PDA

View Full Version : Post a price range, I will tell you what is the best car per dollar for it.

Sirc
15th April 09, 07:14 AM
As the title says. Post a price range with about $3000 deviation between lowest to highest and I'll tell you which car is best car per dollar.

partyboy
15th April 09, 07:27 AM
$57,000

... and I already know the car I want for that price -

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008_m3-thumb.jpg

http://www.bohp.net/blog/pict3/news060202m-logo.jpg

EDIT: put a smaller pic in to clear the sand out of sirc's 'giner

Sirc
15th April 09, 07:36 AM
New M3's are "yawn" and "blah."

They have no heart or soul and suck. So, you're wrong.

partyboy
15th April 09, 09:00 AM
oh... was the title of this thread "sirc whines about someone's opinion again"?

dang, must have misread

ICY
15th April 09, 09:56 AM
0-3000

Neildo
15th April 09, 10:13 AM
i want a used 93 pontiac firefly which is actually a re-badged suzuki swift except has an intercooler and turbocharger. i expect to spend $1500.

i also want a Skyline r32. i think i can get one used for about $10,000

theotherserge
15th April 09, 10:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKIeaqtPzY

Neildo
15th April 09, 10:23 AM
that appears to have some low-end torque.

Sirc
15th April 09, 01:00 PM
oh... was the title of this thread "sirc whines about someone's opinion again"?

dang, must have misread

Don't blame me because you are a shameless asshat who has no taste in good cars. You're the kind of douche who, if had the money but you don't because you're a poor faggot, would buy a Ferrari 360 Modena because you don't know any better. It's ok, it's in your nature "partyboy" and I can't fault you for being mediocre.

Also resize your pictures, you're breaking the page tables.

0-3000

Daily Driver - 1994 Honda Civic
Fun Car - 1985 Toyota Starlet or 1992 MR2 Turbo
Zombie Affliction - Military Truck auction. Any of them that are diesel.

partyboy
15th April 09, 02:16 PM
now that you're done whining about something again - I want to hear what car you'd get for $55-58,000

Sirc
15th April 09, 02:56 PM
now that you're done whining about something again - I want to hear what car you'd get for $55-58,000

Porsche 911 turbo.

ICY
15th April 09, 03:10 PM
Er...Starlets were never released in Canada AFAIK, MR2 Turbos aren't that cheap, and where would I find one of these military auctions/how many thousand should I plan on spending to fix one of those trucks?

Neildo
15th April 09, 03:23 PM
i'm not sure about a military auction but you can get awesome deals at the police auctions. i know someone who got a squad car from the mid-1980's, still had the police interceptor engine. inside was stripped out, seats beat up and ripped, no carpets, still had the fittings for the CB radio, but no radio, and you could see where the plexiglass divider thing had been installed and poorly removed, but that engine whupped so much ass.

Sirc
15th April 09, 03:24 PM
Er...Starlets were never released in Canada AFAIK, MR2 Turbos aren't that cheap, and where would I find one of these military auctions/how many thousand should I plan on spending to fix one of those trucks?

Oh yeah, you live in Canada where they don't like to have fun. MR2 turbos ARE that cheap. Probably just not where you live.

And those military trucks are pretty much unbreakable. Buy it, do an oil change, spark plugs and belts and you should be good. It'll probably run you like $100 + change to do. They are incredibly absurdly awesome though. There are websites online that people go to sell them. I saw a Hummer H1 military version go for $1200, still running.

Robot Jesus
15th April 09, 04:27 PM
what would be a good price for a 2005 toyota carolla standard with low milage and power locks?

Sirc
15th April 09, 06:06 PM
what would be a good price for a 2005 toyota carolla standard with low milage and power locks?

No more than $8,000-10,000. $10,000 if it's a dealer and it comes with some implied warranty.

Zendetta
15th April 09, 06:15 PM
What's your opinion on 4Runners?

Sirc
15th April 09, 07:51 PM
What's your opinion on 4Runners?

I think they are really cool. Tough, and awesome. They are the SUV Tacoma.

FickleFingerOfFate
15th April 09, 08:06 PM
In answer to the $57,000 question,

this is another opinion.

http://www.max71.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2009_cadillac_cts_v_0_430.jpg
http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/cts-v-logo-400.jpg

Zendetta
15th April 09, 08:07 PM
I think they are really cool. Tough, and awesome. They are the SUV Tacoma.

What years would you recomend or avoid?

Sirc
15th April 09, 09:00 PM
89-96 4runners are good. Ironically, the older one you get, the tougher it is.

I've personally owned a 4runner that had 400k miles on it, never had a clutch, ran on dry oil and no coolant. It was the farm truck and would haul everything all day long like a champ and got 30mpg. You didn't have to use the clutch to shift, you just put the lever in gear (no rev matching needed) and it would just keep going. Eventually it caught on fire, but we still drove it to the side of the street to get picked up and taken to the junk yard.

In answer to the $57,000 question,

this is another opinion.

http://www.max71.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2009_cadillac_cts_v_0_430.jpg
http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/cts-v-logo-400.jpg

CTS-V is ok. It's kind of cool and stuff, but it suffers from a shitty build quality.

Zendetta
15th April 09, 09:04 PM
That's awesome. I know the circa '85 models are a hot item for Rock Crawlin' because they are indestructible.

I almost bought a very cheap '95 the other day.

Sirc
15th April 09, 09:18 PM
That's awesome. I know the circa '85 models are a hot item for Rock Crawlin' because they are indestructible.

I almost bought a very cheap '95 the other day.

You can get them all day long for $1000-3000. They are INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Lrk6vsb77xk

0Uc4Ksz3nHM

YfZDtC9kjVk

Zendetta
15th April 09, 09:31 PM
Ho Lee Phuk.

That is completely awesome. Now I want one just to see what kinds of horrible shit it can survive.

Sirc
15th April 09, 09:38 PM
I've tried to drown it. It will run.

Sometimes I was scared that it was sentient.

Zendetta
15th April 09, 09:40 PM
Deisel, right?

Put a .50 caliber machine gun in the bed and you have what constitutes a tank for most of the third world.

ojgsxr6
15th April 09, 09:46 PM
I want to get a 350Z, convince me I'm wrong or I'm going to have to throw my money away on one.

Sirc
15th April 09, 10:51 PM
Deisel, right?

Put a .50 caliber machine gun in the bed and you have what constitutes a tank for most of the third world.

No no no. Get the gas engine. Get the 22RE. That thing is AMAZING.

I want to get a 350Z, convince me I'm wrong or I'm going to have to throw my money away on one.

Don't bother. If you want to get a 350Z, just spend the extra few grand and get a 370z. You're throwing your money away. The one I drove was, meh, at best. 370z looks like a retarded fish, but it is very fun to drive.

theotherserge
16th April 09, 12:14 AM
I had an 84 Toyota pickup. At about 180,000 miles it started rod-knocking, I figured it would die any day. It ran for another 100k until a Porsche ran a red light and blindsided me. LOL. $800 truck>$45,000 sports car!

Still, for tough I'd go Pinzgauer:
http://www.pinzgauersales.com/pinzgauer_for_sale/Pinzgauer-712M-1978.jpg

but you'll pay $15-20,000+

Sirc
16th April 09, 12:16 AM
I had an 84 Toyota pickup. At about 180,000 miles it started rod-knocking, I figured it would die any day. It ran for another 100k until a Porsche ran a red light and blindsided me. LOL. $800 truck>$45,000 sports car!

Still, for tough I'd go Pinzgauer:
http://www.pinzgauersales.com/pinzgauer_for_sale/Pinzgauer-712M-1978.jpg

but you'll pay $15-20,000+

god those are amazing trucks.

theotherserge
16th April 09, 01:10 AM
^Makes me want to beat-off!

Neildo
16th April 09, 06:42 AM
CTS-V is ok. It's kind of cool and stuff, but it suffers from a shitty build quality.

it's a saab underneath.

FickleFingerOfFate
16th April 09, 07:32 AM
it's a saab underneath.

Um, no.

There may be a Saab built on that platform,

but it was originally engineered to be a Cadillac.

I worked on the original prototypes, and several of the upgrades.

Zendetta
16th April 09, 08:50 AM
No no no. Get the gas engine

Oh, for sure, I hate the smell of diesel. I meant the one you tried to drown.

partyboy
16th April 09, 09:57 AM
Porsche 911 turbo.

I want a car that I can also drive every day... I wouldn't use a 911 as my main car

Neildo
16th April 09, 10:22 AM
my bad, the european versions were based on the saab 9-3. i guess they made some in china too but if the build quality on the american ones isn't that good, i can only image how bad the chinese ones must be.

CTS-V isn't bad, but for the price you can get a german sedan that is much better.

Ajamil
16th April 09, 11:12 AM
Our temple in Tucson had a Pinzgauer. We (read the temple pres.) were hoping to start an offroad tour thingy at our center in Sedona. Our pres. didn't always have the best ideas...

Still, it was fun to drive around in that thing.

ojgsxr6
16th April 09, 11:22 AM
The Porsche is an everyday driver, it's one of the many things that make it so awesome.

Sirc
16th April 09, 11:27 AM
Um, no.

There may be a Saab built on that platform,

but it was originally engineered to be a Cadillac.

I worked on the original prototypes, and several of the upgrades.

He's right neildo.

If it was built by Saab, it would have better build quality.

Sirc
16th April 09, 11:33 AM
I want a car that I can also drive every day... I wouldn't use a 911 as my main car

You know you might as well just get a 1 series and get douche tatoo'd on your forehead. It's about the same as owning a new M3.

If you want a sports coupe, then get an E36 M3 or E46 M3. They say, "I'm a connoisseur" instead of, "I'm a dickwad with no taste!"

RickTheCritic
16th April 09, 01:01 PM
Nice thread !

Any good vehicles between $3,000-6,000 for a first time driver?

Sirc
16th April 09, 01:51 PM
Nice thread !

Any good vehicles between $3,000-6,000 for a first time driver?

Daily Driver: Acura Integra GSR, sedan. Good gas mileage (27-30), 4 doors, fun, and practical.

Fun car: high mileage WRX, salvage titled or theft recovery. MR2 Turbo. R32 Jetta.

Alternatives: Mustang GT. Shitty Gas Mileage, but makes up for it in torque. Takes more money to be all around competitive with the Integra.

Celica GT, cheap, affordable, sporty and fun. Not as practical as the integra though.

New car downpayment: Honda Fit. I cannot tell you how much I love these things.

JohnnyCache
16th April 09, 02:47 PM
A regular WRX is a good tuning project, too.

What do you think of the 09 Challenger? also, I am completely in earnest here, I could probably get you a decent commission if you can direct me to multiple h1s in running, drivable condition for <5k each. PM me or txt me.

also, while this is not "my" thread, I have to say that personally, for an indestructible all weather car, I had a 92 ford explorer that I actually stopped maintaining in a deliberate attempt to kill it out of curiosity.

I sold it about 3 years/ 25k miles later. In 2008. Tough fucking vehicle. All the nice shit on broke off - all the door latches, dash knobs, that shit was showing its age, but the power train, the heater core, and the engine? Timex.

Sirc
16th April 09, 02:56 PM
A regular WRX is a good tuning project, too.

What do you think of the 09 Challenger? also, I am completely in earnest here, I could probably get you a decent commission if you can direct me to multiple h1s in running, drivable condition for <5k each. PM me or txt me.

also, while this is not "my" thread, I have to say that personally, for an indestructible all weather car, I had a 92 ford explorer that I actually stopped maintaining in a deliberate attempt to kill it out of curiosity.

I sold it about 3 years/ 25k miles later. In 2008. Tough fucking vehicle. All the nice shit on broke off - all the door latches, dash knobs, that shit was showing its age, but the power train, the heater core, and the engine? Timex.

I think that the 09 Challengers are really cool homages. Nothing fancy, but they never claimed it to be more than it is. I think they are great homages to American industry. I actually kind of like them.

I will do that next time I see the H1's for sale. Old Explorers were awesome. They are, in my heart, the only real SUV's ever made.

JohnnyCache
16th April 09, 03:08 PM
My uncle just picked up the Challenger in "pull me over and beat me to death" red, in the second package from the top. I don't know much about it but it's red and it goes fast and the seats are made from a whole dead cow and the inside is like an airplane.

JohnnyCache
16th April 09, 03:11 PM
on topic: you have 2k in cash and an 05 explorer you owe maybe 7k on. You have good credit and like a payment of about 300 bucks a month. You have some winter driving concerns and like a sporty ride with a great deal of head and leg room. You would prefer not to drive a truck.

What do you buy?

Spade: The Real Snake
16th April 09, 03:22 PM
Daily Driver: Acura Integra GSR, sedan. Good gas mileage (27-30), 4 doors, fun, and practical.

I had a '94 GSR 2 door coupe and loved it.

partyboy
16th April 09, 03:57 PM
My uncle just picked up the Challenger in "pull me over and beat me to death" red, in the second package from the top. I don't know much about it but it's red and it goes fast and the seats are made from a whole dead cow and the inside is like an airplane.

the challenger SRT8 was what I originally had planned as my next car. unfortunately chrysler has pissed me off so much in the last 4 years that I started looking overseas for my ride

Neildo
16th April 09, 04:40 PM
isn't chrysler about to go tits up? wait a year and get one for nothing.

my neighbour has a 300c srt8. looks BOSS but probably handles like a refrigerator. the engine block makes me all tingly. i should have taken a picture. it's superpimp. in fact, i saw a pimp dropping off ho's in a 300c today. it's the new pimpmobile.

partyboy
16th April 09, 05:42 PM

my neighbour has a 300c srt8. looks BOSS but probably handles like a refrigerator. the engine block makes me all tingly. i should have taken a picture. it's superpimp. in fact, i saw a pimp dropping off ho's in a 300c today. it's the new pimpmobile.

the 300C is my current car

(waits for sirc to finish another rant)

...and I have really liked it these past 4 years. decent amount of power with the usual comforts of a luxury car. but like i said, chrysler has pissed me off too much and that's why i'm looking at trading it for something leaner, snazzier, and more expensive

Sirc
16th April 09, 08:44 PM
on topic: you have 2k in cash and an 05 explorer you owe maybe 7k on. You have good credit and like a payment of about 300 bucks a month. You have some winter driving concerns and like a sporty ride with a great deal of head and leg room. You would prefer not to drive a truck.

What do you buy?

WRX or STi. You would actually fit in one too. For you, get the 04-05 WRX or STi. Either one will be fun and sporty and have enough HP for you to get into trouble with. If you're looking for more practicality, get the WRX Wagon. Best all-around everywhere car. Decent gas mileage 25-28ish, 230hp, easily can make up to about 250hp no problem, AWD, and everything from the STi is swappable over.

Or, I'd get an 06 Legacy GT or Forrester XT. Those are fucking PIMP cars, sir. P.I.M.P. Pimp.

the 300C is my current car

(waits for sirc to finish another rant)

...and I have really liked it these past 4 years. decent amount of power with the usual comforts of a luxury car. but like i said, chrysler has pissed me off too much and that's why i'm looking at trading it for something leaner, snazzier, and more expensive

Ahahahaha. That somehow doesn't surprise me.

The 300 is the Rolls royce Phantom for the poor man. It's quite possibly the most piss poor build quality luxury car I've ever been in. Plastic interior with nothing inspirational. The brakes are awesome, but the car weighs as much as an SUV but is 1/4 the size.

It pushes harder than a USDM Civic EX and plows through every corner. It is like driving a retarded milk truck.

However, it was never meant to do that. It was meant to go 45mph in traffic cruising around town, which it does very well. But so does the new Corollas, which look really good and have better build quality and are like $20,000 cheaper.

Just get an Audi A4. That fits you perfectly.

Sirc
16th April 09, 09:16 PM
http://www.autospectator.com/cars/files/images/Audi-A4-S.Image.jpg

Ballin'

JohnnyCache
16th April 09, 10:36 PM
I don't fit great in an STI. I can ride in one, but I don't know if I would want to drive in one long distances.

Sirc
17th April 09, 12:31 AM
Then try the Legacy or the Forrester XT. Both are PIMP cars. They suit you better. The Legacy is a larger Impreza, essentially and only weights 60lbs more than the impreza, but with 100% more baller status and same performance.

http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/2007_Subaru_Legacy_GT_Spec.B.jpg

Japuma
17th April 09, 07:01 AM
Legacy GT Spec B FTW.... So sexy
http://www.car-list.com/newcars/2007/image/2007_subaru_legacy_gt_sedan.jpg

Japuma
17th April 09, 07:07 AM
I like the Mazdaspeed 3 alot too... Under 25K new
http://www.motorportal.com/Mazda%20News/images/MAZDASPEED3_front34_3.jpg

Neildo
17th April 09, 10:33 AM
i never rode in an mx-5 before today. i want one now. mazdas rock.

JohnnyCache
17th April 09, 06:46 PM
Then try the Legacy or the Forrester XT. Both are PIMP cars. They suit you better. The Legacy is a larger Impreza, essentially and only weights 60lbs more than the impreza, but with 100% more baller status and same performance.

http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/2007_Subaru_Legacy_GT_Spec.B.jpg

My homey had a legacy GT in all black - it was fucking pimp. Still a little small for me though - I have a really long torso. And long legs. And long everything.

Plasma
17th April 09, 07:48 PM
Ok Sirc I'll bite.

$18K-$25K. Been Looking at the Scion Tc. I currently have a Toyota Celica and would like to replace it with something that handles similarly.

Sirc
17th April 09, 10:52 PM
Ok Sirc I'll bite.

$18K-$25K. Been Looking at the Scion Tc. I currently have a Toyota Celica and would like to replace it with something that handles similarly.

Then Stay away from the Scion. It's a piece of shit for the most part.

If you've got that much to blow, then find yourself an '05 STi or 04' Evo. If you're looking for new, you cannot beat the Honda Fit, Suzuki SX4 (not the sedan), 09 WRX, Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed Protege, BMW E46 M3, Mazda RX-8, Mazda RX-7, or Acura TSX.

Any of those are leagues beyond the TC. If it were me, I'd get the '05 STi. They can be had for about $22k, and since you live in a non-communist state, throw on some Coilovers, tires and wheels and be done with it. Or I'd get an Evo and just get better tires and be done with it.

If you're not looking for sporty though, then I'd get a Legacy GT all black, black wheels and some Kumho Ecsta XS tires and tint the windows. If not the Legacy then I'd go with a Lexus IS250. One of my favorite looking new car right now.

http://www.tuningnews.net/news/080512a/lexus-is-250-sr.jpg

Sexy as fuck. It outhandles the Celica by miles, but the Celica doesn't handle all that well in the first place.

Sirc
17th April 09, 10:56 PM
My homey had a legacy GT in all black - it was fucking pimp. Still a little small for me though - I have a really long torso. And long legs. And long everything.

Try the Forester XT. That sounds more like your thing anyway. It's fast and fun and a sleeper car. Get it in black, throw some STi wheels on it and STi it out.

http://www.carpw.com/pictures/subaru/JDM_Forester_STi_2005_1.jpg

Imagine that, but black.

JohnnyCache
18th April 09, 01:54 AM
I might actually take a look at that. You're a nice young man.

Neildo
18th April 09, 03:48 AM
I'd go with a Lexus IS250. One of my favorite looking new car right now.

Sexy as fuck. It outhandles the Celica by miles, but the Celica doesn't handle all that well in the first place.

have you seen the is350? i dare say it's sexier.

Sirc
18th April 09, 03:55 PM
have you seen the is350? i dare say it's sexier.

They look almost exactly the same. I like the 250 because it's smaller and turns better.

Sirc
18th April 09, 03:56 PM
I might actually take a look at that. You're a nice young man.

You'll want to look at the 05-06. They have the EJ255, which is the same motor as it is in the WRX. So something like 230hp or something.

Halfrican
18th April 09, 06:19 PM
This car will make me go electric. Fucking HOT!

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/1_a2(1).jpg

Shawarma
19th April 09, 06:57 AM
Why does the front of the car look like the face of a manga character?

Sirc
19th April 09, 11:57 AM
Why does the front of the car look like the face of a manga character?

Because due to laws passed in the UK, cars are being designed with the snub nose. It is to prevent people from rolling over cars and being killed via getting rolled over the car and ran over by the person behind them. The snub nose is to get them to fall in front of the car that hit them. The idea is that if you hit someone you'll stop in time to not run them over.

theotherserge
21st April 09, 12:46 AM
^ that is just odd logic. How are you supposed to mowdown the old bitch that lives across the street?

Another note: I've been a large truck dude out of necessity. But I'm sick of this shit! Fords are so ugly now it's a joke and I've never liked the controls on them. Chevys are like assholes-everybody's got one, I recently dropped $3,500 on a new pump&injector manifold for my Dodge Diesel and now the tranny's failing. The Cummins is just too strong for the Chrysler-crap that's built around it. Plus every single American car/truck I drive has some kind of squeak/groan/wiggle sound coming out of the dash after 30,000+mi

I just drove a friend's Nissan Frontier, my god that v-6 is punchy! And it's well built. I hate the styling as it looks like an off-road trainer shoe you'd buy at REI but WTF do I care if I'm behind the wheel?

Sirc
21st April 09, 08:08 AM
^ that is just odd logic. How are you supposed to mowdown the old bitch that lives across the street?

Another note: I've been a large truck dude out of necessity. But I'm sick of this shit! Fords are so ugly now it's a joke and I've never liked the controls on them. Chevys are like assholes-everybody's got one, I recently dropped $3,500 on a new pump&injector manifold for my Dodge Diesel and now the tranny's failing. The Cummins is just too strong for the Chrysler-crap that's built around it. Plus every single American car/truck I drive has some kind of squeak/groan/wiggle sound coming out of the dash after 30,000+mi

I just drove a friend's Nissan Frontier, my god that v-6 is punchy! And it's well built. I hate the styling as it looks like an off-road trainer shoe you'd buy at REI but WTF do I care if I'm behind the wheel?

Toyota Tacoma or Tundra.

Right now, without a semblance of doubt in my mind, Toyota makes the best trucks on the market.

theotherserge
21st April 09, 10:17 AM
Just looking at prices, Toyotas hold their value. A 2001 6cyl for $11k, no way an Ameican truck does that well!

Wonder if they'll take a trade, hmmm.....

A buddy bought a Forrester, having been a BMW driver he was a little reluctant but he found it's fast, handles like an Audi (remarkably so), well appointed and is great for ski-season. I do like the white one^. Too bad Subaru doesn't make trucks.

Sirc
21st April 09, 01:00 PM
Just looking at prices, Toyotas hold their value. A 2001 6cyl for $11k, no way an Ameican truck does that well!

Wonder if they'll take a trade, hmmm.....

A buddy bought a Forrester, having been a BMW driver he was a little reluctant but he found it's fast, handles like an Audi (remarkably so), well appointed and is great for ski-season. I do like the white one^. Too bad Subaru doesn't make trucks.

They do. It's called a Baja. It's shit. I would not trust a Subaru truck.

Subaru transmissions, aside from the STi 6 speed, are shit. The Evo's are worse, but the subaru ones cannot handle torque. A subaru truck would most likely be a huge piece of shit.

But as far as the trade goes, most likely. At some point, when I have money, I want to buy an older Tacoma. Maybe like a 93 or 94. They have the invincibility of the 80's Tacoma's but with the niceties of a newer car.

theotherserge
21st April 09, 01:22 PM
Oh yeah, the ol'Baja! I like the 70's ones that had the same era Padres uniform color:brown&yellow. With the bucket seats in back+Oakley [email protected] armrests. Good luck hanging on!

The reissued Baja was real hit with the fags in SF. I lived there when these yellow with grey trim oddities started popping up. Sort of the "Raver Sport" crowd that would get moving about 11am or later on a weekend morning cause they was out dancing to Cher the night before.

But *Aussie accent* That's^not a truck...

What is the cutoff year for 90's Tacomas? And the v-6 is solid, no?

Sirc
21st April 09, 07:03 PM
Oh yeah, the ol'Baja! I like the 70's ones that had the same era Padres uniform color:brown&yellow. With the bucket seats in back+Oakley [email protected] armrests. Good luck hanging on!

The reissued Baja was real hit with the fags in SF. I lived there when these yellow with grey trim oddities started popping up. Sort of the "Raver Sport" crowd that would get moving about 11am or later on a weekend morning cause they was out dancing to Cher the night before.

But *Aussie accent* That's^not a truck...

What is the cutoff year for 90's Tacomas? And the v-6 is solid, no?

Cut-off is 96. The V6 is SOLID. You can supercharge at no extra cost to your fuel economy.

10-15k. German cars only.
30-40k. German cars only.

10-15k = E36 M3. Best M3 ever.

30-40k = Go to Germany and watch them build your 1 series, then drive it all over germany. It'll cost you about 40k.

fbat
4th May 09, 03:23 PM
Okay, what about the Volvo C30? Any thoughts?

Sirc
4th May 09, 06:11 PM

It's kind of cool I guess for a utilitarian vehicle. :\

FickleFingerOfFate
4th May 09, 06:16 PM

How old are you?

60?

Madgrenade
5th May 09, 08:03 AM
One hundred pounds.

honesty
5th May 09, 09:46 AM
Not having Alfa in your lives is sad. Trying to convince the wife currently that we need to change car and I can buy a 159 estate.

Sirc
5th May 09, 11:41 AM
Not having Alfa in your lives is sad. Trying to convince the wife currently that we need to change car and I can buy a 159 estate.

AR's are the most hideous cars I've ever seen.

honesty
5th May 09, 12:57 PM
That explains a lot...

fbat
6th May 09, 08:49 AM
How old are you?

60?

When it comes to driving, yes.

Sirc
6th May 09, 07:10 PM
Alfas are terrible cars.

Dark Helmet
6th May 09, 09:02 PM
Alfas are terrible cars.
But thats not what you said earlier. You said they were 'most hideous cars'. Now you say they're terrible I mean.... which is it?

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5839/alfaromeo8ccompetizione.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alfaromeo8ccompetizione.jpg)

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1728/Alfa-Romeo-8C-Competizione.html

Sirc
6th May 09, 09:30 PM
But thats not what you said earlier. You said they were 'most hideous cars'. Now you say they're terrible I mean.... which is it?

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5839/alfaromeo8ccompetizione.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alfaromeo8ccompetizione.jpg)

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1728/Alfa-Romeo-8C-Competizione.html

Both.

honesty
7th May 09, 02:24 AM
So... last time you drove an Alfa then Sarcastro? which model?

billy sol hurok
7th May 09, 06:18 AM
Not that I'd ever own one, but back in the day I thought the GTA was pretty secksee:

http://www.tuningfever.fr/pics-med-9910-304839-alfa-romeo-giulia-1600-gta.jpg

Kind of like a 2002, but far less ugly and boxy.

Neildo
7th May 09, 08:14 AM
it's slower than everything in its class, and will break down more than everything in its class, or any class really. that said, i still want one. i like the ultra boxy 155. the Brera is tits too.

honesty
7th May 09, 08:38 AM
That who Alfas break down blargh is really no longer applicable. The new ones are just as reliable as any other manufacturer....

theotherserge
7th May 09, 10:26 AM
haven't seen any stats re: current Alfae, based on history though the prognosis isn't good. As Jon Stewart mentioned re:FIAT, "Italy is the country that, with Nazi Germany's help, fought Ethiopia to a standstill." :-)

Srsly, Italians make beautiful things and their industrial grade woodworking machinery is the best stuff. And with everyone building on Japanese assembly models +or- reliability probably is better.

theotherserge
7th May 09, 10:31 AM
SirC, besides the M3 are there other old school BMW's worth gettn? I know the 633/5 is kind of a nightmare. Is there a $4-6k backroads killer that has 4 seats (take the family to the beach in style and enjoy the drive)

Porsche 928? 90's 528 wagon? Datsun B210? :-)

fbat
7th May 09, 10:56 AM
Pick me something for $20K-$30K

Sirc
9th May 09, 07:57 PM
Pick me something for $20K-$30K

New: Mazdaspeed 3

Used: Used STi or Used Evo IX.

SirC, besides the M3 are there other old school BMW's worth gettn? I know the 633/5 is kind of a nightmare. Is there a $4-6k backroads killer that has 4 seats (take the family to the beach in style and enjoy the drive)

Porsche 928? 90's 528 wagon? Datsun B210? :-)

Pretty much not. I mean unless you're looking for comfort or something. 5 series and up are CLASS. Only the Mercedes C class are worth the hype of mercedes.

$4-6k? Ummm... E30 318i probably. Save up some money and toss the M3 engine in there later. If you're looking for something not a BMW between 4-6k, I'd suggest a ~94 Mustang Cobra or a 99-01 Impreza 2.5RS.

I don't see what you guys see in the AR's. I hate them. I can't remember the name of the one we got in America, but it was prety terrible. It felt like driving a USDM Civic DX with $40 mexican tires. Seriously they are foofty asshole cars for drivers who remind me of a burlesque post-1980's Jack Nolty.

theotherserge
9th May 09, 09:00 PM
a girl in college I was attracted to had a 89 or something Alfa. That car was as unstable as she was and I later realized that like her, there was some physical aesthetic but not much else. Definitely no good junk in those trunks...

Sirc
10th May 09, 10:59 AM
Pretty much. Those cars are like really good jokes the first time you hear them. Funny and charming the first time, but boring and upsetting the 5th or 6th time around.

honesty
11th May 09, 03:47 AM
Problem is you're now talking about cars that are at latest from 1995 (last year they exported to the US), so models that are probably more than 14 years old. The current (And previous) line ups have nothing to do with those cars produced at the end of the 80s and early 90s. It seems pretty silly to tar a whole marque with stereotypes based on cars from 2 decades ago...

Sirc
11th May 09, 07:37 AM
Problem is you're now talking about cars that are at latest from 1995 (last year they exported to the US), so models that are probably more than 14 years old. The current (And previous) line ups have nothing to do with those cars produced at the end of the 80s and early 90s. It seems pretty silly to tar a whole marque with stereotypes based on cars from 2 decades ago...

THEY STILL LOOK FUCKING HORRIBLE.

AR only has 1 car that is worth looking at and worth driving. But even then it's still gonna be about 15-20 cars down the list of cars "I would drive but never own."

honesty
11th May 09, 07:54 AM
Well I'd disagree on looks with you, obviously you go for the German box look, but really how can you tell they are worth driving given that they don't even sell them in America for you to test drive? So, just just being a judgemental asshole then? Fair enough, carry on.

Sirc
11th May 09, 01:43 PM
Well I'd disagree on looks with you, obviously you go for the German box look, but really how can you tell they are worth driving given that they don't even sell them in America for you to test drive? So, just just being a judgemental asshole then? Fair enough, carry on.

1. No, I go for well engineered designs. Designs that are based on good engineering wherein the body serves a function. AR's are not that. They are designed by designers, not by engineers.

2. I've a few imported post-1995 AR cars. They are boring and lack any kind of ability.

resolve
1st July 09, 11:46 PM
Hey my sister is looking for a car. Hers broke down and she'd rather get a newer one.

She's looking for something:

In the 7 to $8,000.00 price range.

Less than 70,000 miles.

A sedan with rear passenger room for her friends.

If you can help me help her that would be awesome!

Neildo
2nd July 09, 03:05 AM
Yo SIrc, Sun Wukongs brother-in-law wants to buy a new sporty sedan and is pretty much set on a new WRX STi (i suggested an older one but he wants newnewnew) but i suggested a few others, maybe you can think of something i missed:

Mazda6
Volvo S40R AWD
Lexus IS350 (i know you like the 250 better but i seriously think the 350 is cooler)
Acura TL
Infiniti G37x

Sirc
2nd July 09, 03:27 PM
Hey my sister is looking for a car. Hers broke down and she'd rather get a newer one.

She's looking for something:

In the 7 to $8,000.00 price range.

Less than 70,000 miles.

A sedan with rear passenger room for her friends.

If you can help me help her that would be awesome!

Where do you live?

For $7-8,000 sedan with room, I'd go with a 98 Accord, 98 Camry, 96 Lexus ES300 or a 2000+ Honda Civic. Generally japanese cars from the late 90's are your best bet for these conditions.

You should be able to find a really really really clean one for that price. If you can give me the city I can do some craigslist scouting for you. If you wanna go baller, you can get a E36 BMW of some kind. I love those too, but the maintenance costs will be high.

Yo SIrc, Sun Wukongs brother-in-law wants to buy a new sporty sedan and is pretty much set on a new WRX STi (i suggested an older one but he wants newnewnew) but i suggested a few others, maybe you can think of something i missed:

Mazda6
Volvo S40R AWD
Lexus IS350 (i know you like the 250 better but i seriously think the 350 is cooler)
Acura TL
Infiniti G37x

Mazdaspeed 3
04-07 STi's are much much much faster than the newer ones.
Lexus IS350 is alright.
Acura RL
Go with the 370Z
1 Series
M3

If he wants to be a connoisseur though, get him to buy a 1971 Porsche 911 turbo. That's it I guess.

resolve
2nd July 09, 05:37 PM
She's in Virginia Beach, VA.

And thanks, I'll let her know. She was looking at some 2000-2006es that she found but I don't remember the model she was talking about.

Sirc
2nd July 09, 06:08 PM
Unless she's going for baller status.

Something at 7-8k I'd look into would be a 4runner if she has kids and wants utility. Or even better a RAV4.

I fucking love RAV4's.

Neildo
3rd July 09, 02:35 AM
the 1 series, fairlady, and M3 is a coupe. he needs to be able to get a baby seat and possibly a mother-in-law in the back. i was looking at a mazdaspeed protege in tangerine the other day and i would totally suggest that, but not much for back seat though. he was also thinking of BMW or Audi, but the subaru is more reasonably priced. a new audi sedan will cost a lot of money, and a 5 series beamer will be even more. the RS4 is one badass car, but it's got a badass pricetag to match it's like $60-65,000USD if you can even get one. i don't think bmw has ever made a bad 5-series though. here's jeremy clarkson going on about it: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/339784/top_gear_bmw_m5/

Sirc
6th July 09, 02:24 PM
5 series are kind of stupid to me, but oh well.

partyboy
6th July 09, 03:02 PM
and M3 is a coupe

the M3 comes in both coupe and sedan... (the coupe has decent sized rear seats as well)

Neildo
6th July 09, 07:16 PM
i knew the coupe had decent legroom in the back but i didn't know they made a 3-series sedan. i only ever see the coupes up here. i really like the new styling, especially the headlights.

3moose1
20th August 09, 10:40 PM
Neeecroooo

10k to 20k

Slightly used is alright.

20th August 09, 11:51 PM
Holy fuck you found your way.
Oh, wait......someone gave you a link.
Nevermind.

3moose1
21st August 09, 12:24 AM
Some day, it'll occur to you guys, how inherently fucking ingenious I am.

I could explain, but that would ruin it. Just rest assured someday you'll have a moment of clarity and think, "Holy fuck, Moose is a fucking genius"

Ajamil
21st August 09, 12:45 AM
More like fucking a genius, and we'll all question him how much he paid for it afterwards.

3moose1
21st August 09, 09:23 AM
thats equally possible.

21st August 09, 05:02 PM
Neeecroooo

10k to 20k

Look Here. (http://www.captkool.com/stepvans.htm)

3moose1
21st August 09, 11:09 PM
:(

Sirc
25th August 09, 11:27 AM
Neeecroooo

10k to 20k

For where you live, I'd try to find a used military truck since that'll protect you from the oncoming bullets.

If not, I'd go for a E36 M3. That says, "I have taste and I'm not a cock."

3moose1
25th August 09, 09:04 PM
How do I get one that actually...you know...works?

lolz.

Plus I'm really into into that whole, "buy american cars" thing.

Sirc
26th August 09, 02:23 AM
How do I get one that actually...you know...works?

lolz.

Plus I'm really into into that whole, "buy american cars" thing.

Well I don't know of a car that you could buy that would be a practical american car that has a reputation for reliability.

There aren't very many practical, fun, and general good cars that are american. And for that price range either.

I mean a 94 Mustang Cobra would be kind of fun and would be in that range, I guess. But they have loads and loads of problems.

Otherwise, I'd just suggest getting yourself like a Focus ZX4 or something.

Japuma
26th August 09, 11:22 AM
Technically Ford owned a controling stake of Mazda until November of 2008... Get a Mazdaspeed 3 or a 6.

And really who gives a fuck if it's american, is a fucking used car, no automotive maker is making any money from the sale of it.

3moose1
6th September 09, 02:00 AM
hmm. I was thinking of just buying a fuckin' kia.

Ajamil
6th September 09, 12:05 PM
Kia Souls, apparently, are the hot ticket item. You won't be able to get a good deal on `em.

3moose1
6th September 09, 01:26 PM
I've seen about seventeen billion decent looking kia's, brand new, between 10 and 20k

partyboy
7th September 09, 02:34 AM
I have a '06 chrysler 300C, probably worth at least $15k. I want a '08 BMW M3, probably worth at least $50k. the m3 has been shown to get better mpg than a prius when driving under "stressful" conditions. I consider this to be a good trade-in/purchase. discuss.

Sirc
8th September 09, 04:11 AM
hmm. I was thinking of just buying a fuckin' kia.

You're a fucking idiot.

I have a '06 chrysler 300C, probably worth at least $15k. I want a '08 BMW M3, probably worth at least $50k. the m3 has been shown to get better mpg than a prius when driving under "stressful" conditions. I consider this to be a good trade-in/purchase. discuss.

As are you.

Top Gear tests aren't science. Mazda 2 diesels and Legacy Diesels get better MPG than Prius' but we don't get them because of some bizarre Ford/OPEC conspiracy.

Anyway, you drive a shitty car that says, "I have a small penis and am very insecure." and you want to buy another car that says, "I"m a garbage dick."

3moose1
8th September 09, 09:47 AM
Damnit sirc, what car should I buy, between 10 and 20 grand?

Not some five hundred year old foreign car, but something I can actually find.

Sirc
8th September 09, 02:06 PM
Get a fucking Matrix or 2001 Civic Si or 1994 Cobra Mustang or a 1996 BMW M3 or a 2001 Legacy GT or a 2003 WRX or a 2003 Legacy GT.

Stop being such a faggot.

jvjim
9th September 09, 02:59 AM
cobra mustangs are fucking boss if you can man up to them.

Neildo
9th September 09, 03:02 AM
$300

Sirc
14th September 09, 07:45 PM
$300

1994 Toyota Tercel.

Neildo
14th September 09, 08:03 PM
worrd i'd pimp the shit out of that.

Sirc
14th September 09, 08:07 PM
So would I if I didn't already own a bunch of cars.

Neildo
14th September 09, 08:14 PM
bunch? what did you get since you traded in the mr2 for the 2 imprezas?

i still think the deal my dad got for $300 is pretty badass. 1994 GMC safari AWD. power everything and working AC. the AWD system is pretty decent, it hauls and climbs hills very impressively for a 4000 lb van. gets decent mileage too considering.

it's gonna be invaluable next winter. last winter i saw some douche in a 2006 wrx sti torque-steering all over the place in the snow because the dipshit still had his street slicks on. AWD is worthless if the driver is an idiot.

Totemicist
10th December 09, 09:15 AM
My budget was $10000.00 and I actually bought a mint 2004 VW Passat Highline (TDI 130pd) with 34000 miles.
http://www.auction4cars.com/uploaded/2009-11-7/5382e71b2De7872D4ba02D91082D2f4410597a081.JPG

It is reasonably quick, has all the extras you could shake a stick at and it literally does double the MPG that the 2002 Mini cooper that we just got shot of did.

Out of interest Sirc what would you have recommended.

Sirc
10th December 09, 06:52 PM
lololol you bought a passat.

For $10k and you live where? If you're in europe you're a fucking idiot.

If you live in america, you're just a regular kind of idiot.

$10k would've gotten you a SWEET very well maintained and kept E30 M3.

honesty
11th December 09, 07:11 AM
Totemicist is UK if I remember correctly. I'm not sure you would over here, but I'm not up to prices on BMW's at the moment.

Totemicist
14th December 09, 06:47 AM
lololol you bought a passat.

For $10k and you live where? If you're in europe you're a fucking idiot.

If you live in america, you're just a regular kind of idiot.

$10k would've gotten you a SWEET very well maintained and kept E30 M3.

Incorrect, the car I purchased is the best car I could afford for what I needed,
my needs were:

- 4 doors and plenty of legroom in the back (so if my wife is driving I can sit in the back to keep our baby company without having to bite my knees).

- Room in the boot for a 4 in 1 pram and the weeks shopping.

- Good fuel economy.

- Safety.

- Comfort.

- Reliability (You do not want to breakdown with a newborn in the car screaming out of boredom).

The car I bought does all these things really well; it even has heated seats and an air conditioned glove box (I assume I need an air conditioned glove box to keep chocolate cold?)

The downside is obviously the fact it is ugly as sin and is basically associated with middle aged people who like caravans.

If I had $10,000 and was going to buy a car purely for shits and giggles I would buy an Audi Quattro UR (and then restore it myself to S1 standard) because it is much fucking cooler and better fun to drive than a BMW E30 M3.

Sirc
15th December 09, 07:39 PM
Incorrect, the car I purchased is the best car I could afford for what I needed,
my needs were:

- 4 doors and plenty of legroom in the back (so if my wife is driving I can sit in the back to keep our baby company without having to bite my knees).

- Room in the boot for a 4 in 1 pram and the weeks shopping.

- Good fuel economy.

- Safety.

- Comfort.

- Reliability (You do not want to breakdown with a newborn in the car screaming out of boredom).

The car I bought does all these things really well; it even has heated seats and an air conditioned glove box (I assume I need an air conditioned glove box to keep chocolate cold?)

The downside is obviously the fact it is ugly as sin and is basically associated with middle aged people who like caravans.

If I had $10,000 and was going to buy a car purely for shits and giggles I would buy an Audi Quattro UR (and then restore it myself to S1 standard) because it is much fucking cooler and better fun to drive than a BMW E30 M3.

And yet, at $10,000 you picked a piece of shit.