or not to live there.

Assassination, god dammit. Take out Kim Jong-Shithead and any other lunatic associated with him that would want to rule NK. Creates a power vacuum, yes, but can it honestly get much worse for the people living there?

http://www.cracked.com/article_17165_6-reasons-north-korea-funniest-evil-dictatorship-ever.html

I agree with the sentiment, but in practice I don't think assasinating paranoid military dictators is easy to pull off.

Whatever happens will need to be cleared with China first I think.

WarPhalange
18th April 09, 02:31 PM
Do you think China thinks it's too lulzy to stop? I can almost imagine it being a sit com for them.

HappyOldGuy
18th April 09, 02:47 PM
Seriously. China would react to any military action against North Korea with extreme measures.

WarPhalange
18th April 09, 02:50 PM
Why? Does NK just detract negative attention from China?

Cullion
18th April 09, 03:13 PM
I think it depends. I've read about China giving the North Korean leadership little diplomatic smackdowns before. Instead of pissing them off by unilaterally having America launch an attack, perhaps they can be quietly persuaded that North Korea are just being dicks.

I picture the situation as analogous to the movie 'Mean Streets'. China being Charlie played by Harvey Keitel, and North Korea being Johnny Boy played by De Neiro. Charlie should've kicked his ass good and hard right at the beginning.

HappyOldGuy
18th April 09, 03:39 PM
Why? Does NK just detract negative attention from China?

North Kores is essentially a client state of China. That doesn't mean that China would never discipline her wayward child but it absolutely means that China is going to go apeshit insane on anyone else who does. Strategically North Korea is a tool against the US, South Korea, and Japan, but the historical relationship and the border are the big deal IIRC.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
18th April 09, 03:55 PM

i am so buying a north korea t-shirt

Plasma
18th April 09, 04:09 PM
Too bad the old George Bush JR. didn't think that dethroning a 'tyrant' who has 'carried out unspeakable acts of violence against his own people' to be worthy of US intervention.
Oh wait..you have to have oil in order for it to be worthy of intervention, that's right.

Kim Jong is a joke..

You are making judgments on a complex issue. The US can't make a move against North Korea without involving the Chinese and at the moment it seems the Chinese are happy to let North Korea stay the way it is if only to prevent the waves of North Korean refugees from entering China.

While it nice to blame "oil" for US military action, the world is more complex than that.

Cullion
18th April 09, 05:25 PM
How much does North Korea's 'time of the month' bullshit affect trade in Asia?

I genuinely don't know. My guess is that sabre-rattling sufficient to fuck with commodity prices or shipping costs could possibly piss China off to no end and goad them into reminding rickle Norf korea how strong its pimp-hand was.

EuropIan
18th April 09, 05:39 PM
It's costumary for the Japanese to poop their pants when the N.Koreans rattle their saber

Cullion
18th April 09, 05:46 PM
I just read that site poop-loops posted. OMG!

WarPhalange
18th April 09, 06:06 PM
See? This is why I can't take NK seriously and see no reason why China would care what we do to them. It's not like China depends on them or anything.

Sun Wukong
18th April 09, 06:44 PM
Seriously. China would react to any military action against North Korea with extreme measures.

I'm not so sure that's the case. Many people in government in China, and indeed many Chinese don't really like North Korea. Among the educated, most that I have talked to view the Korean war as a giant waste of life and time.

Sun Wukong
18th April 09, 06:46 PM

Were these the bad old days of prolific Maoist propaganda, that might happen, but these days, my bet is that they would publicly decry the action and request to be part of the "security forces" that move in to rebuild and rehabilitate NK.

Cullion
18th April 09, 06:52 PM
That's what my hunch was. I think this could be handled pretty quickly by having a few serious American diplomats talk to China and say 'something needs to be done about that red-headed stepchild there. they're fucking things up for both of us. obviously, we don't want to do anything hasty or stupid. tell me mr. chinese diplomat, what do you see as the options?'

HappyOldGuy
18th April 09, 06:54 PM
Why would they want to help us with something that is terrifically distracting and expensive for us to deal with?

Cullion
18th April 09, 06:58 PM
Well, that's what my first question was. 'I wonder how much trouble they cause for China too?'

I'm working on the hunch that cockfaced sabre-rattling like that might cause trouble for Asian trade which could piss China off. I can't see that they get much useful back from this relatonship.

3moose1
18th April 09, 08:08 PM
I think china likes U.S. $$$ more then NK blowjobs.

OZZ
18th April 09, 10:50 PM
You are making judgments on a complex issue. The US can't make a move against North Korea without involving the Chinese and at the moment it seems the Chinese are happy to let North Korea stay the way it is if only to prevent the waves of North Korean refugees from entering China.

While it nice to blame "oil" for US military action, the world is more complex than that.

My post was very tongue- in - cheek and hardly indicative of a serious analysis of the larger issue. A genius like you should have figured that out..
However..if NK did not have China watching its ass, and had resources ( oil, for instance) that the US wanted - do you not think there is an itsy bitsy chance that the United States, in all their self-righteous glory, might have decided to save the poor, oppressed North Koreans from their demented, cruel leader by invading a while back?
Just maybe?

partyboy
19th April 09, 10:11 AM
the only thing that N. Korea has right now in the way of resources is koreans and land mines... and we get all the koreans we need from Seoul.

OZZ
20th April 09, 03:43 PM
Amen.

theotherserge
20th April 09, 10:38 PM
That's what my hunch was. I think this could be handled pretty quickly by having a few serious American diplomats talk to China and say 'something needs to be done about that red-headed stepchild there. they're fucking things up for both of us. obviously, we don't want to do anything hasty or stupid. tell me mr. chinese diplomat, what do you see as the options?'

which is why its so incredibly stupid that we've leveraged our monetary future on Chinese-purchased paper. Now our options are even further reduced. Might as well put China in charge...

EuropIan
20th April 09, 10:46 PM
the only thing that N. Korea has right now in the way of resources is koreans and land mines... and we get all the koreans we need from Seoul.
Yeah it's not like I need even more people to beat me at video games.

-------------------------------------------------
America: I tired of being the worlds policeman, you guys suck!
NK: Suck it, everyone. I'm fucking HARDCORE BITCHES
Japan: OH JEEZUSCHRISTGODBUDDHAAMETERASU *faints*
Europe:.....
America: Um, Chinaaaa? Could you please take care of this. You're so big and strong afterall
China: *sigh* first I lend you money, now this?

Virus
21st April 09, 10:04 AM
Question: Who is the North Korean head of state?

EuropIan
21st April 09, 10:23 AM
Kim Jong Il or one of his doubles.

Ajamil
21st April 09, 02:49 PM
After thinking this was a trick question and looking it up, I discover that KJI is not the head of state - his father apparently declared himself eternal president. I never realized KJI is living under the largest "father shadow" in current times.

Virus
22nd April 09, 03:06 AM
That's correct. Jim Il Sung is the eternal president of NK, his son is the Chairman of National Defense. Their official head of state has been dead for fifteen years but is believed to live on and continue to govern in spirit with the help of magic powers.

mrm1775
22nd April 09, 04:06 AM
Its one of those little idiosyncrasies that makes NK the cartoonish stereotype of a communist dictatorship that it is.

I have always wondered if how much KJL's psychology is affected by the fact that he knows he will always play second fiddle to a dead guy.

Virus
22nd April 09, 04:36 AM
I've got one of "those questions";

Where would you rather live?

a) North Korea
b) Saudi Arabia
c) Afghanistan (Taliban region)

3moose1
22nd April 09, 05:42 AM
Oh snap.

Probably Saudi Arabia. Fatoush is pretty tasty.

But yeah, I declare myself eternal President of the world.

Virus
22nd April 09, 05:47 AM
Oh snap.

But yeah, I declare myself eternal President of the world.

I'm afraid that isn't possible without t3h magic powers or a huge propaganda division.

I can agree with your choice of country, at least Saudi Arabia is ridiculously rich with high living standards.

Cullion
22nd April 09, 01:44 PM

a) North Korea
b) Saudi Arabia

If somebody picks Saudi Arabia, can it be in one of the compounds the western oil industry workers tend to live in where the relgious police turn a blind eye and leave people alone as long as you behave yourself when there are other Saudis around?

Cullion
22nd April 09, 01:44 PM
That's correct. Jim Il Sung is the eternal president of NK, his son is the Chairman of National Defense. Their official head of state has been dead for fifteen years but is believed to live on and continue to govern in spirit with the help of magic powers.

you can't prove he doesn't.

mrm1775
22nd April 09, 04:01 PM

a) North Korea
b) Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia.

The lack of freedom isn't as much of an issue as long as you're male, and its the only one you can easily leave.

Virus
22nd April 09, 10:04 PM
you can't prove he doesn't.

The burden of proof isn't mine.

WarPhalange
23rd April 09, 12:37 AM
The burden of proof isn't mine.

The burden of having a sense of humor isn't yours either, apparently.

HappyOldGuy
23rd April 09, 10:39 AM
Besides, the law of conservation of batfuck insane says he actually does.

DerAuslander108
23rd April 09, 12:51 PM
who else thinks that the US having a war with N. Korea would be like re-enacting Red Storm Rising except with the US having modern day tech?

I think you're a fucking idiot.

DerAuslander108
23rd April 09, 12:53 PM
I'm not suggesting an invasion, I'm suggesting an extended bombing campaign. The loss of life would be tragic I know, but this path that NK has been exploiting is reaching an intolerable stage.

I am suggesting that you are fucking idiot Sinophile who doesn't have a god damn clue what he's talking about.

DerAuslander108
23rd April 09, 12:53 PM
How would attacking North Korea be any different than attacking Iraq, Iran, or Afghanistan?

South Korea.

jubei33
23rd April 09, 04:50 PM
South Korea.
no doubt. Seoul within range of artillery, that would be a tragedy. I doubt making NK a worse shithole would be a justifiable trade. Just not worth it.

Ajamil
24th April 09, 01:12 AM
South Korea.

Israel.

3moose1
24th April 09, 07:10 AM
Oh, my bad.

I forgot that we cared about those places.

(because i don't. I'm sick of our country being the mother fucking pig for all these bitch nations, just suckling away on us.)

EuropIan
24th April 09, 07:16 AM
^ hahahahahahahaha!

Shawarma
24th April 09, 07:49 AM
It's a shame that Auslander never actually debates anything anymore. He has the worst case of yellow fever I've ever seen and thus knows a few things about Korean affairs. But all his posts these days amount to "You're wrong, I'm right, shut up fag."

DerAuslander108
24th April 09, 01:17 PM
It's a shame that Auslander never actually debates anything anymore. He has the worst case of yellow fever I've ever seen and thus knows a few things about Korean affairs. But all his posts these days amount to "You're wrong, I'm right, shut up fag."

You're wrong.

DerAuslander108
24th April 09, 01:19 PM
Israel.

Which has a completely different political relationship with the nations in question compared to South Korea's realtionship with the North.

Ajamil
26th April 09, 09:12 AM
Does that alter the US's reason for involvement?